Would You Spend $2-Million of Sponsorship Dough on a Trailer?

TeamGreen
10/25/2019 6:16pm
So, Bobby spent $2Mil on a new Featherlight?
Hmmmmm...
I’ve I had to guess, probably closer to $500K.
Red Crawford
10/25/2019 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2019 6:42pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Hmmmmm...
The high figure was listed in a video tour of the hauler posted by MotoEffex on YT. I have no idea, hence the first sentence being a question. 😄

Pretty sure BigB pegged the new Kawi trailer at 7-figures in a video tour from last year.

But, those are factory teams that are at the pinnacle of financial corporate resources with a vested interest---and they seem to attract sticky sponsors who are long-term. Honda is not sponsor-driven, so they race without threat. I do not consider JGR nor HEP to be at quite the same level of stability.

Aside, I thought Bobby sold the team a year ago to the factory and stayed on as Race Team CEO?
TeamGreen
10/25/2019 6:45pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Hmmmmm...
The high figure was listed in a video tour of the hauler posted by MotoEffex on YT. I have no idea, hence the first sentence being...
The high figure was listed in a video tour of the hauler posted by MotoEffex on YT. I have no idea, hence the first sentence being a question. 😄

Pretty sure BigB pegged the new Kawi trailer at 7-figures in a video tour from last year.

But, those are factory teams that are at the pinnacle of financial corporate resources with a vested interest---and they seem to attract sticky sponsors who are long-term. Honda is not sponsor-driven, so they race without threat. I do not consider JGR nor HEP to be at quite the same level of stability.

Aside, I thought Bobby sold the team a year ago to the factory and stayed on as Race Team CEO?
He’s the Roger of Husky Laughing
acres951
10/25/2019 6:55pm
3 funmovers gets more eyes on the sponsor. When has 99% of people ever seen a factory rig going down the road for any sport? Never...
3 funmovers gets more eyes on the sponsor.
When has 99% of people ever seen a factory rig going down the road for any sport? Never.
Me, less than 5 times. Lucas, Bud Light, Toyo tires,
Mickey Thompson, and a Ferrari Challenge team.
Only because I was with them.

For the factory, they probably don't care.
For the sub sponsors, they would get 3 times the exposure with 3 smaller rigs.
See, this is the logic that keeps smacking me in the face. If a rider goes down, park his FunMover and allocate those travel expenses into...
See, this is the logic that keeps smacking me in the face. If a rider goes down, park his FunMover and allocate those travel expenses into a reserve account. If you are down to 1 guy (frequently the case due to injuries)----then 1 FunMover and attendant expenses travel and everybody else stays home.

No one has convinced me yet that wrapped semi's are the better financial decision over wrapped funmovers. Sure, it has become the norm----but we also used to allow smoking in restaurants and 2 martini lunches which was cool for smokers and drunks! We had to dial those fockers back a bit, and MX sponsors may have to do the same with teams. 😄
3 drivers vs 1? Fuel? Maybe it’s cheaper with a semi when tco is added up. Beats me

The Shop

RMT
10/25/2019 7:12pm
Wasn’t the original idea to go with one semi va 4 box vans a way to save money? One driver, less fuel?
TeamGreen
10/25/2019 7:22pm
RMT wrote:
Wasn’t the original idea to go with one semi va 4 box vans a way to save money? One driver, less fuel?
In the case of Rockstar Husqvarna, the 2 rigs support 4 to 6 riders depending on the race...
Hospitality (set-up between the 2 trailers. Seating/Hosting for A LOT of people)
Product Presentation Area (bikes on display w/brands that’re team sponsors)
Paul’s Bar-B-Q (the single most important aspect of the Rstar-Husky pits!)

This is pretty much the case with most OEM teams.
mx617
10/25/2019 10:12pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Here is fact many do not want to accept....sorry if it hurts SX/MX is far smaller than most think. Because you think it's awesome (nothing wrong...
Here is fact many do not want to accept....sorry if it hurts

SX/MX is far smaller than most think. Because you think it's awesome (nothing wrong with that), you tend to think everyone thinks it's awesome. You're in a minority, not a majority. As awesome as it is, whatever you think new mx bike sales are, is likely wrong.

It's less, far less

Who buys new bikes every year anymore?? No one. We now race a bike for a few years, modifying to keep up, rather than buying new, crushing OEM sales

Sponsorship is tough
There is limited "billboard space" on each bike, making TV visual space minimal. Gear is covered typically with everyone but the outside sponsor. If you notice, everyone in auto racing refers to their vehicle as the "XXXYZ Ford/Chevy super dart" while in SX/MX they're referred to as only one of the big 5, only

It's not as rich an environment as people think
So talking about Billboard space, TV coverage, and rainy day funds... doesn't anyone at feld see the need tk increase the team sponsor coverage during the tv broadcast?

There's so many things they could do. Run sponsor banner across the bottom during podium interviews, have Ralph mention a sponsor or two while prattling on about the "red Honda", fill some of the dead time with team profiles.

All of which would be aimed at increasing the long term stability of the thing they are marketing, thereby increasing their long term expected profits. Instead of cannibalizing their team sponsors (discount tire, cbdmd, etc).

And on that note, why don't they hire reed as a marketing and sponsorship, pay him 20% of every sale and every makes a killing lol.
mxtech1
10/26/2019 6:39am
I do think a large trailer and tractor are the most efficient way for a team to run. They have to carry enough spare parts to build several bikes including multiple spare motors, frames, and suspension. All of the mechanic's tools, toolboxes, the awning, pit vehicles, displays, etc. They have those things jam packed.

You don't see as many riders using personal RVs anymore, so it is attractive for Team riders to have a nice break room. With most of the big riders flying in to all the races, the team trailer is all they have for 2-3 days on end.

mxtech1
10/26/2019 6:41am
If you think $2M is expensive for racing, spend a little time researching Formula 1 motorhomes.
Bigfoot
10/26/2019 7:07am
How could anyone hope to have decent results without a $2million trailer?
hbdesigns913
10/26/2019 7:23am
TeamGreen wrote:
Hmmmmm...
I’m with you... no way the trailer cost 2 mil. Especially a featherlite. Maybe a T&E would get close to a mil. Were having one built now by competition that will come in right under 650k.

10/26/2019 8:11am
The rigs with the slides are fkn ridiculous. All the custom cabinets, drawers, tool chests, benches, kitchen, full sat systems, generators, etc. That stuff adds up.
brocster
10/26/2019 8:12am
The NASCAR model is too big for our sport...

The word was less box vans, less drivers. However, when a rig has more than two riders they say they are space limited and bring in additional support vehicles

The hospitality should be done in a suite or two with a “tour/visit” to the team pit

Its a shame that more is spent on the support of the show (professional pit presence) vs the guys that are the show. Don’t think the fans really care if its a semi or box van. Its all done to tickle the fancy of the execs and imo its extremely over done.
Red Crawford
10/26/2019 8:44am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2019 8:45am
Just because "we've always had 'em" and "it looks professional", doesn't mean the sport REQUIRES them to be successful.

I always hear that the top riders can "win on anything!" Perhaps they can also win while pitting motorcycles out of something smaller/cheaper than a stacker that was originally intended to haul 2 full size race cars and spare engines that are a wee bit larger than ours. And----if the driver goes down and is not replaced---they park the truck and don't traipes around the globe with an empty truck.

Besides, is the F1 or NASCAR model really gonna work for MX? JGR is anecdotal evidence that it will be a struggle.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
10/26/2019 8:51am
EngIceDave wrote:
What do I know?
How to Perfectly blend chemicals to keep my bike cooler than other brands.

But apparently not much about putting a team together?
10/26/2019 9:00am
2,000,000 is a drop in the bucket for these companies. Just like Jay-Z dropping $45K at the club last night. Do the math, for millionaires and mail lion dollar companies it’s nothing.

I work with elite world class clients in the brokerage world and when we analyze payroll and expenses, $2,000,000 is absolutely nothing....
mx295
10/26/2019 9:06am
Back in 99-2000 we did the west coast sx out of a box van with 3 riders, 2 were well known the 3rd an up and comer. Our budget was $50,000 for both years. That was for everything. The riders rode for no salary just purse money and gave their mechanics 10% of what they won. We actually had money left over each year. I know cost of living is more now but we made it happen because we all loved the sport.
Red Crawford
10/26/2019 9:13am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2019 9:13am
brocster wrote:
The NASCAR model is too big for our sport... The word was less box vans, less drivers. However, when a rig has more than two riders...
The NASCAR model is too big for our sport...

The word was less box vans, less drivers. However, when a rig has more than two riders they say they are space limited and bring in additional support vehicles

The hospitality should be done in a suite or two with a “tour/visit” to the team pit

Its a shame that more is spent on the support of the show (professional pit presence) vs the guys that are the show. Don’t think the fans really care if its a semi or box van. Its all done to tickle the fancy of the execs and imo its extremely over done.
You put the hammer on the nail! 💯👈
Team up a rider/mechanic and give them a funmover. They can live/train in FL or Timbuktu----just have your ass/bike at the assigned tracks.

I find it hard to believe that having a race mechanic working with his rider all week wouldn't be a benefit.
It's the same as working with a partner in a job; the more time together the more intuitively you can act collectively. And, a good partner can double as a therapist. 😄

TeamGreen
10/26/2019 9:14am
I want to have a team sponsored by a BBQ sauce company. That’s where my head is at right now.

philG
10/26/2019 9:30am
mxtech1 wrote:
If you think $2M is expensive for racing, spend a little time researching Formula 1 motorhomes.
There are no motorhomes in F1.. they are mobile buildings these days.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
10/26/2019 11:14am
I just paid 10k for my new husk tx300i. Guess I know why the cost of the bikes is going up. LOL Geez.. I do love my bike though. The TPI is amazing in Colorado elevation changes.
tcallahan707
10/26/2019 2:10pm
Or do a lap AROUND the country instead of criss-cross it 4 times...
olds cool
10/26/2019 7:25pm
Why not rent a good size tent and hire a local caterer for the hospitality? Enough signage and banners should be able to make it presentable/corporate enough. Part of the same tent could used by the race team if necessary. Whatever spares don’t fit in the box van or fun mover could be shipped in a crate like the MXGP teams use for the fly away races. I have a cousin who runs the hospitality gig for one of the major NASCAR sponsors, which is a large global company, and she rents tents and uses local caterers. I’ve never heard her mention a semi running around the country for hospitality for them. Our sport is in a pissing contest that only a very few can participate in. The ridiculous travel schedule zig-zagging back and forth across the continent is another item that should have been figured out by now. If a track owner can’t make a date work for him, find somebody else in that geographic region that can. Flame on...
lumpy790
10/26/2019 8:09pm
Thank you for posting my BV but I moved up to a Super C Fun Mover after sleeping in the BV sleeper for 2 nights in Florida this year.

Having everything needed in 1 place is nice and why teams spend the $$$$ for it.

BTW it cost me $5000 just to half wrap my BV now calculate the SQ difference and wrapping a 18 wheeler costs a TON of $$$$$$$$

BobbyM
10/26/2019 9:09pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
$2M on a very specialized and purpose built piece of equipment that will last you 10+ years isn’t really a big deal in my opinion. I...
$2M on a very specialized and purpose built piece of equipment that will last you 10+ years isn’t really a big deal in my opinion. I imagine the trailer is more of a draw to the support personnel than the rider anyway. The mechanics are the ones who need it most.
Good point but I thought many of these haulers were leased/rented.
BobbyM
10/26/2019 9:16pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Thank you for posting my BV but I moved up to a Super C Fun Mover after sleeping in the BV sleeper for 2 nights in...
Thank you for posting my BV but I moved up to a Super C Fun Mover after sleeping in the BV sleeper for 2 nights in Florida this year.

Having everything needed in 1 place is nice and why teams spend the $$$$ for it.

BTW it cost me $5000 just to half wrap my BV now calculate the SQ difference and wrapping a 18 wheeler costs a TON of $$$$$$$$

Where's the weed tray hidden?
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
10/26/2019 9:38pm
BobbyM wrote:
Where's the weed tray hidden?
I don't know but there's a lot of cookie crumbs on that bed.
10/27/2019 1:01am
Does anyone sleeps in a semi ? no ?
So the paddock is completely empty of people in the night ?
mikec265
10/27/2019 7:14am
JBecker 72 wrote:
$2M on a very specialized and purpose built piece of equipment that will last you 10+ years isn’t really a big deal in my opinion. I...
$2M on a very specialized and purpose built piece of equipment that will last you 10+ years isn’t really a big deal in my opinion. I imagine the trailer is more of a draw to the support personnel than the rider anyway. The mechanics are the ones who need it most.
BobbyM wrote:
Good point but I thought many of these haulers were leased/rented.
It would make sense to lease at least the tractor. After 2 years, a lot of trucking companies are getting rid of them because they are junk with all of the new exhaust emissions. They used to keep trucks for 5 years, or 500,000 to 700,000 miles depending on the company. On top of that the resale value on used trucks is crap because they're junk these days.
usp4u
10/27/2019 8:39am
But do you really thinking they are buying it outright with cash? I doubt it. I would finance it over a 15 year loan. Spend $15,000...
But do you really thinking they are buying it outright with cash? I doubt it.

I would finance it over a 15 year loan. Spend $15,000 per month, that is $200,000 per year.

So now you're only budgeting $200k per year for truck/trailer, which is a drop in the budget on the total budget you have to work with. Use the rig for 5 years(cost $1m). Sell it for $1-1.5mill, pay off the remain debt, buy another and do it again.

That's all easier said than done, but just showing an example of how 2million is a crazy number but not when you use it the right way.
You should also be depreciating it each year on your taxes. That could be a substantial write-off. Might be an additional write-off through marketing expenses.

Post a reply to: Would You Spend $2-Million of Sponsorship Dough on a Trailer?

The Latest