Would You Spend $2-Million of Sponsorship Dough on a Trailer?

brocster
10/27/2019 10:01am Edited Date/Time 10/27/2019 1:43pm
But do you really thinking they are buying it outright with cash? I doubt it. I would finance it over a 15 year loan. Spend $15,000...
But do you really thinking they are buying it outright with cash? I doubt it.

I would finance it over a 15 year loan. Spend $15,000 per month, that is $200,000 per year.

So now you're only budgeting $200k per year for truck/trailer, which is a drop in the budget on the total budget you have to work with. Use the rig for 5 years(cost $1m). Sell it for $1-1.5mill, pay off the remain debt, buy another and do it again.

That's all easier said than done, but just showing an example of how 2million is a crazy number but not when you use it the right way.
usp4u wrote:
You should also be depreciating it each year on your taxes. That could be a substantial write-off. Might be an additional write-off through marketing expenses.
Thought the title reads 2 mil for “trailer”. No matter which way you cut it, thats a lot of dough for a piece of equipment that “in the grand scheme of things” Is a nice to have and not a have to have.

The whole depreciation and write off deal is a miss belief to the general public. Depreciation is a formula that only allows a certain percentage to be written off each year and would have to be written off for a long time to even account for half of your value in which in the write off game you only allowed a certain percentage of that. You can’t write off more than you take in, you can but at that point you are not what is considered a lucrative business. Atleast thats how I understand it. If there is another way, please do tell as I have been waiting for that secret handshake for quite some time...
roninho
10/28/2019 12:46am
Depreciation is all nice and all but in the end you are still spending 2 million on a trailer. Just to put that number in perspective, Michael Pichon ran a team for his son Zachary Pichon for the MX2 world championship for EUR 150.000,-. For 2 million Zachary could spend his whole career in GP's...
10/28/2019 12:50am
Alex.434 wrote:
A uh.. 'friend' of mine once worked for a top motorcycling racing team. The team had some really big outside sponsors, and because of that, and...
A uh.. 'friend' of mine once worked for a top motorcycling racing team. The team had some really big outside sponsors, and because of that, and a LOT of money to work with. More than probably any other team in the paddock, including the factories.

The team spent every single dime every year they had the sponsor, for 4+ years. When the sponsor suddenly went away, the team immediately folded because they didn't have time to find a new sponsor.

They didn't save one penny for a 'rainy day fund' (even though they had a massive budget, more than they ever had had). They didn't plan for the future, at all.

Teams are like people. If given X amount of money, they are going to spend X + $10 more, then wonder what happened.
Not sure how much of the finance/accounting world you've been around but normally if you dont use it,you lose it when it comes to budgets. You dont just get to save the extra money for a raining day, it doesnt work like your parents giving you pocket money.
mh226
10/28/2019 4:18am
The video in question does not even show bobby's rig... this guy filmed the off road rig for KTM and for Husq...

The Shop

resetjet
10/28/2019 5:47am
But do you really thinking they are buying it outright with cash? I doubt it. I would finance it over a 15 year loan. Spend $15,000...
But do you really thinking they are buying it outright with cash? I doubt it.

I would finance it over a 15 year loan. Spend $15,000 per month, that is $200,000 per year.

So now you're only budgeting $200k per year for truck/trailer, which is a drop in the budget on the total budget you have to work with. Use the rig for 5 years(cost $1m). Sell it for $1-1.5mill, pay off the remain debt, buy another and do it again.

That's all easier said than done, but just showing an example of how 2million is a crazy number but not when you use it the right way.
Exactly. Its an easy choice. Salaries and travel are the hard ones.
kage173
10/28/2019 6:14am
Kawasaki is a publicly traded Japanese company. If you've ever done business with the Japanese then you know they don't spend a single penny without evaluating the business necessity and ROI for it from every single angle. They are incredibly patient buyers. It is so frustrating dealing with them. We call them tire kickers because they will suck up all your time and always be on the verge of buying and never do a thing. I have seen them have a guy getting paid $150k/year fly over from Japan 3 times a year along with an english speaking consultant before making a $20k capital expenditure.

I promise you they looked at spending $3mm, $50k, $1.996mm, and everything in between before they pulled the trigger.

If they didn't need it, they wouldn't have it.
Red Crawford
10/28/2019 7:14am
kage173 wrote:
Kawasaki is a publicly traded Japanese company. If you've ever done business with the Japanese then you know they don't spend a single penny without evaluating...
Kawasaki is a publicly traded Japanese company. If you've ever done business with the Japanese then you know they don't spend a single penny without evaluating the business necessity and ROI for it from every single angle. They are incredibly patient buyers. It is so frustrating dealing with them. We call them tire kickers because they will suck up all your time and always be on the verge of buying and never do a thing. I have seen them have a guy getting paid $150k/year fly over from Japan 3 times a year along with an english speaking consultant before making a $20k capital expenditure.

I promise you they looked at spending $3mm, $50k, $1.996mm, and everything in between before they pulled the trigger.

If they didn't need it, they wouldn't have it.
Does the average sponsor of an mx team engage in that same level of due diligence and analysis? Does Kawasaki rely completely on MONSTER to go racing? I don't know. But, JGR relies completely on their sponsors, per J-Bone. What ROI analysis did JGR do on behalf of its prior sponsors? Something didn't work out... The money was there; now, it's gone.
Red Crawford
10/28/2019 7:43am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2019 10:30am
Not sure how much of the finance/accounting world you've been around but normally if you dont use it,you lose it when it comes to budgets. You...
Not sure how much of the finance/accounting world you've been around but normally if you dont use it,you lose it when it comes to budgets. You dont just get to save the extra money for a raining day, it doesnt work like your parents giving you pocket money.
Third party sponsor deals typically don't require a race 'to zero' in order to justify a budget roll-over. They have a contract with a finite llifespan. Big difference between internal budgeting and outside sponsorship obligations. You would be surprised how loose some of the third-party deals can be---especially if the sponsor's CEO is a fan...

Anybody remember when Tabasco came into NASCAR in the early 2000's? Yeah, they didn't like how their money was being spent by the team, but had no recourse as the deal was essentially 'we will put your logo all over everything.' The McIlhaney family is conservative and were blown away by the excesses they saw. Tabasco lasted 1 year as a sponsor and blasted the team and NASCAR on the way out the door.

Some sponsors care and will pull stakes (Tabasco) if they see waste and inefficiencies; other sponsors have a CEO who is a big fan of the sport and they don't seem to care (GoDaddy), until they too run out of money.

I wonder if J-Bone and crew could reach a larger sponsor audience by presenting something completely different than what everybody else is doing (huge semi's and the pseudo-Nascar presentation).

As an aside, I hope JGR pulls it off. We need them in the sport and thinking about their situation lead me to create this thread for discussion. I really appreciate the civil discourse with my Vital Brothers!
kb228
10/28/2019 8:00am
kb228 wrote:
Doesnt seem like an issue to me. Theyre spending $200,000 a year on their main source of advertising - racing. The ROI is certainly there. Otherwise...
Doesnt seem like an issue to me. Theyre spending $200,000 a year on their main source of advertising - racing. The ROI is certainly there. Otherwise they wouldnt do it.
How does one measure ROI on a semi wrap? Serious question---not being a troll. I have owned and sold several businesses and the whole semi-truck presence...
How does one measure ROI on a semi wrap?
Serious question---not being a troll.
I have owned and sold several businesses and the whole semi-truck presence in mx has always intrigued me, vis-a-vis value vs. bling.

Perhaps I am jealous, but I've tried like hell to justify a Prevost in several of my ventures and simply could not convince any CFO to let me do it. 😄
For kawasaki to make even on that semi they need to sell 20-25 kx450s per year. The racing package is the advertisement. The semi is part of it.

I dont think selling 20-25 bikes a year is very much to ask for. When you factor in selling thousands of kx450s and 250s over the years its not a big deal to upgrade the semi every 10 years. Especially when its for your racing team.
tprice07
10/28/2019 9:05am
kb228 wrote:
Doesnt seem like an issue to me. Theyre spending $200,000 a year on their main source of advertising - racing. The ROI is certainly there. Otherwise...
Doesnt seem like an issue to me. Theyre spending $200,000 a year on their main source of advertising - racing. The ROI is certainly there. Otherwise they wouldnt do it.
How does one measure ROI on a semi wrap? Serious question---not being a troll. I have owned and sold several businesses and the whole semi-truck presence...
I have owned and sold several businesses and the whole semi-truck presence in mx has always intrigued me, vis-a-vis value vs. bling.

Perhaps I am jealous, but I've tried like hell to justify a Prevost in several of my ventures and simply could not convince any CFO to let me do it. 😄
AngryBear wrote:
having worked in/around marketing for 20yrs, proving ROI is often black magic and trickery at best.
Luckily the web came along and made a portion of that a little easier. I can get pretty close to identifying the ROI on a particular social media post or email campaign. I think that is a lot of the reason we aren't seeing major sponsors stay in supercross/motocross. The black magic isn't very settling when you are spending the kind of money needed for a title sponsor on a team hauler.
Red Crawford
10/28/2019 9:06am
kb228 wrote:

kb228 wrote:
For kawasaki to make even on that semi they need to sell 20-25 kx450s per year. The racing package is the advertisement. The semi is part...
For kawasaki to make even on that semi they need to sell 20-25 kx450s per year. The racing package is the advertisement. The semi is part of it.

I dont think selling 20-25 bikes a year is very much to ask for. When you factor in selling thousands of kx450s and 250s over the years its not a big deal to upgrade the semi every 10 years. Especially when its for your racing team.
How many chilli dogs does Weinerschnitzel have to sell? I see a distinction between a motorcycle manufacturer and an outside the industry sponsor.
kb228
10/28/2019 9:10am

kb228 wrote:
For kawasaki to make even on that semi they need to sell 20-25 kx450s per year. The racing package is the advertisement. The semi is part...

How many chilli dogs does Weinerschnitzel have to sell? I see a distinction between a motorcycle manufacturer and an outside the industry sponsor.
If you want to get sponsor money involved the cost to kawasaki is even lower. 80k cans of monster per year pays for the kawasaki semi.. do the math how you want.
Red Crawford
10/28/2019 9:33am
kb228 wrote:

kb228 wrote:
If you want to get sponsor money involved the cost to kawasaki is even lower. 80k cans of monster per year pays for the kawasaki semi...
If you want to get sponsor money involved the cost to kawasaki is even lower. 80k cans of monster per year pays for the kawasaki semi.. do the math how you want.
So, give me Weinerschnitzel's numbers...
You and I see this differently. KHI owns Kawasaki Monster Energy team. They sell bikes. Racing is a huge value-add for their core business. JGR doesn't sell bikes----nor energy drinks, nor chilli dogs. Come to think of it, JGR really only spends other people's money to race. Kawasaki can race with or without Monster, at some level. Same as Honda, who lost Red Bull and Muscle Milk and never missed a beat.

There is a distinction that I can see.
cbarber
Fantasy
2209th
10/28/2019 9:41am
kb228 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

I think they may need to sell a few more than 20-25 dirt bikes...….I can't even figure out how you came up with this?
NV825
Fantasy
2711th
10/28/2019 9:48am
I vividly remember in the early 2000's while camping with the family at the campground above Hangtown waking up early on Saturday morning and having all the semis lined up waiting to head down to the pits. They looked so f*cking cool and it was a tradition to get up and check them out before they went to down to start setting up.

As it's already been stated, there's accounting tricks to amortize the cost over many years so it's not $2M hitting that very first year. Plus once they head east these trucks are basically on their own so they need enough room to fit everything to be a satellite HQ without the need to head back west to pick up more spare parts.

Not to mention if they have the CEO/CMO/etc. of a major sponsor visiting for a race, it wouldn't be the best experience to have them chilling in the garage of a box van vs. in the perfect climate controlled lounge of these state of the art trailers.

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/28/2019 9:59am
At the pointy end of the paddock, the trucks are rolling showpieces for a brand. As you move through the pits, it’s less so. I can’t imagine missing a race due to something going wrong (like happened with a couple NASCAR haulers recently).

These are also home away from home for teams. Factor in all the build days that are spent largely out of sight from the public.

I don’t know that drivers (or other staff) spend a lot of time sleeping in the rigs on weekends, but I’ve known some of them to do it.
kb228
10/28/2019 10:08am

kb228 wrote:

cbarber wrote:
I think they may need to sell a few more than 20-25 dirt bikes...….I can't even figure out how you came up with this?
If they use a $2,000,000 semi for 10 years thats 200k per year. 200k divided by $9500 kx450 = 21.05 bikes. Depending on sales etc thats somewhere around 20-25 bikes per year over 10 years just to cover the purchase price of the semi. Right?
cbarber
Fantasy
2209th
10/28/2019 10:11am
kb228 wrote:

cbarber wrote:
kb228 wrote:
If they use a $2,000,000 semi for 10 years thats 200k per year. 200k divided by $9500 kx450 = 21.05 bikes. Depending on sales etc thats...
If they use a $2,000,000 semi for 10 years thats 200k per year. 200k divided by $9500 kx450 = 21.05 bikes. Depending on sales etc thats somewhere around 20-25 bikes per year over 10 years just to cover the purchase price of the semi. Right?
wrong. your math is strong, but you missed one big thing. they aren't making $9500 on a bike. that's retail. takes a hell of a lot more than 20-25 bikes to make 200k. try again.
kb228
10/28/2019 10:30am
cbarber wrote:
kb228 wrote:
If they use a $2,000,000 semi for 10 years thats 200k per year. 200k divided by $9500 kx450 = 21.05 bikes. Depending on sales etc thats...
cbarber wrote:
wrong. your math is strong, but you missed one big thing. they aren't making $9500 on a bike. that's retail. takes a hell of a lot...
wrong. your math is strong, but you missed one big thing. they aren't making $9500 on a bike. that's retail. takes a hell of a lot more than 20-25 bikes to make 200k. try again.
Duh yea youre right. Clearly didnt think of that.

Just guessing, but if $6500 is break even on a sale, 70 bikes is what it takes per year. Either way, theyre selling way more bikes than that anyways to cover it without much worry.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/28/2019 10:39am
kb228 wrote:
Duh yea youre right. Clearly didnt think of that. Just guessing, but if $6500 is break even on a sale, 70 bikes is what it takes...

Just guessing, but if $6500 is break even on a sale, 70 bikes is what it takes per year. Either way, theyre selling way more bikes than that anyways to cover it without much worry.
Rider and staff salaries, travel, truck fuel, insurance, parts, it’s never-ending.
cbarber
Fantasy
2209th
10/28/2019 10:46am
kb228 wrote:
cbarber wrote:
wrong. your math is strong, but you missed one big thing. they aren't making $9500 on a bike. that's retail. takes a hell of a lot...
kb228 wrote:
Duh yea youre right. Clearly didnt think of that. Just guessing, but if $6500 is break even on a sale, 70 bikes is what it takes...

no idea what the break even point is. I would be curious what a manufactor makes on a bike after everything is said and done. engineering, tooling, equipment, raw material costs, employee wages, insurance, etc. I bet it is less than most think.
Red Crawford
10/28/2019 10:48am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2019 2:35pm
To be sure, Feld determines where the rigs park. And, as Circus Ring Master they want to put on a Big Show in and around the Big Top. Big rigs require a lot of space. Smaller rigs and more teams representing more sponsors brings an ROI to more sponsors----but it doesn't have the visceral "WOW" factor of a huge wrapped semi-trailer...or does it?

Remember, the Ring Master utilizes independent contractors for acts. The Circus only owns the show (contracts, copyrights and TV rights---stuff on paper). Feld doesn't sit at the table with teams hunting sponsors, so they are like a grifting stripper urging everybody to "go big or go home"----or in this case "go big semi or go to the back of the pits."

I dunno, if you've seen the Honda rig once, you are probably pretty much over the "WOW" factor of seeing a huge trailer. All the fun happens in the back of the pits anyway. 😁

Alex.434
10/28/2019 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2019 3:02pm
Alex.434 wrote:
A uh.. 'friend' of mine once worked for a top motorcycling racing team. The team had some really big outside sponsors, and because of that, and...
A uh.. 'friend' of mine once worked for a top motorcycling racing team. The team had some really big outside sponsors, and because of that, and a LOT of money to work with. More than probably any other team in the paddock, including the factories.

The team spent every single dime every year they had the sponsor, for 4+ years. When the sponsor suddenly went away, the team immediately folded because they didn't have time to find a new sponsor.

They didn't save one penny for a 'rainy day fund' (even though they had a massive budget, more than they ever had had). They didn't plan for the future, at all.

Teams are like people. If given X amount of money, they are going to spend X + $10 more, then wonder what happened.
Not sure how much of the finance/accounting world you've been around but normally if you dont use it,you lose it when it comes to budgets. You...
Private race teams sell sponsorship to brands for $X dollars and then are free to spend said dollars as needed. As long as the contracted deliverables are met, the sponsor is happy. You do not have to 'share your books' with your sponsors.

I've been around a shit load of finance/accounting managing multi-million dollar marketing budgets for brands, including being a sponsor for teams, both factory and private teams, in everything from AMA SX to MotoGP, from $50,000 deals to $3+ million dollar a year deals. I'm very well aware of the dynamics of motorsports sponsorships, though I should have stated in my original post "privately owned team" compared to "factory run team". In the original example I thought the line "including the factories" was clue enough that the team referenced was privately owned.

Post a reply to: Would You Spend $2-Million of Sponsorship Dough on a Trailer?

The Latest