How bad is a T10 and T12 fracture?

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:52pm
I know some Dr post here, how bad is Treys injury?
|
500guy
1/22/2012 11:36am
UpTiTe wrote:
I know some Dr post here, how bad is Treys injury?
That's an open question, it depends on how severe , swelling of the spinal cord and many other factors.

either way anything to do with the back or neck is scary.
ocscottie
1/22/2012 12:10pm
"how bad is Treys injury?"

From the injury update thread:

Right now Trey is awake and moving feet, toes, etc. He even fist bumped me

Seeing that he has full movement, that is about as good news as you can get at this time! In most cases if there is any nerve / cord damage, swelling occurs and movement is impaired. That doesnt sound like the case here with Trey, Thank God.
cmess77
1/22/2012 12:18pm
I think spinal cord injuries are too diverse to just say "oh you broke your T10, you'll be out 4 weeks" even though you can say that about a not-too-bad broken wrist, for example. I believe Kyle Peters broke his T10 at Loretta's and raced the same day, and then took 2 weeks off and raced pro, but I also think Christian Craig broke vertebrae in that area, and he was paralyzed and had a rod in his back for 11 months. Hopefully Trey will be more on the Kyle Peters side of things, and thank God he had no paralysis/loss of feeling.

The Shop

zippy895
1/22/2012 12:26pm
i think trey should hang the boots up. paralysis is not worth it.
yea and tell a boxer to stop boxing.
munsch121
1/22/2012 12:32pm
while spinal injuries are always serious it is a huge grey area, you can not even break a bone in your spine and become paralyzed...I compressed my T10 back in 2003 and actually got back on and finished the moto. The fact he needs surgery normally indicates it is more severe....The most common in the thoracic spine are compression fractures which normally do not require surgery but with 2....I hav eno idea if that is standard procedure, I doubt it is a "burst" fracture because that normally involves swelling of the spinal cord and loss of feeling and or movement for atleast a period of time.....basically its hard to say how bad it is until we all have some more info.
yzmatt
1/22/2012 12:33pm
Christian Craig is not paralyzed. Please check your facts before posting stuff like that.
mattmatt300
1/22/2012 12:37pm
zippy895 wrote:
ask hepler how he feels about it
cmess77
1/22/2012 12:42pm
yzmatt wrote:
Christian Craig is not paralyzed. Please check your facts before posting stuff like that.
Past tense buddy. He said he couldn't move or feel either of his legs for about ten minutes, and couldn't feel one of them for a while after that.
1/22/2012 12:45pm
zippy895 wrote:
yea i know. if i had the chance to ride again id probably do it too.
1/22/2012 12:46pm
yzmatt wrote:
he said WAS.
MotoChief
1/22/2012 12:47pm
If it requires surgery, it is pretty serious. I broke my L2 and coccyx and required no surgery but it took a few months before I would have even thought about trying to ride again.
nobhead
1/22/2012 12:51pm
munsch121 wrote:
while spinal injuries are always serious it is a huge grey area, you can not even break a bone in your spine and become paralyzed...I compressed...
while spinal injuries are always serious it is a huge grey area, you can not even break a bone in your spine and become paralyzed...I compressed my T10 back in 2003 and actually got back on and finished the moto. The fact he needs surgery normally indicates it is more severe....The most common in the thoracic spine are compression fractures which normally do not require surgery but with 2....I hav eno idea if that is standard procedure, I doubt it is a "burst" fracture because that normally involves swelling of the spinal cord and loss of feeling and or movement for atleast a period of time.....basically its hard to say how bad it is until we all have some more info.
I have had 3 fusions from a wedged C6... Hopefully they don't need surgery.
1/22/2012 12:53pm
MotoChief wrote:
If it requires surgery, it is pretty serious. I broke my L2 and coccyx and required no surgery but it took a few months before I...
If it requires surgery, it is pretty serious. I broke my L2 and coccyx and required no surgery but it took a few months before I would have even thought about trying to ride again.
I'd imagine that was an incentive to stay standing up while riding!
1/22/2012 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2012 12:57pm
munsch121 wrote:
while spinal injuries are always serious it is a huge grey area, you can not even break a bone in your spine and become paralyzed...I compressed...
For those seeking the answers to the OP's original question. See this post I've quoted. It is very accurate.

And no, it is not standard procedure if their are two vertebrae that are compression fractured. If there is no spinal cord damage, Trey will be walking around in just a couple days and be just fine down the road. If its "just" two fractures, he could be riding again in as little as 3 months.
ocscottie
1/22/2012 1:01pm
One other thing we all have to take account of, NO two spine injuries are the same...period.

From the other thread, i wish more riders wore something like this, not saying it would of helped Trey in this case, or not. But i sure dig the backplate, and wish i would of been wearing something like it back when i got hurt, who knows? maybe it could of saved me from this life of hell!

check out some of his under armor, which is a custom-made piece from Fox Racing that integrates the sleeves from their Titan Sport Jacket, a well-ventilated chest plate from a Proframe LC Roost Deflector, and a back protector from Ortema.
MotoChief
1/22/2012 1:03pm
MotoChief wrote:
If it requires surgery, it is pretty serious. I broke my L2 and coccyx and required no surgery but it took a few months before I...
I'd imagine that was an incentive to stay standing up while riding!
A broken coccyx hurts way more than I ever would have imagined. And yes, staying on the feet helps. Coccyx took about 10 months to stop hurting.
Drfletcher
1/22/2012 7:43pm
Depends on what part of the vertebra is broken. Its like saying your bike is broke.
drmarkr
1/22/2012 8:07pm
Drfletcher wrote:
Depends on what part of the vertebra is broken. Its like saying your bike is broke.
Yep.....you and I are anxiously awaiting a more specific description of the fractures....some are absolutely nothing to worry about, and others....well, that's why we're anxious.
Bauer
1/22/2012 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2012 8:30pm
After I retired from racing I was working, doing some customer service stuff at Woodhaven Country Club in Palm Desert. A guy I grew up with's brother was the developer and we'd work on houses in the morning and golf 36 holes in the afternoon. It was just really lightweight stuff, just making repairs to homes that people had just purchased, after the walk-throughs.

Anyway, my back started hurting a lot, so I went to the chiropractor and they did a full spinal x-ray, something I'd never had done before. After they read my x-rays they asked me, "So, how many times did you break your back? Once, or twice? It's hard to tell from the film". As far as I knew I had never broken my back, but I crashed so many times, so hard, and every Monday after a race my back and kidneys were usually hurting so badly that apparently I had broken my back and never even fucking noticed it.

So now I have this little "pressure spot" at my T-7 where the whatever is bulged up against my spine or whatever...they haven't advised me not to ride, but I kind of wonder if I'd be more susceptible to major injury if I crashed hard. I guess in some way having a right wrist that's totally fucked up has possibly saved me from finding out, since I rarely ride because of it.

So I guess every back injury is different. I just cannot believe that I broke my back at least once and didn't know it. I guess it's possible that I hurt something else at the same time that kept me off the bike long enough to heal, because otherwise I was no doubt racing the very next weekend, and I don't remember ever sitting out a race because my back hurt. Weird.
drmarkr
1/22/2012 8:31pm
Bauer wrote:
After I retired from racing I was working, doing some customer service stuff at Woodhaven Country Club in Palm Desert. A guy I grew up with's...
After I retired from racing I was working, doing some customer service stuff at Woodhaven Country Club in Palm Desert. A guy I grew up with's brother was the developer and we'd work on houses in the morning and golf 36 holes in the afternoon. It was just really lightweight stuff, just making repairs to homes that people had just purchased, after the walk-throughs.

Anyway, my back started hurting a lot, so I went to the chiropractor and they did a full spinal x-ray, something I'd never had done before. After they read my x-rays they asked me, "So, how many times did you break your back? Once, or twice? It's hard to tell from the film". As far as I knew I had never broken my back, but I crashed so many times, so hard, and every Monday after a race my back and kidneys were usually hurting so badly that apparently I had broken my back and never even fucking noticed it.

So now I have this little "pressure spot" at my T-7 where the whatever is bulged up against my spine or whatever...they haven't advised me not to ride, but I kind of wonder if I'd be more susceptible to major injury if I crashed hard. I guess in some way having a right wrist that's totally fucked up has possibly saved me from finding out, since I rarely ride because of it.

So I guess every back injury is different. I just cannot believe that I broke my back at least once and didn't know it. I guess it's possible that I hurt something else at the same time that kept me off the bike long enough to heal, because otherwise I was no doubt racing the very next weekend, and I don't remember ever sitting out a race because my back hurt. Weird.
Probably compression fractures Steve. Quite a few get them and just have a very "sore back" for a couple of months, and without an xray, never know they have them. Is that what they told you it was?
Bauer
1/22/2012 9:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2012 9:11pm
I don't think they said what it was...shit, that was almost 25 years ago. But the info about the pressuring my T-7 came from a doc just about 3 years ago. I should hit them up for the film of it. Here's a Ct of my shitty wrist taken in December

wtf do I have to do to get a pic to show up in here?
drmarkr
1/22/2012 9:16pm
Bauer wrote:
I don't think they said what it was...shit, that was almost 25 years ago. But the info about the pressuring my T-7 came from a doc...
I don't think they said what it was...shit, that was almost 25 years ago. But the info about the pressuring my T-7 came from a doc just about 3 years ago. I should hit them up for the film of it. Here's a Ct of my shitty wrist taken in December

wtf do I have to do to get a pic to show up in here?
drmarkr
1/22/2012 9:17pm
right click on the pic in photobucket and "copy URL", then use the img tab and paste it.
bg22
Fantasy
3048th
1/22/2012 10:04pm
I had a compression fracture of my T10 and T12. I actually drove myself home afterwards. Obviously every back injury is different but my back doctor last month said every thing is still in good working order. This was over 10 years ago. I was very sore for a few weeks and was painful to sleep on my back and get out of bed for a few weeks as well.
IceMan446
1/22/2012 11:06pm
Was he wearing a chest protector?

If not, those are the things that happen when you don't. Not saying it would have stopped it but it may have helped.

Bet he thinks twice before riding with out one agaiin. Just hope he heals up ok and Ryan also.
1/22/2012 11:09pm
bg22 wrote:
I had a compression fracture of my T10 and T12. I actually drove myself home afterwards. Obviously every back injury is different but my back doctor...
I had a compression fracture of my T10 and T12. I actually drove myself home afterwards. Obviously every back injury is different but my back doctor last month said every thing is still in good working order. This was over 10 years ago. I was very sore for a few weeks and was painful to sleep on my back and get out of bed for a few weeks as well.
Had T10 and at a different time L4 and L5 all back in the 80's. Now they can insert some "cement" in their on fresh compression fractures and get almost instant relief and structural integrity back.
mxbrady551
1/22/2012 11:17pm
I don't think I could hang up the boots even if i was paralyzed... you see the guys out there with the customized bikes so they can ride while being paralyzed from the waist down. There is nothing like riding a motorcycle.... the feeling cannot be replaced or replicated. :D
1/23/2012 12:27am
If he hasn't damaged his cord he could still be looking at a fair while off, also the region between T10-L2 is responsible for most of movement in the stomach region, so that could play some factor in things espeically if he has rods or plates installed
flyinb501
Fantasy
338th
1/23/2012 6:13am
Ummm Trey is not any more susceptible to paralysis than any other rider on the track. Why should Trey hang up his boots? Just because he has had a string of bad luck? He will make a full recovery, and be back kicking ass before you know it.

Post a reply to: How bad is a T10 and T12 fracture?

The Latest