How long until electric bikes rule the world?

TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
12/7/2017 3:35pm
2020 A1: Alta shows up with a Tesla semi pulling the Alta team trailer. Winner bonus paid in bitcoin
NorCal 50+
12/7/2017 3:59pm
I do plan on getting one eventually, once the price drops by 50% (into the non-exotic range for a dirt bike). It would be awesome to ride with no noise.
leighracer
12/7/2017 9:02pm
2020 A1: Alta shows up with a Tesla semi pulling the Alta team trailer. Winner bonus paid in bitcoin
Yeah and the rig is just a giant Ingersoll Rand industrial generator burning gallons of gasoline to recharge the batteries. Anybody else see the problem here?
12/8/2017 12:47am
Who says that 'E' is going to take over MX? What if it turns out to be a different sport? Like, MTB. What if the MTB...
Who says that 'E' is going to take over MX? What if it turns out to be a different sport? Like, MTB. What if the MTB guys take it and run with it, leaving us moto heads on gas making noise and upsetting people, dwindling ride areas, and so on... The 'E bike' crowd come in, take the now defunct track and say "hey, moto guys, keep your stinking four strokes, we're over here having all the fun we need and we don't need you." MX stays exactly as it is, but 'E-cross' evolves right along side us. Just a thought..
flymoto wrote:
I’m fairness, I see mtb been a lot futher away from e bikes that motocross. Maybe a weekend warrior ripping his local trails, but then I...
I’m fairness, I see mtb been a lot futher away from e bikes that motocross. Maybe a weekend warrior ripping his local trails, but then I believe most of the trail centres certainly in the UK are non motorised.

The rules can be bent a little in MX and e bikes fed into mx2 like we have seen at straight rhythm as there isn’t such a huge difference. How could you race a pedal bike against a electric one? You would pretty much have moto/enduro anyway if you have e mtb bikes.
The MTB 'crew' was just an example. In that, it could be any new group of people might take 'e' and make it their own sport, thus, there being no 'e' bike take over of MX. MX just.... remains as it is, but the new sport of 'e cross' begins. All hypothetical of course.

That said, yes the current MTB trail centres may be non-motorised, but there's always scope to expand/develop if something new comes to market. You couldn't write it off.

The Shop

stone881
12/8/2017 5:52am
It all depends upon how quickly graphene battery technology can advance. Graphene changes everything, meaning lighter, more powerful, longer lasting and quick charging supercapacitor/battery tech. Imagine a power source that charges in seconds, lasts for days and weighs 1/3 what the Alta battery weighs.
12/8/2017 6:07am
I see them more as being another option rather than a replacement for gas bikes,although they will become more and more prominent
cmx152
12/8/2017 6:08am
leighracer wrote:
Yeah and the rig is just a giant Ingersoll Rand industrial generator burning gallons of gasoline to recharge the batteries. Anybody else see the problem here?
That's why solar panels, wind turbines, fusion reactors, nuclear reactors, geothermal/hydro schemes and more exist
user760a
12/8/2017 6:48am
If and when those soulless electric piles become big, I see myself becoming a very dedicated vintage guy lol
Rhino
12/8/2017 10:09am
Formula E isn't all that popular.

F1 lost shit tons of fans and viewers when the screaming engine went away. Luckily they brought it back the next season because it damn near killed the sport.

All else being equal, if F1 went all electric next year, it would be the last year.

The sound is reason enough to go to F1. Watching silence would be like watching it now, but deaf. No good. The fans spoke a few years ago. Most wanted V10 and V12 sound back. Not even high revving V8s.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
12/8/2017 10:26am
Check with Honda......they will have them banned from racing if they do not plan to make one.......
Paul333
12/8/2017 10:42am
Rhino wrote:
Formula E isn't all that popular. F1 lost shit tons of fans and viewers when the screaming engine went away. Luckily they brought it back the...
Formula E isn't all that popular.

F1 lost shit tons of fans and viewers when the screaming engine went away. Luckily they brought it back the next season because it damn near killed the sport.

All else being equal, if F1 went all electric next year, it would be the last year.

The sound is reason enough to go to F1. Watching silence would be like watching it now, but deaf. No good. The fans spoke a few years ago. Most wanted V10 and V12 sound back. Not even high revving V8s.
I agree, Formula E has been a horrific failure. It wont last very much longer.

Same can be said the current F1 engine Hybrids. No one likes them other than Mercedes. I assume Liberty will dump Hybrids engines altogether once they finalize the new engine rules.

Post a reply to: How long until electric bikes rule the world?

The Latest