How much do you ride?

apex
2/13/2019 6:45am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2019 10:26am
During winter I only get to ride once a week, if the weather allows for it at all and I notice how I don't even really develop a good feel for the bike and stay stiff all the time. During summer I manage to ride twice per week and that's much better, however I'm still young and passionate and want to move up the ranks, so I feel like I gotta ride at least one more day.
How do you really manage riding more than twice a week? With bike maintenance, fitness training, school (or work) I already feel very limited time wise. To get to a real track with laptimes above a minute I have to at least drive an hour, though there are some corner tracks a bit nearer.
|
Teej317
Fantasy
1909th
2/13/2019 6:51am
Last summer it seems like I only rode once a week, but I want to up that to two this year hopefully. I know what you mean....as far as tracks go, riding a real track regularly would be ideal but I wouldn't be at all ashamed to log some hours in on a corner track as my weekly moto prep. Technique would improve, posture, fitness, throttle control, etc......all things we as motocrossers should focus more on in my opinion.
brody
2/13/2019 6:54am
I ride 4-5 times a week,
i get home jump on the bike ride my track for 30 min then go to the gym and do a little running rowing and cycling, then on the weekend i go to tracks all around the state
if you ride hard at a good track, i mean hard not 15 on 15 off like 15 on a sip of water then go you will only need one day.
jdsmooth
2/13/2019 7:02am
brody wrote:
I ride 4-5 times a week, i get home jump on the bike ride my track for 30 min then go to the gym and do...
I ride 4-5 times a week,
i get home jump on the bike ride my track for 30 min then go to the gym and do a little running rowing and cycling, then on the weekend i go to tracks all around the state
if you ride hard at a good track, i mean hard not 15 on 15 off like 15 on a sip of water then go you will only need one day.
How do you have time to maintain your bike? I feel like 1 day of riding equates to 1 day of cleaning and maintenance for me. Would love to minimize that time, I just haven't figured that out yet.
brody
2/13/2019 7:09am
jdsmooth wrote:
How do you have time to maintain your bike? I feel like 1 day of riding equates to 1 day of cleaning and maintenance for me...
How do you have time to maintain your bike? I feel like 1 day of riding equates to 1 day of cleaning and maintenance for me. Would love to minimize that time, I just haven't figured that out yet.
well i leave the track around 5ish then when i get home i pull out the power washer and go to town. and change my air filter
I set my bike up during the winter and have a bunch of extra parts sitting around from sponsors, or when i need something its there next day.
and during the week when i ride my private track i just rinse my bike off.
the main thing for me is changing tires.

I dont understand why you would need a day to wash and work on your bike.

The Shop

2/13/2019 7:34am
brody wrote:
I ride 4-5 times a week, i get home jump on the bike ride my track for 30 min then go to the gym and do...
I ride 4-5 times a week,
jdsmooth wrote:
How do you have time to maintain your bike? I feel like 1 day of riding equates to 1 day of cleaning and maintenance for me...
LOL! I was thinking the same thing! How many frickin air filters do you own? I have three for each of my two bikes and go through four of them (one filter for practice and moto 1, and second filter for moto 2 for each bike) in one day when I race both bikes. I hate cleaning air filters!!
brody
2/13/2019 7:46am
mxracer106 wrote:
LOL! I was thinking the same thing! How many frickin air filters do you own? I have three for each of my two bikes and go...
LOL! I was thinking the same thing! How many frickin air filters do you own? I have three for each of my two bikes and go through four of them (one filter for practice and moto 1, and second filter for moto 2 for each bike) in one day when I race both bikes. I hate cleaning air filters!!
i get them for free so i just toss them or give them away at the track.
kb228
2/13/2019 7:57am
Working a full time job, tracks only open on saturdays and sundays 6 months out of the year... i get to ride once a week for 6 months IF it doesnt rain friday-sunday. Sucks ass.
gt80rider
2/13/2019 8:01am
Off-road once a week, at the track for 6 to 8 hours putting in practice laps, talking with the guys, etc.

I also ride on-road with various bikes, those I ride on the daily as weather allows. Running around town on a CB500X or Z125 Pro is loads of fun and helps scratch the itch when I can't get on a track.
2/13/2019 8:14am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 8:14am
Twice a week if I’m lucky. Nothing in the winter though. I hate riding in cold unless I head south for a trip.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
2/13/2019 8:29am
Not nearly as much as I want.

I only rode 3 times last year. Wife, kids, work and a house will do that to you though.
navalseabee
2/13/2019 8:41am
I did 150 hours on one bike and 65 on the other last year.
Stuntman949
2/13/2019 8:45am
Twice a month all year round if the stars align
jeffro503
2/13/2019 8:46am
Not enough! I'm more of a fair weather rider any more. When riding season comes , so does my bigger work load....they go hand in hand. Hard to keep up with exercise and riding , when I'm working 60+hrs a week , and my job kicks the crap out of me. I try to work long day's mon-thurs so I can have a little easier Fri and have the energy to ride , but htat's tough to do a lot of the times.
TJMX947
2/13/2019 10:14am
I try to ride twice a month...would love to ride more but its difficult with the wife and kids. The weather around here has sucked all winter...cold and rainy.
G-man
2/13/2019 10:35am
brody wrote:
I ride 4-5 times a week,
jdsmooth wrote:
mxracer106 wrote:
LOL! I was thinking the same thing! How many frickin air filters do you own? I have three for each of my two bikes and go...
Are you a Pro?

If not you are wasting your time and money not to mention of pain in the ass to change filters between Moto's.

A filter can easily Last One race day.
G-man
2/13/2019 10:37am
Oh and it's riding season out here, we ride every weekend and also the street bike I like to get out once a week. Cool

Teejay
Fantasy
974th
2/13/2019 10:41am
Rode about 8 times last year, same story as a lot of people, 2 young kids, self employed plus insert any adult life scenario in here and equates to not much riding time! Rode almost every weekend from around 1992 - 2005 and loved every minute of it. I don’t know how people juggle it but more power to you if you’re out riding all the time there’s no better feeling.
usafwx
2/13/2019 10:43am
Feel you're pain, been trying to figure out what to do with my weekends these days.
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
2/13/2019 10:45am
Ride once week,sometimes offroad and sometimes the track.also ride a few days a month to work on the street bike.
My offroad rides look very similar to G-mans,only I'm on a plated KTM 300
MZ193
2/13/2019 10:47am
once a week. my bad, i'm 17 and studying. in one year i will be able to drive the car and i'll have finished school. cant wait, my goal is to ride twice and going to gym twice. no serious relationship in my mind, they could ruin my fun time.
Nuffsaid
2/13/2019 11:01am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2019 10:26am
4 ten hr work days a week with a 43lb chain saw mounted, 40lb back pack of fuel, bar oil and water. A luggage rack pack of tools, signage materials, communication equip/batteries, personal safety equipment and medical emergency material . And of course my citation book !!!! I’m the guy who clears your trails and finds your sorry carcass when you get lost or injured. Anybody wanna try to set up MY race sag? Positions open online if you got the balls!
US Forest Service trail patrol Sequoia NF.
usafwx
2/13/2019 11:05am
Same, about to separate active duty, until I figure out insurance while I'm in grad school, I figured I'd get the bike listed and it sold quick, so trying to figure out the void now. I was seriously considering adding some HIT to my boring / stale gym routine, can't ride might as well get shredded right, lol. That and been looking to go explore a bit, grand canyon this weekend. Cheers bikeless brother.
usafwx
2/13/2019 11:23am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 11:23am
Interesting. Good luck. After 10 years / E-6, I'm ready to hang it up, even with the benefits, retirement, etc. Life is too short to work / put up with B.S. for a paycheck, onto something I actually don't have to talk myself into doing everyday I wake up.
2/13/2019 11:31am
i got 70 Hours last year, from may to november. thats the most i have ridden in a year, now its just a waiting time for the snow to melt.
kb228
2/13/2019 11:40am
jdsmooth wrote:
brody wrote:
well i leave the track around 5ish then when i get home i pull out the power washer and go to town. and change my air...
well i leave the track around 5ish then when i get home i pull out the power washer and go to town. and change my air filter
I set my bike up during the winter and have a bunch of extra parts sitting around from sponsors, or when i need something its there next day.
and during the week when i ride my private track i just rinse my bike off.
the main thing for me is changing tires.

I dont understand why you would need a day to wash and work on your bike.
Takes an hour for me to completely have my bike ready for the next ride. I also cannot fathom how it takes an entire day.
usafwx
2/13/2019 1:44pm
If I was smart I'd go officer since I already have the degree, but would still feel like I'm selling my soul. What career field / branch? And thank you for your prior service and willing to serve again.
Monk
2/13/2019 1:49pm
I'll ride 250+hrs a year... Most I ever did was 400+ in 2013.
usafwx
2/13/2019 2:12pm
Definitely a different Air Force these days...

Have a few combat controller friends. All of them have loved it but few make it 20, injuries, constant deployments, etc. but definitely more rewarding than 90% of AFSCs.
lisenbyjacob
2/13/2019 2:19pm
usafwx wrote:
Interesting. Good luck. After 10 years / E-6, I'm ready to hang it up, even with the benefits, retirement, etc. Life is too short to work...
Interesting. Good luck. After 10 years / E-6, I'm ready to hang it up, even with the benefits, retirement, etc. Life is too short to work / put up with B.S. for a paycheck, onto something I actually don't have to talk myself into doing everyday I wake up.
Hell yeah, good on you man. My wife is about to separate after 10 years and I couldn't be more happy for her. I'm gonna stick it out to the end of my enlistment and see if I can't get picked up for a rated OTS spot but if not, I'm out too. Good luck to you!

Post a reply to: How much do you ride?

The Latest