How to become a flagger at the Nationals?

TDeath21
It's something I've always wanted to do, but never really taken the initiative to do so. After seeing the flaggers fail and could have easily caused an unnecessary injury to Bogle or Cianciarulo, I figure I should try to be the change I wish to see.

How would I go about doing this though? I have no idea. I have checked nationals websites and I don't see anything. For what it's worth, I have over 10 years of officiating experience in varsity high school football and basketball, so that will obviously be an experience that can be applied to being a flagger. I have local race experience, but I've obviously never ridden professionally. Again though, that's experience that can be applied. I'd like to try to help out if I can. Where do I start? Local tracks and work my way up? Try to just call or email the national tracks to see if I can do it there? I know they probably don't get paid much if anything, but if I could make the drive to a national on a free weekend, I'd like to help out if I can. But, I have no clue where to start. Can anyone here help me? I understand this season is probably a wash, but this can be a good reference for me in the future.
|
9/8/2020 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2020 5:00pm
just fall asleep on the side of the track and they'll put some flags next to you. you'll be just as useful.

I'm not one to normally complain about flaggers, but the weekend was ridiculous. Not a single flag up during the practice pileup until after 3 or 4 guys had gone down???

Then during the race, flaggers were waving the blue flag at guys that were in a position battle! do they just think if someone is trying to pass, wave the blue flag??
VetRider97
9/8/2020 6:51pm
Drink all night and show up at sunrise you're in.

All kidding aside, flagging moto makes for long day and they need better trained and paid flaggers.
I'v seen too many unnecessary injuries due to poor flagging.

The Shop

Elbows
Fantasy
1171st
9/8/2020 7:00pm
Being blind and lazy would probably look good on your resume.
300exc
9/8/2020 7:28pm
The flagger was actually waving the flag in the Adam/ Bogle practice crash. Problem was they were waving it only slightly above a long Dunlop trackside banner that’s the exact same yellow as the flag.
So they didn’t see it.
hubbardmx50
9/8/2020 7:47pm
I flagged at Glen Helen in 2015 and 2016, awesome experience. For GH I would just email Frank who runs REM and just let him know I was interested in flagging. I'm not sure how the other tracks work. You'd probably want to contact whoever the track manager is via email
C.Worthy
9/8/2020 8:00pm
I flagged the National at Elsinore in 2013. It was definitely a cool experience but not sure if I’d do it again. Super long day baking in the sun And you can’t pay attention to what’s going on or see the best race coverage since you’re fixated on your portion of the track that you’re in charge of flagging. The guy that was flagging the section next to me asked me if Ricky Carmichael was racing that day.....
Brent
9/8/2020 8:04pm
Elbows wrote:
..dont forget hung over...
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/8/2020 8:22pm
Elbows wrote:
Brent wrote:
..dont forget hung over...
Hmm... is there a way we could institute a breathalyzer requirement before hitting the submit button on posts? Wink
moto67e
Fantasy
2724th
9/8/2020 8:35pm
C.Worthy wrote:
I flagged the National at Elsinore in 2013. It was definitely a cool experience but not sure if I’d do it again. Super long day baking...
I flagged the National at Elsinore in 2013. It was definitely a cool experience but not sure if I’d do it again. Super long day baking in the sun And you can’t pay attention to what’s going on or see the best race coverage since you’re fixated on your portion of the track that you’re in charge of flagging. The guy that was flagging the section next to me asked me if Ricky Carmichael was racing that day.....
This was exactly my experience. I flagged a SX practice once and I was worried the whole time I was going to mess up and get a pro injured.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
9/9/2020 10:51am
To answer the OP's question.. The track management will "hire" the flaggers for their National. They put it out there on Social media annually that they are looking for flaggers for the National. I know Southwick gets a lot of good people signed up to flag. Its a long day out there in the Sun but everyone I know is honored to do it. Southwick will feed you, give you a T shirt and offers a "ride day" for those who flag that day.
Brent
9/9/2020 11:39am
Last week, inept flagging lead to Bogle’s crash with Cianciarulo, resulting in injuries and destruction of equipment. Also, I noticed the leaders getting the blue flag in the back section of the track, what was that about?

A flagger is a safety official, is it okay just to hand a guy a event shirt , flag, a hot dog and a soda For lunch and just assume he is able do his job properly?

Should there be paid pro flaggers, or something better than volunteers doing the job?
9/9/2020 12:31pm
Brent wrote:
Last week, inept flagging lead to Bogle’s crash with Cianciarulo, resulting in injuries and destruction of equipment. Also, I noticed the leaders getting the blue flag...
Last week, inept flagging lead to Bogle’s crash with Cianciarulo, resulting in injuries and destruction of equipment. Also, I noticed the leaders getting the blue flag in the back section of the track, what was that about?

A flagger is a safety official, is it okay just to hand a guy a event shirt , flag, a hot dog and a soda For lunch and just assume he is able do his job properly?

Should there be paid pro flaggers, or something better than volunteers doing the job?
In the Boggle/Cianciarulo practice crash, there was a flagger waving the yellow flag. Visibility of the flag was very clear from the TV camera view, as for on track, I can’t say.

Bogle throwing his hands up insinuating that someone other than himself was at fault, shows a rush of judgement.

Should there be paid pro flaggers? No.
bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
9/9/2020 12:36pm
Identify the flag.

🐖, 🥨, 🏓, 🏁
deluxeman
9/9/2020 12:55pm
You just sign up for the " Ray Charles School of Flagging" correspondence course, it's only $19.95 a month.

In this in depth course you will learn such intricate skills as....

1.How to always keep your back to the action no matter what
2. How to NOT wave the flag properly
3. How to move an injured rider in the most inappropriate way
4. When, during a race is the best time to check out the girls in the pits
5. Where to stand so the flag is invisible to oncoming traffic
6. Where the free food is at at every track

An may other valuable skills that will lead to a long career in flagging at any Pro or amateur AMA race.

Yes the AMA/Feld needs paid professional flaggers and officials. At bare minimum they need to be trained and certified before they can flag a Pro race. But hey it's only moto, it's just a backwards sport that cannot move forward or use technology like accurate live timing by sector.

9/9/2020 1:18pm
Brent wrote:
Last week, inept flagging lead to Bogle’s crash with Cianciarulo, resulting in injuries and destruction of equipment. Also, I noticed the leaders getting the blue flag...

Sure! Let’s price this sport to the moon and saddle tracks with more potential liability.
Mr. Afterbar
9/9/2020 1:28pm
A guy that my buddy and I had to explain how to flag to before practice at Mt. Morris one year raced the GNCC there and that's how he got the "in" to flag.
Johnny Depp
9/9/2020 1:32pm
Often times local dirt bike clubs are the source for flaggers, I was recommended by an friend to Danny Erdeljac II (RIP) who handled SX flagging in Houston for around 20 years. I was the rookie (45 year dirt biker) and was surprised at the level of professionalism and training. Helmets with radio, 3 different levels of track workers and a few in the stands working the leader lights. We got paid $150 on a credit card. The guy running the team had just started an improved program taking it to a high level for Feld.
It was a killer good time, and a lot of standing. I scored the best spot at the end of some wicked whoops before the 180 finish line jump. Stalked Gibby. At least 3 times I had to take evasive action with bikes and riders flying, several hard ass crashes on the track right at my feet.
Find out how and get in, you won't regret it.

I did the Austin COTA MotoGP also. 3 long days is too much for free. Good training and benefits but no $. Been there done that, in front of a Big Screen from now on.
9/9/2020 2:07pm
C.Worthy wrote:
I flagged the National at Elsinore in 2013. It was definitely a cool experience but not sure if I’d do it again. Super long day baking...
Your right about being a long day. I flagged at my local track a few times. Flagger group is unique and the biggest fans. I,ve just flagged for 5 motos, then raced for free also.
Brent
9/9/2020 7:03pm
C.Worthy wrote:
...wasn't that the day it was about a million degrees and the start was in the bowl over the hill?

I was fighting people for a spot in the shade under the Red Bull tent all damn day...

Post a reply to: How to become a flagger at the Nationals?

The Latest