Hydration Preferences

montesagold
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 10:09pm
Just curious what everyone prefers... Water, Gatorade/PowerAde, Pedialyte, Cytomax/etc.? What is your standard race week/ race day habits when it comes to staying hydrated. I know everyone has their personal preference but it is one thing that every single person racing a motorcycle has to take in consideration. I race GNCCs in the 3 hour class and hydration is the deal breaker for me. I'm not in the shape I need to be in but if I start early in the week with hydration and stay on top of it I can get by. If I catch myself starting too late in the week I always feel it on race day. I prefer Pedialyte because it seems to absorb faster and I can drink more of it since it doesn't feel as heavy on my stomach as water. Also, re-hydration or mid raceday hydration? Does anyone try anything different for that?
|
Acidreamer
6/14/2017 8:36am
I like propels electrolyte water. 3/4 a day usually does it for me.
TXDirt
6/14/2017 8:40am
During the week or two weeks leading up to an event I drink lots of water. Would try and go for a gallon a day. After any workouts and between any motos I like Gatorade for recovery and flavor.
bigmaico
6/14/2017 8:47am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2017 8:49am
Being that's it's 90% & HUMID! outside, I'm just about to go for a MTB ride for an hour on my 11 mile route over Lake Houston ( only a very little part of the lake) I'm already got one bottle of Poweraid zero downed & working on my second bottle of water. I also take a bottle of water with me on the MTB.

Just didn't makeup my 2Qt bottle of Cytomax yet, but I will when I get back from my ride!

Normally at the track it's water & Cytomax.
tempura
6/14/2017 8:49am
Pocari Sweat and water does it for me

The Shop

tempura
6/14/2017 8:53am
bigmaico wrote:
Being that's it's 90% & HUMID! outside, I'm just about to go for a MTB ride for an hour on my 11 mile route over Lake...
Being that's it's 90% & HUMID! outside, I'm just about to go for a MTB ride for an hour on my 11 mile route over Lake Houston ( only a very little part of the lake) I'm already got one bottle of Poweraid zero downed & working on my second bottle of water. I also take a bottle of water with me on the MTB.

Just didn't makeup my 2Qt bottle of Cytomax yet, but I will when I get back from my ride!

Normally at the track it's water & Cytomax.
Stay away from the "zero" drinks. They contain Aspartame
Stuntman949
6/14/2017 9:15am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2017 9:19am
Trader Joe's water. I was skeptical at first. Coors Light for post-race recovery.
Titan1
6/14/2017 9:22am
The moto races around here are 4 laps...no reason to even do anything different than any other day.

But for a 3 or 4 hour hare and hound...I try and drink a gallon of water a day for AT LEAST the week leading up to the race (preferrably two weeks). Day before the race and the morning of the race, I'll drink a pedialite (half the day before and half the day of). Then I just carry water in my hydration pack and drink consistently throughout the race.
6/14/2017 9:22am
Water. It's really the only (and best) thing you need.

Only sometimes when I get dizzy, due to really humid weather I mix water with syrup to get some sugars in.
BobPA
6/14/2017 9:24am
Twisted Tea originals with my bacon and eggs. Gatorade, cheap vodka, and Middleswarth BBQ chips for lunch. Coors Original and a burger for dinner. I'll live to 115.
Forty
6/14/2017 9:49am
Titan1 wrote:
I know some guys racing in the desert are drinking coconut water....it literally triggers my gag reflex (its that nasty)...but it has a ton of natural...
I know some guys racing in the desert are drinking coconut water....it literally triggers my gag reflex (its that nasty)...but it has a ton of natural electrolytes in it.

This stuff:

https://taldepot.com/zico-pure-premium-natural-coconut-water-16-9-oz-bo…
It works....it's nasty, but it works.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
6/14/2017 9:53am
mix of 50/50 water and Gatorade....if I don't care....a couple of monsters(green kind)
Mx286
6/14/2017 10:12am
TXDirt wrote:
During the week or two weeks leading up to an event I drink lots of water. Would try and go for a gallon a day. After...
During the week or two weeks leading up to an event I drink lots of water. Would try and go for a gallon a day. After any workouts and between any motos I like Gatorade for recovery and flavor.
X2
Aj528
6/14/2017 11:00am
I was a California kid but used to come spend 4 weeks in south eastern Oklahoma to get ready for Ponca and Lorettas riding 3 25 minute Motos a day 5-6 days a week plus cycling and the rest of my traing trying to get acclimated to the heat and humidity. Obviously hydration was a huge deal.. we had a big 5 gallon Gatorade dispenser and would keep it filled with a pediatlyte/water mix with ice and with three of us riding we were going through 5 gallons a day. Our mix was 1 deal of pedialytle to a gallon of water... we did three of those and filled the rest with ice. Was pissing clear mid July in Oklahoma. So I believe in that combo. Also pedialytle now added like 5 flavors this year plus their own version of otter pops.
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
6/14/2017 11:09am
And an hour before and immediately after the race I drink about 1/2 cup of dill pickle juice. No kidding. Helps me with prevention/decrease of muscle cramps.
Titan1
6/14/2017 11:23am
Hman144 wrote:
And an hour before and immediately after the race I drink about 1/2 cup of dill pickle juice. No kidding. Helps me with prevention/decrease of muscle...
And an hour before and immediately after the race I drink about 1/2 cup of dill pickle juice. No kidding. Helps me with prevention/decrease of muscle cramps.
I've never tried it...but I know of so many people that swear by pickle juice...
KMC440
6/14/2017 11:37am
Pickle juice works period. Used it at cross country and track meets. Drink the right out of the jar and eat a pickle or two while your at it. Amazing stuff.
During the week I'm going through at least 1 1/2 gal water a day.
My old coach used to bitch like hell at us if we weren't pissing every 45min to an hour at meets.
Post race hydration consists of a water or two then coors light with ibuprofen and hopefully a leftover oxy. Blush I'm not perfect. Tongue
IWreckALot
6/14/2017 11:37am
I drink pickle juice or coconut water on race days.
6/14/2017 11:41am
Drinking to thirst is enough to keep you hydrated pre, during, and post race. So many people swear by the "gallon a day" rule for an entire week before an event, in reality this isnt necessary. Sports drinks and their high electrolyte concentrations can also be overkill. The real reason to have a sports drink is for the sugar content and glycogen storage. Electrolytes are important but rarely are the limiting factor in performance decreases seen with endurance exercise. Keep your glucose levels high enough and make sure you have sufficient glycogen stores (white pasta/fast GI foods 4 hours before event is fine). A lot of the "drink as much as you possibly can" attitudes people have today were perpetuated by the sports drink industry trying to increase sales back in the day. Trust your body's thirst levels, if youre not thirsty youre likely not dehydrated. Our body has a great ability to maintain homeostasis.
bigmaico
6/14/2017 11:55am
My real reason for drinking as much as I do, Is that I only have one kidney left & the Wife is a RN & watches my Creatin (sp) Levels to make sure that I keep my system flushed.

Just looked & found that even Pediltye has some not so healthy additives.
6/14/2017 12:11pm
Drinking to thirst is enough to keep you hydrated pre, during, and post race. So many people swear by the "gallon a day" rule for an...
Drinking to thirst is enough to keep you hydrated pre, during, and post race. So many people swear by the "gallon a day" rule for an entire week before an event, in reality this isnt necessary. Sports drinks and their high electrolyte concentrations can also be overkill. The real reason to have a sports drink is for the sugar content and glycogen storage. Electrolytes are important but rarely are the limiting factor in performance decreases seen with endurance exercise. Keep your glucose levels high enough and make sure you have sufficient glycogen stores (white pasta/fast GI foods 4 hours before event is fine). A lot of the "drink as much as you possibly can" attitudes people have today were perpetuated by the sports drink industry trying to increase sales back in the day. Trust your body's thirst levels, if youre not thirsty youre likely not dehydrated. Our body has a great ability to maintain homeostasis.
I have to disagree with the "If you're not thirsty you're likely not dehydrated" comment. On the flip side, as soon as you "feel" thirsty you are either definitely in the dehydration state or you've recently consumed way too much sodium in your diet.

The point of maintaining excellent hydration before strenuous activity is limit dehydration DURING the activity. Have you ever felt fine before a moto only to get cotton mouth mid moto? If that happens, you haven't hydrated properly leading up to the race.

The "1 gallon per day" theory doesn't apply to everyone. There is definitely a risk of over hydrating and basically drowning the cells in your body. You get this "drunk" sensation when consuming too much water. You also get a lethargic sensation when dehydrated.

According to my undergrad biochemistry courses, you should be urinating pale yellow to clear every 1-2 hours throughout the day. If you find yourself running to the bathroom multiple times per hour, you are consuming way too much water. Again, this is a general guideline that doesn't apply correctly to everyone, but its something to work off of.
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
6/14/2017 12:29pm
Riding at Lake Elsinore in the summer be like...
wwwwWWAATERRRRRR
Motoxdoc
6/14/2017 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2017 12:37pm
Rock Star and Red Bull is good for the spectators.....Hammer's "Heed" or "Perpetuem" for me!
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
6/14/2017 1:01pm
Nuun

I've been using this stuff since 2008 or so, once I finally figured out how to properly hydrate. I sweat a bit more than average, and growing up in the East Coast humidity, I would always have muscle cramps after races (and sometimes during), no matter how good my fitness was because I was not replacing the salt/electrolytes I was losing while sweating buckets. When I finally educated myself I how the body uses electrolytes, it clicked for me.

When I did LL's in 2010, hydration was my biggest concern and during training I began taking Nuun pretty much anytime I would exercise, but especially when cycling or motoing. It's sugar-free but doesn't have that fake sugar taste and there are a bunch of flavor options. It's a little on the pricey side, but I think it's worth it.

Check'em out. NUUN. The Nuun-active is what I use.
agn5009
6/14/2017 1:05pm
BobPA wrote:
Twisted Tea originals with my bacon and eggs. Gatorade, cheap vodka, and Middleswarth BBQ chips for lunch. Coors Original and a burger for dinner. I'll live...
Twisted Tea originals with my bacon and eggs. Gatorade, cheap vodka, and Middleswarth BBQ chips for lunch. Coors Original and a burger for dinner. I'll live to 115.
Twisted tea?

Post a reply to: Hydration Preferences

The Latest