Hypothetical question for So. Cal riders

sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
4/30/2018 8:29am
"If" there was an indoor track near your house or work that rented electric mx bikes to practice on during the week, some place where you could show up with your gear, hop on an electric bike and practice for an hour after work, or on a long lunch break or even before work, would you pay $50.00 to ride for an hour ? Just for the sake of argument lets assume it's not a long drive from your house or work, the bikes work good and the track is fun. You wouldn't have to load, fuel, or clean your bike, don't even need a truck. Just show up with your gear and get a fun workout in an hour. Would you pay $50.00 for an hour ?
|
yamahamx
4/30/2018 8:30am
Yes. Hell yes.
Xeno
4/30/2018 8:34am
Yes. But as you know, it doesn't need to be indoors in OC.
Any outdoor lot with good lights and dust control will do fine. There won't be any noise complaints!
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
4/30/2018 9:04am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 9:32am
Xeno wrote:
Yes. But as you know, it doesn't need to be indoors in OC. Any outdoor lot with good lights and dust control will do fine. There...
Any outdoor lot with good lights and dust control will do fine. There won't be any noise complaints!
True but a building has advantages like, a place to lock up and store everything as well as keep everyone out after hours. plus an office space to do the day to day of getting the money, doing all the business part of itWater use would be way less, especially since you could re-use whatever soaked through onto the concrete floor, of course it's have to be sloped into a basin and have an easy way to collect and spray it back on the track, plus maybe AC in the summer ? LOL I also think it's easier to find an unused building than un-used land. A friend had a business plan approved for this but it went south once the epa was involved.

The Shop

PFitzG38
4/30/2018 9:07am
absofuggenloutly! twice a week, minimum.

This is a no-brainer. Make it Happen Captain !!
PFitzG38
4/30/2018 9:12am
Xeno wrote:
Yes. But as you know, it doesn't need to be indoors in OC. Any outdoor lot with good lights and dust control will do fine. There...
Tustin Air Base Hangers - Viewing lounges with couches, Storage unit rentals, Food court, Shops, Swimming Pools, Dancing gIrls
Xeno
4/30/2018 9:20am
I was thinking more like Camp Pendleton USMC. Security won't be an issue, the locals are well-armed. Woohoo
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
4/30/2018 9:27am
PFitzG38 wrote:
Tustin Air Base Hangers - Viewing lounges with couches, Storage unit rentals, Food court, Shops, Swimming Pools, Dancing gIrls
Photo's, lap time printouts, mx video games, mini night with Osets, goggles, boots, gear for sale, a full gym on site, the possibilities are endless. Who's got a couple million or so laying around to get it rolling ?
4/30/2018 9:30am
Wisconsin Loooooong winters would be better than sunny CA
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
4/30/2018 9:30am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 9:31am
Xeno wrote:
I was thinking more like Camp Pendleton USMC. Security won't be an issue, the locals are well-armed. Woohoo
Laughing USMCMX I like it. Plus 6 minutes from my house ! Sell it as way to train the marines how to ride so they don't wad it up coming home from Big Helens BlinkLaughing
Stuntman949
4/30/2018 9:38am
The K1 of moto? Sign me up. I would gladly pay for my non moto friends to try it out if it was reasonably safe.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
4/30/2018 9:54am
The K1 of moto? Sign me up. I would gladly pay for my non moto friends to try it out if it was reasonably safe.
The jumps would be rounded table tops. One idea was to make a standard supercoss triple sized jump, same takeoff and landings but it would be an upward arched tabletop so the rider would never be more than 4 feet or so off the ground if they cleared the whole thing. They'd know just what it feels like to clear a supercross triple, without any chance of coming up short. The goal being to get repeat customers and keep cartwheeling bikes to a minimum lol
cfox109
Fantasy
1748th
4/30/2018 9:57am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 10:01am
I don't think there will be a place where you'll actually be able to make a profit in populated areas. Competing with developers in socal has you at a disadvantage from the start. The space needed for Moto is going to be a lot more than karts, and there's no way you'll get the same amount of traffic coming in. However, it would be cool to use ebikes to open saddleback back up.
luna966
4/30/2018 10:07am
Yup, I back this as long as there is a option to bring your own electric bike if you already own one. Of course cheaper entry fee if you're not renting a bike. This could seriously be the future of mx, very exciting.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/30/2018 10:17am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 10:29am
luna966 wrote:
Yup, I back this as long as there is a option to bring your own electric bike if you already own one. Of course cheaper entry...
Yup, I back this as long as there is a option to bring your own electric bike if you already own one. Of course cheaper entry fee if you're not renting a bike. This could seriously be the future of mx, very exciting.
While I would probably be a customer once in awhile, this IS NOT the “Future of MX”, IMO

If it is, then I’m getting out of it... can you imagine going to SX to watch a race with all electric bikes ? Personally that sounds pretty lame, but I’m sure the tree huggers would love it !

BTW- This has already been done in Vegas. It was only open fur a short period of time and the bikes (ZERO) weren’t up to where they needed to be. The Alta is a whole different ballgame !

https://www.electricbike.com/lasvegas/

http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=28098

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/nevada_14606/ride_c4c7…
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
4/30/2018 10:26am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 10:27am
luna966 wrote:
Yup, I back this as long as there is a option to bring your own electric bike if you already own one. Of course cheaper entry...
langhammx wrote:
While I would probably be a customer once in awhile, this IS NOT the “Future of MX”, IMO If it is, then I’m getting out of...
While I would probably be a customer once in awhile, this IS NOT the “Future of MX”, IMO

If it is, then I’m getting out of it... can you imagine going to SX to watch a race with all electric bikes ? Personally that sounds pretty lame, but I’m sure the tree huggers would love it !

BTW- This has already been done in Vegas. It was only open fur a short period of time and the bikes (ZERO) weren’t up to where they needed to be. The Alta is a whole different ballgame !

I know of a few unused warehouses near us with plenty of space..

But I completely agree. If SX goes all electric, no thanks.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/30/2018 10:36am
luna966 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
While I would probably be a customer once in awhile, this IS NOT the “Future of MX”, IMO If it is, then I’m getting out of...

mattyhamz2 wrote:

I almost opened up an indoor go cart track before MB2 opened. I did a lot of research and put together a budget for the plan and the cost to get up and running was over 1.5M and monthly/ yearly costs/ insurance, etc was pretty crazy. MB2 is making money, but not what they thought they were going to make. They both have careers outside the go cart track, or they would’ve had to close the doors a long time ago. Mike Gosselaar’s cousin is one of the owners. He was also Drew’s mechanic when he was still racing amateurs with Tanner.

I’d love to see someone put it together, I’d be a customer. Especially if they ran AC on the summer. lol
Not like we get a lot of rain here in So Cal, but it would likely be crowded on rainy days. But I’d be riding in the hills the next day !
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
4/30/2018 10:46am
langhammx wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

langhammx wrote:
I almost opened up an indoor go cart track before MB2 opened. I did a lot of research and put together a budget for the plan...
I almost opened up an indoor go cart track before MB2 opened. I did a lot of research and put together a budget for the plan and the cost to get up and running was over 1.5M and monthly/ yearly costs/ insurance, etc was pretty crazy. MB2 is making money, but not what they thought they were going to make. They both have careers outside the go cart track, or they would’ve had to close the doors a long time ago. Mike Gosselaar’s cousin is one of the owners. He was also Drew’s mechanic when he was still racing amateurs with Tanner.

I’d love to see someone put it together, I’d be a customer. Especially if they ran AC on the summer. lol
Not like we get a lot of rain here in So Cal, but it would likely be crowded on rainy days. But I’d be riding in the hills the next day !
I remember Mike telling us his cousin was an owner shortly after it opened. Haven't been there in a long time. Maybe it's time to head back?

I'd like to see it done also. Be nice to just show up on lunch or when I have some free time and spin some laps then head out and not have to worry about washing the bike or maintenance haha.
PFitzG38
4/30/2018 10:52am
PFitzG38 wrote:
sumdood wrote:
Photo's, lap time printouts, mx video games, mini night with Osets, goggles, boots, gear for sale, a full gym on site, the possibilities are endless. Who's...
Photo's, lap time printouts, mx video games, mini night with Osets, goggles, boots, gear for sale, a full gym on site, the possibilities are endless. Who's got a couple million or so laying around to get it rolling ?
That's my vision, it's been talked about, but electric rentals could be what makes it happen. Alta et al would sure as hell be onboard!
PFitzG38
4/30/2018 10:57am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

That train of thought is silly. Just like the snowboarders vs skier skism that was around back in the day. Who cares how you get down the mountain as long as you get down? Wait a sec I just thought of quads.........................nevermind
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
4/30/2018 11:46am
Sounds like a blast but I would think the liability issues would be a concern. Carts are one thing, you stay on the ground for the most part. Jumping triples, hitting whoops...I see assholes n elbows and many a broken body to put a damper on things
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
4/30/2018 12:00pm
I think it would be awesome. The market is limited, but it could be a thing if done in the right location.

The liability of people jumping would be kind of sketchy but only on a maintenance level, “the bars were loose and caused me to crash or tire went flat causing me to crash and get hurt, I’m suing”, but the mountain bike rental market has that handled. So where there is a will there is a way.

Maybe the track needs to be made out of the rubber that playgrounds are made out of now. Soft enough to fall on. Run a super moto style tire instead of knobbies and it should be good to go. No dust, less injuries, less track maintenance and the “wave of the future”.

Post a reply to: Hypothetical question for So. Cal riders

The Latest