I don’t even know why I want to know the answer to this..

11/24/2020 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2020 2:26pm
Trivial, I know, but for some reason it keeps coming back to me..

For as long as I can remember, manufacturers have assembled their bikes with the swing-arm pivot bolt inserted from the right, with the nut on the left.

I’ve noticed they’ve (noticed on Honda) started doing it the opposite way around.

Any ideas why?

|
TheCRKid
11/24/2020 2:02pm
Looks like the new Honda way you do not need to remove the brake pedal to get the swingarm bolt out
11/24/2020 2:05pm
TheCRKid wrote:
Looks like the new Honda way you do not need to remove the brake pedal to get the swingarm bolt out
Good theory.
But do you need to remove the brake pedal to get a socket on it? (Honestly can’t tell from that photo.)

Late model CRF owners??
silver753
11/24/2020 2:11pm
My guess is you would have to ask some sort of structural engineer who built that frame. Almost the same as motor mount or linkage bolt directions. Might be something with the amount of torque / flex / that the frame and bolt work in conjunction with.

I see lots of rear wheels with axles in backwards and I'm sure maybe on some sort of engineering level it makes a difference, but to the normal rider it doesn't affect anything.
hypermoto
11/24/2020 2:15pm
TheCRKid wrote:
Good theory. But do you need to remove the brake pedal to get a socket on it? (Honestly can’t tell from that photo.) Late model CRF...
Good theory.
But do you need to remove the brake pedal to get a socket on it? (Honestly can’t tell from that photo.)

Late model CRF owners??
It looks like a small enough amount that just pushing the pedal down would create the clearance

The Shop

11/24/2020 2:28pm
silver753 wrote:
My guess is you would have to ask some sort of structural engineer who built that frame. Almost the same as motor mount or linkage bolt...
My guess is you would have to ask some sort of structural engineer who built that frame. Almost the same as motor mount or linkage bolt directions. Might be something with the amount of torque / flex / that the frame and bolt work in conjunction with.

I see lots of rear wheels with axles in backwards and I'm sure maybe on some sort of engineering level it makes a difference, but to the normal rider it doesn't affect anything.
Yes I’ve seen documents regarding rear axle fitment in the past.

The theory is that with the rear axle nut on the right side, whilst tightening it up you’re pushing the wheel forward against the chain adjuster blocks.

Whereas with the nut on the left side whilst tightening it up you’ll be pulling the wheel rear wards effectively pulling the wheel out of true.
omalley
11/24/2020 2:35pm
TheCRKid wrote:
Good theory. But do you need to remove the brake pedal to get a socket on it? (Honestly can’t tell from that photo.) Late model CRF...
Good theory.

Late model CRF owners??
hypermoto wrote:
It looks like a small enough amount that just pushing the pedal down would create the clearance
Yep, especially if the caliper was pushed on first to separate the pads.
philG
11/24/2020 2:42pm
omalley wrote:
Yep, especially if the caliper was pushed on first to separate the pads.
The first time someone sees you do that and their jaw hits the ground.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
11/24/2020 4:13pm
Ya this has messed with me too. Glad I'm not the only one.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
11/24/2020 4:31pm
Vital riders who can feel the handling ruining effect of a skid plate and a 1ft/lb difference in triple clamp torque can also feel the massive improvement of the swingarm nut being on the brake side.
lil717
11/24/2020 5:09pm
If you put the axle in back to front , catching the bolt in ruts and such can also start to undo the nut
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
11/24/2020 5:22pm
lil717 wrote:
If you put the axle in back to front , catching the bolt in ruts and such can also start to undo the nut
I didn’t even think about that!
11/24/2020 5:47pm
My brother worked at Nakatomi Plaza in the swing arm frame assembly section, being a left handed he always installed the nut on the shifter side.

A while back he was promoted to the Electric MX bike division installing power bands, he was replaced by a short busty Nigerian woman who is right handed, she now puts the nuts on the brake side.

Now you know why you didn't really want to know the answer.
Bruce372
11/24/2020 6:28pm
They've run artifical intelligence on all public mx tracks and realized more left hand turns. The weight bias from swapping swing arm bolt, actually drops 1 sec a lap over the competition
hypermoto
11/24/2020 8:46pm
FGR01 wrote:
Vital riders who can feel the handling ruining effect of a skid plate and a 1ft/lb difference in triple clamp torque can also feel the massive...
Vital riders who can feel the handling ruining effect of a skid plate and a 1ft/lb difference in triple clamp torque can also feel the massive improvement of the swingarm nut being on the brake side.
It really is game changing
TXDirt
11/24/2020 9:03pm
The head of the bolt should always be where more pressure/force is expected. You are much more likely to shear off a nut then the actual bolt head. The threaded area of a bolt is significantly weaker then the smooth shaft and head.

This sound like a Hustler article. lol
11/24/2020 11:12pm
FGR01 wrote:
Vital riders who can feel the handling ruining effect of a skid plate and a 1ft/lb difference in triple clamp torque can also feel the massive...
Half of the riders couldn’t tell you if they’ve got a rear wheel puncture! 😆
11/25/2020 12:21am
New Hondas are assembled in the southern hemisphere, therefore the axle goes in the opposite direction...
JustMX
11/25/2020 3:58am
Yes I’ve seen documents regarding rear axle fitment in the past. The theory is that with the rear axle nut on the right side, whilst tightening...
Yes I’ve seen documents regarding rear axle fitment in the past.

The theory is that with the rear axle nut on the right side, whilst tightening it up you’re pushing the wheel forward against the chain adjuster blocks.

Whereas with the nut on the left side whilst tightening it up you’ll be pulling the wheel rear wards effectively pulling the wheel out of true.
You must have missed the update where it goes into detail on how all those factors change by just moving your tools 180 degrees in the axis.
JustMX
11/25/2020 3:59am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2020 4:02am
TXDirt wrote:
The head of the bolt should always be where more pressure/force is expected. You are much more likely to shear off a nut then the actual...
The head of the bolt should always be where more pressure/force is expected. You are much more likely to shear off a nut then the actual bolt head. The threaded area of a bolt is significantly weaker then the smooth shaft and head.

This sound like a Hustler article. lol
When I imagine your post being read by Charlize theron, I keep breaking axle nuts
olympiamann
11/25/2020 2:26pm
silver753 wrote:
My guess is you would have to ask some sort of structural engineer who built that frame. Almost the same as motor mount or linkage bolt...

Installing the Axle in backwards will require the triangle stand that comes with the bike to be inserted from the right (wrong) side of the bike...Most stands I've seen will not go in the threaded end...The hole is smaller ..But who uses the triangle stand that much...

Post a reply to: I don’t even know why I want to know the answer to this..

The Latest