I need some help from a fabricator...

Bauer
Edited Date/Time 6/10/2022 5:43am
After 40 years of increasing pain, I had my right wrist fused 14 months ago. Dr. Ting talked me into it and it was the biggest mistake of my life, by far. I'd give anything to reverse it, but that's not an option. I'd always heard that Rick Johnson's wrist was fused and I figured if he could still ride fairly decent then so could I, but I ran into Rick at Broc's charity deal in Del Mar and we compared wrists. His wrist is not fused. He has a limited amount of movement, pretty close to what I had before the surgery.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I can ride a street bike with no problem, but I finally went out on my dual-sport and in the dirt I'm basically fucked. Throttle control is too big of a factor and isn't compatible with doing the chicken wing bit. So, I've thought long and hard and searched all over the web for options. I read a couple of threads here on Vital also and the consensus is that my options are suck it up or use a thumb throttle. These are not acceptable to me.

I want a left-handed throttle. If guys can race with only one arm then I can adapt to a left-hand throttle. I do not think I could adapt to swapping the clutch and brake levers though...way too many hours perfecting my throttle/clutch traction control, plus I'm a front brake master. I think with a Rekluse clutch and left-hand throttle I could be good to go for some GNCC stuff and Grand Prix action.

Now I need to fabricate a left-hand throttle. I'm talking about a mirror image of a modern throttle housing and tube. I don't want to hear about how Indians had them in the roaring twenties. I'm wondering if the old Gunnar Gasser could be converted. I'm open to any and all advice or suggestions, other than to go fuck myself. I'd really appreciate it.

This shit has me so depressed, especially when I realized I never considered the effect on my golf swing. I basically cannot turn my right hand over at the bottom of my swing during impact and release. No more draw and no chance of ever getting back to a single digit hdcp in this lifetime. Oh well.

Thanks for reading my whiny plea for help, see ya.

Below is what I was dealing with before the fusion. It had just enough flexion to ride well...until I would hit a big curb, or G-out, or land hard off a jump. Then it would be bone-on-bone crushing and my wrist would be junk for the day/week/month, whatever.

|
10/17/2013 2:32am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2013 2:37am
I guess you ride a 2-stroke since you dont just swap the cables on your existing throttle.
Why not buy a 4-stroke throttle and just use the return cable and plug the other?
Hope this makes sense, pretty new to the 4-strokes and the technical terms that come with it.
After 10 tears as an electrician my right wrist is starting to mess with me too, thing I might need a new job not to end up like you one day.
Good luck with your riding!
Bauer
10/17/2013 2:35am
Can't just turn the throttle over, it would twist the wrong direction.
ndub117
10/17/2013 2:48am
have you tryed a g2 throttle cam? if you pick the quick throw cam you will only have to turn the throttle a small amount for alot of throttle, could be the cheapest option and easyer to get used to than switching hands...

The Shop

motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
10/17/2013 2:53am
What kind of bike are we talking abut Bauer?
10/17/2013 3:51am
Have you considered a finger throttle? You could probably keep it on the right side if it doesn't interfere with the brake. They are make for jet ski's, but can probably be adapted for whatever bike you have.
motomike894
10/17/2013 4:11am
I don't have a solid solution for you but I'm glad you told story about fusing my left foot is fucked shattered it 12 years ago at 20 years old had pins and screws in it for 4 months didn't use it at all, anyway I know have very bad arthritis and it's just bone on bone in one bad spot I lost about half my movement in it but can still do everything just find but some days I can barely walk when I get up only fix is fusing it doctor said I'd have little to no pain ever again if he fuses it but I'll lose some movement.

I guess I'll be holding out until the pain is unbearable 24/7 cause I don't wanna have that happen at least it's my foot/ankle not throttle hand but still.

I would think the easiest thing to do gay or not would be a thumb throttle lol
IWreckALot
10/17/2013 4:30am
Have you considered a finger throttle? You could probably keep it on the right side if it doesn't interfere with the brake. They are make for...
Have you considered a finger throttle? You could probably keep it on the right side if it doesn't interfere with the brake. They are make for jet ski's, but can probably be adapted for whatever bike you have.
I think you'd still have the same thing he is concerned about with a thumb throttle. I think it would be easier to whiskey throttle with this kind of a throttle than a thumb throttle. Maybe not though.
Bauer
10/17/2013 4:54am
I don't have a solid solution for you but I'm glad you told story about fusing my left foot is fucked shattered it 12 years ago...
I don't have a solid solution for you but I'm glad you told story about fusing my left foot is fucked shattered it 12 years ago at 20 years old had pins and screws in it for 4 months didn't use it at all, anyway I know have very bad arthritis and it's just bone on bone in one bad spot I lost about half my movement in it but can still do everything just find but some days I can barely walk when I get up only fix is fusing it doctor said I'd have little to no pain ever again if he fuses it but I'll lose some movement.

I guess I'll be holding out until the pain is unbearable 24/7 cause I don't wanna have that happen at least it's my foot/ankle not throttle hand but still.

I would think the easiest thing to do gay or not would be a thumb throttle lol
I cannot advise you strongly enough to avoid fusion at all costs. To be honest, I'd rather have to be hooked on painkillers than be where I'm at now. You just do not realize how much difference even the slightest movement makes until you don't have it anymore. Jesus Christ, I can't even wash under my ballsack with my right hand, or wipe my ass! Lucky for me I was a left handed asswiper anyways! LOL!

What's stupid is that I laughed at my docs each time they would tell me that I had to just man it out, and if it got unbearable they could fuse it. Then a couple years ago I got sick of going riding and jamming my wrist and having it feel broken for a few days, so I went to the best wrist doctors I could find, thinking maybe they had some new technology by now. They all said the same thing, my wrist was garbage and they could fuse it. When the last doc I saw, Dr. Ting, painted this rosy picture of how I'll be able to ride so much better and that my wrist was "basically already fused" and I'd be pain free, I said fuck yes, let's do it.

As soon as I left the hospital I regretted doing it and it's only gotten worse. I really feel like he lied to me, or misrepresented the facts because no one had ever told him how fucking awful a fused wrist is. I dunno, I like Ting, but I'm bitter...
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
10/17/2013 5:18am
OldFart is the best fabricator here. Both my wrists are bad, no way would I have done that! Damn.
TerryK
10/17/2013 5:33am
Sorry to hear this Steve, I had no idea you had the fusion done. Any GOOD machinist could make you a mirror image throttle. It will be pricey, but should last for the rest of your riding days. I know an amazing machinist and he's a gearhead. I'll ask him what he thinks.
35smom
10/17/2013 6:30am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2013 6:38am
Contact Harold Glissen (Only One Inspiration) http://onlyoneinspiration.com/ . He built one for Devin Rochon. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/10/17/34220/s1200_1235068_10151685810182688_1976967125_n.jpg[/img]
Contact Harold Glissen (Only One Inspiration) http://onlyoneinspiration.com/ . He built one for Devin Rochon.

Just what I was going to suggest!!! Bauer PM me and ill give you his number
*Just sent you a PM
slipdog
10/17/2013 6:37am
Sorry to hear this Bauer, I wish you the best of luck.

All I can add is for anyone else reading this, do your homework when it comes to having a major joint fused. I have no experience myself, but this is pretty much the same story that eventually led to Ridge having his lower led amputated. Every person I have ever known that had a fusion seems to regret it after the fact.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
10/17/2013 6:53am
My friend had it done and he feels the same way. He uses a finger pull throttle, but its omly a single cable.

Are they reversable?
hillbilly
10/17/2013 7:06am
Holy hell steve.

Shoulda used some good Tennessee or Kentucky whiskey to keep it lubed.

A 4str throttle housing has 2 cams,one for each cable, i think it would work on the left and use the close cam.
Robgvx
10/17/2013 7:08am
Contact Harold Glissen (Only One Inspiration) http://onlyoneinspiration.com/ . He built one for Devin Rochon. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/10/17/34220/s1200_1235068_10151685810182688_1976967125_n.jpg[/img]
Contact Harold Glissen (Only One Inspiration) http://onlyoneinspiration.com/ . He built one for Devin Rochon.

35smom wrote:
Just what I was going to suggest!!! Bauer PM me and ill give you his number
*Just sent you a PM
From the cable entry point that looks like it's just a normal throttle which would work in a 'forward to open' fashion.
Tim507
10/17/2013 7:17am
I would contact motion pro.....bet they would have a solution
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
10/17/2013 7:25am
You have actually more options then you realize. 1/4 turn throttle works for some, but people with almost no movement I've seen finger and thumb throttles from quad or snowmobile used. Good luck, hope you can continue to ride.
three9zero
10/17/2013 8:01am
Steve

I know Devon Rochon well and he lives here in Calgary(He rides with a left throttle for obvious reasons, I can put you in touch with him if you'd like. He's also on facebook.
Trav138
10/17/2013 8:02am
Hang in there Steve, you will find a solution. I am in the same boat, i am currently exploring options on a thumb brake or some kind of rear brake bar set up, due to my amputation. I've been where your at and it sucks but keep positive and it will work out for ya.
JM485
10/17/2013 8:21am
I would check out Jackrabbit devices. They make a finger throttle that is specialy designed for hill climbing, but I think it could be a good option for you. I don't run one, so I can't give you an idea of how durable they are, but it might be worth a google search to check out.
nc97
10/17/2013 8:58am
I've got a friend that was into 4 whelers before swithing to bikes. He runs a thumb throttle and goes pretty good with it. I think I'd go that route verus left handed throttle.
BobbyM
10/17/2013 9:09am
Sorry to hear the results. Can't help with a wrist problem but I do have a sweet left leg for riding if you ever need it.
Eatmydirt03
10/17/2013 9:10am
Bauer wrote:
After 40 years of increasing pain, I had my right wrist fused 14 months ago. Dr. Ting talked me into it and it was the biggest...
After 40 years of increasing pain, I had my right wrist fused 14 months ago. Dr. Ting talked me into it and it was the biggest mistake of my life, by far. I'd give anything to reverse it, but that's not an option. I'd always heard that Rick Johnson's wrist was fused and I figured if he could still ride fairly decent then so could I, but I ran into Rick at Broc's charity deal in Del Mar and we compared wrists. His wrist is not fused. He has a limited amount of movement, pretty close to what I had before the surgery.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I can ride a street bike with no problem, but I finally went out on my dual-sport and in the dirt I'm basically fucked. Throttle control is too big of a factor and isn't compatible with doing the chicken wing bit. So, I've thought long and hard and searched all over the web for options. I read a couple of threads here on Vital also and the consensus is that my options are suck it up or use a thumb throttle. These are not acceptable to me.

I want a left-handed throttle. If guys can race with only one arm then I can adapt to a left-hand throttle. I do not think I could adapt to swapping the clutch and brake levers though...way too many hours perfecting my throttle/clutch traction control, plus I'm a front brake master. I think with a Rekluse clutch and left-hand throttle I could be good to go for some GNCC stuff and Grand Prix action.

Now I need to fabricate a left-hand throttle. I'm talking about a mirror image of a modern throttle housing and tube. I don't want to hear about how Indians had them in the roaring twenties. I'm wondering if the old Gunnar Gasser could be converted. I'm open to any and all advice or suggestions, other than to go fuck myself. I'd really appreciate it.

This shit has me so depressed, especially when I realized I never considered the effect on my golf swing. I basically cannot turn my right hand over at the bottom of my swing during impact and release. No more draw and no chance of ever getting back to a single digit hdcp in this lifetime. Oh well.

Thanks for reading my whiny plea for help, see ya.

Below is what I was dealing with before the fusion. It had just enough flexion to ride well...until I would hit a big curb, or G-out, or land hard off a jump. Then it would be bone-on-bone crushing and my wrist would be junk for the day/week/month, whatever.

Did your wrist problem start with breaking your navicular or scaphoid I know they have several terms for it.
RiV
10/17/2013 11:40am
The dual cable push-pull type throttles mentioned earlier should work running only one cable
to your carb from the "push" side of the throttle cam. I have accidentally hooked up old CB 350
Honda cables backwards and yes they rotated forward to accell...which would be back when
mounted on the lh side. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rj…
10/17/2013 12:13pm
About your golf swing , a truly good golf swing is really all the left arm anyway. ( BOB TOSKI taught me that yes Thee Bob Toski)
I spent weeks hitting balls with my left hand only. yes i can dive farther with 2 hands but honestly my middle irons and short game at the time were pin point deadly. made a lot of extra cash on the driving range with old guy that thought they were better then that "kid" in the fox t -shirt and long hair

work on your swing with just the left hand and the body. can be don't... the right hand is just like training wheels on a bike really.

Pushing and fading are easy to do just with swing adjustment either outside in or inside out. its still how i control the ball. my swing is essentially the same just what i do with the club head.

why did i do this u may ask? in 83 i cashed practicing at the other end of the airport in Carlsbad... dislocated shoulder and torn roter. in 83 there was nothing they could do. so once the pain was minimal i stated back playing golf. my high school golf coach was friends with Toski and he hooked me up. Years later while racing Vet class in so Cal, yea id get blown by at practice day at Glen Helen but I've had my revenge on the golf course with a few of them Wink

As far as the throttle thing goes. im sure theres someone out there that can fab one out for yea. im sure u know more of those guys then i do.

cwtoyota
10/17/2013 1:08pm
I didn't read everyone's comments, so forgive me if someone else already suggested this.

Do you ride a four stroke with dual throttle cables?

It might be really easy just to switch a four stroke throttle to the left side, then switch the cables at the carb or throttle body to reverse the pull direction.

It may require a little bit of modification to the housing.

If it helps a guy to keep riding, I'm willing to try to help you out.

I have unlimited access to a full 4-axis vertical CNC milling machine, so I may be able to help modify some parts or build some new parts.

What make/model of bike are you riding? Does it have the double throttle cables, or a single style like a two stroke?
TerryK
10/17/2013 4:11pm
cwtoyota wrote:
I didn't read everyone's comments, so forgive me if someone else already suggested this. Do you ride a four stroke with dual throttle cables? It might...
I didn't read everyone's comments, so forgive me if someone else already suggested this.

Do you ride a four stroke with dual throttle cables?

It might be really easy just to switch a four stroke throttle to the left side, then switch the cables at the carb or throttle body to reverse the pull direction.

It may require a little bit of modification to the housing.

If it helps a guy to keep riding, I'm willing to try to help you out.

I have unlimited access to a full 4-axis vertical CNC milling machine, so I may be able to help modify some parts or build some new parts.

What make/model of bike are you riding? Does it have the double throttle cables, or a single style like a two stroke?
Well hell man Cad up a left hand throttle and get busy on that CNC! Help a brother out! Tongue

Post a reply to: I need some help from a fabricator...

The Latest