Impact of championships on brands

GoldenKTM
Does anyone have a clue on how a championship impacts the sales of a brand? Companies seem to think it is significant with all the investment into teams but does it really have a sway with their customers?

The bike is the most obvious for potential customers, but there are smaller brands that invest in racing... I wonder if they have significant returns.

FMF won every single supercross title this year. Fly, Thor and Alpinestars gear wearers won titles. Plessenger wears a Bell helmet, will more people buy them now?

I wonder if it honestly makes a difference. I'm not buying a set of Fly gear now because Zach O won back to back titles, I'm happy with what I have and I suspect most feel this way.
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/6/2018 11:50am
Championship to brands look very good in marketing advertisements. I'm sure those influence kids more than adults.

As adults I don't think it makes much of a difference. You'll buy what you believe is the best product for you, what's in your budget, etc. regardless of if the brand has championships or not.
5/6/2018 11:53am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2018 11:54am
Winning championships means more tv exposure. The logo is on the box. Advertisement. You are not buying fly gear but we all know what the new stuff looks like because he’s on the box wearing it.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
5/6/2018 12:28pm
Didn’t help Suzuki much in bike sales during the RC/Reed/Dungey/Roczen championships.

But has been amazing for KTM.

So who knows?
5/6/2018 1:18pm
Didn’t help Suzuki much in bike sales during the RC/Reed/Dungey/Roczen championships.

So who knows?
Ktm was a unique case though as they went from an ok bike that no one was racing to an industry giant that greatly improved their bike and expanded into racing.

The Shop

5/6/2018 1:42pm
When I read the specs on the 2016 model ktms when they were first released it was a moment of clarity. They one a shootout in 2015, then the 2016 spec said most hp, lightest, and electric start. I then knew it would not be long until I had one. Enduro guys telling me they were getting 200+ hrs out of their engines with just oil changes and air filters didnt hurt either.
endurox
5/6/2018 2:07pm
E start was what put the 4 stroke KTM's on the map way back in 2001.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
5/6/2018 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2018 7:16pm
I think it does. the more I watched the huskys the more I liked them. would they catch the eye in 19th place? not sure. probably be my next bike.
gear also. if I see a cool set up it makes me want it.
RbR
5/7/2018 6:08pm

So who knows?
Most understood that the factory Zooks were outstanding ... production machines, not so much.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
5/7/2018 6:44pm
GoldenKTM wrote:
Does anyone have a clue on how a championship impacts the sales of a brand? Companies seem to think it is significant with all the investment...
Does anyone have a clue on how a championship impacts the sales of a brand? Companies seem to think it is significant with all the investment into teams but does it really have a sway with their customers?

The bike is the most obvious for potential customers, but there are smaller brands that invest in racing... I wonder if they have significant returns.

FMF won every single supercross title this year. Fly, Thor and Alpinestars gear wearers won titles. Plessenger wears a Bell helmet, will more people buy them now?

I wonder if it honestly makes a difference. I'm not buying a set of Fly gear now because Zach O won back to back titles, I'm happy with what I have and I suspect most feel this way.
hard to say. suzuki rmz450 has been one of the winningest bikes in the last 15 years with 8 titles since RC4. but they under sell everyone.

a lot of it is brand loyalty and magazine ratings.

when every bike is an A" bike but you score 90 when everyone is 99. so on paper, your last so it looks bad

and brand loyalty is when everyone says the changes made to the bike is the worst thing ever making it a crap bike but everyone still buys it
Mm471
5/7/2018 7:25pm
It seems to be good for proving new bikes/designs are legit like ktms seven straight years of record sales or the Yamaha’s 250f sales

Post a reply to: Impact of championships on brands

The Latest