Insulin pump and motocross

Freddyfred
Hi
My Dr again suggested I start using an insulin pump to get my high blood sugar looking better.
I rejected it 10 years ago but started wondering if there are better devices these days that would work with a motocross lifestyle.

Does anyone in here ride with an insulin pump and if so, what model?

Cheers/ Fred
|
APLMAN99
7/2/2020 4:03pm
Type 1?

Can’t speak to riding with one, but my wife and oldest daughter are Type 1 and use insulin pumps linked to CGMs and they are great. You still need to calibrate them often, but much better than constantly testing and using syringes.

You can always disconnect the pump while riding, and just connect it again when you get back to the truck. The biggest thing is that you don’t have the uneven Lantus delivery with the pump.
Freddyfred
7/2/2020 4:06pm
Yeah type 1.
Years ago someone said the lines can be flushed if you take the pump off but is it a pain in the arse I wonder?

Would be interesting to hear someone who has a pump and rides.
mxmaniac
7/2/2020 4:31pm
Daniel Milner from Australia, one of the best offroad racers in the world runs one i am pretty sure. Maybe worth sending him a DM on Instagram, he is one of the best blokes you will stumble across.
Freddyfred
7/2/2020 4:42pm
Nice! Thanks for the tip. I do have Australian citizenship and speak fluent Australian so should be a piece of piss.

The Shop

Orange224
7/2/2020 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2020 5:20pm
How old are you? I am a vet rider these days who has been riding since age 3 and been a Type 1 Diabetic since age 5... technology has definitely changed and improved throughout the years to help manage with everything. I have tried the pump a few times throughout my life but never liked it between moto, surfing, etc. I have spoken to a bunch of riders with Type 1 using the pump over the years and most of them take the pump off but keep everything else attached until after the racing/riding is over. To be honest, my life completely changed (for both riding and just everyday life) when starting to use Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) (https://www.dexcom.com/g6-cgm-system) ... basically, you get a live stream all day of what your blood sugars are (you can see on the phone app / Dexcom hand held receiver) and where it is heading which is amazing to know for insulin injections or low blood sugars. Not sure if you ever heard of it but check it out and see if it works for you. I am always wearing mine on a daily basis whether it be during riding or everyday life and it has helped more than anything to monitor blood sugar levels (I have never had my A1C levels anywhere near 7... always way below but that is due to my strict diet/lifestyle) going all over the place during throughout the day. If you have any questions, just let me know and hopefully I can help with my own life experience.
Freddyfred
7/2/2020 5:36pm
Orange224 thanks for your post. I’m 43 so a vet rider also and I’ve had type 1 since age 7.
I use the Abbott Freestyle LibreLink CGM that I scan with my phone. It doesn’t transmit the values to the phone by itself so doesn’t alarm when low or high but it’s way better than pricking your finger which in periods of my life, wasn’t done in years.

I’m interested to find out, just like you mentioned, what is done when riding. Does taking off and putting on take a lot of time, do you have to compensate when putting back on etc. I guess that’s my main concern. Also are there pumps that are easier to operate?
Orange224
7/2/2020 6:30pm
Freddyfred wrote:
Orange224 thanks for your post. I’m 43 so a vet rider also and I’ve had type 1 since age 7. I use the Abbott Freestyle LibreLink...
Orange224 thanks for your post. I’m 43 so a vet rider also and I’ve had type 1 since age 7.
I use the Abbott Freestyle LibreLink CGM that I scan with my phone. It doesn’t transmit the values to the phone by itself so doesn’t alarm when low or high but it’s way better than pricking your finger which in periods of my life, wasn’t done in years.

I’m interested to find out, just like you mentioned, what is done when riding. Does taking off and putting on take a lot of time, do you have to compensate when putting back on etc. I guess that’s my main concern. Also are there pumps that are easier to operate?
I use the Dexcom G6 version and still give myself daily insulin injections throughout the day as needed (old school I know, but if it isn't broke then why fix it? My Dexcom beeps and vibrates (depends on how you want the setting) whenever the blood sugar is going too low or high. Also, I do not detach anything on me while doing my everyday thing or riding at all but replace the sensor every 10 days for a new one back into my left or right abdomen.
MX915
7/2/2020 6:33pm
Orange224 wrote:
How old are you? I am a vet rider these days who has been riding since age 3 and been a Type 1 Diabetic since age...
How old are you? I am a vet rider these days who has been riding since age 3 and been a Type 1 Diabetic since age 5... technology has definitely changed and improved throughout the years to help manage with everything. I have tried the pump a few times throughout my life but never liked it between moto, surfing, etc. I have spoken to a bunch of riders with Type 1 using the pump over the years and most of them take the pump off but keep everything else attached until after the racing/riding is over. To be honest, my life completely changed (for both riding and just everyday life) when starting to use Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) (https://www.dexcom.com/g6-cgm-system) ... basically, you get a live stream all day of what your blood sugars are (you can see on the phone app / Dexcom hand held receiver) and where it is heading which is amazing to know for insulin injections or low blood sugars. Not sure if you ever heard of it but check it out and see if it works for you. I am always wearing mine on a daily basis whether it be during riding or everyday life and it has helped more than anything to monitor blood sugar levels (I have never had my A1C levels anywhere near 7... always way below but that is due to my strict diet/lifestyle) going all over the place during throughout the day. If you have any questions, just let me know and hopefully I can help with my own life experience.
This right here. Been a Type 1 for 25 years now. Have had a pump for about 4 years (Tandem T-Slim) and just recently got a Dexcom CGM.

CGM is a game changer for riding. I take my pump off when riding and I race hare scrambles so for 2 hours im without my pump. Before CGM it was trying to find a balancing act to get a glucose reading higj enough to not tank turing the race but low enough so going 2 hours without a basal rate wouldn’t create high readings after the race. Basically this involved getting to the race at 8 for a 10 oclock start and checking every 20-30 min and eating / bolusing accordingly.

Now with CGM i can see where glucose is trending (high/low) over the past 24 hours and see whether it is dropping, rising, constant, etc. Much less guesswork and much more consistency (and my A1C has been constantly in the 6’s since ive been on the pump).

I definitely suggest you look into it. I also just got a new pump where the CGM and pump talk to eachother (Tslim with Control IQ). It adjusts the basal rate based on a 30 minute prediction based on the CGM readings and trends. Closest thing to an artificial pancreas available IMO.

Anyway, good luck. Its not really a terrible deal and there are much worse crosses to bear. The key is finding what works for you and it takes time.
APLMAN99
7/2/2020 7:23pm
Freddyfred wrote:
Yeah type 1. Years ago someone said the lines can be flushed if you take the pump off but is it a pain in the arse...
Yeah type 1.
Years ago someone said the lines can be flushed if you take the pump off but is it a pain in the arse I wonder?

Would be interesting to hear someone who has a pump and rides.
The lines don’t really need to be flushed, you simply change the infusion port every several days. I think that my wife’s needs to be changed every 3 or 4 days. The pump connects to the infusion set by something akin to a quick disconnect fitting.

My wife disconnects hers for showering, bathing, swimming, etc. Because she puts it in disconnect mode, her CGM knows to alert her quicker because it knows that she won’t be receiving insulin.

One tip is that most insurance companies have a “preferred” brand of pump or CGM that they will try to get you to use because of financial considerations. But if your doctor feels that a different brand or type is better for your situation, it usually only takes a letter from them to get their recommended equipment covered as fully as any other equipment.
TerryB
7/2/2020 8:03pm
My son has been using the Dexcom G6 CGM along with an Omnipod insulin pump. It has been the best combination of tools yet for type 1. He's been using them for three years with amazing control and results.
OLDMOTO
7/2/2020 11:06pm
Freddyfred wrote:
Hi My Dr again suggested I start using an insulin pump to get my high blood sugar looking better. I rejected it 10 years ago but...
Hi
My Dr again suggested I start using an insulin pump to get my high blood sugar looking better.
I rejected it 10 years ago but started wondering if there are better devices these days that would work with a motocross lifestyle.

Cheers/ Fred
I had a friend that rode with one. We did long rides through Baja, some were overnight two day trips and long rides through the California deserts. He never had an issue with the pump or with his blood sugar levels that I am aware of.
crusher773
7/2/2020 11:11pm
My wife is 43 and has been type 1 since she was 8. She would definitely suggest using one like mentioned above she also had a CGM and it helps her be so much more level. Just a couple weeks ago one of her parts didn't show up like it was supposed to and she said she didn't realize how much more level she was with the CGM. She does judo which not the same as riding but still strenuous and she just takes it off. If she feels it getting high she will put it back on and check it but she hasn't ever really had issues.
NMX168
7/3/2020 4:55am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2020 4:56am
Like those who have posted above, I am a Type 1 also. I use the Libre CGM and like it very much. I have never used a pump and my concern RACING with one would be a bad crash. The CGM's are fantastic and the Dexcom can eliminate the low episodes which are such a danger especially at night. The Dexcom is better than the Libre as it is "officially" not a CGM although it does a great job as I use it and is much less expensive insurance wise at least for me.The huge downside is no alarms but they have one in Europe that has alarms now but it is not approved by the FDA here yet. When I am riding or working out, I check my glucose several times about 2 hours before and up to just when I am going to start racing or working out. It is a huge challenge to not bonk during a 3 hour Hare Scramble but moto or a workout doesn't last nearly that long.
mica.lagross
Fantasy
2297th
7/3/2020 6:43am
NMX168 wrote:
Like those who have posted above, I am a Type 1 also. I use the Libre CGM and like it very much. I have never used...
Like those who have posted above, I am a Type 1 also. I use the Libre CGM and like it very much. I have never used a pump and my concern RACING with one would be a bad crash. The CGM's are fantastic and the Dexcom can eliminate the low episodes which are such a danger especially at night. The Dexcom is better than the Libre as it is "officially" not a CGM although it does a great job as I use it and is much less expensive insurance wise at least for me.The huge downside is no alarms but they have one in Europe that has alarms now but it is not approved by the FDA here yet. When I am riding or working out, I check my glucose several times about 2 hours before and up to just when I am going to start racing or working out. It is a huge challenge to not bonk during a 3 hour Hare Scramble but moto or a workout doesn't last nearly that long.
I used to race with my Medtronic pump and Dexcom G6. I've had a few bad crashes that resulted in me being run over by ~20 bikes or so. Didn't damage the pump or Dexcom. I use a band that has pockets and it goes under my jersey and that's what I've had the best luck with so far.
Freddyfred
7/3/2020 7:53am
Some good info here, thanks a bunch!
I always ride with a kidney belt, feel naked without.

You guys that ride with a pump, would it be possible to use a kidney belt with the pump and Dexcom G6?
Adam43
7/3/2020 8:22am
I am T1D also - diagnosed at 33 years old a few years ago.

I use the Libre CGM but no pump. I would have some concerns about it falling off or getting otherwise damaged. I already lose plenty of Libre sensors as it is doing longer sand motos when things get sweaty.

My take would be that if you are having enough episodes that the pump will improve your daily life, go for it.
MX915
7/3/2020 9:21am
Adam43 wrote:
I am T1D also - diagnosed at 33 years old a few years ago. I use the Libre CGM but no pump. I would have some...
I am T1D also - diagnosed at 33 years old a few years ago.

I use the Libre CGM but no pump. I would have some concerns about it falling off or getting otherwise damaged. I already lose plenty of Libre sensors as it is doing longer sand motos when things get sweaty.

My take would be that if you are having enough episodes that the pump will improve your daily life, go for it.
I dont know if youve tried, but Skin-Tac wipes instead of alcohol wipes when applying help a lot. It has an adhesive in it which helps bond to the adhesive on the sensor / infusion set.

Also, the place that provides the Dexcom supplies includes clear adhesive wound dressings to put over the sensor. I haven’t lost a Dexcom sensor yet (pool, moto, shower, etc.)
Nest755
7/3/2020 3:40pm
Dexcom G6 is Awesome.
I’ve had various pumps over the past 10 years or so. I started out riding without it but switched to wearing it while riding. In my opinion the Omnipod is the absolute best insulin pump out there for active people. I love mine as much as you can love a pump. I’ve been T1 for 37 years and was very hesitant to get a pump. It helped control my sugars much much better. My opinion is you have to be mentally ready to wear a pump tho.
mxmaniac
7/3/2020 6:20pm
Freddyfred wrote:
Nice! Thanks for the tip. I do have Australian citizenship and speak fluent Australian so should be a piece of piss.
you have the lingo dialled haha
Ryan625
7/3/2020 9:51pm
I am really glad that someone started this thread! I am a type 1 as well, raced my whole life and rode pro a little, was a pro backcountry snowmobiler as well. These activities have always kept me from making the switch to the pump, but more and more I am thinking about it. This has definitely motivated me to take another serious consideration.
Mucktub
7/4/2020 3:39am
Every year when we go to the MXDN I meet up with a friend's brother who like me is type 1, he uses a pump, I don't, we both use the Libre sensor system. His control is generally better than mine without a doubt, what bewildered me the most was how little insulin he uses compared to me. He seemed to use 4,5,6 units when I was administering 16, 17, 18 units for very similar carb intake. I know there are multiple factors in good control but it seems that I have become somewhat insulin resistant, I am finding it a struggle to get consistent levels, yo-yoing like fuck. Maybe a pump might be the worth considering.
Prntscrn
7/4/2020 4:19am
I usually take it off and every hour i put it back on and take 1 units of insulin or whatever my basal insulin level is set to at that time, maybe a little less since I'm being active.

Pump wise the tandem t-slim + Dexcom G6 with basal IQ pretty much changed my life, look it up.
nickm
7/6/2020 6:46pm
Been T1 for 30 years. Have never used a pump, I've always found it too restrictive. Having seen a lot of gadgets come and go over the past three decades, the Dexcom G6 is by far the best monitoring and control tool I've ever experienced. Everyone reacts differently to intense exercise, in my case my glucose levels fall rapidly and severely. The G6 let me see what was going on and allowed me to compensate for it. Buy a beat up used iPhone and strap it to your bars or get an Apple Watch and see how your sugar levels move during riding...remarkable insight that was literally impossible to get just a few short years ago.

that said, If I were young again, I sure would have liked the Dexcom and pump that communicates..
7/8/2020 8:38am
Freddyfred wrote:
Hi My Dr again suggested I start using an insulin pump to get my high blood sugar looking better. I rejected it 10 years ago but...
Hi

Cheers/ Fred
Omni Pod is an option. It does not have a tube from pump to site. Give Daniel Milner a follow. He is a T1 from Australia that rides Mx and XC.
My son is on a CGM, and we mounted his iPhone in a case to his roost guard so we could track his number.
7/8/2020 8:42am
Freddyfred wrote:
Hi

Cheers/ Fred
Look for a book by Dr. Ponder called “Sugar Surfing”.

He is a type 1 endo in Texas. And he has compiled his methods into a book that has some helpful information.

Post a reply to: Insulin pump and motocross

The Latest