Interesting conversation with MotoSport.com

Holigan
Edited Date/Time 8/24/2018 11:33pm
I placed an order on July 7th. It stated that my order would not arrive until the 16th, so I chose to pay an extra $25 to have it shipped UPS Next Day Air. Since the 7th was a Saturday, I knew it would not ship until Monday the 9th. Tuesday and Wednesday, no package. Today I received an email stating that it is being shipped today via UPS Next Day Air and I will receive it on the 13th.

I called to discuss it with them. I said that since it did not go out the next business day, I should be refunded my $25 for UPS Next Day Air. They explained to me that they just received it, and they are shipping it out UPS Next Day Air and I should be OK with that because I will receive the package before the 16th. I said under that logic, they could ship the item any day and as long as they shipped it UPS Next Day Air, they could say that it was next day. They responded "Yes, that is correct."

I then spoke with a manager and he said the same, any day they ship it is OK as long as they send it UPS Next Day Air and I receive it on or before the 16th. And that I would not be refunded my $25. I told them I would whine about it on VitalMX to see if it made me feel any better, and he said that was fine.

I buy some stuff online every month, moto and non-moto. Is this the standard business practice now, next day means the next day from whenever they decide to ship it? It is only $25 so not a big deal, and life goes on, but it seems like a strange policy.
|
WarrenMX
7/12/2018 1:00pm
I'd be pissed if that happened to me. All good sites will state what the cut off time for shipping is. For example, order before 3pm ET and your package will be shipped same day. If I'dpaid for next day shipping and ordered before 3pm, I'd expect to get my package next day.
SoCalMX70
7/12/2018 1:03pm
It is typically next day from whenever they get the item in stock. You said they told you they "just received it", so obviously it wasn't in stock. This is normal.
TXDirt
7/12/2018 1:05pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
It is typically next day from whenever they get the item in stock. You said they told you they "just received it", so obviously it wasn't...
It is typically next day from whenever they get the item in stock. You said they told you they "just received it", so obviously it wasn't in stock. This is normal.
Agree.

OP needs to give more details.

Was the item in stock or not? Obviously they cannot ship an item out next day air if they themselves don't even have it in stock yet.

The Shop

SoCalMX70
7/12/2018 1:05pm
Also, if you really told them in jest that you would whine about it on Vital, hats off to you. Grinning
7/12/2018 1:08pm
That’s a joke. Next day air in my business means you have it in your hands next day. If ordered on the weekend then we are talking Tuesday at the latest. I’d dispute the charge with your credit card company or PayPal
slipdog
7/12/2018 1:09pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
It is typically next day from whenever they get the item in stock. You said they told you they "just received it", so obviously it wasn't...
If I'm not mistaken their shopping cart tells you whether it is in stock or "will ship in 5-7 days".

That means they have to order it from the supplier or OEM first.
7/12/2018 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2018 1:13pm
That’s a joke. Next day air in my business means you have it in your hands next day. If ordered on the weekend then we are...
That’s a joke. Next day air in my business means you have it in your hands next day. If ordered on the weekend then we are talking Tuesday at the latest. I’d dispute the charge with your credit card company or PayPal
Next day air only works if they have the part in stock. If they have to order the part, as is often the case with OEM parts or not-so-common aftermarket parts, then Motosport.com needs to receive the part before they can ship it, next day air.

It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. How is Motosport.com supposed to ship a part next day air if they don't have that part in hand at that very moment?

Perhaps next time you order something "next day air" you verify the part is in stock so your precious expectations are met.
WarrenMX
7/12/2018 1:13pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I guess by that logic the shop can just decide to get the item in stock 6 months or 6 years later for that matter and then just ship it next day.

I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and say he was not informed that the item was out of stock and would require additional processing time.
7/12/2018 1:14pm
That’s a joke. Next day air in my business means you have it in your hands next day. If ordered on the weekend then we are...
Next day air only works if they have the part in stock. If they have to order the part, as is often the case with OEM...
Next day air only works if they have the part in stock. If they have to order the part, as is often the case with OEM parts or not-so-common aftermarket parts, then Motosport.com needs to receive the part before they can ship it, next day air.

It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. How is Motosport.com supposed to ship a part next day air if they don't have that part in hand at that very moment?

Perhaps next time you order something "next day air" you verify the part is in stock so your precious expectations are met.
Yeah just did that. Ordered a pipe from BTO sports who did not have it in stock in their warehouses so they had it drop shipped to me straight from the distributor. Guess how long it took?
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/12/2018 1:15pm
Chances are pretty good there was an item that had to go from the warehouse to the shipping facility before being shipped to you.

WarrenMX
7/12/2018 1:19pm
Next day air only works if they have the part in stock. If they have to order the part, as is often the case with OEM...

Perhaps the store should have the decency to let the customer know that they need to order it from the OEM first and that it's going to take extra time to process. Why is it on the customer to call them and check? That defeats the object of an online service. Technology has come far enough to allow stores to display live stock info on their site and/or display an automatic message telling a customer that a particular part has to be put on special order and thus taking longer to process.

It really isn't fucking rocket science anymore.

Broughton859
7/12/2018 1:19pm
So I work for one of the big Ecom sites and not I'm not going to throw Motosport under the bus but you should have been told upfront that the item wouldn't ship out that Monday. On our site we display if we need to receive it before we ship it to customer with a note like "Requires 1-2 business days of lead time prior to shipment" and I figured they would do that as well. In addition to that, is someone choses expedited shipping and there is required lead time on the order customer service will reach out to you to and let you know of the issue and find out if there is a way to fix it or if a 1 or 2 day delay is ok or not.

We have multiple steps in place to not have these issues and surprised this would be an issue with them
7/12/2018 1:21pm
The smarter business practice would be to not offer next day shipping on items that are not currently in stock.
Evoracer
7/12/2018 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2018 1:23pm
I've had similar issues with motosport, and bto. "In stock" these days seemingly means the items are available to them to sell to you, NOT in stock at their location.

Online, I go with Rocky Mountain Atv with no such problems.
Rdubs19
7/12/2018 1:24pm
What with the internet these days, sometimes customers get ridiculous with expectations or outright demands. This is not one of those times. Totally, utterly unprofessional on their part, along with a pretty absurd idea about what "next day shipping" means. If it's not even in stock, don't offer next day shipping.

For what it's worth, I use BTO probably 90% of the time, and they are fantastic.
whyZ
7/12/2018 1:27pm
About the only thing that surprises me about this is the Next Day freight charge was only $25.00.
Holigan
7/12/2018 1:39pm
TXDirt wrote:
Agree. OP needs to give more details. Was the item in stock or not? Obviously they cannot ship an item out next day air if they...
Agree.

OP needs to give more details.

Was the item in stock or not? Obviously they cannot ship an item out next day air if they themselves don't even have it in stock yet.
It did not say either way, just said it would arrive by the 16th, so I paid extra for UPS Next Day Air since I wanted by Tuesday.
Holigan
7/12/2018 1:40pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Also, if you really told them in jest that you would whine about it on Vital, hats off to you. Grinning
Actually told him I would bitch on Vital to see if it made me feel better about their policy of any day can be next day. He said fine.
Holigan
7/12/2018 1:44pm

Nothing precious about it. Expectation was next day means next business day. They explained their policy is any day can be next day. I am questioning if this is standard in online sales.
Moto520
7/12/2018 1:45pm
I understand why you would have an issue with that scenario. Personally I am a huge fan of Motosport and have had the best luck getting items quickly with them. In a jam.....I would call them moving forward and figure out if the item they are shipping is in their stock. Doesn't excuse the confusion but that's what I would do moving forward.
MotoMo165
7/12/2018 1:49pm
Well if you would have gone with regular shipping would you have received it even later? If not next day air seems useless
500guy
7/12/2018 1:51pm
So I work for one of the big Ecom sites and not I'm not going to throw Motosport under the bus but you should have been...
So I work for one of the big Ecom sites and not I'm not going to throw Motosport under the bus but you should have been told upfront that the item wouldn't ship out that Monday. On our site we display if we need to receive it before we ship it to customer with a note like "Requires 1-2 business days of lead time prior to shipment" and I figured they would do that as well. In addition to that, is someone choses expedited shipping and there is required lead time on the order customer service will reach out to you to and let you know of the issue and find out if there is a way to fix it or if a 1 or 2 day delay is ok or not.

We have multiple steps in place to not have these issues and surprised this would be an issue with them
This seems like how it should be handled, I agree most places if they could not ship out by Monday that was the next Business day that they should have been talking to the customer about it.
BroFoSho
7/12/2018 1:55pm
If they won't compensate you or refund you I would simply take my business elsewhere.

plowboy
7/12/2018 2:10pm
As mentioned...if not in stock...have it shipped from THEIR supplier straight to your door. This is the RIGHT way to do business.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/12/2018 2:26pm
plowboy wrote:
As mentioned...if not in stock...have it shipped from THEIR supplier straight to your door. This is the RIGHT way to do business.
Most suppliers wont drop ship straight to the customer.
SoCalMX70
7/12/2018 2:38pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
WarrenMX wrote:
I guess by that logic the shop can just decide to get the item in stock 6 months or 6 years later for that matter and...
I guess by that logic the shop can just decide to get the item in stock 6 months or 6 years later for that matter and then just ship it next day.

I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and say he was not informed that the item was out of stock and would require additional processing time.
These sites tell you on the page if they are in stock or not. It's pretty damn straight forward. If it said it was in stock and he just missed it by 1, that is an exception, not the rule.

Also, the logic you are arguing is the norm. Go order an out of stock item with next day shipping added, tell me what happens...
plowboy
7/12/2018 2:43pm
I guess we all missed the point...do you FEEL better brother...I know I do.Silly

Post a reply to: Interesting conversation with MotoSport.com

The Latest