Interesting write up about MX and Concussions , by Cooksey

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
|
murph783
10/22/2018 4:03pm
Entirely too true, and very well written. I’ve definitely felt like there’s been a connection between my numerous head injuries, and subsequent mental issues. Can’t prove the connection necessarily, but if it leads into new treatments that help people like the trans cranial magnet therapy that helps people, well hey. It’s worth bringing up.
Johnny Depp
10/22/2018 4:27pm
Interesting and great information. This type of magnetic treatment has been used with success in other mental ailments as well, from autism to Alzheimer's. This is the 1st I have heard it mentioned for post concussion syndrome.

DanDunes818
10/22/2018 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2018 4:46pm
I love Cooksey's honestly and why it's awesome having him at MotoXAddicts, but he took that to a whole new level on this and opened himself up way more than I expected for the readers.

Here's a link that actually takes you to the article. The one the OP posted requires a second click.

This is a subject that obviously hits home for a lot of us, and I can't wait to read and learn more. I've been knocked out 11 times that I know of for sure and at 47 I have many of the symptoms.
swtwtwtw
10/22/2018 6:05pm
Thanks. I was invited recently to a CRE/concussion study and then disinvited after it was discovered that I am a motocrosser. Oh well. They only wanted people who have played football (American)

The Shop

10/22/2018 6:18pm
Appreciate the kind words, simply sharing my experience. I have a passion for this sport and hope sharing my experience brings awareness to a new treatment that keeps us healthy and riding for years to come.
10/22/2018 6:20pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
Thanks. I was invited recently to a CRE/concussion study and then disinvited after it was discovered that I am a motocrosser. Oh well. They only wanted...
Thanks. I was invited recently to a CRE/concussion study and then disinvited after it was discovered that I am a motocrosser. Oh well. They only wanted people who have played football (American)
Damn! That sucks!
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/22/2018 6:46pm
I was just talking to my wife Yesterday about Concussions
(Which was before I read this) and I dont know if there's any connection, but I've had a lot of Concussions, and I'm in my early 40's and for the last year I have had a really hard time waking up , not physically but mentally, like it takes me at least an hour to gather my bearings and feel somewhat normal and able to be up to doing anything, i have talked to a Dr about feeling like that in the morning but i didn't say anything about having had a lot of Concussions to the Dr.
LungButter
10/22/2018 7:07pm
Thanks for putting that out there Cooksey.

I'll be very interested to see how this goes down the road.
NorCal 50+
10/22/2018 7:46pm
I played three years of youth football and left every practice and game with a slight headache. It was just a normal part of the sport when you are slamming your skulls together at full speed, even at that age. Then I got into moto and have been knocked cold a couple of times. At this stage in life I wonder what effect it has- I can't imagine there was none.
10/22/2018 7:55pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I played three years of youth football and left every practice and game with a slight headache. It was just a normal part of the sport...
I played three years of youth football and left every practice and game with a slight headache. It was just a normal part of the sport when you are slamming your skulls together at full speed, even at that age. Then I got into moto and have been knocked cold a couple of times. At this stage in life I wonder what effect it has- I can't imagine there was none.
It’s crazy, some people have issues and others don’t... The brain is ridiculously complex, it was shocking how much brain science is disputed. I decided to get the TMS treatment and see if it helps me and my issues, and share with the Moto community.
NorCal 50+
10/22/2018 8:47pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I played three years of youth football and left every practice and game with a slight headache. It was just a normal part of the sport...
It’s crazy, some people have issues and others don’t... The brain is ridiculously complex, it was shocking how much brain science is disputed. I decided to...
It’s crazy, some people have issues and others don’t... The brain is ridiculously complex, it was shocking how much brain science is disputed. I decided to get the TMS treatment and see if it helps me and my issues, and share with the Moto community.
I found it to be a very perceptive article and kudos to you for stepping up and moving the conversation forward. I wish you all the best with your effort. I'm pretty sure most racers on here have experienced at least one or two of the problems you describe. I certainly have.
murph783
10/23/2018 5:32am
Tarz483 wrote:
I was just talking to my wife Yesterday about Concussions (Which was before I read this) and I dont know if there's any connection, but I've...
(Which was before I read this) and I dont know if there's any connection, but I've had a lot of Concussions, and I'm in my early 40's and for the last year I have had a really hard time waking up , not physically but mentally, like it takes me at least an hour to gather my bearings and feel somewhat normal and able to be up to doing anything, i have talked to a Dr about feeling like that in the morning but i didn't say anything about having had a lot of Concussions to the Dr.
I’ve had some pretty similar symptoms, I actually ended up getting put on some adhd medication, it seems to work pretty well. Cuts through the fog essentially. Started happening around 21-22, my doctor actually said there seems to be a link between multiple concussions and later onset add/adhd type symptoms (post school age), which I guess this qualifies as.
billyp330
10/23/2018 6:01am
Tarz483 wrote:
I was just talking to my wife Yesterday about Concussions (Which was before I read this) and I dont know if there's any connection, but I've...
murph783 wrote:
I’ve had some pretty similar symptoms, I actually ended up getting put on some adhd medication, it seems to work pretty well. Cuts through the fog...
I’ve had some pretty similar symptoms, I actually ended up getting put on some adhd medication, it seems to work pretty well. Cuts through the fog essentially. Started happening around 21-22, my doctor actually said there seems to be a link between multiple concussions and later onset add/adhd type symptoms (post school age), which I guess this qualifies as.
I have often wondered if my concussions have affected my train of thought at times. I have 4, first one I was about 15 and the last one was when I was 21 (I am now 25). I was still in college during my last one and I swear it made me struggle more with school as I was unable to focus on my school work. I thought about going to Drs. and getting checked for add/adhd but I hate the idea of having to take pills and also seems like everyone has add/adhd nowadays. Also, if I am watching a movie or playing a video game, I can be so focused that I get like lost into it and my wife will start yelling at me because I had her completely blocked out. Seems weird that I can focus so much during those things that I block out all things around me, yet when I want or need to focus on something like work or a project at home or school work back when I was in school I just cant get into it and find my brain jumping around.

Recently, my father started having vertigo like symptoms where he would get very dizzy to the point he would fall and couldnt back up for a couple hours. He also would get very sick feeling. He has had 7 concussions and is now 46 years old. He saw a doctor about it a few months ago and they prescribed him some pills (not sure what they are, but I believe they are for vertigo). The Dr. said he did believe his concussions were the cause of these symptoms even though it had been about 6 years since my dads last concussion (damn 20ft double at our local indoor track got him). Since he has been on the pills, he has had no issues at all so it seems to be working. I am not sure if he would have to keep taking the pills indefinitely or if they will try to take him off them after a while or what the deal is, but it has definitely made me think about concussions and long term effects.

I want to add also that neither myself or my dad (to my knowledge at least) have had any depression issues. Both of us agree though that our mental focus isnt the same as it use to be and believe the concussions are the cause but IDK. I have looked up several things and like mentioned previsouly in this thread, even Drs. and experts have conflicting data, so as of right now there doesn't seem to be any clear resolution.

Wish you the best of luck Chris and look forward to hearing more about your experience with the TMS. Thanks for sharing.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/23/2018 6:58am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2018 6:59am
LungButter wrote:

Thanks for sharing Chris I look forward to following your story also, and i follow your MX work as well .
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
10/23/2018 7:26am
I relate to this article completely. Also I have noticed that a lot of our athletes kind of talk the same too. Kind of a hesitant sort of studder or mis spoken sentences when talking maybe under pressure. But the patterns are all the same and I have been noticing for many years but it is scarry to bring to light for many reasons.
10/23/2018 6:55pm
LungButter wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:
Thanks for sharing Chris I look forward to following your story also, and i follow your MX work as well .
Thanks!!
ChubbyCat113
10/24/2018 2:18am
Very cool article. My wife is a Health and PE Teacher and she hits this topic very hard and researched to the point that she doesn't want our kids to play football.

Luckily the helmet technology is so good now it will be unbelievable in 5 more year.
PRM31
10/24/2018 7:45am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2018 7:57am
Thanks for sharing.

I’m 51 and cracked my skull in a few places on one crash and broke another helmet on another crash, in addition to playing football through HS.

If you’re interested in related issues, this book is really worth a read. Very different than what you typically read, but all backed by studies.

https://www.amazon.com/End-Alzheimers-Program-Prevent-Cognitive/dp/0735…

11/4/2018 8:45pm
PRM31 wrote:
Thanks for sharing. I’m 51 and cracked my skull in a few places on one crash and broke another helmet on another crash, in addition to...
Thanks for sharing.

I’m 51 and cracked my skull in a few places on one crash and broke another helmet on another crash, in addition to playing football through HS.

If you’re interested in related issues, this book is really worth a read. Very different than what you typically read, but all backed by studies.

https://www.amazon.com/End-Alzheimers-Program-Prevent-Cognitive/dp/0735…

Thanks! Will definitely check this out.
jbrown15
11/4/2018 9:02pm
Very cool article. My wife is a Health and PE Teacher and she hits this topic very hard and researched to the point that she doesn't...
Very cool article. My wife is a Health and PE Teacher and she hits this topic very hard and researched to the point that she doesn't want our kids to play football.

Luckily the helmet technology is so good now it will be unbelievable in 5 more year.
Honestly it doesn’t matter how good the helmets get, people will still get concussions. The scariest news I’ve now read is that some players in the NFL are suffering CTE withour ever really having ever suffered a concussion. Body blows and just as bad in not worse.

Post a reply to: Interesting write up about MX and Concussions , by Cooksey

The Latest