Is Budds Creek done??

jmx411
Edited Date/Time 8/22/2017 5:24pm
Did we just witness the last National at Budds this past weekend?
|
Yep
8/21/2017 8:37am
Where were the fans, looked empty
jmx411
8/21/2017 8:41am
Yep wrote:
I thought the crowd looked bigger this year than the last few years.
jevyguy
8/21/2017 8:43am
If it is done I don't think the racers will feel too bad about it. From what I heard after the weekend is that it's pretty darn one lined
BobPA
8/21/2017 8:52am
Yep wrote:
That's what I thought too

The Shop

jeffro503
8/21/2017 8:59am
shmacky78 wrote:
What track would they replace it with ?
Well.....in a perfect world....DC / MXsports , would buy Monster Mountain and put that in the schedule. It would be a shame if that track was never given a chance to host a national.
jeffro503
8/21/2017 9:01am
On a side note , I don't remember Budd's being that one lined before. I think a lot of it was because of the rain they had in the previous days. But yeah....that looked like a tough one to pass on.
GregDVT
8/21/2017 9:16am
It seemed pretty packed to me. They were also handing out flyers advertising open practice next month, so it may be wise to plan a trip soon if you want to ride it.
cali11
8/21/2017 9:18am
jeffro503 wrote:
On a side note , I don't remember Budd's being that one lined before. I think a lot of it was because of the rain they...
On a side note , I don't remember Budd's being that one lined before. I think a lot of it was because of the rain they had in the previous days. But yeah....that looked like a tough one to pass on.
I agree, but Tomacs pass on BB4!
shmacky78
8/21/2017 9:21am
jeffro503 wrote:
Well.....in a perfect world....DC / MXsports , would buy Monster Mountain and put that in the schedule. It would be a shame if that track was...
Well.....in a perfect world....DC / MXsports , would buy Monster Mountain and put that in the schedule. It would be a shame if that track was never given a chance to host a national.
That would be sweet ! as long as it's not another "Utah" type track, provided we even have 12 rounds of Nationals in another year or so Sad
Crush
8/21/2017 9:23am
Damn shame if it did go... One of the best racing tracks on the schedule and definitely one of the most interesting to watch.
mb60
8/21/2017 9:38am
The place was awesome and would be a shame to lose the national.
twizzler
8/21/2017 9:43am
Me personally it's my favorite track of the year to watch the racing on TV. Flowing track, uphills, downhills, sweepers, off cambers, wide lines, inside ruts, nice jump combos, etc... It will be a damn shame if it goes.
GangGreen
8/21/2017 9:52am
jeffro503 wrote:
On a side note , I don't remember Budd's being that one lined before. I think a lot of it was because of the rain they...
It rained hard Friday night, but the one lined track is because of TIMED PRACTICE !!!!! Why can't we just go back to early morning qualifiers? The tracks get one-lined because they never put hay bales on the insides. The rider's roll around, and then use the ONE GOOD line for their Burner Lap. Morning qualifying races forced riders to move around as well. It would be nice to know why MX Sports does not want to run 6 morning qualifying races?
YamahaJT1
8/21/2017 9:55am
I was in the "tents only" area Friday evening when it began raining like fury for what seemed two hours. What a blast! Belly-sliding-alcohol-fueled-4wd-mud-slinging mayhem. The field had 3" of standing water.

They did a kick-ass job on the track, all things considered. The attendance seemed a little better this year compared to the last 4-5 years. Podium location was great! We were up the hill about 30' away swillin' brews and enjoying kick-ass racing.

Budds Creek should stay. Has great fan viewing.

ga_pike
8/21/2017 10:36am
GangGreen wrote:
[b]It rained hard Friday night, but the one lined track is because of TIMED PRACTICE !!!!! [/b] Why can't we just go back to early morning...
It rained hard Friday night, but the one lined track is because of TIMED PRACTICE !!!!! Why can't we just go back to early morning qualifiers? The tracks get one-lined because they never put hay bales on the insides. The rider's roll around, and then use the ONE GOOD line for their Burner Lap. Morning qualifying races forced riders to move around as well. It would be nice to know why MX Sports does not want to run 6 morning qualifying races?
Or run the timed practice the day before and then be able to do a complete prep before the motos. I remember when pro practice was Friday, armatures raced Saturday, and pros on Sunday.
JBlain619
8/21/2017 11:06am
IMO, the track has been the same for far too many years. Beasley used to turn it around, add new sections, do different things to make it fresh. That stopped after the Des Nations.

The track was pretty one-lined and no where near as rough as it had been in years past. The off camber section just after the old finish line on top of the hill was literally 1 line. Not a single pass there all day. They moved the barrel too far right and there was no way to use the very outside. Everyone was forced to the inside. I think they prepped in anticipation of the rain so it made more one lined than normal.

As far as turn out, There were definitely more people there last year than this year. I think the rain scared a lot of folks away. I truly hope this wasn't the last one.
philG
8/21/2017 11:13am
I thought the track looked great, not Rut-O-Cross after the rain, smart prep again , same as Unadilla, with regards to the weather.

I think its one of the best tracks on the schedule, loads of history, and some great races.

The schedule for the races is what it is, TV dictates that if we want live coverage, this is how it happens, it wont change any time soon.

Has anyone looked at the trends for attendance since it went to saturday races.
GangGreen
8/21/2017 11:19am
philG wrote:
I thought the track looked great, not Rut-O-Cross after the rain, smart prep again , same as Unadilla, with regards to the weather. I think its...
I thought the track looked great, not Rut-O-Cross after the rain, smart prep again , same as Unadilla, with regards to the weather.

I think its one of the best tracks on the schedule, loads of history, and some great races.

The schedule for the races is what it is, TV dictates that if we want live coverage, this is how it happens, it wont change any time soon.

PhilG stated,"The schedule for the races is what it is, TV dictates that if we want live coverage, this is how it happens, it wont change any time soon."

Morning Qualifying races all occurred before the 1:00pm start time. Motocross is about RACING, not just one fast timed lap. Plus the fans at least get to see their local favorites in a Qualifier AND Last Chance if they don't make the Main Event.
JBlain619
8/21/2017 11:19am
philG wrote:
I thought the track looked great, not Rut-O-Cross after the rain, smart prep again , same as Unadilla, with regards to the weather. I think its...

Several of us were talking about that in the pits after the races Saturday. I would be curious to see the numbers in attendance on Saturdays vs Sundays. It seemed like there were way more spectators at Sunday events.

DC do you have any numbers??
NorCal 50+
8/21/2017 11:24am
The crowd was nonexistent compared with past years! Losing Father's Day just crushed this event, and maybe the switch to Saturday didn't help. It's also two months later in the season and top riders aren't there etc..
Mouse153
8/21/2017 11:29am
I hope not but back in January/February Jonathan B made a strange FB post that this was going to be the last year. I think he plans on continuing to run the track (I better make it to the next open practice just in case) but he clearly stated this was it for a national at Budds. I hope he was just having a moment and that he doesn't mean it.
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
8/21/2017 11:43am
NVA57 wrote:
Would be a shame to see it go. The racing has been good in the past.

Makes me think of this epic battle:
https://youtu.be/K0ZMpEJkWCQ
thats was great 6 minutes well spent. thanks for sharing
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
8/21/2017 1:25pm
NVA57 wrote:
Would be a shame to see it go. The racing has been good in the past.

Makes me think of this epic battle:
https://youtu.be/K0ZMpEJkWCQ
DTR830 wrote:
thats was great 6 minutes well spent. thanks for sharing
Race's was better without big ruts everywhere imo.

450 consequence or a different preparation of the track ?
ruskymx
8/21/2017 1:56pm
I sure hope it's not the last national there. It's one of my favorites! I thought the crowd was good. There were a lot of people packed under the trees staying out of the sun so I think it was deceiving.

I think the track was in great shape for the amount of rain that came through the area. It was more hard packed than it had been in previous years. It reminded me of how the track was in the mid 90's.
Motofinne
8/21/2017 2:09pm
I do have to say that the attendance looked bad, no wonder that the owner has problems.
cousinskeet
8/21/2017 2:09pm
There were alotta people there. We were all huddled under the trees and 17 hospitality tents. It was hot as hell.
8/21/2017 2:11pm
Budds is definitely one of the better layouts for a track. It seems like over the years it got tighter in a lot of sections.

DC
8/21/2017 2:38pm
I thought they had a better crowd than last year, but it was deceiving--the sun was so hot that everyone was under the shade, which meant not next to the race track, which made it look much less crowded than it really was.

DC
Racer X

Post a reply to: Is Budds Creek done??

The Latest