Is Cooper Webb the real threat to Eli?

str8line
Edited Date/Time 6/17/2020 4:47am
Cooper had the measure of Kenny in the first race and I believe that will continue. He rarely makes mistakes and gets good starts more often than Eli. Eli will probably have a terrible start at some point and possibly get caught up in something. CW is down 252 to 220 in the points standings, a big deficit. But could we see a resurgent CW make a comeback?
|
motomike137
6/3/2020 7:05am
I hope so. I don't want to see Eli walk away with this thing without some battles.
davistld01
6/3/2020 7:07am
I'm much more a Roczen fan than I am a Cooper one...but I really think KR's massive injury two years ago still effects him mentally, and perhaps even physically to some extent. Cooper is cocky, sometimes arrogant...but he is young, aggressive & hungry to hold onto the red plate. I think he will begin to have Kenny's number more often than not as the series goes on. And, str8line is right...Eli sucks at starts, at least at being consistent, and Cooper isn't. That might be the chink in Tomac's armor that Cooper can take advantage of.

Then again...I don't know crap.
mx1313
6/3/2020 7:09am
Cooper would have to win all 6 races and Tomac has finish no better than fourth every race just to have a points tie between the two. Cooper would win the championship based on wins...7 to 6. I think....
str8line
6/3/2020 7:12am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2020 7:14am
mx1313 wrote:
Cooper would have to win all 6 races and Tomac has finish no better than fourth every race just to have a points tie between the...
Cooper would have to win all 6 races and Tomac has finish no better than fourth every race just to have a points tie between the two. Cooper would win the championship based on wins...7 to 6. I think....
Well, there goes my theory. Blink Wait a minute, his pants could be his achilles.

The Shop

Question
6/3/2020 7:16am

It could have been WITHOUT the dragon's back crash. But realistically, he is too far points wise.
str8line
6/3/2020 7:30am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2020 7:30am
The whoop section was short, but they were big and Copper wasn't losing time. Maybe he's improved or is his bike better.
aeffertz
6/3/2020 7:43am
Nope, Roczen is Tomac’s only threat as far as the championship goes IMO. Webb is too far back in points.
KX500
6/3/2020 7:48am
To answer the original question, no CW isn't much of a threat to ET. Too far back in points, right now.

Can CW come back & finish in front of ET in some of these races? Absolutely, since ET know he only needs to stay ahead of KR.

Six podiums of CW, ET and KR would work just fine for ET - although I really don't see it playing out that way.

Although I do see CW finishing ahead of KR in most if not all the remaining races - further helping ET to his 1st SX #1 plate.
kpiper
6/3/2020 7:48am
davistld01 wrote:
I'm much more a Roczen fan than I am a Cooper one...but I really think KR's massive injury two years ago still effects him mentally, and...
I'm much more a Roczen fan than I am a Cooper one...but I really think KR's massive injury two years ago still effects him mentally, and perhaps even physically to some extent. Cooper is cocky, sometimes arrogant...but he is young, aggressive & hungry to hold onto the red plate. I think he will begin to have Kenny's number more often than not as the series goes on. And, str8line is right...Eli sucks at starts, at least at being consistent, and Cooper isn't. That might be the chink in Tomac's armor that Cooper can take advantage of.

Cooper will probably win some of these next races.
Eli needs to beat Kenny. CW is not really a concern for him at the moment.
But Eli is clearly still faster than all of them.

Soooo...will Kenny be mentally ok after that near-disaster at the end of the race? Or will it be in his head?
Johnny Depp
6/3/2020 7:49am
mx1313 wrote:
Cooper would have to win all 6 races and Tomac has finish no better than fourth every race just to have a points tie between the...
CW1 only has to dial up his rollerball game to make this thing interesting. No doubt he ain't skeered.
kpiper
6/3/2020 7:51am
And yes, Eli sucks at starts.

His heat race was great...but then he kind of got lucky in the main being able to sneak around the inside. That is not always possible. That could have easily been a 10th place start for him.

I think that Eli actually rides better when he does not get the holeshot. He is a come from behind kind of rider and when he leads from the start he rides tight and makes mistakes.

So maybe his subconscious causes the bad starts? What do you guys think?
nskerb
6/3/2020 7:54am
davistld01 wrote:
I'm much more a Roczen fan than I am a Cooper one...but I really think KR's massive injury two years ago still effects him mentally, and...

I’d agree to a point about coop’s attitude coming across as a little cocky/arrogant. But it’s pretty well earned. Dude had to scrap and run down all of the fastest guys to win his sx title. He was absolutely dominate during his 250 titles. His no-excuse interviews and willingness to give all the credit to god makes him likable to a lot of people.
KX500
6/3/2020 7:54am
kpiper wrote:
And yes, Eli sucks at starts. His heat race was great...but then he kind of got lucky in the main being able to sneak around the...
And yes, Eli sucks at starts.

His heat race was great...but then he kind of got lucky in the main being able to sneak around the inside. That is not always possible. That could have easily been a 10th place start for him.

I think that Eli actually rides better when he does not get the holeshot. He is a come from behind kind of rider and when he leads from the start he rides tight and makes mistakes.

So maybe his subconscious causes the bad starts? What do you guys think?
I've thought the same thing.

You never see Eli 'Beast Mode' when he gets a good start - only when he has to work his way through traffic.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
6/3/2020 7:57am
One bad race by Eli and the tide will swing. 6 more to go boys and a lot upsets are possible.

kpiper
6/3/2020 8:07am
Boomslang wrote:
One bad race by Eli and the tide will swing. 6 more to go boys and a lot upsets are possible.

Adam proves all the time how fast things can totally change! Smile
Motofinne
6/3/2020 8:09am
aeffertz wrote:
Nope, Roczen is Tomac’s only threat as far as the championship goes IMO. Webb is too far back in points.
I'm with you on this. Webb might be able to gather the most points in these last 7 races but he is too far off Tomac, the only way Webb wins the title is if Tomac gets a DNF.
Forty
6/3/2020 8:14am
str8line wrote:
Cooper had the measure of Kenny in the first race and I believe that will continue. He rarely makes mistakes and gets good starts more often...
Cooper had the measure of Kenny in the first race and I believe that will continue. He rarely makes mistakes and gets good starts more often than Eli. Eli will probably have a terrible start at some point and possibly get caught up in something. CW is down 252 to 220 in the points standings, a big deficit. But could we see a resurgent CW make a comeback?
I think he is however the points gap is daunting. Eli will have to toss one away for Cooper to have a chance for the championship.

Maybe Webb can get Eli into a pressure situation and force an error however Eli seems pretty dialed and less flappable than previous years.

I'm a fan of Webb so I'd like to see him take the trophy.
kkawboy14
6/3/2020 8:22am
davistld01 wrote:

I’m a Tomac fan first but have mad respect for Webb and Roczen.

Webb was beat up and hurt also, after his first few years in the 450s he could have curled up in a ball and cried and went home to paint houses or mow yards for a living. The kid reinvented himself on the KTM and well he is in the top 3

Roczen, ‘nough said, he can finish anywhere on any day and he’s gotta be happy, I am!
shuggs
nskerb wrote:
I’d agree to a point about coop’s attitude coming across as a little cocky/arrogant. But it’s pretty well earned. Dude had to scrap and run down...
I’d agree to a point about coop’s attitude coming across as a little cocky/arrogant. But it’s pretty well earned. Dude had to scrap and run down all of the fastest guys to win his sx title. He was absolutely dominate during his 250 titles. His no-excuse interviews and willingness to give all the credit to god makes him likable to a lot of people.
Was never a great fan of CW but this past couple of years he has turned me into one, the way he turned things around to win SX title was impressive.

He is the one that gives no shits so think ET3 has to keep an eye out for him. The way this year has turned out ET3 has to show great maturity as the prize is within touching distance and he will have to settle for not winning at times. All being said we are in for a good finish to season if KR can keep pushing up front.
kpiper
Maybe Cianciarulo is the biggest threat to Eli and helps Kenny catch up.

Tomac seems to have a tougher time passing him than the other two and Adam almost always beats Eli on the start.
kkawboy14
6/3/2020 8:26am
kpiper wrote:
Maybe Cianciarulo is the biggest threat to Eli and helps Kenny catch up. Tomac seems to have a tougher time passing him than the other two...
Maybe Cianciarulo is the biggest threat to Eli and helps Kenny catch up.

Tomac seems to have a tougher time passing him than the other two and Adam almost always beats Eli on the start.
Everyone has a hard time passing AC when his up front going fast
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/3/2020 8:41am
Roczen can potentially benefit from Webb stealing points from ET. He has to beat #3 several times himself, but I'd welcome anybody who puts stress on Eli at this moment, if I were Ken.
6/3/2020 8:44am
It's gonna be Barcia.....

drops the mic.... lol

I'm still pulling for Kenny. I want him to have this title so badly at this point. All the adversity he's been thru.

Webb is awesome...and he is going to be dominant for a long time. However, It will take both Kenny and Eli to not finish a race for Webb to take it. I don't expect to see Webb back off. He's like a pit bull and I love that about him.
DerickYZ
6/3/2020 8:45am
Tomac will choke as usual soon
Press516
Fantasy
90th
6/3/2020 9:13am
Eli is the only real threat to Eli... There's a question mark out there from his past about closing this series out. But, I honestly don't see that (whatever it was) in him this year. I don't think it will be an Eli mistake, if something happens, it will be a mechanical, or something else that closes up the points.

I think Eli will win half of the remaining 6 and be on the podium for all of them.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
6/3/2020 9:17am
Roczen had one of his worst starts of the whole season in the main on Sunday
Had he started like in his heat he could have won the thing. That's how easy things can change.

I wouldn't be surprised if Webb ends up with the most points out of the 3 for these last 7 races, but he's too far out to be called a threat IMO
mx1313
6/3/2020 10:05am
It's actually that good Eli is a poor starter. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't be talking about IF he wins the SX championship at this point. We would be wondering how many points he'll win it by.
6/3/2020 10:26am
I would love to see Eli get a DNF and Webb snag several wins so it comes down to Vegas with single digits points between all three of them.
Zycki11
6/3/2020 10:31am
I would love to see Eli get a DNF and Webb snag several wins so it comes down to Vegas with single digits points between all...
I would love to see Eli get a DNF and Webb snag several wins so it comes down to Vegas with single digits points between all three of them.
Vegas? Lol
6/3/2020 10:33am
I would love to see Eli get a DNF and Webb snag several wins so it comes down to Vegas with single digits points between all...
Agreed. Make it a nail-biter to the bitter end.

Post a reply to: Is Cooper Webb the real threat to Eli?

The Latest