Is husky ever going to branch off of ktm?

logan_140
Are they ever going to branch away and start doing their own thing? I remember when i bought my bike a couple years ago the guy at the dealer said that it would happen slowly.. but it hasent yet. Anyone got any input?
|
Manbearpig
1/3/2018 3:42pm
I was wondering the same thing. Where I live all of the Husky dealers are KTM dealers as well. You would think it would be better to at least branch off and separate from each other that way....
chump6784
1/3/2018 3:43pm
With ktm winning every shootout I'm not sure why they would move away. I think they look different enough and their motor, chassis and suspension get good reviews
peelout
1/3/2018 3:45pm
a friend of mine in the dealer biz told me that it is happening very soon. not much more info than that, unfortunately, and not real helpful. but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.
Sparkey
1/3/2018 3:46pm
Are they basically the same bike? What's the differences? Major or minor stuff?

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/3/2018 3:48pm
It's happening slowly. Different plastics, subframe, airbox, rims, brakes (sometimes), clutch (sometimes)...
1/3/2018 3:54pm
What's in it for them if they do? Glory for one side of the same company and defeat for the other? I could see a special bike or two, but I can't see why they wouldn't want the common models to continue sharing major parts.
TeamGreen
1/3/2018 3:58pm
KTM is more of a Husky than a Husky is a KTM.

You've gotta know the Husaberg story to put it all together...it starts with Cagive buying Husky (motorcycles ONLY) in 1987 and they moved EVERYTHING to Italy.

The folks left behind in Sweden started Husaberg...in 1988...

KTM bought Husaberg in '95. Husaberg AND KTM thumpers were sharing the "Husaberg" motor back then. It all evolves and eventually everything gets moved to Austria...

But, all that KTM "4T" tech has it's roots in Husaberg...&.... Husaberg is Sweden's "Phoenix from the ashes of Husqvarna".
Xeno
1/3/2018 4:22pm
When will Husqvarna enter a factory team in the Baja 1000? They haven't won that race since 1982...
TeamGreen
1/3/2018 4:29pm
Xeno wrote:
When will Husqvarna enter a factory team in the Baja 1000? They haven't won that race since 1982...
Someday...
Xeno
1/3/2018 4:33pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Someday...
I'd take that Rally powerplant and put it in a modified 450 chassis. But that's just me...
1/3/2018 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2018 7:16pm
TeamGreen wrote:
KTM is more of a Husky than a Husky is a KTM. You've gotta know the Husaberg story to put it all together...it starts with Cagive...

You've gotta know the Husaberg story to put it all together...it starts with Cagive buying Husky (motorcycles ONLY) in 1987 and they moved EVERYTHING to Italy.

KTM bought Husaberg in '95. Husaberg AND KTM thumpers were sharing the "Husaberg" motor back then. It all evolves and eventually everything gets moved to Austria...

But, all that KTM "4T" tech has it's roots in Husaberg...&.... Husaberg is Sweden's "Phoenix from the ashes of Husqvarna".
So what you're saying is that today's Husqvarna is inbred?
logan_140
1/3/2018 4:46pm
seth505 wrote:
It's happening slowly. Different plastics, subframe, airbox, rims, brakes (sometimes), clutch (sometimes)...
I have noticed that, i wonder if that’s what they’ll do and just keep the motor,susp,and chassi
Paul333
1/3/2018 4:47pm
I figure over time the Husky's will become more distinctive & different but I seriously doubt core items like; frames engines, and suspension will be different. They both roll off the same factory, the same owner also owns WP who supplies the frames, exhaust, suspension, etc.

It's just good business to tag into KTM's success & engineering.
kiwifan
1/3/2018 5:07pm
chump6784 wrote:
With ktm winning every shootout I'm not sure why they would move away. I think they look different enough and their motor, chassis and suspension get...
With ktm winning every shootout I'm not sure why they would move away. I think they look different enough and their motor, chassis and suspension get good reviews
Slight correction ...they did not win every shootout in 2018 or even 2017 Smile
FARANG
1/3/2018 5:17pm
Keep the core the same but have subtle changes that offer a subtly more aggressive or relaxed riding experience.

2 sides of the same coin, no point developing 2 different motors or chassis when you could focus all your attention on making one model great.

Change bars, suspension, mapping etc.
chump6784
1/3/2018 5:28pm
chump6784 wrote:
With ktm winning every shootout I'm not sure why they would move away. I think they look different enough and their motor, chassis and suspension get...
kiwifan wrote:
Slight correction ...they did not win every shootout in 2018 or even 2017 Smile
Sorry, should have said most shootouts
1/3/2018 6:16pm
Manbearpig wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. Where I live all of the Husky dealers are KTM dealers as well. You would think it would be better...
I was wondering the same thing. Where I live all of the Husky dealers are KTM dealers as well. You would think it would be better to at least branch off and separate from each other that way....
The scenario where I live is the complete opposite. All KTM dealers are separate from the Husky dealers...For some reason I was under the impression that KTM was not allowing any dealers to sell both brands unless they were doing so prior to KTM's acquisition of Husqvarna. If true, it seems like the most direct way that they have intentionally tried to differentiate between the two brands to this point.
yota
1/3/2018 6:49pm
when KTM's partner in India takes control of KTM.
swtwtwtw
1/3/2018 8:26pm
Manbearpig wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. Where I live all of the Husky dealers are KTM dealers as well. You would think it would be better...
The scenario where I live is the complete opposite. All KTM dealers are separate from the Husky dealers...For some reason I was under the impression that...
The scenario where I live is the complete opposite. All KTM dealers are separate from the Husky dealers...For some reason I was under the impression that KTM was not allowing any dealers to sell both brands unless they were doing so prior to KTM's acquisition of Husqvarna. If true, it seems like the most direct way that they have intentionally tried to differentiate between the two brands to this point.
Yeah, KTM and Husqvarna dealer buy ins are independent of each other in my area too
BAMX
1/3/2018 8:32pm
seth505 wrote:
They also offer a number of the different models in different chassis. For example, the dual sport KTM's have a PDS chassis and the Huskys come with a linkage chassis.
drt410
1/3/2018 8:37pm
It was reported when the sale happened that Husqvarna was going to be the premium bike that is more expensive and KTM will be the money maker that gets the bulk of sales. They were supposed to test things on the Huskys that would later make it to KTM bikes. Its happening soon youll see them start to do their own thing but the price will reflect. Its going to be like the Audi to Volkswagen. Expect in the next few years Huskys will start having the newest tech and taking a pretty drastic different direction with the things that work trickling down to ktm. Thats what they had said at least.
1/3/2018 8:47pm
I'd say not unless the the bastard child gets sold on again. Would be a good buy in for any massive company trying to break into the dirt business. Like maybe Baj? Here's your company, brand, dealerships, customer base, motorcycle baseline and starting point. We own KTM, you own Husky. Thanks for goodtimes. See you later.
eeazye
1/3/2018 8:48pm
TeamGreen wrote:
KTM is more of a Husky than a Husky is a KTM. You've gotta know the Husaberg story to put it all together...it starts with Cagive...

Love my 70 degree Berg. Loved my 03 racing four stroke EXC 450 too. Some good designs came from that small company working with a shoe string budget.

I remember when KTM released the RFS engines and it was clearly a slightly tweaked Husaberg engine. I read that KTM did the math and figured they would spend about a fifth of what it would take to develop a four stroke engine from scratch vs buying Husaberg as a whole who already had a viable four stroke.
kiwifan
1/3/2018 8:53pm
I'd say not unless the the bastard child gets sold on again. Would be a good buy in for any massive company trying to break into...
I'd say not unless the the bastard child gets sold on again. Would be a good buy in for any massive company trying to break into the dirt business. Like maybe Baj? Here's your company, brand, dealerships, customer base, motorcycle baseline and starting point. We own KTM, you own Husky. Thanks for goodtimes. See you later.
I actually think to fund KTM's GP race programme and their R&D they may well sell the Husky brand
1/3/2018 8:54pm
TeamGreen wrote:

First job back at a Husa dealer in 98. "Here's an FE600 engine in bits in a box. Here's the new warranty replacement main bearings to replace the Taiwanese ball bearing (not the German roller on the other side) that has lost some chrome off the races. Here's a manual. Good luck!" Everything is on the wrong side?? WTF ??!!?? Did quite a few. Good times

All the plastics had KTM stampings back then even.
1/3/2018 9:25pm
I dont think KTM is using husaberg tech. They bought husaberg to shitcan the brand so no one else can sell them. Everyone copied Yamahas tech
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/3/2018 9:45pm
seth505 wrote:
BAMX wrote:
They also offer a number of the different models in different chassis. For example, the dual sport KTM's have a PDS chassis and the Huskys come...
They also offer a number of the different models in different chassis. For example, the dual sport KTM's have a PDS chassis and the Huskys come with a linkage chassis.
Ya, good point. I just got an EXC-F and considered going with the Husky instead because it had linkage.
1/3/2018 10:14pm
kiwifan wrote:
I actually think to fund KTM's GP race programme and their R&D they may well sell the Husky brand
I sure hope not. I love the Husky brand as it is. Always wanted a KTM. Couldn’t handle the color.
1/3/2018 10:18pm
drt410 wrote:
It was reported when the sale happened that Husqvarna was going to be the premium bike that is more expensive and KTM will be the money...
It was reported when the sale happened that Husqvarna was going to be the premium bike that is more expensive and KTM will be the money maker that gets the bulk of sales. They were supposed to test things on the Huskys that would later make it to KTM bikes. Its happening soon youll see them start to do their own thing but the price will reflect. Its going to be like the Audi to Volkswagen. Expect in the next few years Huskys will start having the newest tech and taking a pretty drastic different direction with the things that work trickling down to ktm. Thats what they had said at least.
That was the line of BS we were given. Largely because I dont think they ever thought the “white KTMs” were gonna be mass sellers. So creating a premium brand (think Acura is to Honda) would allow them to sell the bikes at a premium.

It seems to me they pivoted on that strategy. Their dealer network has grown fast and it’s not like the Husky’s come w/ Cone Valves or FE tech.

Im happy either way. I fucking love my Husky.
Ray_MXS
1/3/2018 10:24pm
I dont think KTM is using husaberg tech. They bought husaberg to shitcan the brand so no one else can sell them. Everyone copied Yamahas tech
Well you can THINK that all you want but that's just not how it is.

Post a reply to: Is husky ever going to branch off of ktm?

The Latest