Is the Leatt fad now over ?

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2016 11:49am
I recall seeing only one neck brace the last two weeks,am I just not noticing them or is the fad pretty much over.I saw Barcia had one.

edit: just went back and looked at several pics and there are several but they look smaller and they blend in with the riders gear more, saw Anderson had one also.
|
jemcee
1/18/2016 12:05am
haha ya bastard I went to the trouble of looking through my saved pics to show riders still using them
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
1/18/2016 12:06am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2016 12:07am
What kind is Carnard wearing ? its looks small compared to some of the others
jemcee
1/18/2016 12:07am
I think he's a long time Leatt wearer, could be wrong though

The Shop

chuckdavies
1/18/2016 12:59am
lostboy819 wrote:
Leatt 6.5 carbon...hes been Leatt for years! I'd say the fad is far from over, it's saved my neck a couple of times i know that!
Tom711
1/18/2016 1:09am
lostboy819 wrote:
Leatt 6.5 carbon...hes been Leatt for years! I'd say the fad is far from over, it's saved my neck a couple of times i know that!
I'm interested in how you know it's saved your neck a couple of times?
Especially seen as though medical professionals can't prove there is any benefit to wearing one.
1/18/2016 1:23am
I think at Pro level maybe but at club level I still see a good percentage wearing a neck brace.

For the record I wear a Leatt 5.5
Crush
1/18/2016 1:35am
You guys should check out the Atlas brace... I know we're all starve for testing but there are some things in the design that make more sense to me...

I'd still like to see some more rubber or cover on the front bar, it's a bit scary for teeth!
1/18/2016 3:20am
Except you don't know that for sure. But if it makes you feel better about wearing it, that's good.

There definitely was a fad phase. Full gates of amatuers with them on. I bought one at one time. Thankfully I was in college and didn't ride much.
1/18/2016 3:40am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2016 3:46am
early neck braces left broken collar bones everywhere , especially in the event of a slow tip over and have all around caused more damage than necks saved , fear mongering is what has kept leatt and companies like it alive while using the mass consumer for R&D!
1/18/2016 3:48am
Crush wrote:
You guys should check out the Atlas brace... I know we're all starve for testing but there are some things in the design that make more...
You guys should check out the Atlas brace... I know we're all starve for testing but there are some things in the design that make more sense to me...

I'd still like to see some more rubber or cover on the front bar, it's a bit scary for teeth!
ive got the old one and I really like it. Can't feel it while riding at all.
Crush
1/18/2016 4:42am
Crush wrote:
You guys should check out the Atlas brace... I know we're all starve for testing but there are some things in the design that make more...

I think i've got the 2nd version? There is a newer one I know that.

I like that the pressure is put onto your shoulders rather than spine, that it comes apart and flexes... Like I say, the front scares me a little.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
1/18/2016 4:58am
Crush wrote:

Crush wrote:
I think i've got the 2nd version? There is a newer one I know that. I like that the pressure is put onto your shoulders rather...

I like that the pressure is put onto your shoulders rather than spine, that it comes apart and flexes... Like I say, the front scares me a little.
My son wore the 13 model atlas. During one of his wrecks that cracked a 6D the left side strap loop broke. I feel like that indicated a hard hit. No injury though, thank The Lord.
Got the 14 version and I haven't made him wear it, he bitches the entire time about how uncomfortable it is. Everytime he rides it crosses my mind. Maybe some of the opinions here help decide to push it or not... Safety is my main concern. I told him when he is 18 he wear what he wants, until then I have to make the right decision......
gt80rider
1/18/2016 4:59am
Tom711 wrote:
I'm interested in how you know it's saved your neck a couple of times? Especially seen as though medical professionals can't prove there is any benefit...
Especially seen as though medical professionals can't prove there is any benefit to wearing one.
He will post that right after you post your data that shows it doesn't work... Let all that data posting begin!
IWreckALot
1/18/2016 5:11am
I just use a neck pillow. The poor man's leatt.
chuckdavies
1/18/2016 5:12am
Tom711 wrote:
I'm interested in how you know it's saved your neck a couple of times? Especially seen as though medical professionals can't prove there is any benefit...
gt80rider wrote:
He will post that right after you post your data that shows it doesn't work... Let all that data posting begin!
Correct!

I can't technically prove it's saved my neck, but first round of the nationals last year I cased a big step down in the last race, straight over the bars and landed further down the hill on my head with the bike following me in. Broken T3, T4 and T5 vertebra. Whilst you'll say it's the neck brace that caused broken back etc etc, i'm certain that without it, the neck would have taken the full force and I probably wouldn't be back racing like I am today...
mx317
1/18/2016 5:17am
Crush wrote:

Crush wrote:
I think i've got the 2nd version? There is a newer one I know that. I like that the pressure is put onto your shoulders rather...

Atlas for me also
skubasam
1/18/2016 6:20am
Crush wrote:

Agreed it's a little to close to the chin/jaw area. I've had the old carbon atlas and now the new base model and the old one wasn't as close. The new one is more comfortable though as it flexes a lot more.
1/18/2016 6:38am
They should be required on kids under 6 years of age. Kids can barely hold their heads up and their cervical spine isn't fully formed so it can snap like a twig. I won't ride without one. I would take a broken collarbone over a broken neck any day of the week.

For those of you with short attention spans, skip to 1:30, 9:00, 9:28, 10:17 for some demonstrations in this video. I don't see how you can argue against it. It prevents your neck from moving as far as it would otherwise.

https://youtu.be/_JxXqKe8is0
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
1/18/2016 6:55am
They are still alive and kicking in the amateur/weekend warrior level....where parents are trying their best to protect their children. Some adults are too ignorant to take any precaution they can to save their ass
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
1/18/2016 7:07am
They should be required on kids under 6 years of age. Kids can barely hold their heads up and their cervical spine isn't fully formed so...
They should be required on kids under 6 years of age. Kids can barely hold their heads up and their cervical spine isn't fully formed so it can snap like a twig. I won't ride without one. I would take a broken collarbone over a broken neck any day of the week.

For those of you with short attention spans, skip to 1:30, 9:00, 9:28, 10:17 for some demonstrations in this video. I don't see how you can argue against it. It prevents your neck from moving as far as it would otherwise.

https://youtu.be/_JxXqKe8is0
LOL, don't bring your testing/lab results into the Vitard arena. They will destroy you with their vast knowledge of nothing.
CG118
1/18/2016 7:18am
That pendulum test made me cringe. Can you imagine the tensile forces placed on the cevival spine WITH the brace?. That's the type of thing that worries me.

I still wear my original Leatt.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
1/18/2016 7:35am
For the people here that don't believe in the neck brace,
Do you believe that they cause more harm than good?
Do you just believe that they don't do ANY good what so ever?
I think that there may be circumstances that damage may happen due to the
neck brace, but I also believe that in more cases they prevent more critical damage.
I think it's like the knee brace argument where folks say that in a bad tumble
the brace will cause a femur break that could be life threatening vs ruined
knee.
c_dub
1/18/2016 7:36am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2016 7:38am
Tom711 wrote:
gt80rider wrote:
Tom711 was merely stating that what chuckdavies said was anecdotal.

And the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. So chuckdavies would have to offer up evidence (that is not anecdotal) to prove "it's saved my neck neck a couple of times". Likewise Tom711 would have to offer up evidence that "medical professionals can't prove there is any benefit to wearing one".

I take no sides with regards to neck braces. To each their own.
yeroc281
1/18/2016 7:59am
Aahhhh... Another neck brace debate... Now where's my popcorn?
1/18/2016 8:04am
ToolMaker wrote:
For the people here that don't believe in the neck brace, Do you believe that they cause more harm than good? Do you just believe that...
neck brace, but I also believe that in more cases they prevent more critical damage.
knee.
I owned one of the very first leatt braces and I wore it for a few years. I sold it and do not own any neckbrace now. The only one I would consider wearing is the atlas brace. It has lots of flex but still does the job its designed to do. My opinion is that the faster you are going, the bigger risk a neck brace becomes to the rider. Neck braces are definantly a good thing for slower riders and younger kids. But at a certain speed I feel its riskier to wear one than to not. Obviously a lot of factors come into play when crashing. Even though im not on the neck brace train I still would never tell a rider to not wear one. Unless someone can prove ,with facts and tests, that they are harmful then the rider should wear as much gear as needed to feel somewhat safe.
Tom711
1/18/2016 8:34am
Tom711 wrote:
gt80rider wrote:
I have no proof and I'm pretty sure chuckdavies hasn't either. If people feel safer wearing a neck brace then fair enough, buts it's impossible to know whether or not the neck brace did save his neck.
I'm not anti neck brace by the way, I don't wear one because I've got plates and screws on both collarbones and having anything pressing on the area is uncomfortable. If it was proven that wearing one reduced risk of injury I'd without doubt wear one.
my son is 8 and rides he wears a Leatt 5.5, I've no idea if it protects him at all but he's my son, I would have him ride around in a ball of cotton wool if I could.
hvaughn88
1/18/2016 8:38am
ToolMaker wrote:
For the people here that don't believe in the neck brace, Do you believe that they cause more harm than good? Do you just believe that...
knee.
Jbrandmx85 wrote:
I owned one of the very first leatt braces and I wore it for a few years. I sold it and do not own any neckbrace...
I owned one of the very first leatt braces and I wore it for a few years. I sold it and do not own any neckbrace now. The only one I would consider wearing is the atlas brace. It has lots of flex but still does the job its designed to do. My opinion is that the faster you are going, the bigger risk a neck brace becomes to the rider. Neck braces are definantly a good thing for slower riders and younger kids. But at a certain speed I feel its riskier to wear one than to not. Obviously a lot of factors come into play when crashing. Even though im not on the neck brace train I still would never tell a rider to not wear one. Unless someone can prove ,with facts and tests, that they are harmful then the rider should wear as much gear as needed to feel somewhat safe.
I like your response. That's pretty level-headed and makes sense.
CG118
1/18/2016 8:45am
Serious question for Jbrand.

Why do you feel the neck brace poses a bigger threat at faster speeds, vs lower speeds?
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
1/18/2016 8:47am
Ive been wearing Leatt since 2008. I know its saved me more than once. Caught a square edge on a sandy descent, flew over the bars and landed on my head from 10 feet up, no neck damage, she was a little sore the next day though. Second time was the bad one, t boned on a start and flew 15 feet in perfect JS7 lawn dart form. drove my head into the ground and compression fractured my T5, T6, and T7. I'm an inch shorter than I was, but I'm still walking. I'm a believer

Post a reply to: Is the Leatt fad now over ?

The Latest