Is the Leatt fad now over ?

Twist1
1/19/2016 5:20pm
When I watch SX and see riders bare skin neck exposed with a flimsy jersey below, it makes me cringe. Pegs, chains,sprockets, levers, handlebars, tuffblocks, Boats, ATV's, all kinds of shit that could rip your flesh.

The tumbles these guys take, like Roczen at A1, no chest protetion, landing on his back off the track on the hard pack. Can't imagine not wanting protection. So many great products that look good or not even noticable.

But hey, they look cool. How often do they get hurt?...
cslacker
1/19/2016 5:40pm
Facts: 1) Necks have been broken while wearing neck braces. In particular, Leatt neck braces. 2) They have never been scientifically tested, even though there's nothing...
Facts:
1) Necks have been broken while wearing neck braces. In particular, Leatt neck braces.
2) They have never been scientifically tested, even though there's nothing preventing the manufacturers from conducting tests on cadavers.
3) Plenty of people survived traumatic accidents prior to neck braces coming on the market.

Neck braces are a theory that have never been tested and people are still breaking their necks while wearing them. In other words, they are snake oil.
People have still died wearing seat belts, are those snake oil, too?

People have still died wearing helmets, are those snake oil, too?
According to that logic every product out there must do exactly what it claims to do with no negatives so we shouldn't question anything. The fact is that many people have very reasonable concerns that these braces might do quite a bit of harm in the wrong situation. Look at atlas's responses for instance. They have a design much different than leatt and give very reasonable reasons as to why. They just mentioned the back wing of the leatt can act as a shovel in a wreck. That sounds pretty bad to me. They have also admitted their original model had some flaws with the inner front edge being sharp and too hard and so they changed their design ( too late for me as it knocked 4 teeth out on a simple dunes jump case). They have also widened it to try to prevent the side of the helmet rolling over and creating a fulcrum effect. I do appreciate their efforts and especially their willingness to come on here and answer questions. I personally believe in questioning things if you feel there is a possibility something could cause as much harm as good. Then again that's just my opinion.
1/19/2016 5:42pm
Twist1 wrote:
When I watch SX and see riders bare skin neck exposed with a flimsy jersey below, it makes me cringe. Pegs, chains,sprockets, levers, handlebars, tuffblocks, Boats...
When I watch SX and see riders bare skin neck exposed with a flimsy jersey below, it makes me cringe. Pegs, chains,sprockets, levers, handlebars, tuffblocks, Boats, ATV's, all kinds of shit that could rip your flesh.

The tumbles these guys take, like Roczen at A1, no chest protetion, landing on his back off the track on the hard pack. Can't imagine not wanting protection. So many great products that look good or not even noticable.

But hey, they look cool. How often do they get hurt?...
Funny you use Roczen as an example, he's one of the few guys who actually wears a good chest protector.
Underdog999
1/20/2016 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2016 4:46pm
Facts: 1) Necks have been broken while wearing neck braces. In particular, Leatt neck braces. 2) They have never been scientifically tested, even though there's nothing...
Facts:
1) Necks have been broken while wearing neck braces. In particular, Leatt neck braces.
2) They have never been scientifically tested, even though there's nothing preventing the manufacturers from conducting tests on cadavers.
3) Plenty of people survived traumatic accidents prior to neck braces coming on the market.

Neck braces are a theory that have never been tested and people are still breaking their necks while wearing them. In other words, they are snake oil.
People have still died wearing seat belts, are those snake oil, too?

People have still died wearing helmets, are those snake oil, too?
cslacker wrote:
According to that logic every product out there must do exactly what it claims to do with no negatives so we shouldn't question anything. The fact...
According to that logic every product out there must do exactly what it claims to do with no negatives so we shouldn't question anything. The fact is that many people have very reasonable concerns that these braces might do quite a bit of harm in the wrong situation. Look at atlas's responses for instance. They have a design much different than leatt and give very reasonable reasons as to why. They just mentioned the back wing of the leatt can act as a shovel in a wreck. That sounds pretty bad to me. They have also admitted their original model had some flaws with the inner front edge being sharp and too hard and so they changed their design ( too late for me as it knocked 4 teeth out on a simple dunes jump case). They have also widened it to try to prevent the side of the helmet rolling over and creating a fulcrum effect. I do appreciate their efforts and especially their willingness to come on here and answer questions. I personally believe in questioning things if you feel there is a possibility something could cause as much harm as good. Then again that's just my opinion.
cslacker: I agree with you about continuing to make a good thing better. They are always upgrading helmets and seatbelts, too.

The Shop

1/20/2016 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2016 4:22pm
I mean all leatt used to harp about was their in-house testing. And it doesn't help to sell me a product when Dr leatt doesn't have the best track record for ethics. In house testing by itself doesn't mean shit to me. You still run a company. You don't want to market your flaws. Thats not good for sales. But I don't want to buy from that type of company.

Atlas and third party testing is a SERIOUS step in the right direction for informed consumers that care about their necks.

1/20/2016 4:29pm

"Moral of the story: Limiting the compression is a good thing, and without a brace, there is no limit"

How do you know if the brace is not causing more compression in specific impacts?
CASH476
1/20/2016 4:46pm
I mean all leatt used to harp about was their in-house testing. And it doesn't help to sell me a product when Dr leatt doesn't have...
I mean all leatt used to harp about was their in-house testing. And it doesn't help to sell me a product when Dr leatt doesn't have the best track record for ethics. In house testing by itself doesn't mean shit to me. You still run a company. You don't want to market your flaws. Thats not good for sales. But I don't want to buy from that type of company.

Atlas and third party testing is a SERIOUS step in the right direction for informed consumers that care about their necks.

Leatt prototype tests were developed by and performed at BMW Motorad facilities according to the original marketing.
1/20/2016 6:10pm
[quote] "Moral of the story: Limiting the compression is a good thing, and without a brace, there is no limit"[/quote] How do you know if the...

"Moral of the story: Limiting the compression is a good thing, and without a brace, there is no limit"

How do you know if the brace is not causing more compression in specific impacts?
Because that is one of the main reasons a neck brace exists, to limit the compression by adding something between the helmet and the body (shoulders) to prevent your neck from compressing too far.

If you aren't wearing a brace, your helmet will go all the way down to your shoulders (and into your body) with nothing to stop it, other than your own body. This also leaves your collarbone open to impacts from the sharp bottom ridge of the helmet.
rubarb
1/20/2016 6:48pm
Good question for Doctor Mark Russell
hillbilly
1/22/2016 11:49am
hillbilly wrote:
If that is near normal clearance as you said in riding position it would almost be touching then what happens when you dont crash in the...
If that is near normal clearance as you said in riding position it would almost be touching then what happens when you dont crash in the riding position?

I broke my neck going straight in ,falling over the front of the bike flying w style. I hung on,head down by the wheel,till the bike was going so slow it was wobbling. I hit like a javelin and broke it.

The helmet would need to be resting on the brace nearly in the standing position just like that picture for it to help it seems to me.

And, i get it,riders fear this injury more than any other and want something that gives a feeling of safety,. If it does that for you then wear it.

I wear kneebraces but know that it may break my femur to save my knee,its about the same kinda thing.
mx317 wrote:
Dave that describes a crash I had about 3 years ago perfect. Straight down the fork tube with legs over my head. I was wearing an...
Dave that describes a crash I had about 3 years ago perfect. Straight down the fork tube with legs over my head. I was wearing an A-Star brace (now Atlas) then and even though I was knocked out and nearly bit my tongue through and through, I walked away. My shoulders and chest were bruised from the brace and my helmet (Arai) was toast, but I say again, I walked away. Did the brace save me from being hurt worse? I can't say for sure, but I think it did.
5 yrs Iater i crashed at MC just about the same way ,3 times as fast though,when I tipped up and saw how it was going to happen I thought about the other time and figured I'd be done. It knocked me out for a bit and really scrambled my mind.

But neck wasn't even sore ,but ,thought my hip broke for sure but it wasn't,escaped ony bruised and big concussion.

Not sure what it proves for me,just thst most of the time I walked away.

Post a reply to: Is the Leatt fad now over ?

The Latest