Is the Tokyo supercross still going?

7/21/2017 1:14pm
Looking through the Damon Bradshaw picture thread and when I saw that awesome shot of him going over the jump, one footed, roost flying, it got me thinking about the Supercross races they used to have in Japan, 2 I think. It was a massive event and most of the top American riders used to go. I also remember one of the Japanese riders was a real showman & he used to whip it all the time to the crowd.

Do these races still happen & if they don't, why not?
|
Xsenter
7/21/2017 2:14pm
The last one I can remember was in the late 90's.

After that something happened and supercross in Japan seemed to stop. I you think about it you never see any kind of supercross in Japan these days. Not even on national level.

It's really strange because you would think the country that produces the bikes should at least test bikes on national sx level.

Maybe sx got banned ? I don't know...just a thought. To many injurys ?

In Sweden Sx got pretty much banned from mid 90's to middle 2000 because of too many injurys.
Gukamonster
7/21/2017 2:54pm
My guess would be the money related to the event dried up or something changed financially. Back in the late 80s, early 90s "Japan Inc." was considered the envy of the world. Japanese corporations were buying up global real estate everywhere. A lot of money was probably being thrown around.

I don't think it's a coincidence that they glory years of the Tokyo supercross were around the peak on those charts.

I'll wait for the inevitable "lolz u thnik ur n economist r sumthin" comment.

Post a reply to: Is the Tokyo supercross still going?

The Latest