Is this an issue in your area?

pkiczuk
Edited Date/Time 9/13/2018 2:27pm
I know everyone has seen videos of these "ruff ryders" type groups riding their crotch rockets, dirt bikes, and quads in the streets, dozens at a time. Recently, its been getting worse in our area. In a lot of towns here, the cops aren't aloud to chase them because they're afraid of one of them crashing and getting killed and liability blah blah blah. I have several issues with this,
1)these guys block traffic at intersections and such, for minutes at atime just doing donuts and wheelies, and whatever it may be. They circle around cars and definitely make people feel uncomfortable and unsafe.
2) they weave in and out of traffic with no regard to anyone else on the road, and expect the drivers to be able stop on a dime when they fuck up. and
3) I feel like they give us, the responsible dirt bike and street bike riders a bad rep within the community. people start to associate anyone on a bike with this type of behavior, and its evident by the amount of stories I hear of people being cut off by cars and finding out its intentional.
Luckily in a town near me, they've started to confiscate any dirtbike or quad they see riding on the road. The owner can NOT get it back, and they get a $1000 fine. They started this a few months ago and it seems to actually be working. I wish this would be implemented everywhere. So is this an issue any of you guys deal with in your areas?

heres a link to a recent news story that prompted me to post this.
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-haven/dozens-of-motorcycle-di…
|
DoubleA
9/11/2018 4:24am
So now if you have a road legal motocross bike or quad you get an instant fine of $1000 if your on the road or do you have to be riding like a dickhead?

Also if the cops are "afraid of one of them crashing and getting killed and liability" how can they stop them and seize the bike? seems more of a scare tactic rather than stopping the problem.
kb228
9/11/2018 4:31am
I think idiots live everywhere. Some towns seem to have the misfortune of them actually meeting each other.
pkiczuk
9/11/2018 4:34am
The law is strictly for non street legal bikes and quads (which no quads are street legal in ct). You get a fine if you're riding a regular dirtbike or quad on the street. Around here, the majority of people riding these on the roads ARE riding them like dick heads. Its a bunch of wanna be thugs and gangstas who think they are cool. Like I said, its in a lot of the towns they cant chase, but in others they can. The town near me where they just implemented the impound and fine law, they can chase them. In towns like the one in the story, which is way worse, they can not chase them. I know it's confusing lol, this state is retarded,
Bultaco
9/11/2018 4:49am
I was downtown Boston on Saturday. The same thing you describe was going on, except all the "boyz" were on bicycles. It was still a gang of wheelie-boyz disrupting stuff, but it was quieter.

The Shop

walleyeguy
9/11/2018 4:58am
Can't wait to hear about a bunch of Alta's doing this. That would actually be fun to watch.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
9/11/2018 5:07am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2018 5:09am
Not a cool situation. It’s a shame some of these guys act like this, but in all fairness they’re not hurting anyone. They’re wasting other people’s time and giving them a sense of insecurity.

I usually try to decide whether or not something someone else is doing will hurt other people physically before I let it upset me. In this case it’s very unlikely. Something like 60% of teenagers texting and driving certainly will though, so I guess it’s all perspective.
9/11/2018 5:27am
DoubleA wrote:
So now if you have a road legal motocross bike or quad you get an instant fine of $1000 if your on the road or do...
So now if you have a road legal motocross bike or quad you get an instant fine of $1000 if your on the road or do you have to be riding like a dickhead?

Also if the cops are "afraid of one of them crashing and getting killed and liability" how can they stop them and seize the bike? seems more of a scare tactic rather than stopping the problem.
There are no “road legal” motocross bikes or quads.
APLMAN99
9/11/2018 5:50am
DoubleA wrote:
So now if you have a road legal motocross bike or quad you get an instant fine of $1000 if your on the road or do...

Yes, there are. Many states have relaxed their licensing requirements and don’t strictly go by the stated usage on the bike’s MSO anymore. Here in Washington, you can license just about anything as long as it meets the (very) minimum requirements. ATVs are generally limited to 40MPH or lower roads, though, as long as they are plated.
Kyle_McNab
9/11/2018 6:06am
Yup we got them in Baltimore bunch of clowns . Wish cops could take em out
slipdog
9/11/2018 6:19am
I've never seen or heard of it except at Vital.
9/11/2018 6:42am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2018 6:43am
Cleveland is flooded with these shit bags. And Atlanta. And Miami. Most bikes are stolen so confiscation and fines won’t deter it.

This has been going on hard for about 5 years I’d say.
pkiczuk
9/11/2018 7:13am
Cleveland is flooded with these shit bags. And Atlanta. And Miami. Most bikes are stolen so confiscation and fines won’t deter it. This has been going...
Cleveland is flooded with these shit bags. And Atlanta. And Miami. Most bikes are stolen so confiscation and fines won’t deter it.

This has been going on hard for about 5 years I’d say.
yeah I will agree about the stolen bikes. Theft is rampant around here, and most of these guys are definitely on stolen property.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
9/11/2018 7:29am
I’ve never seen a dirt bike or quad on the roads n our area (San Diego county) . Once in awhile I will come across a group of sport bikes doing wheelies on the freeway but that is a very rare occasion. The cops let you ride pretty aggressively on the highways around here, I rarely see bikes pulled over
lumpy790
9/11/2018 8:30am
Masses do things a single would not do.

I have seen white Harley riders do it.
9/11/2018 8:46am
lumpy790 wrote:

You've seen large groups of white Harley riders on unlicensed motorcycles blocking traffic and doing wheelies down public roads? That's a new one.

ns503
9/11/2018 8:47am
Not a cool situation. It’s a shame some of these guys act like this, but in all fairness they’re not hurting anyone. They’re wasting other people’s...
Not a cool situation. It’s a shame some of these guys act like this, but in all fairness they’re not hurting anyone. They’re wasting other people’s time and giving them a sense of insecurity.

I usually try to decide whether or not something someone else is doing will hurt other people physically before I let it upset me. In this case it’s very unlikely. Something like 60% of teenagers texting and driving certainly will though, so I guess it’s all perspective.
So thieving is OK if nobody gets hurt?
Doddy
9/11/2018 9:23am
DoubleA wrote:

We have street legal 2 strokes in this state.....there are definitely MX bikes on the street here.
pkiczuk
9/11/2018 9:24am
lumpy790 wrote:

seen that too, but its extremely rare compared to these "wheelie boyz". I would say 99% of the bike clubs (gangs if you would rather call them that) are generally very respectful of other people on the road, and actually do a lot of good. They're very rarely a nuisance.
kage173
9/11/2018 9:40am
The best way to deal with these guys is to chill out and let them have their fun. You sound like the crochety old farmer with the land next to the track complaining that the noise is bothering his cows.

You're just projecting your boring life onto other people. Go back to your HOA and worry about your neighbor's grass height and overgrown bushes.
9/11/2018 9:49am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Yes, there are. Many states have relaxed their licensing requirements and don’t strictly go by the stated usage on the bike’s MSO anymore. Here in Washington...
Yes, there are. Many states have relaxed their licensing requirements and don’t strictly go by the stated usage on the bike’s MSO anymore. Here in Washington, you can license just about anything as long as it meets the (very) minimum requirements. ATVs are generally limited to 40MPH or lower roads, though, as long as they are plated.
So, in Washington, I can legally ride a KX450 on the road?
Rhody
9/11/2018 9:49am
kage173 wrote:
The best way to deal with these guys is to chill out and let them have their fun. You sound like the crochety old farmer with...
The best way to deal with these guys is to chill out and let them have their fun. You sound like the crochety old farmer with the land next to the track complaining that the noise is bothering his cows.

You're just projecting your boring life onto other people. Go back to your HOA and worry about your neighbor's grass height and overgrown bushes.
Spoken like someone who has never been on the road with these guys. See how feel when you are trying to get home from work and they decide that they are going to shut the street down, and you are stuck in your truck thinking "this guy is going to wad his shit up straight through my windshield". No you don't feel safe and it does have an impact on your life.
9/11/2018 9:58am
DoubleA wrote:

Do you really think theyre gonna stop for a cop?
9/11/2018 10:00am
lumpy790 wrote:

pkiczuk wrote:
seen that too, but its extremely rare compared to these "wheelie boyz". I would say 99% of the bike clubs (gangs if you would rather call...
seen that too, but its extremely rare compared to these "wheelie boyz". I would say 99% of the bike clubs (gangs if you would rather call them that) are generally very respectful of other people on the road, and actually do a lot of good. They're very rarely a nuisance.
And most of the time they’ve paid for their bikes
byke
9/11/2018 10:03am
On number 3), I wouldn't bother feeling any association and thus the bad name. Think of it this way; if shitty people could give others a bad name for every shared *thing* between them/us, there'd be nothing left to enjoy without taking the "bad name" with it. You couldn't even enjoy sitting on the couch watching tv, because there's someone out there doing that very thing in a douchebag manner. What kills me though, is how those guys think it's cool...as if you could do wheelies and donuts forever without getting bored. Like those especially dumb kids that do something funny and get a reaction and they just keep doing it over and over seeking the same reaction, but nobody's laughing anymore and they're saying, "ooooookay....aaaaalllllllright".
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/11/2018 10:04am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Yes, there are. Many states have relaxed their licensing requirements and don’t strictly go by the stated usage on the bike’s MSO anymore. Here in Washington...
Well my exc-f is pretty close to a street legal "mx" bike, it can 12oclock, ride down sidewalks and jump streets just like an illegal mx bike. Sometimes cops give you a double take to see if the thing is actually a road worthy bike.
steed 2.0
9/11/2018 10:15am
lumpy790 wrote:

You've seen large groups of white Harley riders on unlicensed motorcycles blocking traffic and doing wheelies down public roads? That's a new one.

Broseph
9/11/2018 10:23am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Yes
9/11/2018 10:44am
I had a guy on a four wheeler follow me onto the highway, weaving around cars and trucks, passed me at 70 mph. Came between my truck and an 18 wheeler, with maybe 10’ of space. He wanted to pass me on the on ramp, but I wasn’t having any of that. Laughing
Knobbyjake
9/11/2018 10:59am
The only thing I like about these idiots are the crash videos of them that get posted. Evil
pkiczuk
9/11/2018 11:11am
kage173 wrote:
The best way to deal with these guys is to chill out and let them have their fun. You sound like the crochety old farmer with...

Different situation all together. Huge difference between someone complaining about noise verse complaining about punk kids disrupting peoples days, causing fear, and accidents.

As far as me projecting my "boring" life onto other people, hardly. Don't know where the fuck you get off going after me for just talking about something that clearly other people have dealt with. IF you haven't, great, lucky you. But fuck off. Nice try.

Post a reply to: Is this an issue in your area?

The Latest