Is this an issue in your area?

9/11/2018 11:13am

fourfourone
9/11/2018 12:06pm
kage173 wrote:
The best way to deal with these guys is to chill out and let them have their fun. You sound like the crochety old farmer with...
The best way to deal with these guys is to chill out and let them have their fun. You sound like the crochety old farmer with the land next to the track complaining that the noise is bothering his cows.

You're just projecting your boring life onto other people. Go back to your HOA and worry about your neighbor's grass height and overgrown bushes.
I don't see how he is projecting his "boring life"

Its not about these idiots having fun. It gives all legit dirtbike riders a bad name.
fourfourone
9/11/2018 12:09pm
plus add the fact that a majority of the bikes are stolen. Not stereotyping but every article you see about one of these idiots crashing always includes the crashed bike as being stolen.
9/11/2018 12:14pm
seth505 wrote:
Well my exc-f is pretty close to a street legal "mx" bike, it can 12oclock, ride down sidewalks and jump streets just like an illegal mx...
Well my exc-f is pretty close to a street legal "mx" bike, it can 12oclock, ride down sidewalks and jump streets just like an illegal mx bike. Sometimes cops give you a double take to see if the thing is actually a road worthy bike.
I’m aware. It is however, not a motocross bike. And I’m not buying that you can license a closed course competition motocross bike without modification in any state, including Washington.

The Shop

JD167
9/11/2018 12:15pm
#76 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/11/286648/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

hahahahahahahaha 100%

I hate to say this but When I was 10 or 11 my cousin and I were totally the 12 oclock boys of the dirt road we lived on.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3671st
9/11/2018 12:51pm
Not a cool situation. It’s a shame some of these guys act like this, but in all fairness they’re not hurting anyone. They’re wasting other people’s...
Not a cool situation. It’s a shame some of these guys act like this, but in all fairness they’re not hurting anyone. They’re wasting other people’s time and giving them a sense of insecurity.

I usually try to decide whether or not something someone else is doing will hurt other people physically before I let it upset me. In this case it’s very unlikely. Something like 60% of teenagers texting and driving certainly will though, so I guess it’s all perspective.
ns503 wrote:
So thieving is OK if nobody gets hurt?
Yeah, see in my post where I made any reference to stealing whatsoever? Or in the original post?

Oh wait. Neither of us ever mentioned stealing. Neither did the article.
pkiczuk
9/11/2018 12:54pm
I actually don't hate on that, hell I live on a back road with little traffic and theirs kids on their quads and dirt bikes that ride up and down it. But they're not causing issues with other people, and when they see cars they pull off to the side. The bigger issue is in high traffic areas, especially high ways.
9/11/2018 12:58pm
pkiczuk wrote:
I actually don't hate on that, hell I live on a back road with little traffic and theirs kids on their quads and dirt bikes that...
I actually don't hate on that, hell I live on a back road with little traffic and theirs kids on their quads and dirt bikes that ride up and down it. But they're not causing issues with other people, and when they see cars they pull off to the side. The bigger issue is in high traffic areas, especially high ways.
But they aren’t stealing those bikes either
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
9/11/2018 1:08pm
seth505 wrote:
Well my exc-f is pretty close to a street legal "mx" bike, it can 12oclock, ride down sidewalks and jump streets just like an illegal mx...
Well my exc-f is pretty close to a street legal "mx" bike, it can 12oclock, ride down sidewalks and jump streets just like an illegal mx bike. Sometimes cops give you a double take to see if the thing is actually a road worthy bike.
I’m aware. It is however, not a motocross bike. And I’m not buying that you can license a closed course competition motocross bike without modification in...
I’m aware. It is however, not a motocross bike. And I’m not buying that you can license a closed course competition motocross bike without modification in any state, including Washington.
Ya, they must still need lights and horn but who knows
lumpy790
9/11/2018 1:54pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Masses do things a single would not do.

I have seen white Harley riders do it.
You've seen large groups of white Harley riders on unlicensed motorcycles blocking traffic and doing wheelies down public roads? That's a new one.

"ruff ryders" type groups

Is what I was referring to. I grew up outside Baltimore from the 1970's and the gang of Pagans & Hells Angels were there riding ruff 30-40 years before the brothers started riding dirt bikes.
JD167
9/11/2018 1:58pm
Street bikes are annoying regardless of their legal standing or ethnicity of the rider.
ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
9/11/2018 2:01pm
pkiczuk wrote:
I know everyone has seen videos of these "ruff ryders" type groups riding their crotch rockets, dirt bikes, and quads in the streets, dozens at a...
I know everyone has seen videos of these "ruff ryders" type groups riding their crotch rockets, dirt bikes, and quads in the streets, dozens at a time. Recently, its been getting worse in our area. In a lot of towns here, the cops aren't aloud to chase them because they're afraid of one of them crashing and getting killed and liability blah blah blah. I have several issues with this,
1)these guys block traffic at intersections and such, for minutes at atime just doing donuts and wheelies, and whatever it may be. They circle around cars and definitely make people feel uncomfortable and unsafe.
2) they weave in and out of traffic with no regard to anyone else on the road, and expect the drivers to be able stop on a dime when they fuck up. and
3) I feel like they give us, the responsible dirt bike and street bike riders a bad rep within the community. people start to associate anyone on a bike with this type of behavior, and its evident by the amount of stories I hear of people being cut off by cars and finding out its intentional.
Luckily in a town near me, they've started to confiscate any dirtbike or quad they see riding on the road. The owner can NOT get it back, and they get a $1000 fine. They started this a few months ago and it seems to actually be working. I wish this would be implemented everywhere. So is this an issue any of you guys deal with in your areas?

heres a link to a recent news story that prompted me to post this.
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-haven/dozens-of-motorcycle-di…
$1000 bucks is steep. Mine was $115 when I got caught riding my '79 XR 250 on the street at age 14 (in the 80s - I'm not THAT old).
kkawboy14
9/11/2018 2:03pm
Texas it’s not a problem..... cops in Texas have no sense of humor!
ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
9/11/2018 2:06pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Yes, there are. Many states have relaxed their licensing requirements and don’t strictly go by the stated usage on the bike’s MSO anymore. Here in Washington...
Yes, there are. Many states have relaxed their licensing requirements and don’t strictly go by the stated usage on the bike’s MSO anymore. Here in Washington, you can license just about anything as long as it meets the (very) minimum requirements. ATVs are generally limited to 40MPH or lower roads, though, as long as they are plated.
So, in Washington, I can legally ride a KX450 on the road?
There is a short list of required equipment that has to be added. Turn signals, lights, mirrors and the like. Get a shop to inspect it. Get a plate and ride on the road.

My understanding is ID is easier than that.
kage173
9/11/2018 3:52pm
kage173 wrote:
The best way to deal with these guys is to chill out and let them have their fun. You sound like the crochety old farmer with...
The best way to deal with these guys is to chill out and let them have their fun. You sound like the crochety old farmer with the land next to the track complaining that the noise is bothering his cows.

You're just projecting your boring life onto other people. Go back to your HOA and worry about your neighbor's grass height and overgrown bushes.
pkiczuk wrote:
Different situation all together. Huge difference between someone complaining about noise verse complaining about punk kids disrupting peoples days, causing fear, and accidents. As far as...
Different situation all together. Huge difference between someone complaining about noise verse complaining about punk kids disrupting peoples days, causing fear, and accidents.

As far as me projecting my "boring" life onto other people, hardly. Don't know where the fuck you get off going after me for just talking about something that clearly other people have dealt with. IF you haven't, great, lucky you. But fuck off. Nice try.
Huge difference to who? You?

"punk kids"??? That's exactly what crotchety old guys say.

Where do you get off encouraging cops to confiscate bikes just to save your precious "legitimate bike rider image"? Prove one thing you have suffered from these guys. Just because they do things you're not into, you want to shut down their fun. If they eat it on the street that's their problem.

Get a life and mind your business.

kage173
9/11/2018 3:59pm
Rhody wrote:
Spoken like someone who has never been on the road with these guys. See how feel when you are trying to get home from work and...
Spoken like someone who has never been on the road with these guys. See how feel when you are trying to get home from work and they decide that they are going to shut the street down, and you are stuck in your truck thinking "this guy is going to wad his shit up straight through my windshield". No you don't feel safe and it does have an impact on your life.
Have you ever had one go through your windshield?
9/11/2018 4:14pm
I live in a small town but right down the road is a city where assholes terrorize streets on stolen bikes. All the dealerships in my area have been broken into and bikes stolen. But hey, Im just a boring old guy.
Neverclear
9/11/2018 4:19pm
#76 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/11/286648/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Greatest South Park episode ever. I actually keep it as a file on my computer & send it to all of my midlife crisis friends who suddenly buy Harleys & every piece of clothing they can walk out of the dealer with.

I sent it to 3 guys this summer. 2 weren't nearly as amused as I was.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3671st
9/11/2018 4:33pm
kage173 wrote:

pkiczuk wrote:
Different situation all together. Huge difference between someone complaining about noise verse complaining about punk kids disrupting peoples days, causing fear, and accidents. As far as...
Different situation all together. Huge difference between someone complaining about noise verse complaining about punk kids disrupting peoples days, causing fear, and accidents.

As far as me projecting my "boring" life onto other people, hardly. Don't know where the fuck you get off going after me for just talking about something that clearly other people have dealt with. IF you haven't, great, lucky you. But fuck off. Nice try.
kage173 wrote:
Huge difference to who? You? "punk kids"??? That's exactly what crotchety old guys say. Where do you get off encouraging cops to confiscate bikes just to...
Huge difference to who? You?

"punk kids"??? That's exactly what crotchety old guys say.

Where do you get off encouraging cops to confiscate bikes just to save your precious "legitimate bike rider image"? Prove one thing you have suffered from these guys. Just because they do things you're not into, you want to shut down their fun. If they eat it on the street that's their problem.

Get a life and mind your business.

This is exactly my point. Agree fully.
APLMAN99
9/11/2018 10:18pm
seth505 wrote:
I’m aware. It is however, not a motocross bike. And I’m not buying that you can license a closed course competition motocross bike without modification in...
Obviously you'd have to add some minimal things to it. Lights (with a brake switch), turn signals, a mirror, and I think a hotn of just about any kind (bicycle horn used to work in the past).

Used to be that if the manufacturer's MSO said "off-road only" then there was no way to get a plate. For a while, maybe 6-10 years ago, they were even taking back plates from bikes with "ambiguous" MSOs, like some KTMs. They weren't going out and actively snapping back plates, but if you were transferring ownership, the new owner wasn't being allowed to renew the plate or relicense the bike.

Then they suddenly did a 180 and basically said "We don't care what type of bike or ATV you have, if you can make it meet the simplest of rules, you can get a plate. Kinda crazy compared to how hard nosed they were in the past.

We get a lot of the SXS machines driven to work here, if the owner can find a route that keeps them under 40MPH.

And yes, plenty of folks have some quick disconnect dual sport kits on full MX bikes as well.
Joemx
9/11/2018 10:30pm
Not a cool situation. It’s a shame some of these guys act like this, but in all fairness they’re not hurting anyone. They’re wasting other people’s...
Not a cool situation. It’s a shame some of these guys act like this, but in all fairness they’re not hurting anyone. They’re wasting other people’s time and giving them a sense of insecurity.

I usually try to decide whether or not something someone else is doing will hurt other people physically before I let it upset me. In this case it’s very unlikely. Something like 60% of teenagers texting and driving certainly will though, so I guess it’s all perspective.
They're not "hurting" anyone physically, but the no good slimeballs ARE hurting their victims that worked hard for the motorcycles that these crackheads are stealing from them. They are criminal thugs and are no doubt under the influence of drugs and booze while they terrorize and disrupt the public.
9/12/2018 12:25am
I have seen groups of Harleys block intersections while they all roll through. I wasnt that pissed. Semi pissed
ns503
9/12/2018 4:27am

ns503 wrote:
So thieving is OK if nobody gets hurt?
Yeah, see in my post where I made any reference to stealing whatsoever? Or in the original post? Oh wait. Neither of us ever mentioned stealing...
Yeah, see in my post where I made any reference to stealing whatsoever? Or in the original post?

Oh wait. Neither of us ever mentioned stealing. Neither did the article.
Right. And I didn't say that you said that.

My point was to counter your statement that as long as nobody was getting physically hurt, there is no reason to be upset. Thievery is a thing that can be done without inflicting physical hurt - so does that mean nobody has a reason to be upset with thievery? Generally speaking - you know? That's why there all all kinds of laws against things that don't inflict physical hurt.

If you saw a couple shady characters breaking into your neighbours house while they were away, would you call the cops? Or just not get upset and ignore it?
Rhody
9/12/2018 5:49am
Rhody wrote:
Spoken like someone who has never been on the road with these guys. See how feel when you are trying to get home from work and...
Spoken like someone who has never been on the road with these guys. See how feel when you are trying to get home from work and they decide that they are going to shut the street down, and you are stuck in your truck thinking "this guy is going to wad his shit up straight through my windshield". No you don't feel safe and it does have an impact on your life.
kage173 wrote:
Have you ever sat in traffic caused by them? And do you realize that if you try to get though of a pack of them that have hijacked the street, they will attack you? So basically they just hold everybody hostage inside their own vehicles until they decide that they are done having fun. When someone else's fun forces me to sit in my car in traffic for an extra half hour when I have already been in traffic for an hour and half, that is not just "kids having fun".
APLMAN99
9/12/2018 5:59am
Rhody wrote:
kage173 wrote:
I haven't personally been crashed into by a drunk driver, but........
kage173
9/12/2018 6:10am
APLMAN99 wrote:
So in your mind, as you sit in your F150 at a stoplight, a teenager on a 09 yz 250 is as dangerous to you as a drunk driver?

Ok
9/12/2018 6:25am
There are no “road legal” motocross bikes or quads.
Ive owned road legal mx bikes here in the UK.
All you need is apply for a logbook, fit a reg plate, a rear reflector, a continuous horn and road legal tyres. Easy.
9/12/2018 6:33am
APLMAN99 wrote:
kage173 wrote:
So in your mind, as you sit in your F150 at a stoplight, a teenager on a 09 yz 250 is as dangerous to you as...
So in your mind, as you sit in your F150 at a stoplight, a teenager on a 09 yz 250 is as dangerous to you as a drunk driver?

Ok
Yes. Because he's riding a bike on knobblies that provide very little grip on the asphalt, brakes that don't work very well at high speeds and the rider isn't certified to have the skills required to ride safely & legally on the the road. (otherwise, he would be doing it all above board)
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
9/12/2018 7:13am
I have seen groups of Harleys block intersections while they all roll through. I wasnt that pissed. Semi pissed
Did they block the intersection for no reason? I went on a Harley charity ride to a children’s hospital loaded with toys and there was a motorcycle cop at the intersections to get us all through the light as one group when we got close to the hospital. I can’t imagine why a group of riders would block it for no reason. Was it a patriot guard mission or something similar?
Tiki
Fantasy
1774th
9/12/2018 1:47pm
Rather than fine or take the bike, make hard Labor the restitution. See how many continue after a few are caught.

Post a reply to: Is this an issue in your area?

The Latest