Is this good for Alta? (Harley Davidson Investment)

early
Fantasy
2212th
Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 9:15am
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/harley-davidson-invests-alta-moto…

Hope the influence of HD doesn't drag down Alta, they have been doing a wonderful job.
|
walleyeguy
3/1/2018 5:41am
The next two models will be branded with the Harley Davidson name? That means we will now have to pay for that name that Harley is so proud of. I think my plans for one just got moved out of my price range. Plus I was a test rider for Harley and I swore I'd never buy one.
navalseabee
3/1/2018 5:43am
I don't think that having more money for R&D is a bad thing. HD probably has connections on the manufacturing side that could potentially bring the cost of a Redshift even lower. I think if HD keeps their nose out of it and just writes checks and reaps the benefits what could go wrong.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
3/1/2018 5:45am
Harley will swallow Alta whole with it's bureaucracy and matrix management style. RIP Alta Motors and Buell before it..
Tim507
3/1/2018 5:52am
AHRMA361 wrote:
Harley will swallow Alta whole with it's bureaucracy and matrix management style. RIP Alta Motors and Buell before it..
Hmmm, would have to agree on HD's management style and the fear of repeating the Buell experience. My local dealer just took on Alta and I was seriously considering that I needed to try one (before I'm to old to use it to the fullest).

Since we know that Alta keeps track of the Social Media links, lets hope that they get it and are on top of this potential issue!

The Shop

Motofinne
3/1/2018 5:57am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 6:01am
I'd be worried. HD is not the company that i wanted to see invest in Alta.

Edit: Worried might be the wrong word. But HD being involved doesn't give a positive feeling.
Bearuno
3/1/2018 6:13am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 6:15am
Look up the HD Livewire project, if any of you haven't seen it. And, they recently announced it (well HD E bikes) was going ahead into production.

Bizarrely (considering it's from HD), from the get go, to me, it looked like the best of all of the Road E bike projects. Well, other than the MotoCzysx and Mugen / Honda IOM racers.

I never thought HD with it ICE ranges styles, could come up with something that looked so good. Hell, it's a better looking Motorcycle than the vast majority of their bikes. Perhaps because of it being an E bike, and thus , so far from their push rod V Twins, they could separate the whole thing from the 'traditional ' HD 'styles..

But, yes, the whole Buell saga, really makes one think that HD may well do the same to Alta. But, I'd say any investment, and eventual take over by, Any current large scale manufacturer, would lead to Alta 'disappearing'. It's just the nature of such things.
JMX82
3/1/2018 6:46am
I'm affraid that HD is only Interested in Alta's battery technology and once they got it they will dump the brand
Titan1
3/1/2018 6:57am
Hmmm...I wonder how HD’s loyalists would feel about riding coal powered bikes? Seems they all love the “sound” of the HD’s...that goes away with Electric...
stone881
3/1/2018 7:00am
Nothing in the press release to indicate anything other than HD needs Alta's expertise to bring better product to market. I would say that with the background of the Alta team, it is unlikely that they would compromise on Alta branded product.

Better to congratulate the Alta team on bringing game changing tech to market on their terms and seeing that commitment pay off. This to me only means positive direction for Alta and likely more competitive pricing.
kb228
3/1/2018 7:02am
Sounds bad to me. If its anything more than investing then alta is screwed. Cant think of anything positive when it comes to harley davidson.
3/1/2018 7:05am
I don’t think it’s a problem....gives Alta more capital to keep their focus. Depends on how much HD is vested. I doubt Alta would give them enough where HD was in full control.
BobbyM
3/1/2018 7:24am
E powered street bikes? Damn how long does it take to "filler up"?
3/1/2018 7:35am
Yes. This is good for Alta. Harley has a minority stake in the company.

Good for Alta: capital, manufacturing, dealer networking
Good for Harley: technology, revitalization, diversification
3/1/2018 7:37am
Nothing about this makes it sound like HD is having any input outside of the two models Alta will be designing for them. I don't know why everyone is getting all up in a tizzy over this. It doesn't say they didn't, but I don't think this investment constitutes a controlling share to shift Alta's overall goals. HD didn't buy Alta, it seems like an investment for designing two new HD models which benefits both companies.
walleyeguy
3/1/2018 8:22am
Nothing about this makes it sound like HD is having any input outside of the two models Alta will be designing for them. I don't know...
Nothing about this makes it sound like HD is having any input outside of the two models Alta will be designing for them. I don't know why everyone is getting all up in a tizzy over this. It doesn't say they didn't, but I don't think this investment constitutes a controlling share to shift Alta's overall goals. HD didn't buy Alta, it seems like an investment for designing two new HD models which benefits both companies.
I hope you're right. Like I said. If we have to buy a "Harley" branded dirtbike most of us won't be willing to pay for the "Harley" name.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/1/2018 8:29am
Yes. This is good for Alta. Harley has a minority stake in the company. Good for Alta: capital, manufacturing, dealer networking Good for Harley: technology, revitalization...

^^^this
3/1/2018 8:57am
Yes. This is good for Alta. Harley has a minority stake in the company. Good for Alta: capital, manufacturing, dealer networking Good for Harley: technology, revitalization...

seth505 wrote:
^^^this
Yes this. Harley is desperate for diversification. Hopefully they learned from the Buell disaster, but let's see. I have a Harley and plan to eventually buy an Alta.
bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
3/1/2018 8:57am
From what I understand, it is a partnership, not a takeover or merger. I think it will only be beneficial for both sides.
3/1/2018 9:13am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 9:15am
Nothing about this makes it sound like HD is having any input outside of the two models Alta will be designing for them. I don't know...
walleyeguy wrote:
I hope you're right. Like I said. If we have to buy a "Harley" branded dirtbike most of us won't be willing to pay for the...
I hope you're right. Like I said. If we have to buy a "Harley" branded dirtbike most of us won't be willing to pay for the "Harley" name.
You’ll buy it if the product is ahead of the game. Besides clothing and apparralnis really only where you’re getting raped buying the name. When you buy a bike you’re getting a bike.

I’d imagine if anything you’ll be buying an “ALTA-hd” the hd isn’t gonna add $3000 to the price. People won’t pay it. They’re really trying to reduce costs at Alta.....they gotta get the price point down and with this partnership it will help to do just that.
Motofinne
3/1/2018 9:23am
I just thought about one thing that could be positive. I wonder if Alta will be able to start selling the bikes worldwide through HD dealers.

The market in Europe needs a competitive electric bike like Alta considering that the EU regulations are getting stricter and stricter.
zookie
3/1/2018 9:42am
Man, you guys who think this is going to be bad for Alta with Harley telling them how to do things have NO idea how venture investing works.

I've worked for 3 venture-backed companies. One raised a couple million, the second raised about 50 million, and the company I work for now has raised well over 200 million. The latter has a number of strategic partners who have invested in the company and are also customers. They invest in us so that they can have early/customized access to our technology. When a company "in your space" (IE Harley is in the motorcycle space and so is Alta) invests in you, it is almost 100% done as a strategic move for the investor to acquire access to knowledge/technology for their own products.

In this case, Harley gets a leg up on electric motorcycles and likely some equity in Alta. Alta gets capital and more publicity. Win-win. If a fellow MX company wanted to invest in Alta, they probably would not have done it, but Harley is far enough away from Alta's market that any marriage between the two companies is advantageous to both.
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/1/2018 9:51am
Motofinne: dealer network seems like the most attractive aspect of the deal for Alta

Zookie: there seems to be a fair amount of joint development with this deal. The last time something like this happened with an innovative company that would diversify HDs portfolio it did not end well for Buell.

Of course none of us (so far) have inside details on the deal so this is all educated speculation.
3/1/2018 9:51am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 10:03am
100% situational.

Harley branding, dealership network, capital, and manufacturing would be a boon to any motorcycle company. But if Harley management is added to the mix, the fit can become a whole lot more questionable.
walleyeguy
3/1/2018 9:54am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 9:55am
Zookie, I'm sure you know more than I do so I hope you're right. I would certainly think that Alta knows if they can get their bikes to under $10,000 OTD they are going to temp WAY more people to give it a shot. Putting "Harley" on the bike and charging double isn't.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
3/1/2018 10:01am
Motofinne wrote:
I just thought about one thing that could be positive. I wonder if Alta will be able to start selling the bikes worldwide through HD dealers...
I just thought about one thing that could be positive. I wonder if Alta will be able to start selling the bikes worldwide through HD dealers.

The market in Europe needs a competitive electric bike like Alta considering that the EU regulations are getting stricter and stricter.
I read the plan is for Alta be sold at HD dealers. Can't say this is true, or that means Alta is coming to Europe. But I'd say your odds of getting an Alta are better.
3/1/2018 10:50am
Motofinne wrote:
I just thought about one thing that could be positive. I wonder if Alta will be able to start selling the bikes worldwide through HD dealers...

colintrax wrote:
I read the plan is for Alta be sold at HD dealers. Can't say this is true, or that means Alta is coming to Europe. But...
I read the plan is for Alta be sold at HD dealers. Can't say this is true, or that means Alta is coming to Europe. But I'd say your odds of getting an Alta are better.
Now that's a very interesting perspective. It all depends on the sale price.
3/1/2018 11:14am
I hope its a good thing and Im pretty excited since Ive started working at an HD dealership as a tech
Canadad
3/1/2018 11:18am
How will they get it to leak oil?
This is the kind of know how HD will be bringing to the Alta R&D department....very exciting.
3/1/2018 11:38am
How will they get it to leak oil?
Canadad wrote:
This is the kind of know how HD will be bringing to the Alta R&D department....very exciting.
They'll fix Alta's battery seals to get that pesky acid out onto the driveway where it belongs.

Post a reply to: Is this good for Alta? (Harley Davidson Investment)

The Latest