"It's likely the season is already over."

GODZILLA
Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 2:22pm
That's what major MXGP agent Gérard Valat explains in a Motoverte itw...

Says it'll probably take quite a while before teams and racers can travel freely from one country and continent to another for such non essentiel matters...
And also that the economical situation is rather critical for some teams and pilots since most sponsorship or racers contracts don't get paid if you don't race...

|
D_L118
4/12/2020 4:51am
I can only agree.
I read today that a lot of cycling teams are facing difficult times. And that’s cycling. Cycling is huge compared to moto. It doesn’t look very promising for the teams. Let’s hope for the best.
4/12/2020 5:10am
I can see the nationals taking a hit and a schedule war between MX and SX
downard254
4/12/2020 5:13am
Sadly, I’m going to have to agree. Some reports coming in are predicting end of summer (August) before the first wave is over. Then there is always the second wave that follows. And now I’m seeing there may be a couple other viruses breaking out in China now.

The Shop

Crush
4/12/2020 5:15am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 6:37am
It’s certainly not looking good... On any front.
GODZILLA
4/12/2020 5:34am
I can see the nationals taking a hit and a schedule war between MX and SX
We'll be in luck if any racing takes place at all.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/12/2020 5:57am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 5:58am
We will be back to regular business soon. Original models are or were way off, treatments are being fast tracked, vaccines are now going into phase 2 and we have a president that wants to get back to work.

I say within a month we are back at work and restrictions are at ease.

It’s going to be crazy to see which way the sport goes when it’s back open, not jus the sport but the world.. I feel like it’s going to be kind of a free for all. Lots of craziness.

GODZILLA
4/12/2020 6:22am
Yeah, you're right, original models were way off: no one ever thought there would be more than 500000 confirmed cases in the US.
Sad

Truly hope you'll be fine.
ATKpilot99
4/12/2020 6:44am
Regis wrote:
We will be back to regular business soon. Original models are or were way off, treatments are being fast tracked, vaccines are now going into phase...
We will be back to regular business soon. Original models are or were way off, treatments are being fast tracked, vaccines are now going into phase 2 and we have a president that wants to get back to work.

It’s going to be crazy to see which way the sport goes when it’s back open, not jus the sport but the world.. I feel like it’s going to be kind of a free for all. Lots of craziness.

Unless large crowds are again allowed to assemble I wouldn't think any pro racing will happen. It's not like the mainstream sports where it's feasible to have events without a crowd. Just a guess but large crowds could be banned until there's a vaccine.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
4/12/2020 7:10am
Regis wrote:
We will be back to regular business soon. Original models are or were way off, treatments are being fast tracked, vaccines are now going into phase...

ATKpilot99 wrote:
Unless large crowds are again allowed to assemble I wouldn't think any pro racing will happen. It's not like the mainstream sports where it's feasible to...
Unless large crowds are again allowed to assemble I wouldn't think any pro racing will happen. It's not like the mainstream sports where it's feasible to have events without a crowd. Just a guess but large crowds could be banned until there's a vaccine.
Many competent leaders of large nations have said that the social distancing restrictions will NOT be lifted until there is a vaccine.
mx317
4/12/2020 7:10am
Races will be cranking up soon!
500guy
4/12/2020 7:13am
Regis wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:
Unless large crowds are again allowed to assemble I wouldn't think any pro racing will happen. It's not like the mainstream sports where it's feasible to...
Without the Spectators I think it would be much cheaper to run an outdoor National.

Yes the financial obligations will shift and profits go down maybe even to the point of loss but I say if any racing is done it will be right here in the USA.
4/12/2020 7:16am
GODZILLA wrote:
Yeah, you're right, original models were way off: no one ever thought there would be more than 500000 confirmed cases in the US. :( Truly hope...
Yeah, you're right, original models were way off: no one ever thought there would be more than 500000 confirmed cases in the US.
Sad

They thought there would be at least 4 times that much at least. That said, the first wave hasn't even hit most of the US hard, yet. This ain't over yet folks.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
4/12/2020 7:21am
Regis wrote:

I hope we find a vaccine and it all goes away asap as much as everyone else, but we are officially another month (most likely 2-3 minimum) from thinking about easing safer at home here in CA and we don't have it as bad due to quarantining a month ago and being pretty spread out.

Not one person I know that would know is planning on being able to start the tv season till late July/early August at the earliest (not including pre-pro.). Any gathering of large groups will be prohibited till there is a vaccine. Also talk of COVID19 tests being required before we can even go back to work since less than 1% of CA has actually been tested.

Sucks for everyone for sure.
GODZILLA
4/12/2020 7:34am
They thought there would be at least 4 times that much at least. That said, the first wave hasn't even hit most of the US hard...
They thought there would be at least 4 times that much at least. That said, the first wave hasn't even hit most of the US hard, yet. This ain't over yet folks.
I remember someone saying "We'll be fine, we have this totally under control, it's going to disappear."
Won't tell you who it is though, that would be politics, the sheriff would kick my ass and it's not the point anyway.
Wink
resetjet
4/12/2020 7:40am
I am sure every sport in the world is busy trying to renegotiate contracts to tv only.
GODZILLA
4/12/2020 7:47am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 7:48am
500guy wrote:
Without the Spectators I think it would be much cheaper to run an outdoor National. Yes the financial obligations will shift and profits go down maybe...
Without the Spectators I think it would be much cheaper to run an outdoor National.

Yes the financial obligations will shift and profits go down maybe even to the point of loss but I say if any racing is done it will be right here in the USA.
You're right, there's probably a good chance one of the US championships could get back on track before the worldwide MXGP, since you don't have to cross boarders.
Don't think Russia is impatiently waiting to have Italian teams on their homesoil...
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
4/12/2020 8:51am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 9:05am
As brought up on Pulp, the tracks hosting nationals fully rely on gate and concession money to make it worthwhile for them. I don’t see many, if any at all, running just to put it on TV with no crowds allowed. I could see SX running because it’s all Feld, but the limitations on crowds could be very hard with everyone a team brings, plus everyone on Feld’s side that needs to be there too.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/12/2020 8:52am
GODZILLA wrote:
Yeah, you're right, original models were way off: no one ever thought there would be more than 500000 confirmed cases in the US. :( Truly hope...
Sad

My governor Newsome predicted 25,000,000 in California. Most everyone in “the know” predicted hundreds of thousands of US casualties, that is down below 60K now. Yes, they were slightly off
biondo
4/12/2020 8:56am
D_L118 wrote:
I can only agree. I read today that a lot of cycling teams are facing difficult times. And that’s cycling. Cycling is huge compared to moto...
I can only agree.
I read today that a lot of cycling teams are facing difficult times. And that’s cycling. Cycling is huge compared to moto. It doesn’t look very promising for the teams. Let’s hope for the best.
Sad 😂! Was looking forward to going to watch the Giro d Italia ! In May...maybe next year...Ciao tutti!
tek14
4/12/2020 9:01am
US could get some racing but MXGP not so much. If it was just EU series it could be but fly aways wont happen this year. Un less there is miracle in medicine/vaccine this will take long time but we need some enterteiment like SX/MX during waiting normal times to come back again.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/12/2020 9:04am
Regis wrote:

avidchimp wrote:
I hope we find a vaccine and it all goes away asap as much as everyone else, but we are officially another month (most likely 2-3...
I hope we find a vaccine and it all goes away asap as much as everyone else, but we are officially another month (most likely 2-3 minimum) from thinking about easing safer at home here in CA and we don't have it as bad due to quarantining a month ago and being pretty spread out.

Not one person I know that would know is planning on being able to start the tv season till late July/early August at the earliest (not including pre-pro.). Any gathering of large groups will be prohibited till there is a vaccine. Also talk of COVID19 tests being required before we can even go back to work since less than 1% of CA has actually been tested.

Sucks for everyone for sure.
Agreed! I said it would be another 1-2 months on top of where we are now after what I saw yesterday. There were hundreds if not thousands of people traveling through my town yesterday and going to our small local markets. My wife and I were pissed! We also had to head in to SCV for a few things and people were filling the roads as well as tons of people out in public with no masks or gloves.

I get it, it’s been raining a lot and people have been stuck in their houses, but going out and about like nothing is wrong will just prolong everything. I’m guessing July-August if people keep this up.
GODZILLA
4/12/2020 9:09am
KennyT wrote:
My governor Newsome predicted 25,000,000 in California. Most everyone in “the know” predicted hundreds of thousands of US casualties, that is down below 60K now. Yes...
My governor Newsome predicted 25,000,000 in California. Most everyone in “the know” predicted hundreds of thousands of US casualties, that is down below 60K now. Yes, they were slightly off
I don't plan on starting a pissing match.
Just thought Regis was being a little over optimistic.

May you be right, but like Roger said, it ain't over.
4/12/2020 9:09am
Sporting events, concerts, inside dining, etc.

Major reset in how these will come back, if at all in the future. A vaccine is not a cure.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/12/2020 9:23am
KennyT wrote:
My governor Newsome predicted 25,000,000 in California. Most everyone in “the know” predicted hundreds of thousands of US casualties, that is down below 60K now. Yes...
GODZILLA wrote:
I don't plan on starting a pissing match. Just thought Regis was being a little over optimistic. May you be right, but like Roger said, it...
I don't plan on starting a pissing match.
Just thought Regis was being a little over optimistic.

May you be right, but like Roger said, it ain't over.
I’ve always preferred optimism over pessimism. I saw you live in France so I wanted to point out to you how far off the predictions were here in some parts of the US. The strict measures appear to be working out pretty well. Best of luck to you in France 👍
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
4/12/2020 9:24am
Couldn't They do all of The MXGP's in 2 or 3 locations, Host more than one round at the same spot, And do ones that they know they will be able to do?

Post a reply to: "It's likely the season is already over."

The Latest