JT would be proud!

Meister
Edited Date/Time 7/7/2020 4:02pm
Working on changing gear brands and finally took the plunge on a top of the line lid.

First impressions:
*Light as hell compared to another brands mid level helmets I've been wearing.

*Interior is super comfy with no pressure points.

*Venting looks great.

*Was oddly quiet when I initially put it on, not that it's a bad thing.

*The visor is sweet and I don't think it sticks up too far.

*Eye port is very large with great peripheral allowance.

The stickers I added are temporary until I get new, better fitting ones made.

Looking forward to wearing it on the track.

So far, my whole switch over from another top name brand gear company to Fly has been for the better in every way, specially quality wise. I like the attention to detail that some others seem to lack these day.

|
Jt$
6/30/2020 7:23am
Thanks for giving it a chance!
mxb2
6/30/2020 7:31am
New fly stuff is sick,. Love the new cf lid. One day gonna try some.
USA
Fantasy
507th
6/30/2020 7:34am
I'm catching the Fly bug as well, I've never had better fitting motocross pants. The quality seems to be much better than the other gear brands I have for the same price/line. I cant wait to try some MTB gear.

Which helmet is that, it's not the Formula, is it?
Payup_199
6/30/2020 8:22am
USA wrote:
I'm catching the Fly bug as well, I've never had better fitting motocross pants. The quality seems to be much better than the other gear brands...
I'm catching the Fly bug as well, I've never had better fitting motocross pants. The quality seems to be much better than the other gear brands I have for the same price/line. I cant wait to try some MTB gear.

Which helmet is that, it's not the Formula, is it?
this is the Formula

The Shop

aeffertz
6/30/2020 9:11am
I was amazed at how light that helmet is the first time I picked it up as well!
OLDMOTO
6/30/2020 9:30am
I hope you have better luck with Fly gear than I did. I had a terrible expeience. Bought two sets of the high end vented gear. The stitching in the waist bands of both came unraveled with in two months. Im old, slow and thin build. I ride once a week on Sunday if I'm lucky. I never crashed in or abused the gear. I called Fly and they refused to help. They wouldn't even agree to look at the defective gear. My emails went unanswered. Very little appreciation for their customers. Very bad dishonest company. Sad because I liked their new helmets, but since they don't stand behing their products I bought a Shoei helmet.
BigBoreFan58
6/30/2020 10:37am
OLDMOTO wrote:
I hope you have better luck with Fly gear than I did. I had a terrible expeience. Bought two sets of the high end vented gear...
I hope you have better luck with Fly gear than I did. I had a terrible expeience. Bought two sets of the high end vented gear. The stitching in the waist bands of both came unraveled with in two months. Im old, slow and thin build. I ride once a week on Sunday if I'm lucky. I never crashed in or abused the gear. I called Fly and they refused to help. They wouldn't even agree to look at the defective gear. My emails went unanswered. Very little appreciation for their customers. Very bad dishonest company. Sad because I liked their new helmets, but since they don't stand behing their products I bought a Shoei helmet.
Success can kill a company. They get big, they get cocky, they forget what got them there to begin with,They hire MBA's, they start tracking metrics and go on cost cutting missions in search of higher yields. Next thing you know, your pants fall down and FLY says not their fault, the Chinese did it.

I suspect KTM may go this way if they aren't careful. I'm seeing some cost cutting in their products lately.
Rickyisms
6/30/2020 11:29am
OLDMOTO wrote:
I hope you have better luck with Fly gear than I did. I had a terrible expeience. Bought two sets of the high end vented gear...
Success can kill a company. They get big, they get cocky, they forget what got them there to begin with,They hire MBA's, they start tracking metrics...
Success can kill a company. They get big, they get cocky, they forget what got them there to begin with,They hire MBA's, they start tracking metrics and go on cost cutting missions in search of higher yields. Next thing you know, your pants fall down and FLY says not their fault, the Chinese did it.

I suspect KTM may go this way if they aren't careful. I'm seeing some cost cutting in their products lately.
Curious on what you see with the Austrian bikes?
Gilby122
6/30/2020 1:51pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
My experience was quite the opposite. I had a tip over that broke the stitching off the side adjustment on a pair of pants. I contacted Fly and I got a new pair of pants. I had a pair of gloves that tore when I was pulling them on (honestly I ordered a size too small in hindsight). They sent me a new pair of gloves. I had a chest protector buckle snap in a crash. I got ahold of Fly and they sent me a new set of buckles. They've stood behind everything for me without hesitation. For what it's worth, I'm also slow and old(ish).

I think their rider support is also among the best, if not the best. Everyone has their preference, but I'm Fly 100%. (haha)
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
6/30/2020 2:12pm
Glad you like it man. I love mine. They’re comfortable and well vented - on top of the safety attributes.

aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
6/30/2020 2:29pm
Its funny, back in 08 / 09 I was working in a bike shop, FLY was seen much in Australia then, but we carried it, it was the cheap option we pushed customers towards.

Colorways were average at best and I never thought about wearing it.

Now I am rocking Fly pretty much head to toe, pretty much one pair of each of the pant and jersey line. The DST has a great fit and BOA system is pretty dam sweet. But just as happy with the Kinetic Pants, I have a bit of a gut at the moment and no hips, but they still stay up!

My ear sits in a bit of a funny spot in both the Formula and F2 helmets, due to my head shape, but both feel great and the Formula is right on the mark with the lightness.

Might have to look at some MTB gear!
bustinnuts!
6/30/2020 4:12pm
I’ve had over 10 sets of fly gear, only one pair of pants was damaged, took it back to the bike shop, and they sent pics to there WPS rep, and he sent me pants 🤷🏻‍♂️
Dimblewambie
6/30/2020 4:32pm
Is it JT$ approved to wear a Fly formula with non fly gear? Asking for a friend..
jk367
6/30/2020 4:36pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Glad you like it man. I love mine. They’re comfortable and well vented - on top of the safety attributes. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/06/30/435418/s1200_D5291D3A_C044_4233_9386_EE1FA2F68814.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/06/30/435419/s1200_A0A6BD99_2BBD_45E8_B462_C1FEFE277886.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/06/30/435420/s1200_AB262DF4_B3E5_4E5D_8AAA_840BF14D03FB.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/06/30/435421/s1200_0385CFEC_6052_42D6_A946_BA76C9CA9EEE.jpg[/img]
Glad you like it man. I love mine. They’re comfortable and well vented - on top of the safety attributes.

Why the hell would someone down vote this. Nice helmet my man
BigBoreFan58
6/30/2020 5:10pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2020 6:48pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
Success can kill a company. They get big, they get cocky, they forget what got them there to begin with,They hire MBA's, they start tracking metrics...

Rickyisms wrote:
Curious on what you see with the Austrian bikes?
The EXC and XCW models, 2017 and up I believe, they have a really subpar fork and shock. It can be made to work, but it shouldn't be necessary. The fuel spigots are now plastic. The EXCs are experiencing wiring harness issues, the wiring is too short and fatigues and breaks. Those seem like cost cutting decisions IMO. KTM blinkers are not LED. The EXC headlights are flat out dangerous and basically unusable.

The 790 has an issue where the headlight mounts break off from the frame. The aftermarket has addressed it but again it shouldn't have been an issue, as the 1190 and 1090 had the same issue. I'm not sure who makes the 790 calipers, but they don't say Brembo on them. the 790 clutch is cable acticvated , noy hydraulic. It has really weird engagement point.

I can't comment on the XCW or SX models, I don't stay current on those models.

My KTMs have been great so far. Only been stranded one time, that was a dead battery.

Plus, a lot the KTM dealers in the past were mom and pop shops, racers who took care of you because they knew the market, Now it seems KTM dealerships are just a small part of megaplex and the experience is the same as buying a new car, which is not a pleasant one. And forget about finding a competent KTM mechanic where I live.

I'm on my 8th KTM, still have 3 in the garage. I'm not a KTM hater or basher. I may add another one, or maybe two more, but they'll be used ones. KTM does make bikes that I want to buy.

EDIT: I forgot about wheels. The EXC and XCWs no longer have Excel rims. They have some flat black rim with a texture to it.

PRM31
6/30/2020 5:12pm
When you wear it, can you even see the visor?
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
6/30/2020 5:21pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Glad you like it man. I love mine. They’re comfortable and well vented - on top of the safety attributes. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/06/30/435418/s1200_D5291D3A_C044_4233_9386_EE1FA2F68814.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/06/30/435419/s1200_A0A6BD99_2BBD_45E8_B462_C1FEFE277886.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/06/30/435420/s1200_AB262DF4_B3E5_4E5D_8AAA_840BF14D03FB.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/06/30/435421/s1200_0385CFEC_6052_42D6_A946_BA76C9CA9EEE.jpg[/img]

jk367 wrote:
Why the hell would someone down vote this. Nice helmet my man
Lol people are funny. Not to hijack the thread - but thank you. They’re awesome helmets for sure. Glad more guys are feeling the same and liking them.
Meister
6/30/2020 8:06pm
Down votes were accidental due to lack of oxygen from their buddy joe down their throats.

I can see the visor with it on.

Possibly riding tomorrow. When I do, I'll update on the ride comfort.
PRM31
7/1/2020 3:22am
Thanks. Great looking helmet! If I were in the market for a Moto helmet it would be between Fly and 6D. Good to finally see improvements in safety technology. I went with a 6D for street track day riding.

Perhaps Fly will develop a Formula helmet for the street.
kage173
7/1/2020 4:47am

Lol. Yeah tracking metrics definitely kills a company. Especially expenses, costs and losses.
Jt$
7/1/2020 8:58am
OLDMOTO wrote:
Hello sir. Can you please give me more details on this? We only offer vented gear in the Kinetic line (mid-price) so I wanted to clarify on that.

Also, I have literally never, in 8 years here, heard of our customer service refusing to help. Literally not one time. I am going to have to question the legitimacy of that.

I have a suspicion this is trolling based on the insults but I refuse to let this go unaddressed. If this is legit and you had an issue, I would love to know more. FLY Racing ALWAYS stands behind our products and strives to find solutions to make sure you get your money's worth. That's how we have grown into the brand we are today and it's how we will become the brand we aspire to.
Bramlett321
7/1/2020 9:06am

You guys have lost your damn minds making a blanket statement like that about a company based on your own skewed opinions. I've worn this gear for years and have never had a single issue. I can't say that about some of the other top brands that I've spent more on.
aeffertz
7/1/2020 10:44am
OLDMOTO wrote:
Jt$ wrote:
Hello sir. Can you please give me more details on this? We only offer vented gear in the Kinetic line (mid-price) so I wanted to clarify...
Hello sir. Can you please give me more details on this? We only offer vented gear in the Kinetic line (mid-price) so I wanted to clarify on that.

Also, I have literally never, in 8 years here, heard of our customer service refusing to help. Literally not one time. I am going to have to question the legitimacy of that.

I have a suspicion this is trolling based on the insults but I refuse to let this go unaddressed. If this is legit and you had an issue, I would love to know more. FLY Racing ALWAYS stands behind our products and strives to find solutions to make sure you get your money's worth. That's how we have grown into the brand we are today and it's how we will become the brand we aspire to.
Whether he's trolling or not, he is consistent.

OLDMOTO
7/1/2020 11:28am
OLDMOTO wrote:
Jt$ wrote:
Hello sir. Can you please give me more details on this? We only offer vented gear in the Kinetic line (mid-price) so I wanted to clarify...

It has been several years now. But this and another recent post about gear reserected it. I bought two sets of the Kinetic gear in red. I liked the colorway and the venting. The stitching in the waistbands came unraveled on both of them within a short period. I first contacted the retailer and was told that I have to contact Fly directly. I went to the Fly website for contact information. I emailed and never received a reply. I called Fly asking if this would be considered under a warranty and was told it was not a warranty situation. I didnt write down names, times and dates as I didnt think my integrity would be questioned at a much later date. You can post your polite insults but it doesn't change the facts. I bought a Fly product, it was defective and your company refused to assist me. Fly was contacted, given the opportunity to make a resolution and refused to do so. It very easy for you to question conversations you were not a part of, take your indignant tone and cast aspersions on my honesty. Let me ask, Where were you when your assistance and action was required?
Meister
7/1/2020 1:30pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
Jt$ wrote:

Another reason im glad and confident in making the full switch to Fly.
Jt$
7/1/2020 4:19pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
Jt$ wrote:

OLDMOTO wrote:
It has been several years now. But this and another recent post about gear reserected it. I bought two sets of the Kinetic gear in red...
It has been several years now. But this and another recent post about gear reserected it. I bought two sets of the Kinetic gear in red. I liked the colorway and the venting. The stitching in the waistbands came unraveled on both of them within a short period. I first contacted the retailer and was told that I have to contact Fly directly. I went to the Fly website for contact information. I emailed and never received a reply. I called Fly asking if this would be considered under a warranty and was told it was not a warranty situation. I didnt write down names, times and dates as I didnt think my integrity would be questioned at a much later date. You can post your polite insults but it doesn't change the facts. I bought a Fly product, it was defective and your company refused to assist me. Fly was contacted, given the opportunity to make a resolution and refused to do so. It very easy for you to question conversations you were not a part of, take your indignant tone and cast aspersions on my honesty. Let me ask, Where were you when your assistance and action was required?
I apologize if my tone came across as indignant. More importantly, I apologize that you didn't get the customer service you should have received. That's certainly not the norm.

I can't answer where I was specifically when this happened in your last question.

When you say the "waistband came unraveled", can you expand on that? Our pants have changed significantly over the years but that's not a common problem, or at least maybe as I am imagining it.

Can you fill me in on where this was purchased?

In any all seriousness, we take this side of our business very seriously and would never intentionally allow a customer to leave any scenario less than satisfied. I wish I could have helped in this particular case.
kage173
7/1/2020 4:39pm
aeffertz wrote:
Whether he's trolling or not, he is consistent. [img]https://i.imgur.com/cqYDSXc.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/2TFMPF8.png[/img]
Whether he's trolling or not, he is consistent.

Bloody hell that's some research right there. Now I'm going to have to go into every Vital conversation with complete integrity in my arguments over several years. I'm impressed but I think you just ruined vital for me.
OLDMOTO
7/1/2020 6:04pm
Jt$ wrote:

OLDMOTO wrote:
It has been several years now. But this and another recent post about gear reserected it. I bought two sets of the Kinetic gear in red...
Jt$ wrote:
I apologize if my tone came across as indignant. More importantly, I apologize that you didn't get the customer service you should have received. That's certainly...
I apologize if my tone came across as indignant. More importantly, I apologize that you didn't get the customer service you should have received. That's certainly not the norm.

I can't answer where I was specifically when this happened in your last question.

When you say the "waistband came unraveled", can you expand on that? Our pants have changed significantly over the years but that's not a common problem, or at least maybe as I am imagining it.

Can you fill me in on where this was purchased?

In any all seriousness, we take this side of our business very seriously and would never intentionally allow a customer to leave any scenario less than satisfied. I wish I could have helped in this particular case.
JT, I apologize as well. I lost my temper. I appreciate your sincerity. I sent you a message detailing everything. Thank you.
aeffertz
7/1/2020 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2020 9:05pm
kage173 wrote:
Bloody hell that's some research right there. Now I'm going to have to go into every Vital conversation with complete integrity in my arguments over several...
Bloody hell that's some research right there. Now I'm going to have to go into every Vital conversation with complete integrity in my arguments over several years. I'm impressed but I think you just ruined vital for me.
Hopefully I didn’t ruin anything, I was only pointing out his impression has been consistent throughout the years. If that means people clown less and tell the truth more; then that’s good. If you are going to belittle a company, you sure as shit better stand by your word.

Peoples views can change. But I think it’s important to have the understanding of what you say may influence others whether it be true or not, even if you think you’re just a random user on a message board. No need to spread false info, good or bad.
Jt$
7/2/2020 3:24am
kage173 wrote:
Bloody hell that's some research right there. Now I'm going to have to go into every Vital conversation with complete integrity in my arguments over several...
aeffertz wrote:
Hopefully I didn’t ruin anything, I was only pointing out his impression has been consistent throughout the years. If that means people clown less and tell...
Hopefully I didn’t ruin anything, I was only pointing out his impression has been consistent throughout the years. If that means people clown less and tell the truth more; then that’s good. If you are going to belittle a company, you sure as shit better stand by your word.

Peoples views can change. But I think it’s important to have the understanding of what you say may influence others whether it be true or not, even if you think you’re just a random user on a message board. No need to spread false info, good or bad.
You didn't ruin anything for me! There is never a scenario in which I wouldn't want to correct a poor experience. That's what we do!

There are many things that are out of our control as a brand but customer service never should be. That's purely effort and respect and those are non-negotiable.

Post a reply to: JT would be proud!

The Latest