Japan 2000 RC250M factory replica - finished pics from 2001 $pecical restoration build thread

Edited Date/Time 8/17/2019 1:07am
I have a few small things to do, but my other build thread was dragging out so I thought I would share some of the final build pictures. The build is an amalgamation of the 2nd gen aluminum frame that the Honda Japan factory raced from 1999 to 2001. Japan switched from the GP green number plates to red backgrounds in 2000, so I am using the colors from when the bike was introduced in 1999. The stickers and red triple clamps are pretty much what they were using in 2000. I made a few minor style changes that I thought looked much better where the factory was using plain-jane OEM parts. I raced this bike as an amateur in Japan and shipped it back to the US by boat when I relocated back to the US, so it is an original Japan model which had a few minor differences. I bought the bike new in late Spring of 2000 from the Honda support team, so it is one of the first 2001's off the production line. I have a lot of time with this bike,

A quick summary of the build (see build thread for more details), is the build uses as many genuine HRC parts and custom replica HRC parts as possible. It has the 20" front wheel, 18" rear wheel combo that the Japan factory was often running at the time. Most all OEM parts used in this build are NOS. The forks are 47mm Showa works with full coatings inside and out. The rear shock is also Kashima coated with a titanium nitrate shaft. The hubs are rare Martin Honda billet Ergal hubs from their GP team from the late 90's.All bolts/ hardware are either genuine HRC titanium or custom HRC replica titanium. Most of the HRC parts are NOS. The suspension and motor work as good as they look and would be ready to race tomorrow. It is not a mishmash of parts that were never meant to run together. The engine and suspension are something I refined over the years.

Here is the inspiration for the build.. the Japan RC250M's from 1999-2000..

|
7/29/2018 1:27am
I lived very close to the Honda track in Japan for 15 years and was in the shop of the Honda "Support" team (MotoRoman) almost every weekend. Akira Narita, Katsuya, and Atsuta (one of 2 Atsuta brothers) were riding for the MotoRoman team in 1999 and 2000, not the regular factory team, but had most all of the same HRC works parts as Takahama, Atsuta,, and Odagiri from the Team Honda HRC team, so support team is a misnomer actually, because these were not 2nd tier riders and were often the top finishers over the normal factory team. I was close to these bikes over the years and hope I captured the look of these few years, even if I mixed and matched some of the cosmetics from different seasons.

GODZILLA
7/29/2018 2:41am
Absolutely amazing and really beautiful.
Woohoo
Sorry, I didn't read the whole other topic, where the hell did you find a front 20" tire?
mmcmx
7/29/2018 2:53am
Really enjoyed reading and watching the process. Lately I find myself drooling over bikes like yours more than with the new stuff...I must be getting old.

The Shop

7/29/2018 3:53am
This is without a doubt my favorite bike resto on the web. Typically I hope they get ridden but this one will stay tucked away...right?

Where did you find the 20 inch front tire? Is it old or new (age not condition) ? The 20 inch front tire always intrigued me.
make1go
7/29/2018 4:08am
greart build......amazing effort...

unfortunately they were still using left over nsr500 frame spars..

never riden the sec gen frames, first and third and there was no comparison....

HenryA
7/29/2018 4:32am
That's a really good looking bike and such a great story too!
Helder
7/29/2018 4:38am
Amazing, been following this thread for a long time HOF stuff I think!
slowgti
7/29/2018 4:42am
Best bike build I’ve ever seen, spectacular!
doofy
7/29/2018 11:43am
What's the little thing that extends forward from thr kill switch toward the clutch lever? Amazing bike.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
7/29/2018 12:03pm
Extremely nice. Awesome work.
mxBryan
7/29/2018 1:09pm
Happy as a kid seeing this bike finished ! Glad you managed to find all the parts required.

It was a pleasure following this build and the good part is it brought us together and help eachother out finding parts for our 00/01 RC replicas !
7/29/2018 4:39pm
make1go wrote:
greart build......amazing effort... unfortunately they were still using left over nsr500 frame spars.. never riden the sec gen frames, first and third and there was no...
greart build......amazing effort...

unfortunately they were still using left over nsr500 frame spars..

never riden the sec gen frames, first and third and there was no comparison....

Each gen frame was a step forward, but the difference is biggest between the 1st and 2nd gen. The wall thickness of the gen 1 was way to thick and rigid. Your hands and feet would vibrate and go numb. Gen 2 cured most of that and it also turned a little better (a lot better with the 21" front wheel), and the 3rd gen was a slight further improvement in nimbleness and steering preciseness.
7/29/2018 4:42pm
doofy wrote:
What's the little thing that extends forward from thr kill switch toward the clutch lever? Amazing bike.
not sure what you are referring to. Nothing unusual going on there. I will add an ignition advance button, there, though.
Chance1216
7/30/2018 6:11am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2018 7:07am
Makes me love the 01s even more. You brought out the best in your bike. I have a lot of respect for what you Have done. Beautiful.
7/30/2018 9:29am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 6:02am
GODZILLA wrote:
Absolutely amazing and really beautiful.
Woohoo
Sorry, I didn't read the whole other topic, where the hell did you find a front 20" tire?
It is next to impossible to find a 20" tire these days. No manufacturer has made a 20" tire since about 2008-2010. There is no old stock left anywhere and not even an occasional ebay ad for an NOS tire now an them. Honda does have a lot of unsold 20" rims and spokes, though. In my search, I did buy an NOS 20" from a race team where some of my HRC parts come from. However, it is a Pirelli tire and I hesitated to put Dunlop tire decals on a Pirelli tire, so I decided to use one of the 3 used 20" Dunlops I had on hand, 2 which were in great condition. I have been using the 20" tire for a long time, and in fact I think I was the first person outside of the race team to get the 20" set up in Japan. It was only really available for a single year and the forks are longer on the 2001 than a 2000 to allow for the 20" option. It makes a dramatic difference in cornering, hitting supercross type woops and hard jump landings. That's the positives. The negatives is that this tire can be a nightmare with mud and ruts. It floats and slides on the top of mud and tries to climb out of ruts. It was my tire of choice for hard pack (what I usually ride), and that was the key for me... I don't do mud anymore.
7/31/2018 11:53am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 2:28pm
The following pics were taken with a much better camera and shows the detail better. The bike was built to look at and a lot of detail didn't get captured with the iPhone camera. The sun kept going in and out making the picture talking more of a challenge..

The Ergal hubs are really a thing of beauty and a good reason this bike should never see dirt again.. I don't think your would ever get them that shiny again.. they are like jewelry. These things are really fat and indicative of the technology of the time which really makes them a standout and interesting eye candy.

HRC Kevlar silencer..

A glimpse of the rose gold Ti nitrate shock shaft, polished Kashima coated body, and titanium spring

A Honda Japan works bike of the period would not be complete without the "Enjoy IT!" sticker

A peek at the Showa works forks caps.

Some new side shots

The clutch cover finally stopped gassing out and the finish has stabilized after the acid treatment.

Chance1216
7/31/2018 8:20pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 8:21pm
Out of curiosity what was the total cost of this build? If you don't care to respond I totally get it. I would never ride it either. I sit my garage staring at my bike thinking wow. That's mine. I can't imagine the Pride and joy you have with that beautiful machine. I would rather look at pictures of your bike then pictures of bikes covered in today's magazines. NOW THAT'S A HONDA!!!!
Adam43
7/31/2018 8:41pm
You did an incredible job, but I sure hope you ride the bike!
7/31/2018 9:23pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Out of curiosity what was the total cost of this build? If you don't care to respond I totally get it. I would never ride it...
Out of curiosity what was the total cost of this build? If you don't care to respond I totally get it. I would never ride it either. I sit my garage staring at my bike thinking wow. That's mine. I can't imagine the Pride and joy you have with that beautiful machine. I would rather look at pictures of your bike then pictures of bikes covered in today's magazines. NOW THAT'S A HONDA!!!!
I really don't know and could easily guestimate but would rather not. I know I spent over $1k just getting the right stickers, suspension polishing and Kashima coating in Japan, Ti Nitrate and hard anodize on suspension is another $2k.. don't even start on the costs of the NOS HRC parts as that is significant, even the OEM parts are NOS.. that is a rare NOS seat on there along with the fuel tank. I already had the mint bike to start with and the works Showa forks that I sent back from Japan when I relocated back to the US.. and it is not just the money, it is hundreds of hours.. not working on the bike, but researching and tracking down rare parts.

I will ride the bike.. up and down the street a few times a year Smile A never understand the guys that restore an engine and never start it.. engines were made to run and will be healthier in 10 years if they were started twice a year than if never started. As much as I would like to spin a few laps on this bike in its current form, it would be a travesty to expose some of these rare parts to that kind of risk.. especially the Kevlar silencer which appears to have never been used.

I did ride my CRF450 last weekend and that has a bunch of NOS HRC parts also, and that was still hard, but those parts are not as rare as these parts from almost 20 years ago. I am an old MXer and my riding days are really over, so time to just build and look at them.. and stay out of a wheelchair.
7/31/2018 11:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 11:03pm
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I am still looking for a couple more HRC parts.. the rear brake pedal and the right titanium foot peg or another set (I only have the left HRC foot peg at the moment). If you read this and have these parts, I have a nice home for them SmileSmile
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Chance1216
8/1/2018 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2018 6:45pm
Well bud. Its been a pleasure following this build. Tribute bike or replica. You've built something special and something most people will never see. Thank you for answering my questions along the way. I've learned quite a bit watching this closely. You'll never know how many times I got yelled at by the wife reading this thread over the past few months.
Wife: Your not even listening to me! Are you looking at that red bike again?
Me: Huh?I'm sorry what??
Take care..TOKYO TIDDLER.
8/2/2018 12:21am
Chance1216 wrote:
Well bud. Its been a pleasure following this build. Tribute bike or replica. You've built something special and something most people will never see. Thank you...
Well bud. Its been a pleasure following this build. Tribute bike or replica. You've built something special and something most people will never see. Thank you for answering my questions along the way. I've learned quite a bit watching this closely. You'll never know how many times I got yelled at by the wife reading this thread over the past few months.
Wife: Your not even listening to me! Are you looking at that red bike again?
Me: Huh?I'm sorry what??
Take care..TOKYO TIDDLER.
hahaha.. your post made my day! Thanks Bud!

mike
12/22/2018 11:10am
Wife just got done scolding me. I caught both these threads way late. awesome bike.
user760a
12/23/2018 7:10am
That is awesome

I have fond memories of the 2000 Honda. Great bike
12/23/2018 7:20am
I will have to redo these finished pics.. too many new works parts being added.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
12/23/2018 7:21am
Excellent rebuild and well done to you Sir.
rockyuno
12/23/2018 9:49am
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that thing of a beauty.
Please make a video when you start it, must sound nice as it looks

Post a reply to: Japan 2000 RC250M factory replica - finished pics from 2001 $pecical restoration build thread

The Latest