Jeremy McGraths bike problems in 97

7/20/2019 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2019 1:35pm
So what was the story about his throttle cable being installed wrong? I listened to the decoster interview and never did hear the story? I have an issue of MXA where it says Wyatt Seals was “demoted to tire changer” and Skip was brought back. I hope poor Wyatt wasn’t the tire changer when McGrath had that flat that cost him the 97 s championship lol. Matter of fact, someone here on vital alluded to the fact the “In 97 McGrath’s mechanic was installing the transmissions wrong on the Suzuki which was really why McGrath kept braking transmissions”. Also Wyatt?
|
Robgvx
7/20/2019 3:57pm
Asked for a Honda throttle. Honda throttle fitted. Later discovered Honda throttle didn’t open the slide all the way....

That’s a story I heard.
ridge
7/20/2019 4:29pm
On top of using the wrong throttle as mentioned above, Wyatt was assembling the clutch wrong all year...MC kept smoking clutches.
Park Boys
Fantasy
53rd
7/20/2019 4:29pm
So what was the story about his throttle cable being installed wrong? I listened to the decoster interview and never did hear the story? I have...
So what was the story about his throttle cable being installed wrong? I listened to the decoster interview and never did hear the story? I have an issue of MXA where it says Wyatt Seals was “demoted to tire changer” and Skip was brought back. I hope poor Wyatt wasn’t the tire changer when McGrath had that flat that cost him the 97 s championship lol. Matter of fact, someone here on vital alluded to the fact the “In 97 McGrath’s mechanic was installing the transmissions wrong on the Suzuki which was really why McGrath kept braking transmissions”. Also Wyatt?
He lost the title by 15 points. Charlotte was not the reason he lost.

The Shop

whammy
7/20/2019 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2019 4:42pm
Park Boys wrote:
JACKPOT!

Racer111
7/20/2019 4:43pm
So what was the story about his throttle cable being installed wrong? I listened to the decoster interview and never did hear the story? I have...
Park Boys wrote:
There were lots of bike issues. If you read his book he even points to Wyatt not really having his head in the game. The flat tire was just ONE of the many bike issues.
7/20/2019 4:57pm
I don't know if this is entirely correct but I do also remember reading that there was (predictably really) a bit of agro between McGrath and Larocco, especially over forks. Mike tried some new design but didn't like the feel (initially) - Jeremy on the other hand did but then Mike wanted to try them again but it was too late etc... Not a good atmosphere. Even Greg, who of course saw his career out with Suzuki, had to admit that for a long time the bike and team were not where it needed to be. That said Jeremy did win some races and still came pretty close ultimately. Too little too late.

JAFO92
7/20/2019 5:18pm
Park Boys wrote:
He lost ground when he tangled with Lamson early in the season. Along with the flat, those were the main reason he lost. They did ask the Factory to change a few things with the engine to suit JMGs preferences and they were slow to act on the request, but the main points killers were those two events. Considering he called Roger only a few weeks before A1, its a wonder they did as well as they did.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/20/2019 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2019 5:36pm
McGrath said the bike was slow and he got great starts on it only because it hooked up without the extra power to be wasted on wheel spin. Larocco was pissed because they let McGrath use upside down forks and he had to use the Suzuki non inverted forks and then Lamson took McGrath out twice at the season opener.
ATKpilot99
7/20/2019 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2019 5:56pm
I think Emig would have dominated outdoors that season no matter what . That SX season was close though.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
7/20/2019 6:09pm
MC raced a YZ250 the next year and won 3 straight.

The Suzuki race bike needed a lot to get up to his level. The facts are he started on the bike just weeks prior to A1, the team had zero prep time, Lamson went wild at A1 affecting MC, then his mechanic was not on Skip’s level apparently.

I wonder if he would have signed with suzuki earlier if Roger and the team could have stepped up their program like they did when RC went there. With the proper prep time both bike and rider can do their best.
loftyair
7/20/2019 6:19pm
Lamson took mc out twice at a1, then the flat screwed him too. If anyone of those 3 things didnt happen, Jeremy would have been king!
reded
7/20/2019 6:36pm
Had he won the title they may have thrown a dickload of money at him to stay. He was over it and wanted out but enough money may have swayed his opinion, forcing him to ride the pooch for a few more seasons, ruining his king status. I feel it worked out the way it should have, except for that KTM stint. Yamaha should be ashamed for not letting him finish his career with them.
cable
7/20/2019 7:13pm
It was also wyatts fault that the stock bikes right off the dealership floor were braking kickstarters and transmissions. Remember Mcgrath hiring pro circuit to help make his bikes faster,, when decoster couldnt. also wyatts fault. what about Larocco walking out of pontiac sx before it started? Those bikes were garbage. How the hell would you even install a clutch wrong? I think those baskets were a lot smaller than a honda.
7/20/2019 7:27pm
I owned a 97 and the clutch was garbage, so I don’t think it needed help breaking.
Racer111
7/20/2019 7:28pm
lostboy819 wrote:
McGrath said the bike was slow and he got great starts on it only because it hooked up without the extra power to be wasted on...
McGrath said the bike was slow and he got great starts on it only because it hooked up without the extra power to be wasted on wheel spin. Larocco was pissed because they let McGrath use upside down forks and he had to use the Suzuki non inverted forks and then Lamson took McGrath out twice at the season opener.
McGrath didn’t start using those Forks until Minneapolis. He took the forks off one of his old Honda practice bikes. (That’s what he said in his book anyway.)
Texas Built
7/20/2019 7:42pm
Wasnt the crap Suzuk clutches what put Hinson on the map when they became the cure for the crap Suzuki clutches?
captmoto
7/20/2019 7:49pm
Wasn't there a broken handlebar too that resulted in a DNF?
7/20/2019 8:20pm
captmoto wrote:
Pretty sure that was on yamaha
Crush
7/20/2019 8:53pm
Didn’t they go over these on the Whiskey throttle show? There was a few things I think?
ridge
7/20/2019 9:14pm
cable wrote:
It was also wyatts fault that the stock bikes right off the dealership floor were braking kickstarters and transmissions. Remember Mcgrath hiring pro circuit to help...
It was also wyatts fault that the stock bikes right off the dealership floor were braking kickstarters and transmissions. Remember Mcgrath hiring pro circuit to help make his bikes faster,, when decoster couldnt. also wyatts fault. what about Larocco walking out of pontiac sx before it started? Those bikes were garbage. How the hell would you even install a clutch wrong? I think those baskets were a lot smaller than a honda.
You really should listen to the Whiskey Throttle Show when they had DeCoster on.
7/20/2019 9:55pm
I listened and never heard any of this. I may have accidentally skipped over it by accident
Talisker
7/21/2019 8:55am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2019 8:55am
With Jeremy jumping ship last minute development was behind. That entire Supercross season was basically testing. Statements have been made that the bike was where it needed to be, or in the ball park, at the end of the Supercross season.
The damage was already done. Not to mention his mechanics off the track personal issues/indevors.
Just think if he would have won that year. He may have ended his career at Suzuki.
The history books would definitely be different.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
7/21/2019 10:31am
There was no A1. It was the Coliseum. X2
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/21/2019 10:41am
captmoto wrote:
No, that was a broke triple clamp and it was Yamaha and he still won the championship that year.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/21/2019 3:40pm
captmoto wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
No, that was a broke triple clamp and it was Yamaha and he still won the championship that year.
Correct. First season for Renthal Twinwalls. The bars were stronger than the clamps.
seventeen
7/21/2019 4:10pm
Robgvx wrote:
Asked for a Honda throttle. Honda throttle fitted. Later discovered Honda throttle didn’t open the slide all the way....

That’s a story I heard.
I mean who installs a throttle cable and does not look down the bore to see if the slide or valve is not opening fully? On multiple weeks at that! This cannot be true...
245MX
Fantasy
782nd
7/22/2019 6:05am
Another thing I don't think anybody has mentioned. He had a slim shot at taking the title at the final round in Vegas but in the week prior cut his foot badly on some glass in a restaurant. I also think there was a mud race late in the season where he struggled. I always remember the Las Vegas final round because that's where Doug Henry rode the four stroke for the first time in supercross and won!
toomanykaws
7/22/2019 7:14am
I like when MC said Wyatt was too busy chasing tail. The WOT deal with the Honda throttle. That's crazy. Guess that was an early version of traction control.
McG194
7/22/2019 9:50am
lostboy819 wrote:
McGrath said the bike was slow and he got great starts on it only because it hooked up without the extra power to be wasted on...
If MC wanted to run an Earles fork, you get the factory to start making them.

If any other rider wanted to cry about MC getting special treatment all they have to do is be the greatest Supercross racer that ever lived then they would be the one getting special treatment not Jeremy.

Post a reply to: Jeremy McGraths bike problems in 97

The Latest