Jlaw sightings and stories

motogrady
8/16/2018 1:52pm
kage173 wrote:
I've always hated the term 'natural talent'. People can be athletic and have athletic genes, but nobody is naturally atuned to racing a motorcycle. What it...
I've always hated the term 'natural talent'. People can be athletic and have athletic genes, but nobody is naturally atuned to racing a motorcycle. What it actually is, is that when they were young they rode constantly and they actually took the time to learn the proper technique. So, when they ride it looks easy to them, but only because they are doing it the right way. People think they aren't trying, but they put in the work when they were kids.

That's why a lot former pro riders' kids get that label (Christian Craig, Hanny) because they are taught the proper form the day they start and never know how to ride the wrong way.

I've always felt it was a disservice to someone to say they were naturally talented. Rant over.
I don't agree.
More IQ to figure stuff out, quick reaction time,
better than most hand to eye coordination, above average confidence to to point of being cocky,
determination........God given things that can sometimes, yes, be overcome with stellar work effort.........that's talent.
Forty
8/16/2018 2:19pm
Paul333 wrote:
I could not care less.
About what?
8/16/2018 2:39pm
How about the time he wanted to ride the Honda or Yamaha SX track so he cut the fence then gave them 2k cash.
Forty
8/16/2018 2:49pm
kage173 wrote:
I've always hated the term 'natural talent'. People can be athletic and have athletic genes, but nobody is naturally atuned to racing a motorcycle. What it...
I've always hated the term 'natural talent'. People can be athletic and have athletic genes, but nobody is naturally atuned to racing a motorcycle. What it actually is, is that when they were young they rode constantly and they actually took the time to learn the proper technique. So, when they ride it looks easy to them, but only because they are doing it the right way. People think they aren't trying, but they put in the work when they were kids.

That's why a lot former pro riders' kids get that label (Christian Craig, Hanny) because they are taught the proper form the day they start and never know how to ride the wrong way.

I've always felt it was a disservice to someone to say they were naturally talented. Rant over.
I agree with most what you have here however I'm convinced that there is a percentage of athletes, in this case motorcycle racers, that have an intangible that cannot be taught.

I think you're talking about a learned skill that has been honed over time and repetition to perfection, like a Ryan Dungey IMO. He has natural ability of course, however he fine tuned his skill to a point that was near flawless, making him the champion that he is.

I believe there are athletes with "it" that separates them from the other skilled athletes and is also recognizable when you see it in action. It may be an expanded physiological thing that very few receive, I don't know however I think I know it when I see it and Lawrence had it, Ron Lechien had it, JMB, TP, James, Herlings appears to have it, I've never seen him race live, I thought Magoo had it the first time I saw him ride however I was awestruck, Arlo Englund had it, and a few more.

I'm sure there will be some to jump in with some more examples.

The Shop

Lightning78
8/16/2018 3:00pm
A friend of mine ran with SOME of the same people back when he was on top of the moto 250 world and the year he won his 250 sx title....going into vegas right before rolling up to the starting line for the 250 shootout he took some Ecstasy thinking he would be good for the race and it would start kicking in right after the race was over and I cant remember if he took it too early or was on the starting line too long after taking it but it hit him full force in the middle of the race....likely due to the accelerated heart rate it moved through his system faster than if someone had just taken it waiting 30-45mins on the couch for it to kick in. Well we all know he pulled off during the race and rode straight back to the truck right?

He had to because the E he had taken came on full force during the race and he was having trouble riding a full blown sx track rolling like he was...thats why he pulled off during that race.
Flip109
8/16/2018 3:12pm
A friend of mine ran with SOME of the same people back when he was on top of the moto 250 world and the year he...
A friend of mine ran with SOME of the same people back when he was on top of the moto 250 world and the year he won his 250 sx title....going into vegas right before rolling up to the starting line for the 250 shootout he took some Ecstasy thinking he would be good for the race and it would start kicking in right after the race was over and I cant remember if he took it too early or was on the starting line too long after taking it but it hit him full force in the middle of the race....likely due to the accelerated heart rate it moved through his system faster than if someone had just taken it waiting 30-45mins on the couch for it to kick in. Well we all know he pulled off during the race and rode straight back to the truck right?

He had to because the E he had taken came on full force during the race and he was having trouble riding a full blown sx track rolling like he was...thats why he pulled off during that race.
If this is true Holy crap lol
CG118
8/16/2018 3:43pm
Wait. Who was that? What year?
murph783
8/16/2018 3:45pm
A friend of mine ran with SOME of the same people back when he was on top of the moto 250 world and the year he...

I hope this is true lol. Can you imagine if he won? Rolling on the podium would have made for a hell of an interview
HenryA
8/16/2018 3:55pm
^ Holy shit that's a good story! Probably the only champ that has taken E before the start of a race Grinning
Dtat720
8/16/2018 4:06pm
Someone on here has to know the hookers in a ditch in Georgia story....
davistld01
8/16/2018 4:07pm
Rooster wrote:
Ron Lechien would like to dispute that claim I'm sure. He accomplished more than JLaw, but there's more than a few similarities to those two. Especially...
Ron Lechien would like to dispute that claim I'm sure.

He accomplished more than JLaw, but there's more than a few similarities to those two. Especially when it comes to the natural talent part.
The main difference between JLaw and Ronnie Lechien is the respect Lechien had for those he raced against...and the fact that JLaw had no respect for anybody at all, on the track or off it.
deluxeman
8/16/2018 4:07pm
kage173 wrote:

I disagree with this statement. Michael Jordan had natural talent in spades, every top MX racer has natural talent in spades. Mark Marquez in MotoGP has a train car load of natural talent. Eddie Van Halen has natural talent.

You can teach anyone with average cognitive skills to do most tasks. If they have determination to master those skills, they can master the skill. But can they do it a the highest level? The answer is always No, if they lack natural talent. I can drag my knee on a street bike, I can shoot a basketball, I can play a few musical instruments. I, however will never be at the level of a Marquez, Rossi, Jordan,or Van Halen. Why? Because I lack the amount of natural talent that makes a good rider/player a great rider/player. You can teach technique but you can't teach talent. Good technique only makes to a good technical rider, it doesn't make you an elite rider.

Children of former racers have two things that give them a huge head start. 1. Genetics, they share their genes with someone that has that natural ability. They don't always get it, but their chances are better than average. 2. They are immersed in the lifestyle, they see how to do the task from a different perspective than your average person.

Olympic runners are a perfect example of genetics and talent. You can't teach speed, either you are fast or your not.
Gale19XX
8/16/2018 4:26pm
I got a jersey for ya. How much you willing to dent your bank account?
tkimb
8/16/2018 4:53pm
kage173 wrote:

deluxeman wrote:
I disagree with this statement. Michael Jordan had natural talent in spades, every top MX racer has natural talent in spades. Mark Marquez in MotoGP has...
I disagree with this statement. Michael Jordan had natural talent in spades, every top MX racer has natural talent in spades. Mark Marquez in MotoGP has a train car load of natural talent. Eddie Van Halen has natural talent.

You can teach anyone with average cognitive skills to do most tasks. If they have determination to master those skills, they can master the skill. But can they do it a the highest level? The answer is always No, if they lack natural talent. I can drag my knee on a street bike, I can shoot a basketball, I can play a few musical instruments. I, however will never be at the level of a Marquez, Rossi, Jordan,or Van Halen. Why? Because I lack the amount of natural talent that makes a good rider/player a great rider/player. You can teach technique but you can't teach talent. Good technique only makes to a good technical rider, it doesn't make you an elite rider.

Children of former racers have two things that give them a huge head start. 1. Genetics, they share their genes with someone that has that natural ability. They don't always get it, but their chances are better than average. 2. They are immersed in the lifestyle, they see how to do the task from a different perspective than your average person.

Olympic runners are a perfect example of genetics and talent. You can't teach speed, either you are fast or your not.
Agreed. There is something natural there, maybe not exactly "talent" but it gives them more talent when they do something. Olympic runners is the perfect example, fast and slow twitch muscles etc. Or strongmen. 99% of people could not be a professional strongman no matter how much they trained and ate, they would get big but not to that level.
mag250
8/16/2018 6:20pm
Rooster wrote:
Ron Lechien would like to dispute that claim I'm sure. He accomplished more than JLaw, but there's more than a few similarities to those two. Especially...
Ron Lechien would like to dispute that claim I'm sure.

He accomplished more than JLaw, but there's more than a few similarities to those two. Especially when it comes to the natural talent part.
davistld01 wrote:
The main difference between JLaw and Ronnie Lechien is the respect Lechien had for those he raced against...and the fact that JLaw had no respect for...
The main difference between JLaw and Ronnie Lechien is the respect Lechien had for those he raced against...and the fact that JLaw had no respect for anybody at all, on the track or off it.
How much money did you donate to Magoo's van fund ?
8/16/2018 6:59pm

I'm rewatching it now. It was pretty funny to see him enjoying himself out there, he was whipping it a lot. While RV and Dungey battled for the win...
jemcee
8/16/2018 10:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2018 10:16pm
A lot of people get worked up about him but then claim to not care.. I'm a fan! I just love how his every moment was spent taking the piss haha.. I was also a fan of Dungey but the way Jlaw was fucking with him made me laugh..

There's a story that in that year he jumped the Suzuki test track fence, cut a few laps then did a burnout spelling 1W and left haha

Oh edit: Was gonna mention the times he went out of his way to help people.. Like the magoo donation and he let someone ride one of his bikes when theirs broke down at a sx (can't remember who)
8/16/2018 10:41pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2018 10:46pm
his rookie outdoor season I spent the better part of a day with him through a mutual friend during washougal amateur days.

I Wasn't a fan of how he acted personally and he still owes me 6.00 from the concession stand where he then bought sour candy licorice and pepsi fountain soda the day before riding the national.

I loved his riding style, antics, and excitement but as far as hanging out goes no one in our group besides the mutual friend could stand to be around him much longer at the end of the day. then again though most 16/17 year olds are shit heads anyways lol

edit* I do have huge respect for the fact that he donated to get magoo his handicap van!
Subotai
8/16/2018 11:17pm
kage173 wrote:

deluxeman wrote:
I disagree with this statement. Michael Jordan had natural talent in spades, every top MX racer has natural talent in spades. Mark Marquez in MotoGP has...

Everyone arguing this point of natural talent vs hard work needs to read the book outliers. Explains it all.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
8/16/2018 11:37pm

FuzzyLogic
8/17/2018 7:01am
There is a podcast Matthes did with one of his former team managers that is pretty good. It was at a time where the team was J Law, Stroupe...and one more I forget. However, the guy goes on to give a few stories about J Law. There is one where they are at a track and he goes to the top of this hill where there are some tractor tires, picks them up, and rolls them down a hill just narrowly missing some kids....and proceeds to laugh like a maniac
Moto Mofo
8/17/2018 2:44pm

I’ve heard the same story.
Moto Mofo
8/17/2018 3:04pm
Remember when he pulled off mid-moto at Budds Creek and rode over to the track that’s next to the National track, and hit the whoops a few times before taking a breather? Then he jumped back in and finished the moto. Funny stuff.
peelout
8/17/2018 3:20pm
one year at Whitney every time i saw him he had a different track snack hanging on him. i bet i saw him with 8 different girls over the week. we had to walk right past his pits to get to ours. dude seemed to be enjoying himself even in the amateur days. he was the fastest guy there, over Villopoto, Weimer, Davalos, Albertson.

i was racing the pro-sport class (got my ass kicked) and finally sacked up to triple into the rhythm in the middle and was pretty stoked on it. next moto i watch Lawrence jump 5 in and just bounce of the 6th wide open sideways hanging off the back. every lap. kid was next level.
milliebays
8/17/2018 4:08pm
kage173 wrote:

hang out in the Karting scene awhile and tell me there's no such thing as natural talent.
murph783
8/17/2018 4:25pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
Remember when he pulled off mid-moto at Budds Creek and rode over to the track that’s next to the National track, and hit the whoops a...
Remember when he pulled off mid-moto at Budds Creek and rode over to the track that’s next to the National track, and hit the whoops a few times before taking a breather? Then he jumped back in and finished the moto. Funny stuff.
Never heard that one, that’s good lol

Post a reply to: Jlaw sightings and stories

The Latest