John Tomac and DC

Dougy1
Edited Date/Time 9/7/2019 2:19am
Both different pods but guy b’s interview with John Tomac (which is awesome listening to his career) and the pulp show with DC, both give great insight into the reasons why MXON is so difficult for US based riders to compete in,
Well worth a listen to get a more balanced opinion.
|
8/30/2019 5:50am
This is Vital. We don't do "balanced." Your opinion must be extreme to one side or we drum you out of the VBT.
500guy
8/30/2019 5:56am
Incite =encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).

Insight = the capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing.
Dougy1
8/30/2019 5:59am
500guy wrote:
Incite =encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).

Insight = the capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing.
Cheers I was patiently waiting for the correction.. 😂
500guy
8/30/2019 6:02am
Dougy1 wrote:
Cheers I was patiently waiting for the correction.. 😂
Right on, We are like circus animals always on que. Cool

The Shop

brocster
8/30/2019 7:09am
Nah dudes, its easy to switch its just switching the name sx <—> mx. See how easy that was. typing is easy so everything else must be as well...
500guy
8/30/2019 7:52am
How was this never a problem when USA was mopping the floor with every other nation?
Yep.
This is just as stupid excuse as the Number of races excuse.

The American Riders and Teams have had issues with this race since at least 1999 , this is nothing new.

The Cost / Timing of the event doesn't equal the reward.
robkinuk
8/30/2019 7:59am
How was this never a problem when USA was mopping the floor with every other nation?
Good point! Back then it was an annual "dick measuring" contest to somehow prove Team USA riders were better equipped than the GP guys ?
Now when Team USA is even lucky to get a sniff of the podium, suddenly the world revolves around a fantasy big bucks race in Vegas ???
8/30/2019 8:07am
500guy wrote:
This is just as stupid excuse as the Number of races excuse. The American Riders and Teams have had issues with this race since at least...

The American Riders and Teams have had issues with this race since at least 1999 , this is nothing new.

No one ever said it was easy. A person who you would all see as an icon in the sport said that he went and sacrificed his time, risked getting hurt, and got paid nothing, but still went because it was an honor to do so. The logistics have always been there but were never used as reasons for not going until a little after 2011, so I'm sure you'll understand why the rest of the world sees it as nothing but excuses.
500guy
8/30/2019 8:16am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2019 8:16am
No one ever said it was easy. A person who you would all see as an icon in the sport said that he went and sacrificed...
No one ever said it was easy. A person who you would all see as an icon in the sport said that he went and sacrificed his time, risked getting hurt, and got paid nothing, but still went because it was an honor to do so. The logistics have always been there but were never used as reasons for not going until a little after 2011, so I'm sure you'll understand why the rest of the world sees it as nothing but excuses.
I see it for what it is, You and Luongo expect the USA based riders to entertain you for free and use the bullshit excuse that if USA based riders and teams don't want to do it, they are somehow cowards.

The people who want to be there will be there, the others won't , So get the fuck over it.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/30/2019 8:17am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2019 11:58am
Please, God. Make it stop!
I hate to generalize, but imagine how much more palatable this place would be if GuyB would click all of the miserable Brits for 3 months starting Aug 1 every year.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/30/2019 8:18am
robkinuk wrote:
Good point! Back then it was an annual "dick measuring" contest to somehow prove Team USA riders were better equipped than the GP guys ? Now...
Good point! Back then it was an annual "dick measuring" contest to somehow prove Team USA riders were better equipped than the GP guys ?
Now when Team USA is even lucky to get a sniff of the podium, suddenly the world revolves around a fantasy big bucks race in Vegas ???
Another one ^^^
kb228
8/30/2019 8:22am
500guy wrote:
This is just as stupid excuse as the Number of races excuse. The American Riders and Teams have had issues with this race since at least...

No one ever said it was easy. A person who you would all see as an icon in the sport said that he went and sacrificed...
After losing 3 supercross titles in a row when he should have won all 3, dont you think kawasaki is tired of screwing around and wants eli to focus on the title? That title is #1 priority for every OEM. MXDN is #4 after both motocross series.

When youre dumping millions of dollars for a supercross title, and you lose 3 years in a row, its time to cut the crap and get it done. Laser focus is required to win.

Adam cant be messing around on a 250 when he himself needs to be ready on the 450 for MEC.
DC
8/30/2019 8:36am
robkinuk wrote:
Good point! Back then it was an annual "dick measuring" contest to somehow prove Team USA riders were better equipped than the GP guys ? Now...
Rob, it's always been a problem. See 1979. Or 1980. Or 1992. Or 2004. Or 2016... And that big bucks race in Las Vegas didn't pay a million-dollar bonus ten years ago, did it? And it's not just Team USA, as Team Germany might tell you. A lot has changed in America, a lot has changed in Europe. And we will keep going through this every September until something drastic happens -- as if no AMA SX/MX champions going in a given year like this one isn't drastic enough.

DC
Racer X

8/30/2019 8:43am
500guy wrote:
I see it for what it is, You and Luongo expect the USA based riders to entertain you for free and use the bullshit excuse that...
I see it for what it is, You and Luongo expect the USA based riders to entertain you for free and use the bullshit excuse that if USA based riders and teams don't want to do it, they are somehow cowards.

The people who want to be there will be there, the others won't , So get the fuck over it.
None of the riders get paid, and that has never been what the race has been about for the racers. Move the MEC to a venue in Europe and I'll bet money, travel, schedules, prep time, etc. would no longer be an issue...that is until the GP guys started winning.
DC
8/30/2019 8:49am
500guy wrote:
I see it for what it is, You and Luongo expect the USA based riders to entertain you for free and use the bullshit excuse that...

None of the riders get paid, and that has never been what the race has been about for the racers. Move the MEC to a venue...
None of the riders get paid, and that has never been what the race has been about for the racers. Move the MEC to a venue in Europe and I'll bet money, travel, schedules, prep time, etc. would no longer be an issue...that is until the GP guys started winning.
And that's the thing, prizefighter: The Europeans will get clobbered if they come to the MEC or Anaheim because they barely ever ride supercross, but if they rode SX for 2/3 of a year, there would be more enthusiasm for that type of racing, right?

DC
Racer X
GangGreen
8/30/2019 9:11am
The Outdoor AMA National at Gainesville Florida was in the middle of the Supercross season back then as well. Boy, if that schedule returned there'd be a bunch of riders crying.

Credit: RacerX Magazine Archives
8/30/2019 9:19am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2019 9:20am
GangGreen wrote:
The Outdoor AMA National at Gainesville Florida was in the middle of the Supercross season back then as well. Boy, if that schedule returned there'd be...
The Outdoor AMA National at Gainesville Florida was in the middle of the Supercross season back then as well. Boy, if that schedule returned there'd be a bunch of riders crying.

David Bailey raced the usgp in 83 while leading the sx points, with races left to go. But they are right about one thing, it doesn't matter because the national champs aren't going so it's time to start cheering for the riders who are.
zehn
8/30/2019 9:22am
GangGreen wrote:
The Outdoor AMA National at Gainesville Florida was in the middle of the Supercross season back then as well. Boy, if that schedule returned there'd be...

And it died because riders and teams didn’t want to make the trip. Doesn’t exactly help to bring that up
Matthes
8/30/2019 9:36am
It was a problem, no team in 2004, no team in the late 70's for a couple of years. I went in 2003 and funding was tight. And also, plenty of greats like Bradshaw, MC, Stanton all skipped this race after being asked. No different than guys now.
zehn
8/30/2019 9:37am
Matthes wrote:
It was a problem, no team in 2004, no team in the late 70's for a couple of years. I went in 2003 and funding was...
It was a problem, no team in 2004, no team in the late 70's for a couple of years. I went in 2003 and funding was tight. And also, plenty of greats like Bradshaw, MC, Stanton all skipped this race after being asked. No different than guys now.
This point needs to be made more often
DC
8/30/2019 9:38am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2019 9:44am
Anyone remember the 1999 250cc U.S. Grand Prix at Budds Creek? It was on September 12, one week after the last AMA National. There was a major uproar because most of the top AMA-based riders skipped it: Doug Henry was retiring, Ricky Carmichael was moving up to a 250, Ezra Lusk and Mike LaRocco wanted to take a break, etc..,

Kevin Windham, Robbie Reynard, Greg Albertyn and Sebastien Tortelli all decided to go. Windham was inspired by Everts calling the Americans out, and he ended up winning. It was a pretty cool deal, but not really a big race, and no one really called them out for not going. But that was the end of the USGP at Budds Creek.

Later there would be USGPs at Glen Helen, Charlotte and WW Ranch, and the interest of AMA-based riders was tepid at best, and this was right after the season here ended. Those USGPs all ended too.

I don't really have a point, other than to point out that these guys really race a lot and don't want to do a lot of extra races, whether it's the MXON, a USGP or even the Monster Cup, but sometimes they are forced to go. This time, neither Kawasaki nor Monster are forcing their guys to go, and Honda's not forcing Roczen either. So they aren't going. Let's cheer for the ones who are, and let the ones that aren't enjoy their limited time off.

DC
Racer X
zehn
8/30/2019 9:43am
DC at this point I’m surprised you even respond to these threads anymore. People either agree with it or not. The loudest just happen to mainly come from a certain island country in the North Atlantic
DC
8/30/2019 9:45am
zehn wrote:
DC at this point I’m surprised you even respond to these threads anymore. People either agree with it or not. The loudest just happen to mainly...
DC at this point I’m surprised you even respond to these threads anymore. People either agree with it or not. The loudest just happen to mainly come from a certain island country in the North Atlantic
Ugh, and it's only the first Friday of the off-season... But I get their frustration.

DC
Racer X
8/30/2019 10:08am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2019 10:10am
Matthes wrote:
It was a problem, no team in 2004, no team in the late 70's for a couple of years. I went in 2003 and funding was...
And what did Stanton say about declining to ride for the mxon that year? He said he regretted it, that's what he said. That's big time cool of Stanton to admit because he's big time awesome, and it should be a big time clue for those who decline to go. The opportunity to race and represent one's country is big time stuff. It's too bad others don't see that.
Nighttrain
8/30/2019 10:08am
GrapeApe wrote:
I hate to generalize, but imagine how much more palatable this place would be if GuyB would click all of the miserable Brits for 3 months...
I hate to generalize, but imagine how much more palatable this place would be if GuyB would click all of the miserable Brits for 3 months starting Aug 1 every year.
This is the best comment I’ve seen in this forum in a very long time. Maybe ever.

Post a reply to: John Tomac and DC

The Latest