Josh Grant

2/23/2018 6:58am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2018 8:12am
I may have missed it talked about but With no time table for his return and I think this might be his last year with Kawi under contract (could be wrong) does he hang it up? I feel he can still haul the mail but the injuries take a toll on the body.

Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Josh Grant will undergo surgery on Friday to repair a fracture in his right leg (tibia) sustained last weekend in qualifying at round seven of Monster Energy AMA Supercross in Arlington, Texas, the team announced. The team did not announce a timetable on Grant’s return.
|
Spydee
2/23/2018 7:08am
He'll be back for the nationals. Bowers is taking his spot for the supercross season.
Gilby122
2/23/2018 7:54am
His wife posted a picture of him at the hospital this morning saying heading in for #14. Gotta take its toll both mentally and physically after awhile you'd think. These guys and their desire to continue and do what they do after the injuries is probably the most impressive part of their racing if you ask me.
hamncheeze
2/23/2018 8:03am
Bummer for JG, the guy just can't quite stay healthy long enough to really string together the results. Still the most stylish guy on the bike though.
jonboy688
2/23/2018 9:53am
i would be willing to bet he is out for outdoors also, he had a pilon fracture not just a normal break

The Shop

2/23/2018 9:56am
jonboy688 wrote:
i would be willing to bet he is out for outdoors also, he had a pilon fracture not just a normal break
that's what I thought, do you think he has more in the tank? or does he ride off into the sunset?
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
2/23/2018 10:02am
jonboy688 wrote:
He’ll be ready for the nationals
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
2/23/2018 10:48am
hamncheeze wrote:
Bummer for JG, the guy just can't quite stay healthy long enough to really string together the results. Still the most stylish guy on the bike...
Bummer for JG, the guy just can't quite stay healthy long enough to really string together the results. Still the most stylish guy on the bike though.
+1
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
2/23/2018 10:56am
hard to say where he'll be come the end of the year. Most of the riders from his "class" (02-05 entry) are done racing (steward, short, millsaps, hepler notably) either just hit their limit or injuries.

If he can get a contract for next year i seen him continuing as to him its more money for his family, but he is at a point where he isnt going to race for free.

I can see Kawi keeping him 1 more year just due to cost
twotwosix
2/23/2018 11:04am
jonboy688 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
He won't man.

In a perfect situation, he could maybe be ready to get back on the bike around Hangtown. He would then need a couple weeks to get ready. I would wager we see JG back by High Point if things go well.
jonboy688
2/23/2018 1:02pm
jonboy688 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
i highly doubt it, a pilon is one of the worst ones to get, i know he will get better medical help then most normal people, but the time frame normally min of 12 weeks and a lot of times longer then that, and he don't have the best ankles either which doesn't help... i wish the best for him, and a huge fan of his, but he isn't a spring chicken anymore and i am betting and will bet 5-6 months min......
2stroked
2/23/2018 1:04pm
Pilon fractures are one of the most difficult to surgically repair and rehab. The damage done to the tibia as well as the connective tissues and ankle makes it a very lengthy rehab. Most people with pilon fractures never fully recover 100%. This isnt a standard clean break. He will be 33 this year. It'll be interesting to see how he rehabs and heals. I doubt he'll be ready for hangtown.
jonboy688
2/23/2018 1:06pm
jonboy688 wrote:
that's what I thought, do you think he has more in the tank? or does he ride off into the sunset?
i hope he has some more left in him!!! a huge fan, but there are a few contracts up this year that may bump him, i am afraid.... even thought he is a awesome 2nd tier rider with the potential to get on the box in indoors or outdoors
tek14
2/23/2018 1:51pm
Had to google what Pilon fractures are.. watching fotos made my leg hurt..
jonboy688
2/23/2018 1:57pm
tek14 wrote:
Had to google what Pilon fractures are.. watching fotos made my leg hurt..
They are no joke!!! Don’t ask me how I know!!!lol 4 months and still no weight on mine yet.

TJ 755
2/23/2018 2:33pm
live streamed his surgery. Social media is crazy these days.

Ryguy125
2/23/2018 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2018 3:03pm
hard to say where he'll be come the end of the year. Most of the riders from his "class" (02-05 entry) are done racing (steward, short...
hard to say where he'll be come the end of the year. Most of the riders from his "class" (02-05 entry) are done racing (steward, short, millsaps, hepler notably) either just hit their limit or injuries.

If he can get a contract for next year i seen him continuing as to him its more money for his family, but he is at a point where he isnt going to race for free.

Hepler actually still races (harescrambles) but hes a teacher over in PA. Dude hauls the effin mail still, thats for sure.
hamncheeze
2/23/2018 4:49pm
hard to say where he'll be come the end of the year. Most of the riders from his "class" (02-05 entry) are done racing (steward, short...

The biggest obstacle he will have with Kawi is that Joey Savatgy will most likely point out of 250s. So will Martin Davalos(!) if he can string together 8 good races. So conceivably one of them could end up at factory Kawasaki as the second rider. Salary probably would not be much different, and in Savatgy's case he's much younger. At this point AC92 is adamant that he will do another 250 season in 2019.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
2/23/2018 7:00pm
hamncheeze wrote:
The biggest obstacle he will have with Kawi is that Joey Savatgy will most likely point out of 250s. So will Martin Davalos(!) if he can...
The biggest obstacle he will have with Kawi is that Joey Savatgy will most likely point out of 250s. So will Martin Davalos(!) if he can string together 8 good races. So conceivably one of them could end up at factory Kawasaki as the second rider. Salary probably would not be much different, and in Savatgy's case he's much younger. At this point AC92 is adamant that he will do another 250 season in 2019.
If I understand the point out rules, (they change every year) if Savatgy and Davalos were to win they would get a year to defend their title. Kind of like how Hill and Osborne were able to defend their titles.
Brent
2/23/2018 8:20pm
Grant is tough as iron, and his family is super supportive.

Ill bet he still has one more year in him after he comes back, outdoors is his thing.
2/23/2018 8:39pm
Would love to see him back and love Joshs style but after this last injury I thought it might have been the last Time we get to see his talents and didn’t even know it. Heal up JG.
hamncheeze
2/23/2018 9:11pm
hamncheeze wrote:
The biggest obstacle he will have with Kawi is that Joey Savatgy will most likely point out of 250s. So will Martin Davalos(!) if he can...
If I understand the point out rules, (they change every year) if Savatgy and Davalos were to win they would get a year to defend their...
If I understand the point out rules, (they change every year) if Savatgy and Davalos were to win they would get a year to defend their title. Kind of like how Hill and Osborne were able to defend their titles.
These rules are moving targets. AMA could change them at any time.

http://racerxonline.com/2017/04/12/250-words-pointing-out
http://racerxonline.com/2017/04/24/250-words-new-250sx-pointing-out-rul…

Reading those 2 articles makes it clear that Zach and Hill are out. Plessinger can win the West and stay by rule amendment A. Savatgy will exceed the points for the 4th time in 2018 so he’s out either way. I think Marty is in the same boat IF he exceeds this year. JMart won’t point out, despite this being year 6 in SX for him. Shane McElrath will have another year. Same with AC92. Obviously guys like RJ, Smith, etc are nowhere near getting 4 seasons over the threshold.

One big problem: Currently there’s no mention of the number of points if it’s a 10 race series like the West is this year. Presumably this has been discussed with the teams and riders but who knows?!?
DTR830
Fantasy
1131st
2/23/2018 9:22pm
Gilby122 wrote:
His wife posted a picture of him at the hospital this morning saying heading in for #14. Gotta take its toll both mentally and physically after...
His wife posted a picture of him at the hospital this morning saying heading in for #14. Gotta take its toll both mentally and physically after awhile you'd think. These guys and their desire to continue and do what they do after the injuries is probably the most impressive part of their racing if you ask me.
they don't have any job experience so unfortunately, the bank account determines if they race.
tek14
2/23/2018 11:53pm
Gilby122 wrote:
His wife posted a picture of him at the hospital this morning saying heading in for #14. Gotta take its toll both mentally and physically after...
DTR830 wrote:
they don't have any job experience so unfortunately, the bank account determines if they race.
How much Josh Grant makes from Kawasaki/gear deals for season? That amount will take like 8-10 years from normal desk job to get even you are good position.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
2/24/2018 1:06am
hamncheeze wrote:
These rules are moving targets. AMA could change them at any time. http://racerxonline.com/2017/04/12/250-words-pointing-out http://racerxonline.com/2017/04/24/250-words-new-250sx-pointing-out-rules Reading those 2 articles makes it clear that Zach and Hill are...

Reading those 2 articles makes it clear that Zach and Hill are out. Plessinger can win the West and stay by rule amendment A. Savatgy will exceed the points for the 4th time in 2018 so he’s out either way. I think Marty is in the same boat IF he exceeds this year. JMart won’t point out, despite this being year 6 in SX for him. Shane McElrath will have another year. Same with AC92. Obviously guys like RJ, Smith, etc are nowhere near getting 4 seasons over the threshold.

One big problem: Currently there’s no mention of the number of points if it’s a 10 race series like the West is this year. Presumably this has been discussed with the teams and riders but who knows?!?
Okay. I didn't remember the 4 season over point total and win a championship. I guess Osborne and Hill got a reprieve, as both were going over the 3rd season last year before the change. And no one in the class was approaching 4 seasons over.

Savatgy and Davalos are both in contention to point out with 3 seasons over the limit already. Although Marty has to gain 134 points in 8 races. Doable, but not a guarantee. Savatgy is close (129 points) to going over the un-announced 10 race point limit (which is probably be 150 points).

One interesting thing reading the bulletin was they removed the 2 titles and your out rule. It now says in item 3. AMA 250 Rule Change

3. A rider that wins a second 250SX Championship will be eligible to participate in the 250SX class for a maximum of three years total regardless of what year he/she won their second title. (i.e. if a rider wins their second Championship in their third year of 250SX competition, they will be ineligible for the 250SX class regardless of points and therefore not eligible to defend their 250SX Championship title)

Their example is a bad one, but they crossed put item 4. That said once you win 2 titles you are ineligible for 250 SX.
That means a rookie phenom could win 3 titles in 3 seasons and set a new record. Maybe a Jett Reynolds or Hayden Deegan will set a record in years to come.
Crush
2/24/2018 2:52am
I think he's been great since filling in at Kawi. For what they'd be paying him vs another guy who's moving up from the 250s trying to be the next big thing I'd bet Kawi sticks with him a long time. Would you pay Savatgy more? I wouldn't.
hamncheeze
2/24/2018 8:06am
hamncheeze wrote:
These rules are moving targets. AMA could change them at any time. http://racerxonline.com/2017/04/12/250-words-pointing-out http://racerxonline.com/2017/04/24/250-words-new-250sx-pointing-out-rules Reading those 2 articles makes it clear that Zach and Hill are...

Okay. I didn't remember the 4 season over point total and win a championship. I guess Osborne and Hill got a reprieve, as both were going...
Okay. I didn't remember the 4 season over point total and win a championship. I guess Osborne and Hill got a reprieve, as both were going over the 3rd season last year before the change. And no one in the class was approaching 4 seasons over.

Savatgy and Davalos are both in contention to point out with 3 seasons over the limit already. Although Marty has to gain 134 points in 8 races. Doable, but not a guarantee. Savatgy is close (129 points) to going over the un-announced 10 race point limit (which is probably be 150 points).

One interesting thing reading the bulletin was they removed the 2 titles and your out rule. It now says in item 3. AMA 250 Rule Change

3. A rider that wins a second 250SX Championship will be eligible to participate in the 250SX class for a maximum of three years total regardless of what year he/she won their second title. (i.e. if a rider wins their second Championship in their third year of 250SX competition, they will be ineligible for the 250SX class regardless of points and therefore not eligible to defend their 250SX Championship title)

Their example is a bad one, but they crossed put item 4. That said once you win 2 titles you are ineligible for 250 SX.
That means a rookie phenom could win 3 titles in 3 seasons and set a new record. Maybe a Jett Reynolds or Hayden Deegan will set a record in years to come.
Yes, I think we can assume Joey will graduate regardless of his title situation. So that would mean Hill, Osborne, Savatgy to 450s with maybe on Plessinger and Marty. I feel like Marty will somehow miss the point total....especially after a 1-pointer in Arlington. 2019 will be his year for sure.

But back to JG33, honestly if I am Kawasaki I offer Savatgy the same deal as what they are giving JG and tell him to look around. THere are not many 450 rides. And while Joey might have some head snakes going, he is durable. Since he moved to PC Kawi in 2015 he's barely missed a race. The combo of being much younger plus relatively healthy would make me choose him over Grant.
Joko
Fantasy
239th
2/24/2018 8:11am
I missed it, how did he crash to get that bad of a break?
mxjeff575
2/24/2018 8:55am
Joko wrote:
I missed it, how did he crash to get that bad of a break?
Copied this from the thread last week:
From Transworld: UPDATE FEBRUARY 18TH 6:00 AM | We talked to the team on Saturday evening and it sounds like Grant broke the fibula in his right leg. Grant told the team that his feet were on the back of the pegs and when he landed from a jump, the force pulled his legs back and he felt instant pain. After talking with medics, Grant flew back to California on Saturday evening.

Post a reply to: Josh Grant

The Latest