Just to clear up any Peick confusion...

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
|
level
4/5/2019 4:39pm
Uggh. Then why did he say it wasn’t him? Maybe he explains in audio didn’t listen.
DA498
4/5/2019 5:32pm
level wrote:
Uggh. Then why did he say it wasn’t him? Maybe he explains in audio didn’t listen.
I thought there was an emoji behind that denial that made it seem like dont tell anyone or whatever. Glad hes out there working through it. Social media is a joke sometimes.
500guy
4/5/2019 5:44pm
Good deal, Glad to hear he is working through it and taking his time to decide what the future holds as far as racing.

The Shop

beamer
4/5/2019 6:35pm
Good for you Weston. I’ve been legally blind in my right eye for 20 years ( hockey injury ), glad to hear you are taking it for what it is, which is having fun riding a dirt bike. I still very much love riding and know exactly what you are going thru with the vision and it’s challenges and wish you a full recovery!
4/5/2019 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2019 6:44pm
His response to people speculating if he had been “cleared” by a doctor to ride or not was great, fuck yeah WP. That’s awesome that he’s able to even consider riding just for fun, given the extent of the injuries he sustained.
FARANG
4/5/2019 9:19pm
Awesome. Really happy to hear he’s back on the bike. Hopefully he’s able to continue racing at some point but if not then he seems to have the character to succeed at whatever is next.
plowboy
4/6/2019 5:37am
If memory serves...Tony DiStefano continued to race after losing sight in one eye. I don't see any reason why Weston can't...he's a pretty determined SOB. Good luck buddy.
4/6/2019 5:44am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2019 5:44am
Didn’t Langston have issues with only one eye? It ultimately led to his early retirement. He talked about it on the most recent whiskey throttle show.
chrisg19
Fantasy
4462nd
4/6/2019 5:52am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2019 5:55am
I think when you lose sight in one eye, you lose depth perception. It would probably be pretty hard to ride at such a high level with impaired depth perception. If I remember correctly when Tony D had his eye injury it pretty much ended his career. If he did race again, it wasn’t much before he called it quits.

Edited to add: I just looked it up and Tony D did make a short comeback. So much for the memory.
downard254
4/6/2019 6:04am
Didn’t Langston have issues with only one eye? It ultimately led to his early retirement. He talked about it on the most recent whiskey throttle show.
Yea, it seemed like he had melanoma in one of his eyes, and it was deemed a wise choice to quit riding. Sad too, cause I think Grant had much more to offer in his riding.
Natester551v
4/6/2019 6:42am
plowboy wrote:
If memory serves...Tony DiStefano continued to race after losing sight in one eye. I don't see any reason why Weston can't...he's a pretty determined SOB. Good...
If memory serves...Tony DiStefano continued to race after losing sight in one eye. I don't see any reason why Weston can't...he's a pretty determined SOB. Good luck buddy.
I hear ya, but the ultimate outcome from that wasn't good for Tony D.

Riding - awesome. Racing at WP's former level, he needs that vision back closer to normal IMHO. Things happen too quickly to risk himself and those around him in pro racing if his vision is poor. I'm sure he's fully aware of this, and I'm hoping he makes it - the dude is a viking warrior....toughest guy in the paddock...
hogkiller
4/6/2019 8:12am
legally blind in my right eye for 63 years and still race ,he will be fine
Natester551v
4/6/2019 9:33am
hogkiller wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your speed and Weston's speed aren't remotely similar....just sayin'...Whistling
plowboy
4/6/2019 10:12am
plowboy wrote:
If memory serves...Tony DiStefano continued to race after losing sight in one eye. I don't see any reason why Weston can't...he's a pretty determined SOB. Good...
I hear ya, but the ultimate outcome from that wasn't good for Tony D. Riding - awesome. Racing at WP's former level, he needs that vision...
I hear ya, but the ultimate outcome from that wasn't good for Tony D.

Riding - awesome. Racing at WP's former level, he needs that vision back closer to normal IMHO. Things happen too quickly to risk himself and those around him in pro racing if his vision is poor. I'm sure he's fully aware of this, and I'm hoping he makes it - the dude is a viking warrior....toughest guy in the paddock...
I thought about that same thing. I wondered if any "one eyed" racer might fare better outdoors vs SX...with the wider tracks and less traffic. But who knows...I saw a guy with no arms painting masterpiece level stuff by holding the brush in his teeth. Some folks just don't have quit in 'em...I bet Weston's like that.
plowboy
4/6/2019 10:25am
Are you actually allowed to race professionally with one eye?
I'm too lazy to look it up but as far as I know there are no physical restrictions. I don't think they'd allow a "blind" person to compete...or someone with no arms or legs that needed a highly modified/adapted bike. Having said that...the rules have been arbitrary and bendy at the same time...so who knows.
cpyz300
4/6/2019 10:25am
chrisg19 wrote:
I think when you lose sight in one eye, you lose depth perception. It would probably be pretty hard to ride at such a high level...
I think when you lose sight in one eye, you lose depth perception. It would probably be pretty hard to ride at such a high level with impaired depth perception. If I remember correctly when Tony D had his eye injury it pretty much ended his career. If he did race again, it wasn’t much before he called it quits.

Edited to add: I just looked it up and Tony D did make a short comeback. So much for the memory.
The brain has other methods for perceiving depth. You don't have to have two eyes. Other things like texture, shadows, symmetries, and a bunch of other cues work well together to provide mostly the same thing. If he has any peripheral vision at all, then it's even less time to adjust.

The biggest loss is the decreased field of view on the side of the affected eye. I've been totally blind for 26 years is my right eye and I ride, skateboard etc no problems with understanding distances of objects.
piscokid
4/6/2019 10:34am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2019 10:59am
Did anyone else hear at the :21 second mark? It sounded like to me he started to saw lawsuit and then changed to "with vision in my eye."
4/6/2019 10:52am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2019 12:55pm
I'm around 50% blind in my left eye from hitting my head when I was 15 and damaging the optic nerve. The whole field of vision in that eye is dark and blurry with blind spot in the corner by my nose, luckily my periferal vision is still really good. It was odd riding again at first but it only took a short time and now I don't even notice it riding and I was able to progress racing.

I think the stigma or idea of being half blind is worse than it is actually is. I rarely ever tell people, I'm terrified that I'll get a vision test at the DMV someday (never had an related auto accident). It's definitely a bummer though, I remember the first year waking up everyday hoping that my vision had improved and just had to accept it for what it is. This thread helps knowing I'm not alone. Thanks dudes, and I wish the best to WP and his career
APLMAN99
4/6/2019 12:05pm
The guys who have lost vision in one eye and still are able to perform tasks that require depth perception have my utmost respect. I have to wonder how long it took for them to adapt to the level they are at, though. And if they were at an "elite" level and ever returned to it.

My younger brother lost sight in his left eye about 3 years ago. He was a 3-5 handicap golfer at the time, winning local pro-ams regularly, etc. When he initially lost his sight he was fortunate to play within 20 strokes of his past handicap, but after a year he settled in to a 9-11 handicap and has hovered there the last couple years. He's adapted really well, but it doesn't seem like he'll ever quite get back to what he was with his depth perception issues.

I certainly wouldn't count Peick out of being able to race again, even at a high level. I also doubt that he'll be able to perform at 100% of his pre-injury self.

What I don't doubt is that whatever his "ceiling" is, he'll probably work his tail off and exceed whatever limits that the experts believe he has.
gt80rider
4/6/2019 5:35pm
cpyz300 wrote:
The brain has other methods for perceiving depth. You don't have to have two eyes. Other things like texture, shadows, symmetries, and a bunch of other...
The brain has other methods for perceiving depth. You don't have to have two eyes. Other things like texture, shadows, symmetries, and a bunch of other cues work well together to provide mostly the same thing. If he has any peripheral vision at all, then it's even less time to adjust.

The biggest loss is the decreased field of view on the side of the affected eye. I've been totally blind for 26 years is my right eye and I ride, skateboard etc no problems with understanding distances of objects.
Thank u for a good, first hand, reply....

With that said.... I sure hope WP makes it back to the gate again at some point!

jimmie
4/7/2019 8:58am
piscokid wrote:
Did anyone else hear at the :21 second mark? It sounded like to me he started to saw lawsuit and then changed to "with vision in...
Did anyone else hear at the :21 second mark? It sounded like to me he started to saw lawsuit and then changed to "with vision in my eye."
I think he was going to say, "loss"(not law)of vision. But...
Crush
4/7/2019 9:21am
hogkiller wrote:
63! Do you mind me asking how old you were when that happened? Do you think it might be harder for Weston adjusting at 28?

Post a reply to: Just to clear up any Peick confusion...

The Latest