KTM 350- Ohlins or Cone Valve

lappedrider
Edited Date/Time 5/27/2019 3:25pm
I am a slower and older Vet rider getting back into riding after a long layoff. At this point in my life I actually have some disposable income to spend on things like bikes. I was looking at suspension for my new leftover 2018 350sxf mostly to give me confidence in how the bike is going to handle.

Curious if anyone has any feedback on the Ohlins set up as I am hearing it feels plush which I like and would be much cheaper than Cone/Traxx.

Also hearing a lot of people don’t actually like the Traxx feature of that shock and have it shut off??

I have searched the forum a few times but don’t see much about Ohlins.
|
4/13/2019 10:27am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2019 10:27am
My experience with Öhlins vs. CV is, that the öhlins feels kind of harsh compared to the conevalve fork. I tried both on my Husqvarna 450 two years ago.
Sluggo77
4/13/2019 10:56am
I am a slower and older Vet rider getting back into riding after a long layoff. At this point in my life I actually have some...
I am a slower and older Vet rider getting back into riding after a long layoff. At this point in my life I actually have some disposable income to spend on things like bikes. I was looking at suspension for my new leftover 2018 350sxf mostly to give me confidence in how the bike is going to handle.

Curious if anyone has any feedback on the Ohlins set up as I am hearing it feels plush which I like and would be much cheaper than Cone/Traxx.

Also hearing a lot of people don’t actually like the Traxx feature of that shock and have it shut off??

How do you like your 350 so far? Fun to ride? Not exactly to your question but I have heard rave reviews about air suspended triple clamps and how cushy they feel.
ktm_kev
4/13/2019 11:07am
Have you considered Dal Soggio? I really like mine.
Highflier
4/13/2019 12:31pm
I am in pretty much the same scenario.
Returned to moto after years of off-road only.
Decided to try CV forks on my 19 350sxf instead of revalve or cartridge kits.
Logic being I can easily move them to another bike and I can afford them.
One Click Racing in Estonia is a great source.
They have the CV and Ohlins for the same price.
I ordered my forks on a Friday evening and they landed at my door the following Friday afternoon.

I have one ride on the CV’s and am very happy with the plushness over the AER.
Not a fair comparison, but point is I got the softness my shoulders and wrist required.
Think I’m going to get the Trax to complete the package.

The Shop

cwtoyota
4/13/2019 12:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2019 12:54pm
I am a slower and older Vet rider getting back into riding after a long layoff. At this point in my life I actually have some...

Who's suspension valving / settings have you liked the most on your past bikes?

If you can answer that question, and narrow it down to a few tuners, pick the fork they are set up to service.

By the way, that 350 is a great bike. I love the way it handles and I love the engine, but holy hell is that some terrible stock suspension.

A buddy has the Rockstar 450 with CV fork tuned by F.C. and it's night and day better than the stock KTM 350.

I haven't ridden Ohlins in a while. The last one was three years ago on a Honda, set up by a smaller local shop and it was kinda harsh. I attribute that to the tuner, not the fork design.
ob
4/13/2019 1:15pm
I've used both. Both forks can be set up to work very good. As far as shocks I have only ridden one of the new style Ohlins shocks and wasn't impressed at all. The old ohlins Shock was so good. The Trax Shock is awesome with or without trax enabled. I'd buy the WP stuff for sure if the money isn't an issue. If you want to save money there are lots of cartridge kits that work good, and lots of team kinda guys use the stock shocks with revalve and bladder kits. The rear shock isn't an issue.
lappedrider
4/13/2019 4:04pm
Sluggo77 wrote:
How do you like your 350 so far? Fun to ride? Not exactly to your question but I have heard rave reviews about air suspended triple...
How do you like your 350 so far? Fun to ride? Not exactly to your question but I have heard rave reviews about air suspended triple clamps and how cushy they feel.
I love the 350. Perfect blend of weight and power. At this point in my riding a 450 would be riding me.
lappedrider
4/13/2019 4:05pm
ktm_kev wrote:
I have never heard of them. I will check it out.
ktm_kev
4/13/2019 4:13pm
ktm_kev wrote:
I have never heard of them. I will check it out.
Just search Vitalmx for more info. Motocross Action Magazine also did a nice review on them. I'm more than pleased!!
Denn700
4/13/2019 4:26pm
I have KYB Kit Suspension on my bike and it is better than anything I have ever ridden and that includes all other A Kit Suspension .
PTshox
4/13/2019 4:57pm
Try the MX tech lucky system for that fork. After that it's all about setup... Valving and spring rate is what will determine how you like it.
lappedrider
4/13/2019 5:24pm
Denn700 wrote:
I have KYB Kit Suspension on my bike and it is better than anything I have ever ridden and that includes all other A Kit Suspension...
I have KYB Kit Suspension on my bike and it is better than anything I have ever ridden and that includes all other A Kit Suspension .
On a KTM?
mx317
4/13/2019 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2019 5:50pm
I have a cone valve fork on my Husky. I had them setup by two different companies and never liked the feel of them. I ended up sending them to Craig at Enzo and he actually used a conventional mid-valve and man do they work well now! Plush, but with good bottoming resistance and hold up. Up to now I had a set of Enzo valved SSS style forks as my yardstick, but these are even better.
lappedrider
4/13/2019 5:49pm
Denn700 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/13/338666/s1200_06A9D525_FA85_4F8D_BD05_1ED7E74B3E48.jpg[/img]

That is amazing! Did Enzo do the whole kit? Standard 48mm KTM triples?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/13/2019 5:50pm
I’d say CV over Olins. But if you can find KYB conversion that would be nice also.

If money is tight the stock shock is very good. Trax isnt as needed as the forks
Denn700
4/13/2019 5:54pm
Those are Xtrig clamps. You have to have them if you buy the KYB and I don’t think you do for the Cone Valves so that may be something to think about. I also have the KYB shock. Craig told me the KYB was better than the Cone Valves and that is why I went that route.
Denn700
4/13/2019 6:01pm
The KYB spring conversion is pretty good for the money. I had that before I had the full KYB Kit Suspension . It’s way better than stock but not even close to the kit stuff. I can go into braking bumps wide open sitting down now and don’t feel it. I have never ridden anything like this. I have ridden some Showa A Kit and some KYB factory suspension that you can’t buy but it wasn’t set up for me .
mg311
4/15/2019 4:19am Edited Date/Time 4/15/2019 4:23am
hi i was a cone valve and trax fun but after ride a complete technical touch kyb kit i sold my two wp set. Kyb kit if had a right setting is the way to go on every bike. I don't like this free sensation on the first part on cone valve
JMX82
4/15/2019 5:14am

I don't know why some people disengages the Trax feature. I have Trax shock in my 150SX and absolutely love how it makes easy finding rear wheel traction on a choppy outdoor tracks.

I think myth about removing Trax feature comes from Supercross where it is't actually needed due to smooth tracks. I would guess that most pro riders are using Trax feature in outdoor tracks though
r18b
4/15/2019 5:33am

AJ565
4/15/2019 6:11am

JMX82 wrote:
I don't know why some people disengages the Trax feature. I have Trax shock in my 150SX and absolutely love how it makes easy finding rear...
I don't know why some people disengages the Trax feature. I have Trax shock in my 150SX and absolutely love how it makes easy finding rear wheel traction on a choppy outdoor tracks.

I think myth about removing Trax feature comes from Supercross where it is't actually needed due to smooth tracks. I would guess that most pro riders are using Trax feature in outdoor tracks though
I have a Trax from ClubMX and they ran it with the Trax disabled and said thats how all the teams run it. I did notice it made the bike handle a lot better through really rough stuff even turned off over the stock rear shock.

OP, I have CV that were setup for my weight and ability from PowerBand. they are amazing in every way over the AER. Super plush, handles rough stuff better, bottom out resistance, tire grip, everything. Having the full front and rear "A" kit I now understand how the pros over jump, come up short, or launch to flat land and not die as I've done all of that stuff and it just soaks it up and doesn't hurt.
Tim507
4/15/2019 7:17am
Denn700 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/13/338666/s1200_06A9D525_FA85_4F8D_BD05_1ED7E74B3E48.jpg[/img]

I've also have KYB on my 450, very nice.......mine is the Enzo Conversion in WP Tubes. $1500 plus freight and then some related tuning-setup costs.
T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
4/15/2019 9:49am
I’m voting Cone Valve**.

**i have them but have never ridden the bike to give my actual thoughts on them so you can’t really take my vote seriously.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
4/15/2019 9:57am
Cone Valve / Trax vote here ! Billy @ PowerBand is a magician with them, IMO
Motofinne
4/15/2019 10:05am Edited Date/Time 4/15/2019 10:08am

JMX82 wrote:
I don't know why some people disengages the Trax feature. I have Trax shock in my 150SX and absolutely love how it makes easy finding rear...

I have to agree with you. I really don't understand why people like to disable the Trax system, but i guess it's a subjective personal thing.

I think Derek Harris posted something good about this topic in an older thread.
lappedrider
4/15/2019 2:58pm
Is it me or is the common practice to buy CV’s and then pay someone to rework them? Either Powerband, Factory, or other?
Superdave19
4/15/2019 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2019 3:08pm
Is it me or is the common practice to buy CV’s and then pay someone to rework them? Either Powerband, Factory, or other?
No sh*t- I have a good friend that has CV + Trax on a new Husky from FC, and I can't hardly ride it's so stiff. We're the same weight/ability.

On the flip side, another friend has a 17' Factory Edish and has a set of CV, and revalved stk shock from Enzo, and it's some of the best stuff I've ever ridden on-

Post a reply to: KTM 350- Ohlins or Cone Valve

The Latest