KTM 350- Ohlins or Cone Valve

AJ565
4/17/2019 6:17am
liver wrote:
I hear this “have not touched a clicker” phrase often, it’s funny. it’s like having a recliner chair, but ya just leave it half way reclined...
I hear this “have not touched a clicker” phrase often, it’s funny. it’s like having a recliner chair, but ya just leave it half way reclined it’s whole life, trippy, bro
When they are spot on there isn't a reason to change. My AER's I had different clicks and pressures for different tracks. With my CV I tried WP's setup for sand which was different clicks and preload and it didn't feel as good as the settings Billy had so I went back to that. It wasn't from a lack of not trying different clicks, it was from a I ended up back at what was already set.
A_Wise1
4/17/2019 12:33pm
mx317 wrote:
As far as getting the Cones reworked, when you buy them they are set up for you by whomever you buy them from (Factory Connection, Powerband...
As far as getting the Cones reworked, when you buy them they are set up for you by whomever you buy them from (Factory Connection, Powerband, Race Tech, WP in California, etc.). You can't buy just a "standard" off the shelf Cone Valve here in the US to my knowledge. The reworked part is when you are not happy with the setup you get like I was.
This is not true anymore. I have had 3 sets of CVs. Back in '16, I bought them straight from WP and they did set them up for me. The past 2 sets, were bought from authorized WP centers and have a standard setting in them from WP with two extra sets of springs (one higher rate, one lower rate). I know for certain that at least FC and Racetech will charge you for the forks, $4250 retail, plus their revalve price. It is pretty annoying to spend that much money on the forks, just to throw more into it for them to be set up.
mx317
4/17/2019 1:07pm
mx317 wrote:
As far as getting the Cones reworked, when you buy them they are set up for you by whomever you buy them from (Factory Connection, Powerband...
As far as getting the Cones reworked, when you buy them they are set up for you by whomever you buy them from (Factory Connection, Powerband, Race Tech, WP in California, etc.). You can't buy just a "standard" off the shelf Cone Valve here in the US to my knowledge. The reworked part is when you are not happy with the setup you get like I was.
A_Wise1 wrote:
This is not true anymore. I have had 3 sets of CVs. Back in '16, I bought them straight from WP and they did set them...
This is not true anymore. I have had 3 sets of CVs. Back in '16, I bought them straight from WP and they did set them up for me. The past 2 sets, were bought from authorized WP centers and have a standard setting in them from WP with two extra sets of springs (one higher rate, one lower rate). I know for certain that at least FC and Racetech will charge you for the forks, $4250 retail, plus their revalve price. It is pretty annoying to spend that much money on the forks, just to throw more into it for them to be set up.
I can't imagine anyone spending $4250 for a set of forks and not spend $175-200 more to have them set up properly. They is no "off the shelf" setting that works for everyone. I bought a set with less than two hours on them for $2200 and went through a couple of revalves before I got them right for me.
lappedrider
4/17/2019 6:40pm
AJ565 wrote:
When they are spot on there isn't a reason to change. My AER's I had different clicks and pressures for different tracks. With my CV I...
When they are spot on there isn't a reason to change. My AER's I had different clicks and pressures for different tracks. With my CV I tried WP's setup for sand which was different clicks and preload and it didn't feel as good as the settings Billy had so I went back to that. It wasn't from a lack of not trying different clicks, it was from a I ended up back at what was already set.
This is what I am thinking. At this point I will probably only get to ride a few times a year being a single dad. I don’t want those few rides to always be searching for settings that make me feel comfortable. Hoping I can find that magic set of suspension that is a set it and forget it. Maybe that is an unrealistic goal...

The Shop

Shawn142
4/17/2019 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2019 7:10pm
This is what I am thinking. At this point I will probably only get to ride a few times a year being a single dad. I...
This is what I am thinking. At this point I will probably only get to ride a few times a year being a single dad. I don’t want those few rides to always be searching for settings that make me feel comfortable. Hoping I can find that magic set of suspension that is a set it and forget it. Maybe that is an unrealistic goal...
Like RC said, just find a setting you're comfortable with and ride. Long as you're within the general guidelines of sag and spring rate it's not impossible to find a setting that will work pretty much anywhere. But like I mentioned earlier I am pretty numb to setup changes in general, I just compensate for whatever problem the bike gives me. A skill you hone after a lifetime of racing on stock suspension because that's what you could afford.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/18/2019 7:21am
AJ565 wrote:
When they are spot on there isn't a reason to change. My AER's I had different clicks and pressures for different tracks. With my CV I...
This is what I am thinking. At this point I will probably only get to ride a few times a year being a single dad. I...
The best way to get a magic setting first try is either buy new and hope the company that revalves them can get it first try or buy a used set from someone who is similar weight and speed who can give you confidence on the current setting.

I’ve been using Factory Connection for a few years and recently started working with a Enzo. Very impressed with the setting they did. It’s working for a wider range then my FC setting.
PTshox
4/18/2019 1:24pm
Just buy the lucky cartridge kit and go from there... less then $1,000 and it's a drop in. Easy to do.... You'll be good.
BobPA
4/18/2019 1:27pm
The best way to get a magic setting first try is either buy new and hope the company that revalves them can get it first try...
The best way to get a magic setting first try is either buy new and hope the company that revalves them can get it first try or buy a used set from someone who is similar weight and speed who can give you confidence on the current setting.

I’ve been using Factory Connection for a few years and recently started working with a Enzo. Very impressed with the setting they did. It’s working for a wider range then my FC setting.
FC is really starting to price themselves out of the game. Their revalve pricing is reasonable on the website, but you might as well quadruple that by the time it is all said and done. Their AER revalve pricing is laughable.
Solidkm
4/18/2019 2:11pm
PTshox wrote:
Just buy the lucky cartridge kit and go from there... less then $1,000 and it's a drop in. Easy to do.... You'll be good.
Really like my lucky kit. I’ve never ridden CV but I’ve secretly been saving for a pair. Recently, I’ve pretty much decided to have another set of luckys made. Maybe spring for some coatings. I cannot complain at all with mine.
yz133rider
4/18/2019 8:28pm
The best way to get a magic setting first try is either buy new and hope the company that revalves them can get it first try...

BobPA wrote:
FC is really starting to price themselves out of the game. Their revalve pricing is reasonable on the website, but you might as well quadruple that...
FC is really starting to price themselves out of the game. Their revalve pricing is reasonable on the website, but you might as well quadruple that by the time it is all said and done. Their AER revalve pricing is laughable.
Agreed, And you arent even replacing springs in the forks and theyre quote was as if i was getting springs and coatings and shit, it was that high
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/18/2019 9:03pm
Shawn142 wrote:
Like RC said, just find a setting you're comfortable with and ride. Long as you're within the general guidelines of sag and spring rate it's not...
Like RC said, just find a setting you're comfortable with and ride. Long as you're within the general guidelines of sag and spring rate it's not impossible to find a setting that will work pretty much anywhere. But like I mentioned earlier I am pretty numb to setup changes in general, I just compensate for whatever problem the bike gives me. A skill you hone after a lifetime of racing on stock suspension because that's what you could afford.
I have several friends like you, they just hammer down and ride well. Matter of fact, I was in the same situation for the first 1/2 of my riding/ racing years. But I finally broke down and got my stuff set up for my weight/ ability and type of tracks I ride and was bummed it took me so long. It’s very confidence inspiring when you can get your set up on point !

Now I spoil myself with Cone Valves on my KTM’s, because I can. But a good revalve from a reputable company will do you good, I can assure you !
PTshox
4/18/2019 11:33pm
I rode with a guy all day in the mountains on a 2018 FC450 with a lucky kit. I asked him his thoughts... he said they were very good. That he did tune them a little here and there but they were right there with the cone valve forks he had. Those cone valve forks were sourced from a factory husky rider we all know by name.

FYI...I do all my own valving.... have for many years. A old buddy of mine ran Fox Shock's power sports division for 20+ years helped me with a few simple logic questions years ago... but after that I could figure it out on my own. SETUP is everything. Oil height, spring rate, valving....Today's forks have a lot of tuning capability built into them. Heck, I even got a pair of 2016 4CS forks to work very, very well via the right setup (and some interesting internal parts from Dave J at Smart Performance). So, you can make it work...
mx317
4/19/2019 5:45am

Did they use shims instead of the Cone Valve on the mid-valve? That's what Enzo did with mine and I finally found what I have been searching for. I know Billy at Powerband does or has done this before also. I had an Enzo setup on my 2016 KX450F that was a 2010 SSS (AOSS) style fork that I bought. It was the most awesome fork I have ever ran and until now it has been my "yardstick" on how I wanted a fork to work. This fork I have now finally matches or betters that fork!
Denn700
4/19/2019 6:13am
I buy at least two bikes a year and I have tried every big name company and a few small named ones. Craig is a former factory rider and he has the Oak Hill Amateur National track basically in his back yard to test stuff.
If you can’t afford A Kit then get the spring conversion and you will be happy.
972 955 5664 Enzo Racing in Texas
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/19/2019 8:02am

mx317 wrote:
Did they use shims instead of the Cone Valve on the mid-valve? That's what Enzo did with mine and I finally found what I have been...
Did they use shims instead of the Cone Valve on the mid-valve? That's what Enzo did with mine and I finally found what I have been searching for. I know Billy at Powerband does or has done this before also. I had an Enzo setup on my 2016 KX450F that was a 2010 SSS (AOSS) style fork that I bought. It was the most awesome fork I have ever ran and until now it has been my "yardstick" on how I wanted a fork to work. This fork I have now finally matches or betters that fork!
We are still using cone valves. There’s tons of adjustments when also changing the cone spring as well as the top out spring.
ktm300hater
4/19/2019 1:38pm
PTshox wrote:
It's not exactly drop in and go. You have to remove the lugs off the bottom and change some stuff before you can install the lucky conversion. But it's very much worth it. I did mine, then let a friend ride it that has an Enzo revolve, which he liked, after he rode mine I ordered him a set of lucky conversion for his Husky.
4/19/2019 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2019 2:13pm
Once you get your clickers close the air pressure will dial you in to 110%

I am 5-11 175 lbs.
I’m running 141 lbs air pressure.
16 out
102 sag.

These work for me. And I’ve found that if I need more stiff I take it 148-153 lbs. if I need it softer for Grand Prix woodsy race i drop the pressure to 130lbs.

Here’s what you need to do. Ride he stock bike. Find yourself a suspension guy. Have him make adjustments for you as you ride one day.

Pay the guy $100 or something. I mean shit you’re gonna spend $4000 blind ?

Tell him to adjust the bike and everyone once in a while pretend to adjust it. Then clarify your results at the end. This will show you if you can even feel the changes. If you come up with “oh yea that’s slot better “ and he didn’t change shit......well there ya go. Get it close and try to ride it. If he find a good setting great. Maybe you’ll save $4200.

But if I were you I’d pay the suspension guy to placebo you at the track. Write down the data. And when it comes out it isn’t the suspension it’s you take that $4200 and put it towards a 2019 ktm 150sx! Thank me later!!!!! Or If that guy finds you a comfortable spot thank me again as well.

There’s so much adjustment on these wp48s. These are literally the only suspenders I’ve never revalved. on my second set now. They’re fuggin AMAZING. I’ve always been an SSS Yamaha guy and still I would get those valved and take 5cc oil out. It’s just insane the adjustability you get with these wp aer48s. When you make big swings I can tell for sure. They’re awesome. And I’m done bangin the drum. Take this info as you wish.

(I’m on 18 ktm 350)
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/19/2019 5:35pm
mx317 wrote:
Did they use shims instead of the Cone Valve on the mid-valve? That's what Enzo did with mine and I finally found what I have been...
Billy uses cones, not conventional mid-valves. Feel free to ask him, I’ve had this conversation with him.
mx317
4/19/2019 5:39pm
langhammx wrote:
Billy uses cones, not conventional mid-valves. Feel free to ask him, I’ve had this conversation with him.
I've talked to him face to face. As my post said "does or has done" meaning he may not do it any longer.
DL5
5/18/2019 7:19pm
Ohlins, best suspension I have ever tried on a KTM, here is my bike.

5/27/2019 12:23am
DL5 wrote:
Ohlins, best suspension I have ever tried on a KTM, here is my bike. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/18/348418/s1200_20190422_183620.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/18/348417/s1200_20190422_183432.jpg[/img]
Ohlins, best suspension I have ever tried on a KTM, here is my bike.

Have you tried a set of KYB factory kit or Cone valve to compare with the Ohlins ? Thanks ! Your bike looks amazing
lappedrider
5/27/2019 7:28am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2019 8:13am

I got the front end figured out. Ohlins EC is waiting on a shipment of shocks but still debating Ohlins or Factory Connection modified stock for the back. The forks are amazing so far.
Hammer 663s
5/27/2019 7:48am
Jrewing wrote:
My 18 husky 350 had the worst settings stock I’ve ever ridden on any mx bike. Revalved twice and the rear is amazing the front pretty...
My 18 husky 350 had the worst settings stock I’ve ever ridden on any mx bike. Revalved twice and the rear is amazing the front pretty good but still a weak link compared to a good spring setup.
Wow. I really like the AERs on my 18 FC350. Almost as good as the fully sorted 10 RMZ coil/oil forks that I once had, and light-years ahead of the PSF1s on my 13 CRF450. 143 PSI, softer compression and slightly faster rebound than stock, and they work really good for me. 185 lb, 56 year old Vet Intermediate. And I only have 2 hours on them so far so they are not even close to broken in.

Maybe I'm just slow, plus numb like the other guy. Or maybe its cause I've never ridden $10k suspension.

Hammer 663s
bulldog5150
5/27/2019 9:34am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2019 9:36am
I tried having the stock stuff revalved by Enzo and it was decent but ended up going with Ohlins on both ends and absolutely love it. Such an upgrade from revalved stock (thought the stock shock is not that bad). On a 2018 KTM 450.
PJRAUS
5/27/2019 3:25pm
Once you get your clickers close the air pressure will dial you in to 110% I am 5-11 175 lbs. I’m running 141 lbs air pressure...
Once you get your clickers close the air pressure will dial you in to 110%

I am 5-11 175 lbs.
I’m running 141 lbs air pressure.
16 out
102 sag.

These work for me. And I’ve found that if I need more stiff I take it 148-153 lbs. if I need it softer for Grand Prix woodsy race i drop the pressure to 130lbs.

Here’s what you need to do. Ride he stock bike. Find yourself a suspension guy. Have him make adjustments for you as you ride one day.

Pay the guy $100 or something. I mean shit you’re gonna spend $4000 blind ?

Tell him to adjust the bike and everyone once in a while pretend to adjust it. Then clarify your results at the end. This will show you if you can even feel the changes. If you come up with “oh yea that’s slot better “ and he didn’t change shit......well there ya go. Get it close and try to ride it. If he find a good setting great. Maybe you’ll save $4200.

But if I were you I’d pay the suspension guy to placebo you at the track. Write down the data. And when it comes out it isn’t the suspension it’s you take that $4200 and put it towards a 2019 ktm 150sx! Thank me later!!!!! Or If that guy finds you a comfortable spot thank me again as well.

There’s so much adjustment on these wp48s. These are literally the only suspenders I’ve never revalved. on my second set now. They’re fuggin AMAZING. I’ve always been an SSS Yamaha guy and still I would get those valved and take 5cc oil out. It’s just insane the adjustability you get with these wp aer48s. When you make big swings I can tell for sure. They’re awesome. And I’m done bangin the drum. Take this info as you wish.

(I’m on 18 ktm 350)
I like your attitude and your idea..especially taking the $4k you save and putting it towards a 150! Thats a brilliant idea!
I dont own a ktm 350 but Ive ridden an 18 , the forks had been set up for the rider by a suspension tuner and they felt super plush but too soft for me..even though im about the same weight and speed as the owner..
Then I rode a 19 and it had been set up for its owner ( who is both way heavier and faster than me ) and the forks were very harsh feeling but the rear end was plush...
Turns out the owner of this bike..a good friend..is a slacker with his maintenance and hadn't even checked the air pressure in his forks since he had the bike set up..Air pressure was about 20 psi less than it should be I thought he said...dunno..
Anyway..the vast difference in feel on two individual bikes says to me that theres plenty of adjustability in those AER 48's...
But I dont own a KTM, so this is just my unbiased observation based on the riding I did on these 2 bikes..

Post a reply to: KTM 350- Ohlins or Cone Valve

The Latest