KTM/Trac Control

yz25
Question for you KTM owners.

Is the trac control system all what its made out to be? When the system was first launched on the bike it got a lot of attention as a major perk. Now there is very little mentioned. thinking other manufacturers would follow if that was the case. Would like to hear some input. Trying to talk myself out of not waiting to on the new FE bikes.... haha

Thanks
|
slothy
8/25/2017 9:47am
my 17 fx has it (sure its near or the same as ktms) - i tired it on / off and i cant notice a diff on sandy single track
BobPA
8/25/2017 9:59am
Just feels like it mellows the power out a bit. Def not a big selling point in my eyes.
IceMan446
8/25/2017 10:20am
I can't tell the difference at all so I just leave it off. I have heard its noticeable if you ride in the woods though.

I also don't like the launch control. Feels like I can't rev the bike enough on some of the deeper starts so I also don't use that.
Motofinne
8/25/2017 10:25am
It mellows out the power, it's very noticeable on dry tracks with little traction. But useless on sand tracks, you need all the power you can get on sand tracks.

The Shop

8/25/2017 11:12am
For woods racing, I can really tell a difference when it's snotty out on my 17 450XC-F. It definitely mellows the power out a bit and makes the mid a bit more linear.
JohnMatrix
8/25/2017 11:31am
Motofinne wrote:
It mellows out the power, it's very noticeable on dry tracks with little traction. But useless on sand tracks, you need all the power you can...
It mellows out the power, it's very noticeable on dry tracks with little traction. But useless on sand tracks, you need all the power you can get on sand tracks.
I agree with this. When the track gets dry and hardpack it actually works nicely. It's almost as if the bike comes out of a corner tracking perfectly straight. If it's not engaging because traction is already good, then it's doing its job and not interfering. In a lot of other conditions I've found it can cut power a bit too much. Overall, I just leave it turned off. KTM has done a good job with the feature but it's not perfect for every condition.
swtwtwtw
8/25/2017 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2017 7:39pm
I like it and can do the switch on the fly. Some of our socal tracks are a mix of hard and soft.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
8/25/2017 12:11pm
I rode it in the 17 Husky 450. It's not a traction control that stops the wheel from spinning like a car, more just a mellow map with retarded ignition. I liked it on the 450 because they have so much power compared to my 250f.

You could get a "simaler" feel with mapping changes on a Vortex ECU on a bike without "traction control" and put a map switch on the bar.
mx317
If it is slick and greasy or blue groove it is nice. If the track is super rough, it works well also because the rear stays planted and driving forward better. If it is loamy or sandy, I never use it.
swtwtwtw
BTW, launch control is like cheating it is so good.
IceMan446
8/25/2017 12:19pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
Man I must not get how to use it correctly.

I tried it twice and my bike wouldn't pull through the deep loam on the other side of the gate.
Brent
8/25/2017 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2017 12:31pm
I've only used traction control once on map 2, and I really couldn't feel too much difference on semi hard pack dirt.

Cool feature? sure. Game changer? not really.

flymoto
8/25/2017 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2017 12:39pm
I have just picked up at 17 sxf 450. So excited to ride it this weekend!!! What maps do people find best on certain type of tracks? On transworld test (for what it's worth) they said for the launch control wide open and dump the clutch? I'm terrible at starts so I'm hoping TC dumbs it down for me Smile
IceMan446
8/25/2017 12:46pm
flymoto wrote:
I have just picked up at 17 sxf 450. So excited to ride it this weekend!!! What maps do people find best on certain type of...
I have just picked up at 17 sxf 450. So excited to ride it this weekend!!! What maps do people find best on certain type of tracks? On transworld test (for what it's worth) they said for the launch control wide open and dump the clutch? I'm terrible at starts so I'm hoping TC dumbs it down for me Smile
I tried it and it didn't work for me. I like the higher revs and being able to modulate it with the clutch but then again maybe I am using it wrong.

I run map 2 when the track is deep and loamy and map 1 when it dries out. I have traction control off but have ridden with it on and couldn't tell a difference.

flymoto
8/25/2017 12:55pm
flymoto wrote:
I have just picked up at 17 sxf 450. So excited to ride it this weekend!!! What maps do people find best on certain type of...
IceMan446 wrote:
I tried it and it didn't work for me. I like the higher revs and being able to modulate it with the clutch but then again...
I tried it and it didn't work for me. I like the higher revs and being able to modulate it with the clutch but then again maybe I am using it wrong.

I run map 2 when the track is deep and loamy and map 1 when it dries out. I have traction control off but have ridden with it on and couldn't tell a difference.

It's nice to have a choice though I guess. Coming off a crf it's going to be different, a lot more power and the choice of maps/tc/lc.
IceMan446
8/25/2017 1:37pm
flymoto wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
I tried it and it didn't work for me. I like the higher revs and being able to modulate it with the clutch but then again...

flymoto wrote:
It's nice to have a choice though I guess. Coming off a crf it's going to be different, a lot more power and the choice of...
It's nice to have a choice though I guess. Coming off a crf it's going to be different, a lot more power and the choice of maps/tc/lc.
Thats very true, its good to have options. I do like the two different map options though and they both are noticeable.

Any link to the transworld vid you mentioned?
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
55th
8/25/2017 3:23pm
Tc is ust like a super mellow map but launch control is tits for concrete starts
ob
8/25/2017 4:23pm
I've only used it on a 350sxf. Honestly I thought something was wrong with the bike until I realized it was on. It feels like it is cutting out at weird times. Maybe useful in straight line traction but really funky at other times.
Now the launch controll, that shit is money!
siezethecarp
8/25/2017 5:04pm
I bought a 17 fe350 it doesn't have it. the North American street legal models don't have the traction control or map switched due to emissions. You can add it but have to splice into wiring harness or buy the euro harness.
305FC250
8/25/2017 5:22pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
This is what I've heard from several people I've spoken to in person. Surprising to see all the "it doesn't make a difference" posts here....
slothy
8/25/2017 5:52pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
305FC250 wrote:
This is what I've heard from several people I've spoken to in person. Surprising to see all the "it doesn't make a difference" posts here....
post was about traction control, not the launch control. while i dont race i have played with thew launch and that def is a nice feature and seems to work. the traction control on the other hand didnt seem to do anything that i could noticed.
86honda
8/25/2017 10:17pm
KTM is tech the best bike. I havent got but 16 hours on my bike and I have not taken it off the traction control. Its so fast and super responsive I cant believe how it could be better off. The launch control is just cheating.
flymoto
8/26/2017 12:16am
Sorry it was mxa who tested it....

HOW DOES KTM’S LAUNCH CONTROL SWITCH WORK?

A: Last year a rider had to cycle the flip switch on the right side of the bars back and forth until the indicator light behind the front number plate flashed. For 2017 the rider has to press the rubber-covered map button and the traction control button simultaneously until the indicator light behind the front number plate flashes. This is easy to do with gloved hands or if the gate is getting ready to drop. You have to plan ahead because it takes two hands. Of supreme importance is that once launch control is engaged, you must refrain from blipping the throttle. If you rev the engine up and let the revs fall by more than 30 percent, launch control will shut off—and you cannot reengage it without shutting the engine off.

MXA test riders rarely use launch control on dirt starts, but we use it all the time on concrete. Everybody has his own method for using launch control off the line, but the majority of MXA test riders hold the throttle wide open and dump the clutch. The retarded ignition curve knocks off several horsepower to decrease the chance of wheelspin. You should practice starts to find out how much throttle works best for you.
8/27/2017 8:31pm
ob wrote:
I've only used it on a 350sxf. Honestly I thought something was wrong with the bike until I realized it was on. It feels like it...
I've only used it on a 350sxf. Honestly I thought something was wrong with the bike until I realized it was on. It feels like it is cutting out at weird times. Maybe useful in straight line traction but really funky at other times.
Now the launch controll, that shit is money!
I have the 350SX too and second everything you just said.

Post a reply to: KTM/Trac Control

The Latest