Knee Replacement Upgrade

Mr. Info
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2020 12:30pm
Look I know there are quite a few older guys with knee replacements who still ride and I am one of them but the last year and a half I have been dealing with continued knee pain and was not sure why. Well with finally seeing the right Orthopedic I was diagnosed with nerve pain in the area surrounding the replaced parts.
I was told to visit a Pain Management Doctor and that visit has opened the door to feeling like I did before the pain started. I can sit for long periods and no pain getting up. I can wear my knee braces and no pain. I had 3 nerve block injections and it is a test to see which nerves needed to be deadened as to make the pain go away.
Even the Patella Tendon pain has gone away.
If any of you are frustrated need to see the pain management doc to see if this is your problem. I am amazed buy how much 3 shots into the nerves can make such a overwhelming change in how I feel.
|
dan45mt
2/14/2020 6:28pm
Good luck! I hope it works long term.
Moto88
2/14/2020 6:54pm
Curious as to how long have you had your tkr? I’m 49 and dr says I’m bone on bone and lots of arthritis. Going on 3 years of pain and walk w a limp. Every day hurts. Did gel injections PRP blah blah it’s time for tkr.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
2/14/2020 7:19pm
Mines been great so far. No complaints from the misses either 😉

captmoto
2/14/2020 10:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2020 10:22pm
Moto88 wrote:
Curious as to how long have you had your tkr? I’m 49 and dr says I’m bone on bone and lots of arthritis. Going on 3...
Curious as to how long have you had your tkr? I’m 49 and dr says I’m bone on bone and lots of arthritis. Going on 3 years of pain and walk w a limp. Every day hurts. Did gel injections PRP blah blah it’s time for tkr.
Yeah, you'll wonder why you waited to do it. Do everything you are supposed to do in PT. Don't wuss out.
I took a pretty good shot to my knee yesterday at Glen Helen. Like landing right on my knee. It was a little scary when I hit and for a few minutes after but today all I feel is a light bruising feeling.
I had my TKR in May of 18, was riding in early September 18.

The Shop

shuggs
2/15/2020 3:28am
Have been dealing with knee pain (both sides but left is worse) and here in UK unless I went private (cant afford that) I will not be considered for ‘new knee’ for a few years yet - 54 just now.

Got appt for a ‘wash out’ and a look inside knee in a few weeks.

Have had constant limp for over 1 year, going down stairs is total agony, sleep with pillow between knees. Sometimes really jealous of US healthcare even though you have to pay for it.

Getting older is not fun!!!!
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
2/15/2020 5:30am
captmoto wrote:
Yeah, you'll wonder why you waited to do it. Do everything you are supposed to do in PT. Don't wuss out. I took a pretty good...
Yeah, you'll wonder why you waited to do it. Do everything you are supposed to do in PT. Don't wuss out.
I took a pretty good shot to my knee yesterday at Glen Helen. Like landing right on my knee. It was a little scary when I hit and for a few minutes after but today all I feel is a light bruising feeling.
How is life after TKR? Is there any restrictions or precautions to be aware of? They say I’m to young for one (39) but I can’t manage this shit much longer!

jeffchappell
2/15/2020 5:36am
My knee was ready for one in my forty’s. They made me wait until I was 51. I’ve been climbing ladders and riding dirt bikes ever since. I’m 63 now and it’s a little stiff but strong, still climbing ladders and riding.
abn166
2/15/2020 9:40am

I had my left one done 7 years ago and the right one 3 years ago. I should have done them sooner. I was 52 when the left one was replaced. I do not ride with them but I do a lot of running. I have run 7 marathons since the left knee surgery. I can run as much as I want without knee pain. Before surgery, it was very painful to run. I also ride mountain bikes.
shuggs
5/12/2020 11:20am
Had latest appt with surgeon today after orthroscopy.

After more x-rays it turns out that I am putting too much pressure to inside of both knees, left ones is the worst - the gap that is meant to be there hardly exists. Due to covid-19 they are not allowed to do any non-emergency ops so I have knee brace to use for next couple of months in the hope that it helps.

Next steps are bone realignment if brace helps or total knee replacement.

Questions to any is have you had a bone realignment and if so with what result? Good or bad move? Recovery time? How was it after recovery?
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
5/12/2020 11:35am
shuggs wrote:
Had latest appt with surgeon today after orthroscopy. After more x-rays it turns out that I am putting too much pressure to inside of both knees...

After more x-rays it turns out that I am putting too much pressure to inside of both knees, left ones is the worst - the gap that is meant to be there hardly exists. Due to covid-19 they are not allowed to do any non-emergency ops so I have knee brace to use for next couple of months in the hope that it helps.

Questions to any is have you had a bone realignment and if so with what result? Good or bad move? Recovery time? How was it after recovery?
Explored that route with my surgeon. Decided against it. Sounds gnarly! Think I’m gonna try and go for the replacement around the holidays.
dimetime
5/12/2020 11:43am
Weirdly l got some nerve issues from my knee replacement. Not bad but there is some random buzzing and burning in my feet. Since l'm type 2 l thought that may be the issue but when l talked to the endocrinologist he said the way it's manifesting and since it appeared after knee replacement that that was most likely cause.

It's still better than the agony of non stop knee pain and have no regrets.

I find it kind of odd that some here don't ride but still run on replacements. Running was about the only thing my doc said to avoid. He knows l ride on it and he's never said not to either.
crowbar47
5/13/2020 12:14pm
shuggs wrote:
Have been dealing with knee pain (both sides but left is worse) and here in UK unless I went private (cant afford that) I will not...
Have been dealing with knee pain (both sides but left is worse) and here in UK unless I went private (cant afford that) I will not be considered for ‘new knee’ for a few years yet - 54 just now.

Got appt for a ‘wash out’ and a look inside knee in a few weeks.

Have had constant limp for over 1 year, going down stairs is total agony, sleep with pillow between knees. Sometimes really jealous of US healthcare even though you have to pay for it.

Getting older is not fun!!!!
I would suggest getting Ostenil injections in your knees, They offer some level of lubrication in the joint and lessen the pain, I think they cost around 100 quid for one knee.
Shredder
Fantasy
1242nd
5/13/2020 12:30pm
shuggs wrote:
Had latest appt with surgeon today after orthroscopy. After more x-rays it turns out that I am putting too much pressure to inside of both knees...

Dirtydeeds wrote:
Explored that route with my surgeon. Decided against it. Sounds gnarly! Think I’m gonna try and go for the replacement around the holidays.
@dirtydeeds, yours looks exactly like mine, in that I only needed to do one side of my knee, or what they call a Uni. Much less invasive surgery, and much faster recovery. Just don't get staph and have to have it redone. Ask me how I know that one...
5/13/2020 12:42pm
captmoto wrote:
Yeah, you'll wonder why you waited to do it. Do everything you are supposed to do in PT. Don't wuss out. I took a pretty good...
Dirtydeeds wrote:
How is life after TKR? Is there any restrictions or precautions to be aware of? They say I’m to young for one (39) but I can’t...
How is life after TKR? Is there any restrictions or precautions to be aware of? They say I’m to young for one (39) but I can’t manage this shit much longer!

Your knee needs to be replaced. You’re not too young. Yes you’ll probably need a revision down the road but so will a lot of other people
Nighttrain
5/13/2020 5:35pm
Mine was great post-op for the first 16 months. Now I’ve developed a problem that’s worse than pre-op. Very bad pain that limiting all activities. The surgeon did x-rays and a physical exam. He only recommended 2 weeks rest but I know that’s not going to make a difference because I’ve already rested it longer than 2 weeks.

Has anybody had scar tissue or tendonitis problems post-op with a TKR? What were those symptoms?

Post a reply to: Knee Replacement Upgrade

The Latest