LS2 Helmets any good?

Motodave15
2/13/2020 1:02pm
mxjon454 wrote:
Who is that helmet gaining popularity with? Riders at the tracks or desert weekend warrior and RZR riders? If a worker at chaparral told you they’re...
Who is that helmet gaining popularity with? Riders at the tracks or desert weekend warrior and RZR riders? If a worker at chaparral told you they’re gaining popularity then it’s probably with the weekend warrior and rzr drivers. I don’t believe they’re that popular at the tracks.
I've actually seen quite a few guys rocking them between perris and statefair. But i could be mistaking.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
2/13/2020 1:20pm
I have a Subverter which I like. Lightweight, comfy, crazy amount of ventilation (like finding dirt in your hair from so much venting). Well made too.

Couple of things I don't care for:
1: no decent place to mount a GoPro.
2: zero customer service. I emailed them asking about a solution to #1 and to inquire about the availability of different thickness cheek pads. No response.

6D will be my next helmet.
kawi_guy07
2/13/2020 2:46pm
I ended up going with the ATR-2. $440 shipped to my door brand new couldn't beat it. The more i looked at those LS2s the more i noticed how big the mouth piece was
Titan1
2/13/2020 3:14pm
I have a Subverter which I like. Lightweight, comfy, crazy amount of ventilation (like finding dirt in your hair from so much venting). Well made too...
I have a Subverter which I like. Lightweight, comfy, crazy amount of ventilation (like finding dirt in your hair from so much venting). Well made too.

2: zero customer service. I emailed them asking about a solution to #1 and to inquire about the availability of different thickness cheek pads. No response.

My experience is the same...

Did you ever find any place to mount a go pro? Only place I could thing of was under the visor (I'm seeing more and more guys doing that)...but havent tried yet....

The Shop

mxjon454
2/13/2020 7:33pm
kawi_guy07 wrote:
I ended up going with the ATR-2. $440 shipped to my door brand new couldn't beat it. The more i looked at those LS2s the more...
I ended up going with the ATR-2. $440 shipped to my door brand new couldn't beat it. The more i looked at those LS2s the more i noticed how big the mouth piece was
6D are great helmets and fit really well!! The mouth piece on the LS2 are even bigger in person, they’re seriously huge. You’ll be stoked with the 6D!
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
2/13/2020 9:41pm
I have a Subverter which I like. Lightweight, comfy, crazy amount of ventilation (like finding dirt in your hair from so much venting). Well made too...

Titan1 wrote:
My experience is the same... Did you ever find any place to mount a go pro? Only place I could thing of was under the visor...

Did you ever find any place to mount a go pro? Only place I could thing of was under the visor (I'm seeing more and more guys doing that)...but havent tried yet....
I did try it. The visor is very flexible and the video looked a bit like I was having a seizure while riding. Also, with the camera out that far the weight was very noticeable. I also tried using one of the mouth straps and it didn't work either.

Eventually I used double sided 3M foam tape on both sides of the ridge to "build up" a flat spot. Actually works just fine, but I can't help but think that LS2 missed an opportunity there.
Titan1
2/13/2020 11:11pm

Titan1 wrote:
My experience is the same... Did you ever find any place to mount a go pro? Only place I could thing of was under the visor...

I did try it. The visor is very flexible and the video looked a bit like I was having a seizure while riding. Also, with the...
I did try it. The visor is very flexible and the video looked a bit like I was having a seizure while riding. Also, with the camera out that far the weight was very noticeable. I also tried using one of the mouth straps and it didn't work either.

Eventually I used double sided 3M foam tape on both sides of the ridge to "build up" a flat spot. Actually works just fine, but I can't help but think that LS2 missed an opportunity there.
Good idea with the 3M foam tape...I hadn’t thought of that.
2/14/2020 12:31am
kawi_guy07 wrote:
I ended up going with the ATR-2. $440 shipped to my door brand new couldn't beat it. The more i looked at those LS2s the more...
I think once that 6D shows up you will realize you made the right choice. 6D moved the industry forward..absolutely love mine. Your family will thank you too should you ever get in a gnarly crash.
Tuna
2/14/2020 3:18am
So is there any actual proof that helmets like 6D, Fly Formula, Bell Flex etc are actually safer? Lots of test data but does that make it conclusive that they are safer? Same as neck braces. Seems like a pretty tough thing to test for.
fourfourone
2/14/2020 5:58am
Tuna wrote:
So is there any actual proof that helmets like 6D, Fly Formula, Bell Flex etc are actually safer? Lots of test data but does that make...
So is there any actual proof that helmets like 6D, Fly Formula, Bell Flex etc are actually safer? Lots of test data but does that make it conclusive that they are safer? Same as neck braces. Seems like a pretty tough thing to test for.
proof is in the data..... take a good look at how the impact testing works. I am a believer.
2/14/2020 8:26am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2020 8:28am
Tuna wrote:
So is there any actual proof that helmets like 6D, Fly Formula, Bell Flex etc are actually safer? Lots of test data but does that make...
As an engineer I can tell you the theory makes sense. Can we say which helmet is best without unbiased data? No. Personally I use a 6D(felt the technology first hand, it works). But from this test at Virginia Tech, I feel confident wearing a good brand with MIPS (my mtb helmet is a mips equipped Bell, which I have tested before too, ouch). The 6D ATB-1 surprised me as it is not near/on to top. https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html
artc
2/14/2020 10:29am
artc wrote:
I like mine. I believe Cristian [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/13/404053/s1200_2810C289_6F1E_4B9C_B06F_AD4E56536F7B.jpg[/img] Craig is sponsored by LS2
I like mine. I believe Cristian
Craig is sponsored by LS2
wsmille2 wrote:
Hes sponsored by Fox Helmets

My mistake, Kyle Chisholim
Titan1
2/14/2020 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2020 12:59pm
Tuna wrote:
As an engineer I can tell you the theory makes sense. Can we say which helmet is best without unbiased data? No. Personally I use a...
As an engineer I can tell you the theory makes sense. Can we say which helmet is best without unbiased data? No. Personally I use a 6D(felt the technology first hand, it works). But from this test at Virginia Tech, I feel confident wearing a good brand with MIPS (my mtb helmet is a mips equipped Bell, which I have tested before too, ouch). The 6D ATB-1 surprised me as it is not near/on to top. https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html
I'd be satisfied with an independent test, where multiple MX helmets were all tested exactly the same way (which I assume was the case with that MTB helmet test). Do you know of any mx helmet tests like that (that weren't commission/performed by a helmet manufacturer)?

And I know that MTB and MX crashes can be different...but the 6D helmet that low, and the MIPS helmets all so high really makes me think the 6D tech is more marketing ploy than safety feature...
xrmark
2/14/2020 1:03pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'd be satisfied with an independent test, where multiple MX helmets were all tested exactly the same way (which I assume was the case with that...
I'd be satisfied with an independent test, where multiple MX helmets were all tested exactly the same way (which I assume was the case with that MTB helmet test). Do you know of any mx helmet tests like that (that weren't commission/performed by a helmet manufacturer)?

And I know that MTB and MX crashes can be different...but the 6D helmet that low, and the MIPS helmets all so high really makes me think the 6D tech is more marketing ploy than safety feature...
All the research is there for you to look at. I’m pretty sure keefer has done a helmet test too. To say it’s a marketing ploy is just ignorant. 6D helmets work and are fully worth it.
Titan1
2/14/2020 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2020 1:57pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'd be satisfied with an independent test, where multiple MX helmets were all tested exactly the same way (which I assume was the case with that...

xrmark wrote:
All the research is there for you to look at. I’m pretty sure keefer has done a helmet test too. To say it’s a marketing ploy...
All the research is there for you to look at. I’m pretty sure keefer has done a helmet test too. To say it’s a marketing ploy is just ignorant. 6D helmets work and are fully worth it.
Why did they perform so poorly in that mountain bike test while the MIPS helmets performed so much better?

I can buy a MIPS helmet for $220 (like this LS2 helmet)...a 6D costs double that (on clearance), Triple at MSRP...

Is MIPS only a superior system in the MTB demo...but inferior in the MX demo? Or are there other reasons the 6D MTB helmet did so poorly (flaws that aren't there in their moto helmet?)

Nothing against Keefer...but he's no scientist...and nothing against 6D, but there is way to much bias for me to trust anything on their website. Or is there an independent test out there that I don't know about?

Edit: Those are honest questions...I'm not trying to be dismissive or sarcastic. I'd genuinely love to see an unbiased, well informed, well conducted test for MX helmets-just like that one for MTB helmets. Please point me in the right direction if one already exists. I haven't come across one.

Motodave15
2/14/2020 2:59pm
Titan1 wrote:

xrmark wrote:
All the research is there for you to look at. I’m pretty sure keefer has done a helmet test too. To say it’s a marketing ploy...
Titan1 wrote:
Why did they perform so poorly in that mountain bike test while the MIPS helmets performed so much better? I can buy a MIPS helmet for...
Why did they perform so poorly in that mountain bike test while the MIPS helmets performed so much better?

I can buy a MIPS helmet for $220 (like this LS2 helmet)...a 6D costs double that (on clearance), Triple at MSRP...

Is MIPS only a superior system in the MTB demo...but inferior in the MX demo? Or are there other reasons the 6D MTB helmet did so poorly (flaws that aren't there in their moto helmet?)

Nothing against Keefer...but he's no scientist...and nothing against 6D, but there is way to much bias for me to trust anything on their website. Or is there an independent test out there that I don't know about?

Edit: Those are honest questions...I'm not trying to be dismissive or sarcastic. I'd genuinely love to see an unbiased, well informed, well conducted test for MX helmets-just like that one for MTB helmets. Please point me in the right direction if one already exists. I haven't come across one.

This is what i want as well.

According to pingree101 there was a test conducted but the poweres that be got involved quick and ended anything else about it.
AxlBundy
2/14/2020 10:26pm
I think they look pretty cool. Got one for my kid on close out. The venting looks fabulous. The GoPro situation is poor. I too condsidered the 3M tape, but ran with a proshot mount. Still might. The kid is 4 so the GoPro out front isn’t the best idea for young necks. I’d also like to chime in that my kid has moved into an adult small. The shell size of this helmet is huge. Looks like a stadium mascot on him.
That said, I wear a 3x bell, if I could find a big enough LS2, I’d buy one myself

Motocrossjunky
Fantasy
1071st
2/15/2020 12:32am
I personally like it when a helmet is not just super safe, but also looks good. The LS2 helmet is ugly as sin IMO so I’d pass.
JGriff
2/15/2020 8:54am

Titan1 wrote:

I did try it. The visor is very flexible and the video looked a bit like I was having a seizure while riding. Also, with the...

No specific history with LS2 helmets, but others have spoken highly of Dango Designs gripper mount. The guys at Upshift Online have used it quite a bit and reviewed it on their site. Might be an option with LS2.

https://www.upshiftonline.com/magazine-issue/january-2019?rq=dango

https://www.upshiftonline.com/store/dango-designs-gripper-mount

In the past, I've grooved out the 3M foam tape to fit the top of my (old) Fly F2 carbon helmet. Worked well and never had any issues.
Top End
2/15/2020 9:08am
I think they have been making helmets for about 30 years.

Post a reply to: LS2 Helmets any good?

The Latest