Lake whitney mx 6 years after closure!

Ehopson
10/30/2016 10:19am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2019 2:30pm
Well as curiosity started to build 6 years later, i have started to wonder exactly what was done to the historical lake whitney track after it was closed. Did it still exist, but abandoned? Was a nieghborhood built their now? I decided to google earth the place, and im quite sad what this place looks like now. Its all grass now but with decades of racing here, the visible trenches are still visible were the track once was! Whats really haunting is the start gate/canopy are still their, were thousands of races were started, also the old trophy area! ! Even the legendary hill is so green now, unless you raced this place before, you would never know this existed! Just curious, has anyone drove out their to see and take pictures in person? I am thinking of making the trip out their soon, think it would be fun to walk around were the old track was. It looks like the road is open to drive through 2 different ways, dont see any gates, looks like anyone could drive in. What do you guys think? [/img][/img]
|
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
10/30/2016 10:22am
Sad, really. It was closed to become a hunting reserve.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
10/30/2016 10:51am
We had a lot of fun on that track. Some great memories and a few sad ones too. I have a freind of mine that lives 10 minutes from that track, we always stayed with him when we went there. The burrito place down the hill was our every day breakfast spot.
Ehopson
10/30/2016 11:17am
Have heard about it turning into a hunting facility too, not sure if its true or not, but i heard housing was permited to be built around this facility. They knew it was inevitable, and would be a losing battle, due to the noise, so they sold it! Man could you imagine what you could find out their! Under that grass is probably millions of tear offs! And no tellin what else!
Beast666
10/30/2016 11:33am
Raced there a few times and always had a great time. The ruts made or broke your race there.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
10/30/2016 11:50am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2016 11:51am
Ehopson wrote:
Have heard about it turning into a hunting facility too, not sure if its true or not, but i heard housing was permited to be built...
Have heard about it turning into a hunting facility too, not sure if its true or not, but i heard housing was permited to be built around this facility. They knew it was inevitable, and would be a losing battle, due to the noise, so they sold it! Man could you imagine what you could find out their! Under that grass is probably millions of tear offs! And no tellin what else!
It already was a hunting facility before they closed the track. They just expanded. Dont think it was a housing (think rifles) or noise issue, rather a business decision.
Cygnus
10/30/2016 11:52am
This always kills me that permits for surveys and such have to be done when opened by a track bank t when left alone in 2 years you would never know a race was held.
10/30/2016 12:10pm
Abandoned places have always fascinated me. Disused hospitals, schools. theme parks that sort of thing. My brother was lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) enough to visit Pripyat close to where the Chernobyl disaster happened.

Same goes for MX tracks that closed down but you can still make out the track layout, jumps & what not. If you don't know the history it makes you think, why did it close? when did close?

I remember they was a thread about the track at Troy, the track was still there but covered in grass.
JAFO92
10/30/2016 12:32pm
The best dirt in Texas is at that property. Riding the 'mountain' was always a thrill.
WRH
10/30/2016 12:57pm
Took off from that starting line about 40 years ago. The track was certainly a national styled track. Hard to get a win from Lake Whitney... they didn't come easy.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
10/30/2016 1:02pm
I have a few trophies from there
Graybeard
Fantasy
2478th
10/30/2016 1:15pm
So bummed I missed this track, never got a chance to race it, and all the vets I race with tell epic stories from there. What track would you all who have raced it compare it to?
krypto71
10/30/2016 1:28pm
We lost our track at the end of 2015 out at the Barrabool Hills near Geelong, Victoria at the end of 2015. Flowing outdoor track through the hills. Steep history and I drove past there a few weeks ago, and if you didn't know what used to be there you wouldn't see it now. If you know you can still make out where the track was however with all the jumps gone it is just paddock now.
brocster
10/30/2016 1:43pm
I am so glad I got to roll my tires around that circuit at probably the last race that was ever held there. Lake Whitney. Check!
WRH
10/30/2016 1:47pm
Somebody has a Chuck Sun picture they could post about now!
moscrop940
10/30/2016 2:25pm
Lake Whitney will always hold a special plate in my heart.

Not only for the amazing layout with heavenly dirt, but that's the place I met a friend that introduced me to his sister, and 11 years later we are married with a little girl.

From what I recall, they were shutting it down so they could build hunting loges, but the above photo shows otherwise.

Can't understand how the town allowed that to happen. The amount of money the moto community would bring to that town was massive....
flymoto
10/30/2016 2:59pm
Really sad. As others have said it always fascinates me to find old tracks like this and check them out. There's a few over here I have heard a lot about and gone to have a look at, love to think of all the memories and people ripping around these awesome tracks back then. Majority could be re opened without anything too major aswel
mb60
10/30/2016 3:10pm
Loved this place racing in the 80's and 90's. Still the best 125 race was 83 National with Ward, Lechien ,Omara and Barnett. The place could still be racing today if Bruce Whitehead had not shut it down. Sad for all the memories we had that the track still sits idle.
Dtat720
10/30/2016 3:14pm
My first time at lake whitney showed me i wasnt nearly as fast as i thought i was. Place was jammin in the early 90's. Just epic weekends every time
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
10/30/2016 3:17pm
Anybody else remember Langford and Emig chasing each other through the big right handed sweeper, both standing on the pegs, wide open on 80's?

Both had open faces. Langford, goggles only, with mouth open and Emig with the Venturi mask. Would make epic pictures!
MX4EVR
10/30/2016 3:34pm
Never thought getting 8th place overall was that great
Until I raced there and the place was wall to wall motor homes from all over the country
Rv2 won all the 80cc class and dungey got 5th
I was sandbagging in the 250 beg class with the other sandbaggers
Track was awesome

One of the best places I have ever raced at
Polarbear332
Fantasy
692nd
10/30/2016 3:37pm
That place was without a doubt the best track in Texas. Before going there, people would describe the dirt in the morning as gooey brownies. Being the first practice and just holding it wide open down the start is a memory I will never forget.

First race there I ran up front all weekend. Next race was the Amateur National, and I could only muster mid pack. My eyes were opened wide that day, and it made me quickly realize this would be just a hobby for the rest of my life. The braking bumps for the second motos were like whoops all over the track, and no matter which rut you chose going up the faces of the jumps, each of them would have massive kickers in them.

My dad and I tried to sleep in our enclosed trailer without heat, and that didn't last but two nights. Luckily Ozzy Barbaree and his dad were next to us, and they let us sleep in their RV. Perfect way to say thank you at the end of the week was for my dad to break the fold out cot...haha! Will never forget that week!

Sorry for being long winded....that place was truley a special place!
MarkF
10/30/2016 4:02pm
I raced an AMA national there in 1983. What an epic place. It happened to be my best national finish. I went 6-8 for 7th overall in the 125 class. It was very hot and after the second moto I chugged two Coca Cola's and jumped in the river. Then went back to my hotel and puked it all up before I made to the room. It wasn't pretty. Ah the good ole days.
Ehopson
10/30/2016 4:06pm
Abandoned places have always fascinated me. Disused hospitals, schools. theme parks that sort of thing. My brother was lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look...
Abandoned places have always fascinated me. Disused hospitals, schools. theme parks that sort of thing. My brother was lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) enough to visit Pripyat close to where the Chernobyl disaster happened.

Same goes for MX tracks that closed down but you can still make out the track layout, jumps & what not. If you don't know the history it makes you think, why did it close? when did close?

I remember they was a thread about the track at Troy, the track was still there but covered in grass.
Things like this fascinate me too! I live an hour away and am thinking of making the drive out to check it out and take lots of pics. Think it would be cool to take my old lake whitney trophy and take pictures of it with the place like it is now. Im just afraid if i drive all that way, they might try to run me out. Looks like 3 houses are on the brazos right behind the start area so im pretty sure i can drive in, just may be eerie walking around if bullets could be flying around! Im dying to go take pictures of it the way it looks now!, and walk the once rippin track that i could walk around with my eyes closed!
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
10/30/2016 4:09pm
Still to this day, I remember where Glass' Surf box-van was parked.
wb173
10/30/2016 4:22pm
My Avatar is finish line corner... 1987! Great memories which help me put a lot of things in perspective today!

wb173
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
10/30/2016 4:23pm
It's painful to look at now. I was just talking to somebody today about how great that place was. I have so many memories from that place. So many memories from Mosier Valley, too. Both long gone now. Sad
Ehopson
10/30/2016 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2016 4:33pm
731chopper wrote:
It's painful to look at now. I was just talking to somebody today about how great that place was. I have so many memories from that...
It's painful to look at now. I was just talking to somebody today about how great that place was. I have so many memories from that place. So many memories from Mosier Valley, too. Both long gone now. Sad
My buddy said Mosier valley actually is an abandoned ghost track now! Says alot of people ride their bicycles on the old deminished jumps. Think he said only half the track still their? Not eactly sure. been wanting to check mosier out too, do you know mossiers address? Curious to google earth and see, even though it might be hard with all the tree cover!
10/30/2016 4:32pm
Lots of memories from that track over the years..... GNC Finals, Good Time Nationals and many Texas Series races. You really had to bring your A-game, be in shape, and get ready to hang it out. And the locals really had an advantage on the concrete starting pad. Great track!
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
10/30/2016 4:56pm
Ehopson wrote:
My buddy said Mosier valley actually is an abandoned ghost track now! Says alot of people ride their bicycles on the old deminished jumps. Think he...
My buddy said Mosier valley actually is an abandoned ghost track now! Says alot of people ride their bicycles on the old deminished jumps. Think he said only half the track still their? Not eactly sure. been wanting to check mosier out too, do you know mossiers address? Curious to google earth and see, even though it might be hard with all the tree cover!
I believe this is it. Type in that address and you'll find it. It's hardly even recognizable in that photo.

Post a reply to: Lake whitney mx 6 years after closure!

The Latest