Las Cruces NM moto scene?

Sparkey
5/30/2018 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2021 8:40am
Might be heading there for years to come. How is the moto scene or is it more desert right from garage type of thing

Thx in advance
|
jtiger12
5/30/2018 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 5:32pm
No idea about moto, but I've been there once. There ain't much of anything out in the hills except for sand, brush, and rocks.

Check out pecan grill and brewery. Damn good food and pecan beer. The Mexican food there is outstanding
plowboy
5/30/2018 5:39pm
Sparkey wrote:
Might be heading there for years to come. How is the moto scene or is it more desert right from garage type of thing Thx in...
Might be heading there for years to come. How is the moto scene or is it more desert right from garage type of thing

Thx in advance
You poor bastard. Was Hell not an option?
JWACK
5/30/2018 5:39pm
Over the mountain range in Alamogordo there is a place called tularosa. I haven't been there in a few years but it's an awesome track. Lots of desert free riding in Cruces. I'm up in Albuquerque so if you find your self up this way I know a few cool spots.
JWACK
5/30/2018 5:40pm
Sparkey wrote:
Might be heading there for years to come. How is the moto scene or is it more desert right from garage type of thing Thx in...

Thx in advance
plowboy wrote:
No hell would be Lubbock Texas! No real riding anywhere close!

The Shop

plowboy
5/30/2018 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 5:51pm
Sparkey wrote:

Thx in advance
plowboy wrote:
JWACK wrote:
I have a guy at work from NM. He goes back every year for riding. A mix of bikes and quads. Mostly single track mountain stuff. I believe the Tularosa area is where he goes. Cloudcroft is a little slice of heaven.
2stroked
5/30/2018 6:20pm
Sparkey wrote:

Thx in advance
plowboy wrote:
JWACK wrote:
Did the national hare and hound in Kilgary just outside lubbock back in march. Was pretty epic and a good mix of a lot of fun stuff. All enduro/woods/off road stuff though, no moto. West texas in general is just cotton and oil fields for miles. So much oil you can smell it in the air, and there's dozens of smokestack fires. Kind of looks like kuwait back in '91.

Also did a NHHA in espanola, NM back in '16. That was a lot of fun, great variety of stuff to ride up there. There was also a NHHA in alamogordo last year (tarantula 100) and it was a lot of fast whoopy sandy stuff. Not nearly as a fun as the espanola round.

If you do go to NM, the food is world class. Get you some christmas enchiladas and soapapilla's and you'll never want to leave!
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2520th
5/30/2018 6:33pm
Tularosa is hands down the best track in NM.
forehead
5/30/2018 8:29pm
Born and raised there. Been in CA since '93. Go back a couple times of year sometimes to ride but mostly to visit. MX scene is shit but if you're in to endless desert riding it's epic. Used to be a track called Stahman Farms but it's a skeleton now. Some fast guys came out of there Travis Hodges, Mike Chiudoni, Mike Archuleta. Tommy Black, Kyle Abney. Tularosa is by far the best 70 miles east. Southwest Suzuki is in Alamogordo before you get to Tularosa great guys, good friends Dave Sturgess knows the scene and rides and races regularly in Tulie and Cloudcroft. Just my $.02
MotoCoUSA
5/31/2018 6:25am
Sparkey wrote:

Thx in advance
Like some others said, Tularosa is definitely the best moto spot anywhere in that area. I was stationed at Ft. Bliss (El Paso) for 5-ish years (left in '11) and there are some fun sand dunes east of El Paso (probably 1.5hrs from Cruces). I was out there last February and the main area has been trashed by people partying, but the dunes are still decent to have fun on and then you ride for 100+ miles if you want to from there. There's also a place called 'the wall' in santa Theresa which is about 30 mins south of Cruces which is ok to ride. Bottom line is there is endless amounts of desert riding in that area which to me is awesome. You can also hit up the national forest in the Cloudcroft and Ruidoso areas which is some amazing mountain riding. If you want a good challenge there is a race called the Tarantula 100 in Alamogordo every year which a lot of people go to.

Theres a couple tracks east of El Paso as well but I have no idea about the condition of them nowadays. One called Motoxball or something weird like that and I don't know about the other one. There is also a track in Juarez Mexico but I HIGHLY recommend you stay out of that area in Mexico... very bad place to be.

Anyways, I'm very familiar with that area so send me a message if you want to and I can give you addresses and points on the map for places to ride.

Cheers.
gt757
5/31/2018 7:15am
Sparkey wrote:

Thx in advance
MotoCoUSA wrote:
Like some others said, Tularosa is definitely the best moto spot anywhere in that area. I was stationed at Ft. Bliss (El Paso) for 5-ish years...
Like some others said, Tularosa is definitely the best moto spot anywhere in that area. I was stationed at Ft. Bliss (El Paso) for 5-ish years (left in '11) and there are some fun sand dunes east of El Paso (probably 1.5hrs from Cruces). I was out there last February and the main area has been trashed by people partying, but the dunes are still decent to have fun on and then you ride for 100+ miles if you want to from there. There's also a place called 'the wall' in santa Theresa which is about 30 mins south of Cruces which is ok to ride. Bottom line is there is endless amounts of desert riding in that area which to me is awesome. You can also hit up the national forest in the Cloudcroft and Ruidoso areas which is some amazing mountain riding. If you want a good challenge there is a race called the Tarantula 100 in Alamogordo every year which a lot of people go to.

Theres a couple tracks east of El Paso as well but I have no idea about the condition of them nowadays. One called Motoxball or something weird like that and I don't know about the other one. There is also a track in Juarez Mexico but I HIGHLY recommend you stay out of that area in Mexico... very bad place to be.

Anyways, I'm very familiar with that area so send me a message if you want to and I can give you addresses and points on the map for places to ride.

Cheers.
I've been to all three of them, Tularosa is the best followed by Juarez's track and then Xmotoball, they just picked up that track again and is fairly easy because they are a little limited in space.

Juarez

El Paso
MotoCoUSA
5/31/2018 8:35am
gt757 wrote:
I've been to all three of them, Tularosa is the best followed by Juarez's track and then Xmotoball, they just picked up that track again and...
I've been to all three of them, Tularosa is the best followed by Juarez's track and then Xmotoball, they just picked up that track again and is fairly easy because they are a little limited in space.

Juarez

El Paso
Ive always heard that the Juarez track was legit, but when I got to El Paso in 07, we (Army) were not allowed to go to there for any reason.
Kyle978
2/10/2021 6:11am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2021 6:41am
I wanted to bump this to the top, I am in Las Cruces for about 6 months for a project.

I am aware of Tulie MX, but it looks like they are only open for practice on race weekends.

X Motoball in El Paso has no mention of motocross since 2018.

Anyone know of any other options? And OP, are you still out here? If so, let’s ride! I’m headed to Moriarty MX on Saturday for a practice day. 3.5 hours but I’m in for it 👍🏼
JWACK
2/10/2021 7:01am
Kyle978 wrote:
I wanted to bump this to the top, I am in Las Cruces for about 6 months for a project. I am aware of Tulie MX...
I wanted to bump this to the top, I am in Las Cruces for about 6 months for a project.

I am aware of Tulie MX, but it looks like they are only open for practice on race weekends.

Anyone know of any other options? And OP, are you still out here? If so, let’s ride! I’m headed to Moriarty MX on Saturday for a practice day. 3.5 hours but I’m in for it 👍🏼
I don’t think I will be at moriarty this weekend (stupid work) but if you make another trip up this way hit me up! There are a few tracks out in the desert that are fun and challenging.
MotoCoUSA
2/10/2021 7:06am
Kyle978 wrote:
I wanted to bump this to the top, I am in Las Cruces for about 6 months for a project. I am aware of Tulie MX...

There is plenty of desert riding out there if youd want to do that. Sand dunes east of El paso, and a large riding area just south of Alamogordo. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I can give you some spots to check out.
Sparkey
2/10/2021 7:59am
Kyle978 wrote:

Kyle, thx for reaching out. I left Las Cruces Dec 2020. Traded desert for beaches and living on Oahu. There was discussion about Mx at the Vado speedway property, but Rona slowed that down. Enjoy the great food and laid back community
Kyle978
2/10/2021 5:59pm
JWACK wrote:
I don’t think I will be at moriarty this weekend (stupid work) but if you make another trip up this way hit me up! There are...
I don’t think I will be at moriarty this weekend (stupid work) but if you make another trip up this way hit me up! There are a few tracks out in the desert that are fun and challenging.
Yes sir, I will be making many trips up that way. I’d definitely like to connect, if you don’t mind shoot me you email and we can exchange numbers. Thanks!

Practice changed from Sunday to Saturday due to weather if that makes it any easier for you to make it this weekend.

Take care!
Kyle978
2/10/2021 5:59pm
MotoCoUSA wrote:
There is plenty of desert riding out there if youd want to do that. Sand dunes east of El paso, and a large riding area just...
There is plenty of desert riding out there if youd want to do that. Sand dunes east of El paso, and a large riding area just south of Alamogordo. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I can give you some spots to check out.
That would be great, sending a PM now. Thanks!
Kyle978
2/10/2021 6:03pm
Sparkey wrote:
Kyle, thx for reaching out. I left Las Cruces Dec 2020. Traded desert for beaches and living on Oahu. There was discussion about Mx at the...
Kyle, thx for reaching out. I left Las Cruces Dec 2020. Traded desert for beaches and living on Oahu. There was discussion about Mx at the Vado speedway property, but Rona slowed that down. Enjoy the great food and laid back community
Man, talk about polar opposite climates lol. Good for you, I hope you enjoy it over there!

I’ve been liking LC a lot. My company opened a manufacturing facility there last year so I’ve been making visits, but now I’m here full time. I’ve enjoyed the mountain biking, food and laid back atmosphere, that’s for sure. Not to mention I am renting a very nice home for $2,000/month, which is absolutely insane to me coming from California 😂

Take care!
RGaede
2/10/2021 6:30pm
Kyle978 wrote:

Im planning to be at Moriarty this weekend, 373 on either a kx450 or kx250. Silver truck.
JWACK
2/10/2021 7:46pm
JWACK wrote:
I don’t think I will be at moriarty this weekend (stupid work) but if you make another trip up this way hit me up! There are...
Kyle978 wrote:
Yes sir, I will be making many trips up that way. I’d definitely like to connect, if you don’t mind shoot me you email and we...
Yes sir, I will be making many trips up that way. I’d definitely like to connect, if you don’t mind shoot me you email and we can exchange numbers. Thanks!

Practice changed from Sunday to Saturday due to weather if that makes it any easier for you to make it this weekend.

Take care!
Your profile doesn’t have the PM link for some reason.
Shoot me an email Builtotride a t gmail.
MotoCoUSA
2/10/2021 7:49pm
MotoCoUSA wrote:
There is plenty of desert riding out there if youd want to do that. Sand dunes east of El paso, and a large riding area just...
Kyle978 wrote:
That would be great, sending a PM now. Thanks!
Didn’t see a pm, but hit me up at motocousa@gmail.com
2/10/2021 8:23pm
I don’t see how moto is possible in this wasteland called NM. Been here since January 1st.
JWACK
2/10/2021 8:30pm
I don’t see how moto is possible in this wasteland called NM. Been here since January 1st.
Where are you at ?
Kyle978
2/10/2021 8:53pm
RGaede wrote:
Im planning to be at Moriarty this weekend, 373 on either a kx450 or kx250. Silver truck.
Nice! I’ll be on the lookout.

I’ll be on a fresh ‘21 kawi 450 with no numbers, white GMC pickup. I hope to cross paths with you 👊🏼
Kyle978
2/10/2021 8:54pm
MotoCoUSA wrote:
Didn’t see a pm, but hit me up at motocousa@gmail.com
Yeah I’m having issues with PM for some reason, sending an email now. Thanks!
2/10/2021 9:02pm
i spent about a year in carlsbad. they have a track there, but i cant remember the name of it. they had an arenacross race in hobbs. i think jace owen won that night. that was pretty cool. one day while on the job in malaga i stumbled upon this track while looking on google earth. i tried to get to it but there was a fence around the place. have always wondered who owned it or has ridden it.

2/11/2021 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2021 5:19pm
Tularosa is hands down the best track in NM.
Really!!!?? I haven't been yet. Furthest south I've gone is Moriarty. Oh, wait... I think that's the ONLY track I've ridden in NM. We usually head north to CO.

Gotta make it to Tulie!

Video from Moriarty:

https://youtu.be/gQwzzYfhIyc

Magic Man
2/11/2021 8:19pm
Kyle978 wrote:

I'm also a burque guy. Won't be a Moriarty this weekend, (going fishing before e storm hits), but otherwise I'd meet up.Also an avid mountain biker, let's hook up for a weekend of mtb and moto next month.
Kyle978
2/11/2021 9:38pm
Magic Man wrote:
I'm also a burque guy. Won't be a Moriarty this weekend, (going fishing before e storm hits), but otherwise I'd meet up.Also an avid mountain biker...
I'm also a burque guy. Won't be a Moriarty this weekend, (going fishing before e storm hits), but otherwise I'd meet up.Also an avid mountain biker, let's hook up for a weekend of mtb and moto next month.
That would be awesome, thanks for reaching out.

Shoot me an email kjennett@bigtunapipe.com so we can exchange info. I look forward to it, good luck this weekend 👊🏼
2/11/2021 10:24pm
We go riding at Aden off road park, about 15 miles West on I-10. They do the Corrolitos 100 there, we run pretty much that loop at a decent pace. During the summer we ride up in Cloudcroft or Ruidoso. I haven't been to Tuli mainly because I'm busy running my track most weekend, but knobbies don't work well at my place. Smile

Post a reply to: Las Cruces NM moto scene?

The Latest