Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

jlchapman117
7/30/2018 1:09pm
Just got mine a few days ago, the motor is awesome.
Anyone know where I can get extra air filters? I’ve looked on multiple websites and I can’t find any that have them for the 19.
I’m taking a road trip to California next month and I was hoping to get enough filters to not have to change them for the week.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
7/30/2018 1:33pm
Seth - I got mine in MN for $8600 + tax, no other fees. BR8ES - honestly just kinda went for it. I had crashed my...
Seth - I got mine in MN for $8600 + tax, no other fees.

BR8ES - honestly just kinda went for it. I had crashed my brains out on my old 250SX so many times I was sick of it.

Not going to lie though, first couple laps were weird. On one hand, it had been 2 years since I had ridden (At the same track I was at actually lol) on the other hand it felt like nothing had changed.

I actually really enjoyed riding my new 450 though, I'm excited to go ride it again, which is something I haven't said in a long time.

Now, when does the 2020 KX250F come out Evil
Nice! I'd assume you'd have to give a handy to get anywhere near that price in CA. I'd love to try the 250f version of this thing and I'm a 2stroke guy.

The Shop

Markopolo400
7/30/2018 1:46pm
I'm a 2-stroke guy at heart too. But man is pushing a button nice lol.

Still have my 06 KX250 sitting next to the 450. And maybe someday I will finish the 250 project Laughing

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
7/30/2018 1:49pm
Deven Raper was racing one last weekend at Washougal.
datkin128
7/30/2018 3:25pm
FLmxer wrote:
I had my heart set on that crf450we but have been thinking of switching to Kawi this time. I have felt like my last crf the...
I had my heart set on that crf450we but have been thinking of switching to Kawi this time. I have felt like my last crf the 2015 was too small in the egos for me at 6'2" and just not to happy with the feel of that gen bike. I absolutely loved the 15 kxf but the 16 felt like my 15 Honda. Is the 19 kxf comfortable in the seated and standing position for a taller guy? I hated that my knees are above my shroud and tank on my crf. It feels like there is nothing to grip with my legs. I have been off the bike for too long but my health is better and need to get back out there.
I'm 6'3" and think it feels fine...
50dippin
7/30/2018 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2018 3:36pm
Seth - I got mine in MN for $8600 + tax, no other fees. BR8ES - honestly just kinda went for it. I had crashed my...

BR8ES - honestly just kinda went for it. I had crashed my brains out on my old 250SX so many times I was sick of it.

Not going to lie though, first couple laps were weird. On one hand, it had been 2 years since I had ridden (At the same track I was at actually lol) on the other hand it felt like nothing had changed.

I actually really enjoyed riding my new 450 though, I'm excited to go ride it again, which is something I haven't said in a long time.

seth505 wrote:
Nice! I'd assume you'd have to give a handy to get anywhere near that price in CA. I'd love to try the 250f version of this...
Nice! I'd assume you'd have to give a handy to get anywhere near that price in CA. I'd love to try the 250f version of this thing and I'm a 2stroke guy.
I went to 4 dealers and called about 10 before I bought mine. Most here in Socal weren't going below 12k otd! and they were selling out. I got the first one of the two this dealer had, and the other was gone before I came back to pick mine up an hour later, likely because they were much more resonable. Hopefully as more come in they can get a bit more reasonable with the pricing but most people probably aren't getting one for less than 10 for a while.
Also, I saw a 2019 raptor at my local ford dealer, after the 74k msrp they added on 25k mark up. That's a 33% mark up! At least we aren't there yet with dirt bikes, but I can imagine that we crf going for quite a bit of mark up.
BR8ES
7/30/2018 3:34pm

That is great man, thanks for the honesty. Awesome choice for a bike to come back on.
jlchapman117
7/31/2018 12:32pm
DB97 wrote:
Not sure I tried to buy twin airs from my dealer they didn't have them yet.
I just looked in Kawasaki’s website and it says the filter for the 19 250 and 450 is the same part number.

I just found some 19 250 filters on rocky mountain
7/31/2018 12:35pm
I'm a 2-stroke guy at heart too. But man is pushing a button nice lol. Still have my 06 KX250 sitting next to the 450. And...
I'm a 2-stroke guy at heart too. But man is pushing a button nice lol.

Still have my 06 KX250 sitting next to the 450. And maybe someday I will finish the 250 project Laughing

I want a KX250 again so bad Sad I miss my '05.
Markopolo400
7/31/2018 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 12:38pm
I was under the impression the air filters were different. https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts shows that they are different?

2019 KX450 - 11013-0773
2019 KX250 - 11013-0766
jlchapman117
7/31/2018 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 1:57pm
I was under the impression the air filters were different. https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts shows that they are different?

2019 KX450 - 11013-0773
2019 KX250 - 11013-0766
Good call, on Kawasaki’s website it only showed the 11013 until you clicked to order it, then it showed the rest of the number.

The Ktmparts.com seemed legit. I may give it a shot. Seems to be the only option...
The only bad thing about getting a new bike #firstworldproblems
Greenguy
7/31/2018 3:30pm
I love mine. Right at 10 hours on it now. Came off a '16 with spring conversion forks. This bike is better in every way. The bike is easier to change direction on, more flickable in the air, feels lighter, good power. The clutch is awesome. I've ridden buddies KTM's and was worried about the clutch, but it has a much better feel than a KTM. Not sure what pipe I'll buy, but the stocker seems pretty good. Paint the end cap black, it looks much better.
Markopolo400
8/1/2018 11:02am
Just got off the phone with Twin Air, they have shipped filters to all their major distributors, but called the KTM-Parts place and they don't actually stock the filters they would have to order them.
50dippin
8/1/2018 11:33am
Has anyone tried any aftermarket exhausts yet?
DB97
8/1/2018 11:44am
50dippin wrote:
Has anyone tried any aftermarket exhausts yet?
I just bought a PC pipe should be Friday or Monday.
zb658
8/1/2018 12:43pm
Ordered my FMF monday 7/30/18. Called today said they should start shipping on August 13th.
50dippin
8/1/2018 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2018 1:04pm
Transworld posted on instagram they were reviewing the fmf last week but I haven't seen it out yet. But the fmf looks like it has a shorter header than stock. I don't claim to know how to build exhausts better than these companies, but I would think they would lengthen the header so they can shorten the bazzoka silencer a bit. Imo whoever makes the shortest silencer is probably going to sell the most.

8/1/2018 1:23pm
50dippin wrote:
Transworld posted on instagram they were reviewing the fmf last week but I haven't seen it out yet. But the fmf looks like it has a...
Transworld posted on instagram they were reviewing the fmf last week but I haven't seen it out yet. But the fmf looks like it has a shorter header than stock. I don't claim to know how to build exhausts better than these companies, but I would think they would lengthen the header so they can shorten the bazzoka silencer a bit. Imo whoever makes the shortest silencer is probably going to sell the most.

I agree, that muffler is way too long. It isn't as bad as the stock one though. Kawasaki really makes the ugliest stock mufflers.
JBecker 72
8/1/2018 1:38pm
50dippin wrote:
Transworld posted on instagram they were reviewing the fmf last week but I haven't seen it out yet. But the fmf looks like it has a...

I agree, that muffler is way too long. It isn't as bad as the stock one though. Kawasaki really makes the ugliest stock mufflers.
Ain’t that the truth. But I think the stock 19 definitely looks better than what came on my 16.
DB97
8/1/2018 1:50pm

The PC pipe looks shorter but hard to tell. I'll compare them once I have it.
opyguy
8/1/2018 2:18pm
Dirtbiketest .com
Has a review of the FMF up
pete24
8/1/2018 5:05pm
i have a 19 kx 450 here and it looks to me a 13 and under ktm 250 xc air filter will fit ill comfirm friday
when one shows up
datkin128
8/1/2018 8:34pm
50dippin wrote:

It might not be the sexiest muffler, but I like the looks better than my stock 16 and it actually works so much better than the 16 one did. After riding the bike a couple times I have no problem with the muffler, in fact I really like it because it’s not so damn obnoxious like before.
Markopolo400
8/2/2018 9:23am
I emailed Keefer about the FMF system and actually heard back. Here's what he said -

"Getting ready to type up an article on the FMF system. It’s pretty good as it pulls better through mid rand and top end. It smooths our power slightly down low which I didn’t mind becuase it has such good bottom end stock. It helps smooth out corners for me. Good system and you lose 3 pounds!

Mapping doesn’t change but you can check out my mapping specs on my site. Enjoy!"
Jbulz
Fantasy
3981st
8/7/2018 7:37am
I joined the 2019 club yesterday l, coming from a 2016 KX450F. I wasn't planning on doing it, but had a kickstarter break my cases, and I was dead set on racing Unadilla Am weekend, so here we are...

Bought from Ithaca Rec in NY for 8400 and change plus tax. Got to ride it for about 45 minutes last night, all bone stock. Here's my quick notes:

Did I even buy a Kawasaki? This thing feels nothing like my 16. The front end bites in hard and holds an inside corner extremely well. My 16 needed to kind of bank off something, square up, and then accelerate hard out. The 19 turns in extremely sharp, and steers well, even while braking hard. Much more precise feeling bike.

Ergos feel weird to me as I adjust. Seat is very flat like a KTM, and the tank is really low. You can shift around on the bike while braking, but the lack of a seat "pocket" means you have to hold yourself forward when hard on the power a little more. New levers are really thin and have a great feel to them. Brakes are much better than my 16. Rear oversized doesn't feel overpowered, which is what I was worrying about, it seems like it has better feel and doesn't lock up as easy.

I haven't liked the KTM hydro clutches I've ridden before, but this feels very traditional, but with a smooth easy pull. E-start is pretty cool to have... I gooned it and stalled it in the corner once. Being able to just hit the button was nice.

The engine is much different than my 16 w/ FMF ti system. The 16 hit hard off the bottom to mid and lugged really well (if it didn't flame out). Signed off a little early, but could still be ridden there. Overall my old bike felt like the bike had kind of a narrow hard hitting power band. The 19 is much easier to ride. Less bottom end, very very linear feeling. Bike will lug out of corners without lighting the tire up. It has much more mid and top end, but is delivered very smoothly. It's easy to ride aggressively, since there is very little drama. It is very fast, without feeling fast. Exhaust is surprisingly quiet as well.

Suspension is soft for me, dives kind of far for my liking when braking, but is really controllable. I'm a 230 lb B rider and could probably race it as is, but I would be more comfortable with the suspension holding up more. The track didn't have many obstacles to really test jumping too much. I have springs coming tonight, so hopefully tt fixes really my only issues with the bike. More ride reports to come
Jbulz
Fantasy
3981st
8/7/2018 9:55am
Has anyone confirmed the older clutch fits? I might take a crack at putting my Hinson assembly in tonight.

I saw an interesting thing the manual that if the the clutch actuator rod is removed, then engine oil and clutch (DOT4 brake fluid) can mix. Usually oil will catastrophically fail the seals in a brake system so I'm guessing the same is true here! I guess you need to be careful if you lay the bike on its side to change a clutch, since all the oil will pool there.

Has anyone had theirs apart yet? Sounds like they're using the actuator rod as the slave cylinder piston. I'm guessing if I remove mine, I will need to bleed the clutch line.

Also, what is everyone doing for skid plates? I didn't even realize the bike didn't come with one until late last night. Anyone bolt up a stocker plastic one from the 16-18's? They're only like $12
DB97
8/7/2018 10:34am
Jbulz wrote:
Has anyone confirmed the older clutch fits? I might take a crack at putting my Hinson assembly in tonight. I saw an interesting thing the manual...
Has anyone confirmed the older clutch fits? I might take a crack at putting my Hinson assembly in tonight.

I saw an interesting thing the manual that if the the clutch actuator rod is removed, then engine oil and clutch (DOT4 brake fluid) can mix. Usually oil will catastrophically fail the seals in a brake system so I'm guessing the same is true here! I guess you need to be careful if you lay the bike on its side to change a clutch, since all the oil will pool there.

Has anyone had theirs apart yet? Sounds like they're using the actuator rod as the slave cylinder piston. I'm guessing if I remove mine, I will need to bleed the clutch line.

Also, what is everyone doing for skid plates? I didn't even realize the bike didn't come with one until late last night. Anyone bolt up a stocker plastic one from the 16-18's? They're only like $12
Yes if you look on kawi site the skid plate is optional same part # as 16-18 skid plate it bolts right on. As for the clutch I was trying to figure it out too and rekluse said they think the inner stuff works but cover won't.

Post a reply to: Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

The Latest