Litpro vs crossbox

fluxracing223
6/21/2018 4:41pm
HusqFan3 wrote:
Wow, we generally prefer to debate on this forum using conjecture, opinions, pseudo-knowledge and some misinformation sprinkled in for good measure but i suppose we’ll make...
Wow, we generally prefer to debate on this forum using conjecture, opinions, pseudo-knowledge and some misinformation sprinkled in for good measure but i suppose we’ll make an exception and allow you to use scientifically supported cold hard facts given your firsthand and intimate knowledge of the subject matter. All jokes aside appreciate the education and congrats on developing such a revolutionary product. Now since I’m sure you’re eager to have some hardcore MX enthusiast test out your product, is it safe to assume you were getting ready to post a 15% off promo code so we can all run out and purchase said revolutionary technology? ; )
ricozinn wrote:
@HusqFan3, hah... that's pretty funny. I wondered if I should break protocol on that or not ;) Unfortunately we can't post discounts openly on the forum...
@HusqFan3, hah... that's pretty funny. I wondered if I should break protocol on that or not Wink Unfortunately we can't post discounts openly on the forum or that kinda becomes the new price and then we have to discount the discount... But I will say that if you know someone with a LITPro already it is pretty easy to get a fifty off by linking accounts Wink
I’ll take a discount and grab one if still available. Fluxmoto23@gmail.com
JBlain619
6/26/2018 8:56am
pietscher wrote:
Hi. I am Chris, the developer of MX Buddy. First of all, all mentioned systems were developed by absolute enthusiasts of the sport! I know Richard...
Hi. I am Chris, the developer of MX Buddy. First of all, all mentioned systems were developed by absolute enthusiasts of the sport! I know Richard (LITPro) and Nino (CrossBox) are riding motocross themselves and I also use every free minute to sit on the bike!

I own a LITPro and an XGPS160 (CrossBox) as well and I’d like to give a brief overview of all the three solutions and what to expect from them. I try to be as unbiased as possible Wink

MX Buddy
+ Works with all GPS devices paired with your iPhone
+ GPS precision as good as the used GPS device delivers
+ XGPS160 direct download
+ GPS files import (e.g. exported from Polar, Garmin, etc.)
+ Lap times import from LITPro and MYLAPS
+ Calculates lap and segment times
+ Calculates theoretical best lap time (based on best segments)
+ Live display (best for a bar pad mount)
+ Siri speaks lap times and segment infos
+ Extensive bike setups assigned to tracks and conditions
+ Heart rate recording (needs a heart rate belt)
+ Works without internet connection
+ No user account needed
+ Displays laps and segments on a zoomable map with color coded speeds
(Lap navigation with time line, speeds and lap comparison will be available with v2.16)

CrossBox
+ Most features mentioned above
+ Operates with XGPS160
+ Lap navigation with timeline
+ Lap comparison on a map
+ Compare riding sessions with other riders
- No heart rate
- No zooming in on maps

LITPro
+ Hardware and software explicitly designed for motocross
+ 20Hz GPS fused with other sensor data (gyro and accelerometer)
+ Cornering analysis (with theoretical best lap time)
+ Jump analysis
+ Start analysis
+ Acceleration and decceleration analysis
+ High definition maps
+ Very sturdy and waterproof
+ Extensive live timing for riders and trainers with communication
+ SAFERIDE™
+ Has been used and accepted as a training device by professional riders and trainers for years
- needs internet connection
- slower sync than with XGPS160 (has more data points to transfer)

Each of the three solutions was developed with the aim of providing an optimal solution for motocross riders and coaches, using three different approaches with different hardware, software and pricing. It's your choice Wink

Hi Chris!

I just downloaded the MX Buddy App. I will be using this with the XGPS160. I'm curious about the heart rate recording. Is all I need a heart rate strap or do I need to wear my watch as well? My HR monitor is paired with my Garmin Forerunner 610. Will this cause an issue with 2 GPS being utilized at the same time?

Thanks!
pietscher
6/26/2018 10:50am
JBlain619 wrote:
Hi Chris! I just downloaded the MX Buddy App. I will be using this with the XGPS160. I'm curious about the heart rate recording. Is all...
Hi Chris!

I just downloaded the MX Buddy App. I will be using this with the XGPS160. I'm curious about the heart rate recording. Is all I need a heart rate strap or do I need to wear my watch as well? My HR monitor is paired with my Garmin Forerunner 610. Will this cause an issue with 2 GPS being utilized at the same time?

Thanks!
You'll need a heart rate straps that is pairable with your iPhone (like Polar H7). Garmin heart rate straps are not gonna work (afaik), since they use ANT+. But there are adapters available: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/103887

Your setup has to be like this:
- The XGPS160 and heart rate belt paired with our iPhone
- Mount your phone in a save place or attach it to your bar pad if you want to see live info while riding
- Start the recording in MX Buddy
- MX Buddy will record both, GPS and heart rate

The Shop

JBlain619
6/26/2018 12:59pm
JBlain619 wrote:
Hi Chris! I just downloaded the MX Buddy App. I will be using this with the XGPS160. I'm curious about the heart rate recording. Is all...
Hi Chris!

Thanks!
pietscher wrote:
You'll need a heart rate straps that is pairable with your iPhone (like Polar H7). Garmin heart rate straps are not gonna work (afaik), since they...
You'll need a heart rate straps that is pairable with your iPhone (like Polar H7). Garmin heart rate straps are not gonna work (afaik), since they use ANT+. But there are adapters available: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/103887

- Mount your phone in a save place or attach it to your bar pad if you want to see live info while riding
Do I have to have my phone on me or can I upload after each ride?
MBR
6/26/2018 1:14pm
pietscher wrote:
Hi. I am Chris, the developer of MX Buddy. First of all, all mentioned systems were developed by absolute enthusiasts of the sport! I know Richard...
Hi. I am Chris, the developer of MX Buddy. First of all, all mentioned systems were developed by absolute enthusiasts of the sport! I know Richard (LITPro) and Nino (CrossBox) are riding motocross themselves and I also use every free minute to sit on the bike!

I own a LITPro and an XGPS160 (CrossBox) as well and I’d like to give a brief overview of all the three solutions and what to expect from them. I try to be as unbiased as possible Wink

MX Buddy
+ No user account needed
(Lap navigation with time line, speeds and lap comparison will be available with v2.16)

CrossBox
+ Operates with XGPS160
- No heart rate
- No zooming in on maps

LITPro
+ Jump analysis
+ Start analysis
+ High definition maps
+ SAFERIDE™
+ Has been used and accepted as a training device by professional riders and trainers for years

Each of the three solutions was developed with the aim of providing an optimal solution for motocross riders and coaches, using three different approaches with different hardware, software and pricing. It's your choice Wink

One benefit with Litpro is that you don't have to attach the iPhone on your bike if you have the Apple Watch. As far as usability it made huge difference to me. Also the data is uploaded almost real time so it is ready to see right when you get back to truck.
pietscher
6/26/2018 1:28pm
JBlain619 wrote:
Hi Chris!

Thanks!
pietscher wrote:
You'll need a heart rate straps that is pairable with your iPhone (like Polar H7). Garmin heart rate straps are not gonna work (afaik), since they...

JBlain619 wrote:
Do I have to have my phone on me or can I upload after each ride?
If you just want the GPS data, you don't need your phone while riding. Just attach the XGPS160 to your helmet and download the data after riding. If you want to have your heart rate and GPS recorded together, you have to carry your phone with you and record via MX Buddy, since the XGPS160 is not able to record heart rates.
7/1/2018 11:41am
Kzirk525 wrote:
I use the XGPS160 with the app called MX buddy. Its way cheaper and has similar features to Crossbox. Probably not as good as Litpro.The XGPS160...
I use the XGPS160 with the app called MX buddy. Its way cheaper and has similar features to Crossbox. Probably not as good as Litpro.The XGPS160 is the same gps unit Crossbox uses. I mount it to my helmet with a 3M dual lock fastener. Heres the link to both-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E65TNYE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHKTDMA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_…

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the Duel gps to import into MX Buddy
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
7/1/2018 11:51am
pietscher wrote:

MX Buddy
+ No user account needed

CrossBox
+ Operates with XGPS160
- No heart rate
- No zooming in on maps

LITPro
+ Jump analysis
+ Start analysis
+ High definition maps
+ SAFERIDE™

MBR wrote:
One benefit with Litpro is that you don't have to attach the iPhone on your bike if you have the Apple Watch. As far as usability...
One benefit with Litpro is that you don't have to attach the iPhone on your bike if you have the Apple Watch. As far as usability it made huge difference to me. Also the data is uploaded almost real time so it is ready to see right when you get back to truck.
Do you need an Apple Watch with data plan?
Kzirk525
7/1/2018 1:16pm
Kzirk525 wrote:
I use the XGPS160 with the app called MX buddy. Its way cheaper and has similar features to Crossbox. Probably not as good as Litpro.The XGPS160...
I use the XGPS160 with the app called MX buddy. Its way cheaper and has similar features to Crossbox. Probably not as good as Litpro.The XGPS160 is the same gps unit Crossbox uses. I mount it to my helmet with a 3M dual lock fastener. Heres the link to both-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E65TNYE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHKTDMA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_…

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the Duel gps to import into MX Buddy
I just sent this over to JBlain619. Here are the steps I take-

1. Turn on the XGPS

2. Start GPS tracking by triple-clicking the power button on the XGPS unit. An orange light should appear on the unit under LOG. This means the XGPS will now track and log the data.

3. Mount the unit to your helmet. Ride your moto. Finish.

4. Triple-click the power button on the XGPS unit to turn off the tracking function. The orange light should now disappear.

5. Connect phone via Bluetooth to the XGPS.

6. Open the MX Buddy App.

6a. Add the MX track you're currently riding at. At the top of the home screen you'll see a "new" button. Click it. Tap "new track." Located the track on the map. Name the track and hit save. Below the map, you'll see a section for track segments. Add the finish line and any sections on the track you'd like to be timed on. Simply click and drag on the map to add a finish line or section gates. Hit save once done. (This only has to be done once for every track you add.)

6b. Add your bike. At the top of the home screen you'll see a "new" button. Click it. Tap "new bike." Enter the bike type and race number where you see the number "1." Add the hours. Click save.

7. Now you're ready to import the data from you're moto. Click the "On Track" icon at the bottom of the MX Buddy App. Swipe through the icons below the "start" button to find XGPS IMPORT." Continue down and select whether its a race or practice, the track, soil type and bike. Now you're ready to import the data off the GPS UNIT.

Click "Start" at the top of the App. Now on the next screen click "Select Session." Now you'll see the logged data on the XGPS UNIT. Select the moto you'd like to import. Once loaded you can delete out staging time or bad laps by swiping on the lap time. Now hit "Save." The lap times now have been saved in the app.

8. Click the "Results" icon at the bottom of the MX Buddy App. Click on the session you just imported. It will show all the lap times from the moto. Click the GPS icon and zoom in to see the lines you took around the track. You can click on each lap individually.

That should be it. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions man!

-Kyle

7/1/2018 4:33pm
pietscher wrote:

MX Buddy
+ No user account needed

CrossBox
+ Operates with XGPS160
- No heart rate
- No zooming in on maps

LITPro
+ Jump analysis
+ Start analysis
+ High definition maps
+ SAFERIDE™

MBR wrote:
One benefit with Litpro is that you don't have to attach the iPhone on your bike if you have the Apple Watch. As far as usability...
Ok. It was the swiping thing I didn't understand. Lol
JBlain619
7/2/2018 9:29am
Kzirk525 wrote:
I just sent this over to JBlain619. Here are the steps I take- 1. Turn on the XGPS 2. Start GPS tracking by triple-clicking the power...

1. Turn on the XGPS

2. Start GPS tracking by triple-clicking the power button on the XGPS unit. An orange light should appear on the unit under LOG. This means the XGPS will now track and log the data.

4. Triple-click the power button on the XGPS unit to turn off the tracking function. The orange light should now disappear.

6a. Add the MX track you're currently riding at. At the top of the home screen you'll see a "new" button. Click it. Tap "new track." Located the track on the map. Name the track and hit save. Below the map, you'll see a section for track segments. Add the finish line and any sections on the track you'd like to be timed on. Simply click and drag on the map to add a finish line or section gates. Hit save once done. (This only has to be done once for every track you add.)

6b. Add your bike. At the top of the home screen you'll see a "new" button. Click it. Tap "new bike." Enter the bike type and race number where you see the number "1." Add the hours. Click save.

7. Now you're ready to import the data from you're moto. Click the "On Track" icon at the bottom of the MX Buddy App. Swipe through the icons below the "start" button to find XGPS IMPORT." Continue down and select whether its a race or practice, the track, soil type and bike. Now you're ready to import the data off the GPS UNIT.

Click "Start" at the top of the App. Now on the next screen click "Select Session." Now you'll see the logged data on the XGPS UNIT. Select the moto you'd like to import. Once loaded you can delete out staging time or bad laps by swiping on the lap time. Now hit "Save." The lap times now have been saved in the app.

8. Click the "Results" icon at the bottom of the MX Buddy App. Click on the session you just imported. It will show all the lap times from the moto. Click the GPS icon and zoom in to see the lines you took around the track. You can click on each lap individually.

-Kyle

Thanks again Kyle!!! You da man!
pietscher
7/2/2018 9:42am
Kzirk525 wrote:
I just sent this over to JBlain619. Here are the steps I take- 1. Turn on the XGPS 2. Start GPS tracking by triple-clicking the power...

1. Turn on the XGPS

-Kyle

Thanks mate! I couldn't have explained it better Smile
7/2/2018 9:46pm
Got it to work. Does a great job showing laps even on my small track. Will be playing with it more this weekend. Just have to do it all with my son's phone, because I have an android, lol. Sucks app makers hate making money from people not interested in Apple.
7/2/2018 11:39pm
Can't believe there aren't any android apps available. I have all the gps data through my garmin forerunner (accurate enough), but no apps to show anything useful. Strava shows your laps and heart rate but is not lap oriented at all like mx is.
MBR
7/3/2018 7:32pm
No. I have the Apple Watch 2 and it works good. I just do the "hand out" with the phone by truck and rest is done in watch (I can listen the lap and sector times through bluetooth ear buds connected to watch). When I get back to truck after moto it connects to phone and upload is done super fast.
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/3/2018 7:56pm
maxximmee wrote:
Can't believe there aren't any android apps available. I have all the gps data through my garmin forerunner (accurate enough), but no apps to show anything...
Can't believe there aren't any android apps available. I have all the gps data through my garmin forerunner (accurate enough), but no apps to show anything useful. Strava shows your laps and heart rate but is not lap oriented at all like mx is.
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
1/29/2019 5:27pm
I’ve owned both.

Cross box Is harder to turn on while on the line unless you have it to record all the time

Litpro is easier to start the gps

Crossbox doesn’t need internet to Bluetooth the data

Litpro does need an internet connection

Crossbox software is easier to use
Lit pro is more in depth

Both add a nice twist on riding. I recommend y’all get either one the budget allows
racerx217
1/30/2019 10:15am
Has anyone tried the mx buddy app with any of the gps smart watches out on the market. Like a polar m600?
jpfiester82
Fantasy
24th
4/5/2019 8:34am
racerx217 wrote:
Has anyone tried the mx buddy app with any of the gps smart watches out on the market. Like a polar m600?
I'm giving it a try this weekend. Garmin forerunner 235 and the MX buddy app. I did a little test this morning on the way to work to make sure I could get the data I was looking for. I was able to get everything into the app by downloading the GPS data from the watch. Shows speed, map with playback, and HR so far it looks like it will work good enough for my needs. Hard for me to spend more money when I already have the watch and can do everything from that.
kNewc
4/5/2019 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2019 12:25pm
racerx217 wrote:
I'm giving it a try this weekend. Garmin forerunner 235 and the MX buddy app. I did a little test this morning on the way to...
I'm giving it a try this weekend. Garmin forerunner 235 and the MX buddy app. I did a little test this morning on the way to work to make sure I could get the data I was looking for. I was able to get everything into the app by downloading the GPS data from the watch. Shows speed, map with playback, and HR so far it looks like it will work good enough for my needs. Hard for me to spend more money when I already have the watch and can do everything from that.
I have done the same and have a similar set-up but I use the Xiaomi Amazfit Bip Watch. Works great!
crowe176
5/17/2019 4:13pm
Ok, I have MXbuddy, an Apple watch 3, and a bluetooth heart rate strap and an iphone. How or what do I need to record and get my gps/HR data from my apple watch to the mxbuddy app?

Also, I'm a dummy, so be nice lol
pietscher
5/19/2019 12:59pm
crowe176 wrote:
Ok, I have MXbuddy, an Apple watch 3, and a bluetooth heart rate strap and an iphone. How or what do I need to record and...
Ok, I have MXbuddy, an Apple watch 3, and a bluetooth heart rate strap and an iphone. How or what do I need to record and get my gps/HR data from my apple watch to the mxbuddy app?

MX Buddy doesn't work with the Apple watch (yet). But if you have a watch app that allows you to export your recorded session as GPX or TCX (includes heart rate), you can import the session into MX Buddy.
crowe176
5/19/2019 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2019 1:08pm
crowe176 wrote:
Ok, I have MXbuddy, an Apple watch 3, and a bluetooth heart rate strap and an iphone. How or what do I need to record and...

pietscher wrote:
MX Buddy doesn't work with the Apple watch (yet). But if you have a watch app that allows you to export your recorded session as GPX...
MX Buddy doesn't work with the Apple watch (yet). But if you have a watch app that allows you to export your recorded session as GPX or TCX (includes heart rate), you can import the session into MX Buddy.
Yep, that's what I kind of figured out. I have a couple app's on my watch that I need to test to see if I can get that data recorded correctly. I just got all this (watch/app's/sensor) friday, so hopefully I can get it licked. Worst case, I'll just ride with my phone, as I know that works..!

Really love this stuff. It won't help me in anyway, but it'll be fun to dink around with at the track.

Thank you BTW!
JoePit
7/23/2019 9:54am
So since this thread was created neither of these devices will work with a Android device?
5/11/2020 12:38am
Tedor wrote:
Hi, anybody using any of these? I know Baker is using litpro and its more expensive than the crossbox and maybe some more features but Im...
Hi, anybody using any of these?

I know Baker is using litpro and its more expensive than the crossbox and maybe some more features but Im not that sure.

Thankful for inputs, regards
Hey Tedor!

Crossbox launched a new product, you should check it out at www.crossboxapp.com

Best,
Nino
5/11/2020 12:57am
racerx217 wrote:
I'm giving it a try this weekend. Garmin forerunner 235 and the MX buddy app. I did a little test this morning on the way to...
Hey!

Always keep in mind that the watches only record 1 position sample per second (at maximum) and additionally the positioning accuracy is not as good as higher-definition gps systems (like the Crossbox CBX20), because the antenna is much smaller. This can lead to lap time deviations of 1-2 seconds which is not accurate enough for me (if you are a more advanced rider, then 1-2 seconds up and down make a huge difference, you will never be able to seriously work on lowering your times because you never know if you really had a progress or the times were just wrong.

Best,
Nino
pietscher
5/11/2020 1:25pm
racerx217 wrote:
Hey! Always keep in mind that the watches only record 1 position sample per second (at maximum) and additionally the positioning accuracy is not as good...
Hey!

Always keep in mind that the watches only record 1 position sample per second (at maximum) and additionally the positioning accuracy is not as good as higher-definition gps systems (like the Crossbox CBX20), because the antenna is much smaller. This can lead to lap time deviations of 1-2 seconds which is not accurate enough for me (if you are a more advanced rider, then 1-2 seconds up and down make a huge difference, you will never be able to seriously work on lowering your times because you never know if you really had a progress or the times were just wrong.

Best,
Nino
That's not quite right, Nino Wink It is true that most GPS watches only deliver one position per second, but the lap time deviations are usually in the range of less than 0.3 seconds. If you define your finish line in the middle of a straightaway, you can interpolate very well. See this blog post on my website:
Blog Post on mxbuddyapp.com "Oldie but a goldie"

I analyzed a lot of race and practice lap times and saw very few riders whose lap times were so consistant that they were consistently in this area. Motocross is not karting or Formula 1. The accuracy of a GPS watch is sufficient for most riders.

For analyzes on a short supercross track it is important to be very accurate! That’s for sure. Also for analyzes of short sections. Then a GPS device with higher precision and which provides data with >=10Hz(like the XGPS160) is necessary. If you want to know what to expect from a device like the XGPS for analyzing faster lines, read this post: Finding faster lines

Riders who are only interested in lap times (and possibly also section times) can work very well with a GPS watch. In good conditions, you can even (very) roughly analyze line selection. See the first blog post.

One more thing to keep in mind when analyzing lines. You need to carry devices like LITPro, XGPS or the CBX on the helmet for them to work well. If the device is mounted on the helmet, the GPS positions can easily deviate >= 1m from the position your tires were at! This is due to different lean angles of your bike and body. It is therefore almost impossible to tell which exact line or rut you were taking.

Apart from that, hats off the performance of Nino and his crew! The community has been waiting a long time for an Android app. Smile

Cheers,
Chris
5/11/2020 1:46pm
Hey! Always keep in mind that the watches only record 1 position sample per second (at maximum) and additionally the positioning accuracy is not as good...
Hey!

Best,
Nino
pietscher wrote:
That's not quite right, Nino ;) It is true that most GPS watches only deliver one position per second, but the lap time deviations are [b]usually...
That's not quite right, Nino Wink It is true that most GPS watches only deliver one position per second, but the lap time deviations are usually in the range of less than 0.3 seconds. If you define your finish line in the middle of a straightaway, you can interpolate very well. See this blog post on my website:
Blog Post on mxbuddyapp.com "Oldie but a goldie"

I analyzed a lot of race and practice lap times and saw very few riders whose lap times were so consistant that they were consistently in this area. Motocross is not karting or Formula 1. The accuracy of a GPS watch is sufficient for most riders.

For analyzes on a short supercross track it is important to be very accurate! That’s for sure. Also for analyzes of short sections. Then a GPS device with higher precision and which provides data with >=10Hz(like the XGPS160) is necessary. If you want to know what to expect from a device like the XGPS for analyzing faster lines, read this post: Finding faster lines

Riders who are only interested in lap times (and possibly also section times) can work very well with a GPS watch. In good conditions, you can even (very) roughly analyze line selection. See the first blog post.

One more thing to keep in mind when analyzing lines. You need to carry devices like LITPro, XGPS or the CBX on the helmet for them to work well. If the device is mounted on the helmet, the GPS positions can easily deviate >= 1m from the position your tires were at! This is due to different lean angles of your bike and body. It is therefore almost impossible to tell which exact line or rut you were taking.

Apart from that, hats off the performance of Nino and his crew! The community has been waiting a long time for an Android app. Smile

Cheers,
Chris
Hey Chris! You are right, interpolating works pretty well - if the position accuracy is perfect, and you had the exact speed at point A and point B (before and after the start/finish line) - only then you can achieve very little deviation. But neither the positioning accuracy nor the speed is pretty accurate with the watches and their small GPS antennas. It might be possible that in rare cases, if the weather is perfect and if there are no trees or anything that bulk off the GPS signal, you achieve one run out of 10 where you only have an average deviation of 0,3 seconds. But it is for sure not a reliable timing system. And if you ask me, if I want to time myself, I want to rely on my timing tool, otherwise it is useless. Even if 1 lap out of 10 is showing deviations of 1,5 seconds (which is highly possible with the watch), it would be too much for a serious training. But this is just my opinion, I am sure that the watch in combination with apps like mxbuddy might be the right choice for people that just ride for fun and want to have basic statistics of their moto day. PS: Thanks Chris, yes, we spent a lot of time in the past years to develop our CBX20 device and the iOS & Android app, we hope you all love it!

Best,
Nino

Post a reply to: Litpro vs crossbox

The Latest