MCR Announces 2018 Rider Lineup and Race Schedule

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/18/2017 6:34pm
August 18, 2017 (Spokane, Wash) – MotoConcepts Racing (MCR) is proud to unveil its 2018 rider lineup and race schedule.

Following a solid 2017 Supercross season, MCR is pleased to welcome the return of the #10 of Justin Brayton who will be competing for wins in the 450 class alongside his 2017 teammate Vince Friese.

“Brayton’s experience and maturity allows consistently strong starts and top ten finishes making him a strong podium contender,” said MCR team manager, Tony Alessi. “Friese, who is proven to be one of the strongest starters in the 450 class continues to display growth that will enable him to be a top-ten finisher. I look forward to working with both of these talented riders again.”

A new addition to the 2018 lineup is multi-time race winner and past 250 West champion, Jake Weimer. Weimer, who also holds a King of Bercy title and is a member of the winning 2009 Des Nations Motocross team, brings proven success and talent. “While looking to add a third 450 rider, we had multiple ex-champions to choose from,” said Alessi. “After speaking with Jake, we felt with the proper training, testing and time to prepare, Jake will possess the needed confidence to perform at a high level. It is our belief Jake has plenty left in the tank to be competitive.”

“I’m enthused about our 2018 team program,” said MCR team owner, Mike Genova. “MCR will have more 450 riders on the track than any other team in the paddock and the quality of our riders is quite impressive.”

MCR is pleased to announce a continued partnership with American Honda for the 2018 race season. “I’m excited to go into a second year with a group like Honda,” said Genova. “We found last year’s experience to be productive, enjoyable and effective for all parties involved and expect the relationship to only improve.”

MCR’s 2018 race plan includes the upcoming Monster Energy Cup in Las Vegas as well as the full Monster Energy AMA Supercross series.

|
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
8/18/2017 6:42pm
Wow, I'm very happy to hear Jake has a ride for next year. Good job MCR. My thoughts of Tony and that outfit have changed greatly over the past few years in a positive way.
early
Fantasy
2139th
8/18/2017 6:57pm
Good for Jake. Hope MCR has a good 2018 season.
RonSkj
Fantasy
141st
8/18/2017 7:00pm
So, Is Mike Retiring?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
8/18/2017 7:06pm
RonSkj wrote:
So, Is Mike Retiring?
I think he might be skipping SX and coming back up here for another season.

I think he let it slipped during one of his podium interviews. I can't remember what he said but mentioned something about next year.

I know he mentioned a while back that he plans on retiring once he turns 30 which is in May of 2018.

The Shop

kkawboy14
8/18/2017 7:38pm
Could have all 3 riders sometimes in the top 10
sostoked
8/18/2017 8:52pm
Wow, they've got a chance for some serious exposure in the 450 class. I hope they do well.
Johnny Depp
8/18/2017 9:00pm
That's a strong team. What exactly will they be advertising? Are there major sponsors, or is this a non-profit?
8/18/2017 9:22pm
That's a strong team. What exactly will they be advertising? Are there major sponsors, or is this a non-profit?
They're advertising MotoConcepts/SmartTop products
mxandy963
8/18/2017 9:34pm
RonSkj wrote:
So, Is Mike Retiring?
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think he might be skipping SX and coming back up here for another season. I think he let it slipped during one of his podium...

I think he let it slipped during one of his podium interviews. I can't remember what he said but mentioned something about next year.

I know he mentioned a while back that he plans on retiring once he turns 30 which is in May of 2018.
He sure did make it sound like he was coming back next year up north. I hope so. Mikey has a lot left in him. Really liked watching him this year. I think he really likes Canada. Great personality for Canadian MX. Always thanks the fans. Which is really cool.
mjskier
8/18/2017 9:58pm
Well, so much for my theory of 22 and 7 on MCR Laughing
8/18/2017 10:18pm
My perception of tony alessi changed after he appeared on pulp. Actually sounded like a level headed guy that loves the sport
Flip109
8/18/2017 10:30pm
Happy for Weimer. He should get some good finishes.
wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
8/18/2017 10:37pm
Good news Wink
Motofinne
8/18/2017 11:38pm
Fantastic news for Weimer! You can say a lot about Genova and the MCR team but in the day and age when 450 rides are rare, teams like this are needed in the sport!
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
8/19/2017 12:10am
I thought they would have gone after some bigger fish
Francis377
8/19/2017 12:32am
Say what you will about Genova but the man has been fielding a solid team at his expense for many years now. Hope the riders stay healthy and have a good season with MCR.
Bidirella
8/19/2017 1:48am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
I thought they would have gone after some bigger fish
X2!! Expected that also! But great for Jake and congrats to the team and a great 18 season.
8/19/2017 1:50am
You'd have to think that with that line up and Honda backing, and Genova's business skills, they'd be able to pull another title sponsor on board. They've put in the hardyards so good for them
8/19/2017 1:53am
Not hating on Genova, because I know he's good people for the sport; but the MotoConcepts/SmartTop brands each are practically like one product; some misc garage tools and a hot tub lid. Genova must just still be printing money from the real business side of life
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
8/19/2017 3:41am
RonSkj wrote:
So, Is Mike Retiring?
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think he might be skipping SX and coming back up here for another season. I think he let it slipped during one of his podium...

mxandy963 wrote:
He sure did make it sound like he was coming back next year up north. I hope so. Mikey has a lot left in him. Really...
He sure did make it sound like he was coming back next year up north. I hope so. Mikey has a lot left in him. Really liked watching him this year. I think he really likes Canada. Great personality for Canadian MX. Always thanks the fans. Which is really cool.
I agree. Mike seems to be fitting really well with our series. He looks happy and is riding strong. The guy just loves moto.

I believe it was at the last round that his bike quit on him. What does he do? Instead of heading to the pit like most riders would do to relax and cool off he walks over to the announcers booth, puts on a headset and starts chatting it up with the announcers while watching the rest of the moto. I thought that was pretty cool of him.

If he truly plans on retiring at 30 to focus on other things like starting a family then next summer will more than likely be his last.

NutUp Kawi for SX? That would be cool.
system
8/19/2017 4:29am
With the riders available, I'm a bit surprised they kept Friese. Regardless, I'm glad Brayton and Weimer have a solid ride.
Gus
8/19/2017 5:51am
Pumped for Brayton and Weimer. I really like Weimer just seems like a good dude.
davistld01
8/19/2017 6:41am
Totally agree. Genova must love motocross because he spends millions on it every year, with little or no return on his investment I'm sure!

And, yeah...great news for Jake to get a solid ride right out of the gate this year. He seems like a good dude, and I believe his results will get better with the support of a team where he's not just the "fill-in" rider.

Wonder if Brayton will again be the only guy on the team riding a Honda factory bike or not?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
8/19/2017 7:25am
davistld01 wrote:
Totally agree. Genova must love motocross because he spends millions on it every year, with little or no return on his investment I'm sure! And, yeah...great...
Totally agree. Genova must love motocross because he spends millions on it every year, with little or no return on his investment I'm sure!

And, yeah...great news for Jake to get a solid ride right out of the gate this year. He seems like a good dude, and I believe his results will get better with the support of a team where he's not just the "fill-in" rider.

Wonder if Brayton will again be the only guy on the team riding a Honda factory bike or not?
The only thing that was factory about Brayton's bike last year was the suspension and triple clamps.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
8/19/2017 7:34am
ML512 wrote:
The only thing that was factory about Brayton's bike last year was the suspension and triple clamps.
Do you know if Honda is giving more support this year?
MCR has a solid team, I think it'd be wise of Honda to step up the support much like KTM has done with the Rocky Mountain team
Motoxdoc
8/19/2017 7:38am
What an awesome dude! This sport needs more Mike Genova's. Just imagine if Bill Gates or Warren Buffets grandkids were into MX.....or the Koch bros. "I want to start a motocross team grandpa.".......Put some of their good fortune into MX!!
Johnny Depp
8/19/2017 7:42am
system wrote:
With the riders available, I'm a bit surprised they kept Friese. Regardless, I'm glad Brayton and Weimer have a solid ride.
Freise gets more TV exposure than any 3 other sponsored riders. Good move, and he keeps improving his finishes, he earned it.
Forty
8/19/2017 7:46am
davistld01 wrote:
Totally agree. Genova must love motocross because he spends millions on it every year, with little or no return on his investment I'm sure! And, yeah...great...

Jake had a factory ride for many years. Don't know when He would be considered a fill in rider.
Fox88
Fantasy
21st
8/19/2017 7:51am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I agree. Mike seems to be fitting really well with our series. He looks happy and is riding strong. The guy just loves moto. I believe...
I agree. Mike seems to be fitting really well with our series. He looks happy and is riding strong. The guy just loves moto.

I believe it was at the last round that his bike quit on him. What does he do? Instead of heading to the pit like most riders would do to relax and cool off he walks over to the announcers booth, puts on a headset and starts chatting it up with the announcers while watching the rest of the moto. I thought that was pretty cool of him.

If he truly plans on retiring at 30 to focus on other things like starting a family then next summer will more than likely be his last.

NutUp Kawi for SX? That would be cool.
I agree, that was way cool of Mike to join in the commentary. it seemed like they nearly had to kick him out, as he could have kept going! class act for sure, big props to #800, I mean #5!!

and props to MCR for supporting the sport, and good luck to the team. Friese's starts guarantee TV time, and Weimer and Brayton both have plenty of speed..

Post a reply to: MCR Announces 2018 Rider Lineup and Race Schedule

The Latest