MOTO VAN build. Chevy express duramax.

2/24/2020 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2020 8:53pm
Thought id share some photos of the build process of my moto van. Its a 2012 chevy express extended diesel. I bought it in October and got a really good deal on it. I bought it as a tow vehicle to tow a show car i we built from new york to vegas for the sema show. Once i got home i decided to make it into a motovan since ive been itching to build one for the past year.
It had a bunch of lights on the roof and exterior being it was used as a fleet truck by the previous owner. I took of all the lights and got rid of the wiring mess they made installing them. I had a bunch of holes to weld and plug. I gutted the inside and used a s.e.m. rust stop paint and then there bed liner on the whole interior to help with sound deadening and insulation and just make it look better. I also used the bed liner on the hood, roof, and rear doors. I then built a steel wall frame, which has a plywood wall and each side. I used plywood on the walls and ceiling in the front area. I left the walls the way the were in the back where the bikes go because i didnt want to loose too much space back there. I made a steel seat frame that fits a water tank underneath and has a jackknife sofa bolted to the top. I put 2 6x9 speakers in the kick pannel under the sofa, a 10 inch sub next to it against the wall, along with replacing the 2 6 1/2s in the front doors, i hide the amp on the wall on the side under the sofa, and used a sony head unit. I bought 2 brand new take-out seats on ebay from a chevy express passenger van because the seats in there were pretty worn out. In the back i put some i track on the wall to strap the bikes and a tool box. Then put some more on the side walls. I put 2 trailer dome lights where the stock one was. I also put some xd wheels and general grabbers on it. I also tuned it. Theres a few things i still want to do in the future like tint the windows, either paint or wrap the sides to get rid of the white, and do some sort of helmet and knee brace storage in the back. Not sure if i want to do a shelf or hooks or what. If you have any ideas let me hear them. And follow my shop on instagram and facebook to check out the other projects we've done and are doing, @sixtwelveautoworx.

|
Stuntman949
2/24/2020 2:31pm
Beautiful build! I love what you did with the sleeper area. Gotta have the jams.

The Shop

Cokeham23
2/25/2020 7:05am
Awesome build man! This is the exact van I’m looking for, so cool to see one done up. I’ll probably end up buying a gas one though. Haven’t been able to find a diesel one without a ton of miles on it.
2/25/2020 7:31am
Cokeham23 wrote:
Awesome build man! This is the exact van I’m looking for, so cool to see one done up. I’ll probably end up buying a gas one...
Awesome build man! This is the exact van I’m looking for, so cool to see one done up. I’ll probably end up buying a gas one though. Haven’t been able to find a diesel one without a ton of miles on it.
Yea there hard to come by, the 06-07 are the best years and even 08-10 are really good too.
MxProdigy17
2/25/2020 9:52am
Thing looks perfect. Where did you get the bed and water tank? My tractor supply 35 gallon tank is just too big and bulky. Get's the job done, but this would be ideal.
2/25/2020 10:37am
Thing looks perfect. Where did you get the bed and water tank? My tractor supply 35 gallon tank is just too big and bulky. Get's the...
Thing looks perfect. Where did you get the bed and water tank? My tractor supply 35 gallon tank is just too big and bulky. Get's the job done, but this would be ideal.
The bed is from etrailer.com. The water tank i had laying around but i originally bought it online. If you google custom water tanks for rvs there are a few places that sell them in a ton a different dimensions. It shouldnt be hard to find a perfect fit.
Schmitt
3/18/2020 8:16am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2020 8:23am
Great build! Like the steal wall and sofa
That sofa is perfect, wonder if seat belts can be added/ child safety hooks for car seats
What size wheel/tire are you running.

3/18/2020 8:48am
Schmitt wrote:
Great build! Like the steal wall and sofa That sofa is perfect, wonder if seat belts can be added/ child safety hooks for car seats What...
That sofa is perfect, wonder if seat belts can be added/ child safety hooks for car seats

Thanks, the sofa doesn't come with a mounting frame so it should be pretty easy to as seatbelt/ carseat mounting points on the frame while your making it. The wheels are 18s on 285/60/18s.
KX500
3/18/2020 9:18am
Too Cool - love the tires & wheels!

There is a 4wd Ford van located not too far from me. Sets a little higher, appropriate size (not too big or too small) on/off road tires - it too looks awesome.

And I want it without even knowing why!
Spat24
Fantasy
1140th
3/18/2020 12:37pm
First - nice looking build. I have been thinking of getting a van and want to build it out similar to yours.
So I do have a few questions.

Did you gain space using the steel frame fro the wall? How difficult was it to cut and install?

I like the use of the bed liner for the garage portion but have not thought of using on roof and back doors. How much heat does the black roof create?

I am a Chevy guy but have been leaning towards the older Ford E-series vans, why did you choose the Chevy and how does it drive with the longer wheelbase? Any other wins/opportunities you have with the Chevy?

I really like the way it turned out - great job!
3/18/2020 2:18pm
Spat24 wrote:
First - nice looking build. I have been thinking of getting a van and want to build it out similar to yours. So I do have...
First - nice looking build. I have been thinking of getting a van and want to build it out similar to yours.

Did you gain space using the steel frame fro the wall? How difficult was it to cut and install?

I like the use of the bed liner for the garage portion but have not thought of using on roof and back doors. How much heat does the black roof create?

I am a Chevy guy but have been leaning towards the older Ford E-series vans, why did you choose the Chevy and how does it drive with the longer wheelbase? Any other wins/opportunities you have with the Chevy?

You gain a little bit of space with the steel frame wall as opposed to doing like a 2x4 wall. I used 1 inch tube steel and 1/2 inch ply wood on each side. It really only needs it on one side but i just did it for looks and to be able to screw hooks and stuff in the back wall. Its pretty easy to do as long as you have a welder to weld it together square. I also welded tabs on as the mounting points to the van. The bed liner is great for insulating in the winter as well as quieting the van while driving. I haven't had a hot enough day here yet to see how it does in summer weather. I went with the chevy because there a bit bigger, and there extended van is the wheelbase and not just the body. This van is also a duramax diesel but i personally think the gas motors are more reliable in the chevys over the fords. It rides really nice for a van although it is a little bit springy in the rear being a 2500 but not bad. Its definitely comfortable enough to daily drive and ive been driving mine a few days a week to work.
wisey
Fantasy
1457th
3/18/2020 2:46pm
Nice build! Looks like your really going to use and enjoy the thing.
Where did you source the L track? Do you know if L track is universal dimensions?
One site has good pricing on the track but the attachments are ridiculously over priced then another site has Multiple varieties and good pricing on attachments.
3/18/2020 3:28pm
wisey wrote:
Nice build! Looks like your really going to use and enjoy the thing. Where did you source the L track? Do you know if L track...
Nice build! Looks like your really going to use and enjoy the thing.
Where did you source the L track? Do you know if L track is universal dimensions?
One site has good pricing on the track but the attachments are ridiculously over priced then another site has Multiple varieties and good pricing on attachments.
Im almost positive all l track is the same size for the attachments. I bought mine from us cargo. They had some package deals with the track and the hooks together.
cable
3/18/2020 4:31pm
what wheels are those? van looks great!
brocster
3/18/2020 7:10pm
Very nice build! Long body’s are cool as hell but not for me. I just bought an older e150 cargo that was kind of set up for Moto already with a back seat and have been tweaking little things here and there not trying to spend much additional money on it. Been fun. This is my fourth van and I tend to like the way the fords drive, especially the 150’s, but like the little extra space of the GM’s. Would have bought another if the paint wasn’t shit. (My price range was the years with the shitty primer and peeling paint). Hopefully this will will last until I can get a more modern one.
mxracer666
3/18/2020 8:01pm
Spat24 wrote:
First - nice looking build. I have been thinking of getting a van and want to build it out similar to yours. So I do have...

The older Ford extended vans are death traps. Due to the extra weight distributed behind the rear wheels, and if you got a rear flat tire it was very possible to loose control of the vehicle and have a roll-over crash. Its well-documented in spite of Ford trying to hide all the lawsuits. Look at the position of the rear wheels Ford vs Chevy, and the new Ford Transits...
crusher773
3/19/2020 6:15pm
I drove one of those Duramax vans back in 2006 when I was working for FedEx. That thing ran great I would love to have one for a moto van.
Schmitt
4/2/2020 9:18am
Schmitt wrote:
Great build! Like the steal wall and sofa That sofa is perfect, wonder if seat belts can be added/ child safety hooks for car seats What...

Thanks, the sofa doesn't come with a mounting frame so it should be pretty easy to as seatbelt/ carseat mounting points on the frame while your...
Thanks, the sofa doesn't come with a mounting frame so it should be pretty easy to as seatbelt/ carseat mounting points on the frame while your making it. The wheels are 18s on 285/60/18s.
Do you know the offset on the wheel you went with?

Are you lifted at all? Would like to run that tire size if I can fit stock height

Thanks
4/2/2020 9:24am
Schmitt wrote:

Thanks, the sofa doesn't come with a mounting frame so it should be pretty easy to as seatbelt/ carseat mounting points on the frame while your...
Schmitt wrote:
Do you know the offset on the wheel you went with? Are you lifted at all? Would like to run that tire size if I can...

Are you lifted at all? Would like to run that tire size if I can fit stock height

Thanks
Its a 0 offset wheel. It did need a little trimming on the back of the fender. A slightly smaller tire would probably work alot better if your worried about rubbing.
Schmitt
4/2/2020 9:29am
Schmitt wrote:
Do you know the offset on the wheel you went with? Are you lifted at all? Would like to run that tire size if I can...

Thanks
Its a 0 offset wheel. It did need a little trimming on the back of the fender. A slightly smaller tire would probably work alot better...
Its a 0 offset wheel. It did need a little trimming on the back of the fender. A slightly smaller tire would probably work alot better if your worried about rubbing.
Thank you sir!!

I was thinking 275-60-18. That would be just a touch narrower

You Lifted in front at all?
4/2/2020 10:09am
Schmitt wrote:

Thanks
Its a 0 offset wheel. It did need a little trimming on the back of the fender. A slightly smaller tire would probably work alot better...
Schmitt wrote:
Thank you sir!!

I was thinking 275-60-18. That would be just a touch narrower

You Lifted in front at all?
No stock height.
9/17/2020 2:13pm
Cokeham23 wrote:
Awesome build man! This is the exact van I’m looking for, so cool to see one done up. I’ll probably end up buying a gas one...
Yea there hard to come by, the 06-07 are the best years and even 08-10 are really good too.
In your van can you get 3 bikes in there. Looks like you have to turn the wheel to just get 2 in without hitting the door. Looking at purchasing the extended Express. Just have not seen anybody with 3 bikes in rear with a wall in the position you have yours in.
9/17/2020 2:43pm
Cokeham23 wrote:
In your van can you get 3 bikes in there. Looks like you have to turn the wheel to just get 2 in without hitting the...
In your van can you get 3 bikes in there. Looks like you have to turn the wheel to just get 2 in without hitting the door. Looking at purchasing the extended Express. Just have not seen anybody with 3 bikes in rear with a wall in the position you have yours in.
I haven't tried it yet but length wise it would work i would need to move the toolbox.
Jdawggg
9/17/2020 8:53pm
Cokeham23 wrote:
In your van can you get 3 bikes in there. Looks like you have to turn the wheel to just get 2 in without hitting the...
I have a g2500 extended with similar set up and can put 3 bikes (no center box) just put the middle bike in backwards also the reason you turn the bars is so they dont hit the side of the van if you want to put the wheel straight you would have to put the bike more in the middle.

Post a reply to: MOTO VAN build. Chevy express duramax.

The Latest