MX Gear for Beginner

EriCS1991
Edited Date/Time 7/10/2020 10:37am
Any suggestions on Mx gear for beginner? Curious to see what helmets, chest protector and pants and jersey combo would be a good choice that doesn’t break the bank. I currently have an older pair of Fox F3 boots that have been barely used that I will dust off. I was looking at the Fox V1 or V2 helmets as well as the Leatt 4.5 gpx. As far as jersey and pants the Fly kinetic, Fox 180, and Leatt 4.5.
|
7/9/2020 6:22am
As a beginner, I'd say a quality helmet, boots, and knee/shin pads are the bare minimum you should have. Its always kind of tough to recommend stuff to a beginner, you don't want them to break the bank, but how much is your safety worth to you? If I was just starting out I wouldn't put my head in a brain bucket that was less than $300 (I currently wear a Shoei), but the Fox V2 at $250 should be good. As far as jersey/pants/gloves, I don't think any one brand will protect you any better than any other brand. Most brands should be dropping their 2021 lines soon so the 2020 stuff you should be able to get a good deal on, even on some of the higher end tiers. Haven't worn a neckbrace since 2010 so I can't help you there. If you do get one, maybe find a compatible chest protector that will go with it for comfort.
EngIceDave
7/9/2020 6:27am
As a beginner, I'd say a quality helmet, boots, and knee/shin pads are the bare minimum you should have. Its always kind of tough to recommend...
As a beginner, I'd say a quality helmet, boots, and knee/shin pads are the bare minimum you should have. Its always kind of tough to recommend stuff to a beginner, you don't want them to break the bank, but how much is your safety worth to you? If I was just starting out I wouldn't put my head in a brain bucket that was less than $300 (I currently wear a Shoei), but the Fox V2 at $250 should be good. As far as jersey/pants/gloves, I don't think any one brand will protect you any better than any other brand. Most brands should be dropping their 2021 lines soon so the 2020 stuff you should be able to get a good deal on, even on some of the higher end tiers. Haven't worn a neckbrace since 2010 so I can't help you there. If you do get one, maybe find a compatible chest protector that will go with it for comfort.
This is correct, and don't cheap out, especially on a Helmet and Boots

The Shop

EriCS1991
7/9/2020 6:30am
Ok so I will spend less on the pants and jersey and put most of the money on the helmet. I have a pair of six six one knee pads already from my short time DH mountain biking I could use.
EngIceDave
7/9/2020 6:33am
EriCS1991 wrote:
Ok so I will spend less on the pants and jersey and put most of the money on the helmet. I have a pair of six...
Ok so I will spend less on the pants and jersey and put most of the money on the helmet. I have a pair of six six one knee pads already from my short time DH mountain biking I could use.
Initially, that's not a terrible idea, considering we have no idea of your budget

Jersey can be a long sleeve T

Helmet and boots, top priority, IMO
Motofinne
7/9/2020 6:42am
You haven't given any kind of budget indication so it's pretty difficult to help.

But search for Bell Moto 9 Flex on Ebay. I bought one a month ago for 250 GBP, you wont find a better helmet for that price. Then after that look for closeout pants, jersey and gloves. You should be able to get mid range gear for around 100 bucks.
huutnanny
7/9/2020 6:52am
Seems like those leatt helmets maybe a good deal. I haven’t worn one but I do like that they actually publish some of their helmet data in a format that doesn’t look like an infotisement. Any thought on the Leatt lids?
JA33
7/9/2020 6:57am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2020 7:00am
Search for good deals online of in a shop.
Wandell
7/9/2020 7:01am
Yep, shop the clearance sections at Rocky Mountain MC or Motosport Outlet.
MotofactioN
7/9/2020 7:15am
Don’t cheap out on the helmet. How much do you value your brain? Spend the most on the helmet my friend. If you can, get the best of the best. Low speed impacts can hurt your bad too.

Gear wise, buy some leftover, outdated clearance gear from your favorite brand Cool

Boots, get some entry level $100-$150 boots, then if you really like it, buy some nice ones with ankle support.

Goggles and gloves are whatever you want.
AE448
7/9/2020 7:28am
I should be well qualified with this one as I always had to make do on a budget! As others have said, don't cheap out on a helmet. A cheap good helmet here in the UK costs ~£120...Fox V1 for example. It's a budget helmet, it'll be heavier than the more expensive ones but it'll do a good job. You can go as cheap as you like on jersey & pants...the cheap stuff may not look "cool" but in my experience it often lasts as long as the expensive good-looking kit. I would buy dedicated motocross knee pads. I used to wear some cheap MTB ones when I first started, I now look back and cringe because they are so flimsy. I have never bought the expensive knee braces...I'm sure they're great but I cannot afford them! I do spend around £100 on a set though (Thor Force is what I've always bought). These offer a lot more protection than your MTB ones. You can really damage your knees easily, I wouldn't overlook this area. Boots - again I've always bought cheap (maximum £130). They have always done the job. As I get older and begin to earn more money, I do buy the "middle-ground" kit now and you do get what you pay for in terms of quality and luxury (e.g. lighter helmets, top quality kit), but the cheaper stuff is good enough to begin with for sure!
mikec265
7/9/2020 12:44pm
I buy a lot of MSR pants, jerseys, and helmets with the MIPS system from Rocky Mountain at closeout prices. If you know you're going to ride for years just get good boots. I can't ride with anything but a top of the line boot, or else my feet hurt. Some might argue about the MSR helmet, but I figure with the MIPS system they are pretty good unless real data proves me wrong.
Usually about $125 for the helmet on closeout, $40 for pants, $15 for the jerseys. I doubt you can find those deals right now, and they sell pretty fast while on closeout at those prices. eBay has also been great at times for buying gear that's barely been used and dirt cheap. If you find killer deals pounce on them fast in this market because they won't last long.
CM_84
7/9/2020 3:15pm
If you have a $100 head....buy a $100 helmet.

As others have said, second priority is a decent set of boots, you dont have to go top line tech 10 level, but get a good mid range boot, they will last a long time too, so that is a plus.
The rest you can save some money on.
7/9/2020 3:35pm
Most important: helmet, boots, knee protection

Mid: gloves and goggles

Last: pants, jersey

Take your budget and scale accordingly. Riding socks are nice and so are compression shorts once you get you gear selection built up.
EriCS1991
7/9/2020 3:49pm
huutnanny wrote:
Seems like those leatt helmets maybe a good deal. I haven’t worn one but I do like that they actually publish some of their helmet data...
Seems like those leatt helmets maybe a good deal. I haven’t worn one but I do like that they actually publish some of their helmet data in a format that doesn’t look like an infotisement. Any thought on the Leatt lids?
Yes I was interested in the Leatt helmets
EriCS1991
7/9/2020 3:53pm
I have an older pair of Fox F3 boots that I barely used so those would be suffice. Seems like 300 or so and up is the price point I need to spend on a good helmet and then a 100 bucks for the pants and jersey. I guess a chest protector can only help so I’ll pick up one of those as well, thanks for the feedback everybody
Munson'd
Fantasy
1083rd
7/9/2020 4:53pm
You can find some good deals on the TLD Se4 helmet.
Taylor415
7/9/2020 8:41pm
A true beginner- get what you can afford. You don’t need a 650 lid and 600 tech tens to roll everything at a track. That’s why people don’t join the sport. Go grab some tech 3, a MIPS close out helmet and some gear you think looks good. Likely nothing wrong with that stuff, but you can upgrade as you see fit. Figure out what you like.
chump6784
7/9/2020 10:38pm
I really like the Bell mx-9 with MIPS. Very comfortable and well priced.
Alpinestars tech 5's are a good mid level boot
Good plastic body armour will protect you in falls as well some decent knee/shin guards
The rest like gloves, goggles, pants and jersey is up to you, none are really more protective than others
iudi2006
Fantasy
229th
7/10/2020 2:34am
Motorcycle Closeouts , Motosport and Rocky Mountain ATV are the places you wanna go to if you're looking for the best deal. I alternate between those three for most of the gear/parts that i order and a few also give you rewards for future purchases.

You can find lightly used high end gear off local motocross forums and craigslist .
One time i got a practically brand new Shoei VFX ( $600+ retail ) for $150 from a guy who bought the wrong size for himself and passed the date he could return it. You could probably find some good quality used boots for cheap as well.

Don't know if budget is even a problem for you but those are some options you have if you wanna get the most out of your money.

Look around your area.
AxlBundy
7/10/2020 5:29am
Close outs
Bell mx-9 helmet
Fly Maverik boots
Fly F16 pants
any gloves

That will get you in the door, then you can eventually start upgrading as funds alow
EriCS1991
7/10/2020 6:02am
mikec265 wrote:
I believe this is an excellent deal on a helmet with higher end protection. Prove me wrong and I'll stop wearing one of them and switch...
I believe this is an excellent deal on a helmet with higher end protection. Prove me wrong and I'll stop wearing one of them and switch to something better. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/msr-2020-mav4-w-mips-hel…
Yea I don’t think you can beat this price and it has MIPS. How is the venting on this helmet?
mikec265
7/10/2020 6:16am
mikec265 wrote:
I believe this is an excellent deal on a helmet with higher end protection. Prove me wrong and I'll stop wearing one of them and switch...
I believe this is an excellent deal on a helmet with higher end protection. Prove me wrong and I'll stop wearing one of them and switch to something better. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/msr-2020-mav4-w-mips-hel…
EriCS1991 wrote:
Yea I don’t think you can beat this price and it has MIPS. How is the venting on this helmet?
Not the best venting, but it doesn't bother me. I guess it's decent.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
7/10/2020 7:07am
AxlBundy wrote:
Close outs Bell mx-9 helmet Fly Maverik boots Fly F16 pants any gloves That will get you in the door, then you can eventually start upgrading...
Close outs
Bell mx-9 helmet
Fly Maverik boots
Fly F16 pants
any gloves

That will get you in the door, then you can eventually start upgrading as funds alow
I don't recommend the F16 Fly gear because it doesn't have leather on the inside of the knees. Kinetic does and if you buy closeout colors it is about the same price or cheaper. Kinetic Mesh is nice for the summer but it is not as durable as standard Kinetic (but still pretty good).

I saw Fly F2 carbon helmets for around $200 at the local shop a couple of weeks ago. You can probably find a deal on one of those and they are pretty light and protect well. My other advice for helmets is try it on and make sure it fits ok.

Boots I would not go super cheap on. Try them on. Alpinestars are a lot more comfortable for me than Fox but for some people it is the opposite. Look at used too. You can usually find barely used stuff for decent prices.

If you go neck brace try to get one that is compatible with your chest/back protector. For chest and knees I like CE rated stuff because at least you know it was tested. For chest/back make sure it protects both. You are going to take handlebars into ribs at some point so you may want something that wraps around and protects your sides too. I have shoulder protection on mine but I question how effective shoulder cups are.

Buy googles that fit your face and helmet well. Try blowing hard with goggles on to make sure your breath doesn't flow the wrong way and fog them up. That is where good fit comes in. The wide angle ones are nice but until you try them you won't know what you are missing so don't feel like you have to have them. Dual pane lenses absolutely help prevent fogging but for track use fogging is not usually an issue because you are moving faster than in the woods. I always keep at least one tear off on my goggles to protect the lens from scratches.

Number one thing is look for closeouts. You will save at least 50% vs buying the current colors.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/10/2020 9:02am
Like I recommended to my friend who just bought his first bike:

Helmet, goggles, gloves and boots are the bare minimum. You can get by with jeans and a long tee shirt, but don't expect to be comfortable.
He went out and bought one piece from every major manufacturer I can think of. I'm not kidding: Alpinestars boots, Fly pants, TLD jersey, Fox chest protector, Thor gloves, HJC helmet and 100% goggles. It's like he went into the store with a clothing magnet and took whatever stuck! Grinning Whatever, it will protect him and he got clearance items and saved money. The guy is having fun and will be safe at his speed and likelihood of serious crashes (not very high.)

I suggest you do the same: get as much protective gear as you can for your budget. Worry about the style and brands later.
Motox627!
7/10/2020 10:37am
What size pants/jersey you wear? Im cleaning out the old riding gear this weekend and will see what i have. I don't ride near as much as i want to, so most of my stuff is in good shape.

Post a reply to: MX Gear for Beginner

The Latest