MX SPORTS

adub274
11/28/2012 11:58am Edited Date/Time 12/7/2012 11:45am
Congratulations you have officially killed women's Mx . 3 rounds ?? What happened to incorporating Mammoth and Loretta's into the WMX Pro schedule. Do you think any Girls can even get sponsors for a 3 race series ? Get a skid plate and race endurocross or WORCS because MX doesn't want you . I know most of you don't like WMX but they do bring money into the industry . Plenty of fathers buy their daughters bikes , gear and all that goes with it so they can try to be like Ashley , Tara , JP , Balbi , Creson , Whitmore , Price , Pearson . This will take money away from the industry and encourage Fathers to get their daughters into different sports . The Loretta #'s and local #'s have been growing ever since the Women went mainstream . Now they will dwindle to nothing . It might take a couple years but they have nothing to aspire to now . Even round 3 at Southwick will be the same weekend as Mammoth so they can't experience Mammoth as a pro .
|
DC
11/28/2012 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2012 12:15pm
Sorry, adub274, I was the one who came up with the idea of incorporating the big amateur events like Mammoth and Loretta Lynn's and Ponca into a series and the vast majority of WMX girls I spoke to and exchanged emails with did not want to go that route as part of a series... We can't go back to two-day programs, and the girls did not want to race on Sundays either, which is all understandable.

But we are expanding the live TV package for the 450 and 250 classes and that severely limits the amount of time in the day for a quality set of motos at the other rounds for WMX, let alone all of the time needed for track maintenance, sighting laps, podiums, moving equipment and people around, etc.

I searched for better ideas, offered some of my own, looked for sponsors and I came up short. If you have a better idea, please let me know: DC@mxsports.com

DC
MX Sports
newmann
11/28/2012 12:15pm
6 rounds WMA National Championship
6 rounds 125cc National Championship

I always thought that sounded pretty good.Smile
newmann
11/28/2012 12:17pm
And you had a holeshot award sponsor for the 125's DC!

The Shop

adub274
11/28/2012 12:23pm
DC wrote:
Sorry, adub274, I was the one who came up with the idea of incorporating the big amateur events like Mammoth and Loretta Lynn's and Ponca into...
Sorry, adub274, I was the one who came up with the idea of incorporating the big amateur events like Mammoth and Loretta Lynn's and Ponca into a series and the vast majority of WMX girls I spoke to and exchanged emails with did not want to go that route as part of a series... We can't go back to two-day programs, and the girls did not want to race on Sundays either, which is all understandable.

But we are expanding the live TV package for the 450 and 250 classes and that severely limits the amount of time in the day for a quality set of motos at the other rounds for WMX, let alone all of the time needed for track maintenance, sighting laps, podiums, moving equipment and people around, etc.

I searched for better ideas, offered some of my own, looked for sponsors and I came up short. If you have a better idea, please let me know: DC@mxsports.com

DC
MX Sports
I think they were all holding on to the fact that the series would be more than 3 rounds . I bet if you asked now they would be more than happy to add some other big time amateur venues to make a series that allows them to show their sponsors they can be worthy of some support . If you think the talent level was short before it will get worse now . I find it hard to believe that professional women mxer's will put a bunch of focus and money into a 3 race series . Hopefully some other options will pop up for the women professionals to justify a girl even wanting or trying to become a professional .
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
11/28/2012 12:28pm
DC wrote:
Sorry, adub274, I was the one who came up with the idea of incorporating the big amateur events like Mammoth and Loretta Lynn's and Ponca into...

DC
MX Sports
adub274 wrote:
I think they were all holding on to the fact that the series would be more than 3 rounds . I bet if you asked now...
I think they were all holding on to the fact that the series would be more than 3 rounds . I bet if you asked now they would be more than happy to add some other big time amateur venues to make a series that allows them to show their sponsors they can be worthy of some support . If you think the talent level was short before it will get worse now . I find it hard to believe that professional women mxer's will put a bunch of focus and money into a 3 race series . Hopefully some other options will pop up for the women professionals to justify a girl even wanting or trying to become a professional .
I'm sure they're disappointed, but the tail doesn't wag the dog.
Switch
11/28/2012 12:36pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
adub274 wrote:
I think they were all holding on to the fact that the series would be more than 3 rounds . I bet if you asked now...
You write this as if they aren't allowed to sign up for a pro national and compete with the men? If they TRULY want to be a professional, they have options other than this 3 race series. If they don't like it here, they can also go to another country/series to race.
adub274
11/28/2012 12:53pm
What other physically demanding professional sports do women compete directly against men in ?
jbomx363
11/28/2012 1:00pm
Nail in coffin. What a shame.

Maybe Ashley knew it was headed for the crapper and was smart to retire.

Line up with the men?... yeah right.

Facts are facts and women cannot compete with the men in this sport or a lot of sports. This is why there is a need for separation. (wnba, womens tennis, womens golf (with few exceptions), womens boxing, etc. etc.)

Understandable, there probably weren't even enough sponsors to pay them to get to the races, but it was something for a few of them.
bayodome
Fantasy
4180th
11/28/2012 1:05pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
I like the Mammoth, LL's, etc. idea. What was the reason the WMX riders gave for not wanting to go in that direction?

With 3 National appearances plus the major Amateur events, that seems like it would have been a good compromise.
SunComfort
11/28/2012 1:09pm
adub274 wrote:
What other physically demanding professional sports do women compete directly against men in ?
Exactly, all other sports, the women have their own deal.
If womens MX is so popular, then why cant they start their
own series?! Because few people are that interested in watching
chicks go fast on dirt bikes. not knock'n it, but if were sooo popular
it would be able to hold its own, but it cant, it has to ride on the back
of the men's series, which has been cut down to minimums so the
fairweather fans will come out to watch. What do you propose, taking
some more meat off the mens series, so the girls can race?!
I for one, love women, but this whole thing of having to bend over
everytime a chick has an idea, is getting old.
Why blame DC or Mxsports, for all the short comings of womens mx?
DonM
11/28/2012 1:13pm
jbomx363 wrote:
Nail in coffin. What a shame. Maybe Ashley knew it was headed for the crapper and was smart to retire. Line up with the men?... yeah...
Nail in coffin. What a shame.

Maybe Ashley knew it was headed for the crapper and was smart to retire.

Line up with the men?... yeah right.

Facts are facts and women cannot compete with the men in this sport or a lot of sports. This is why there is a need for separation. (wnba, womens tennis, womens golf (with few exceptions), womens boxing, etc. etc.)

Understandable, there probably weren't even enough sponsors to pay them to get to the races, but it was something for a few of them.
You bring up a good comparison, WNBA, that has been a real failure and hasn't been able to stand on it's own. Without the NBA that has bailed the WNBA out and just for comparison the WNBA season is just a handful of games (almost like a 3 race series).
And for Adub...I don't think DC or MXSports did anything but support WMX, they took it from an amateur sport and made it bigger than it could ever have been on it's own. I'm pretty sure DC didn't make a hasty decision but did what he had to do to grow the sport overall and that's what is most important.
SunComfort
11/28/2012 1:14pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
bayodome wrote:
I like the Mammoth, LL's, etc. idea. What was the reason the WMX riders gave for not wanting to go in that direction? With 3 National...
I like the Mammoth, LL's, etc. idea. What was the reason the WMX riders gave for not wanting to go in that direction?

With 3 National appearances plus the major Amateur events, that seems like it would have been a good compromise.
from my experience, women dont like compromise, they like
having their way, what ever it may be.!
Just goes to show the outlook. 3 major races are better than
no races at all.! Which sounds like what is gonna happen!
This sport is hard enuff to watch these kids/guys getting hurt
i really dont care to see girls going thru the same motions.!
a chick in a cast is not flattering or sexy IMHO
Agent717
11/28/2012 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2012 1:14pm
Kitchens everywhere rejoice.
Well Played
Switch
11/28/2012 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2012 1:22pm
adub274 wrote:
Then why doesn't someone start their own seperate WMX series where they can create their own schedule, rules and collect sponsorship money? We both know the answer to this one.

MX Sports limped this series along as long as they could, and when it was time to make cuts, they did what they had to do to get the sport to a mainstream level (live TV). I don't see why they wouldn't want to hit all of the major amateur nationals, its better than not racing at all.
adub274
11/28/2012 1:43pm
I never said anything about only 3 races being held in conjuction with the MX Nationals . I understand for TV this is the best you can do until the market becomes better for Women's MX . But if you own the WMX at least give them a series . The 3 races with the MX Nationals is great how about adding 3-5 more rounds where the bigger events are already being held ? I know you said you emailed back and forth with some of the girls but there are about 100 girls that this effects . I do like the fact DC that you are open to suggestion . I also like the idea of having a few rounds at the bigger amateur events . It is better than nothing . I just think if you don't give them some kind of 8 race series all interest will be lost . I know , I know the kitchens will have a hundred more women in them . For you WMX haters they do bring money into the industry . From the bikes and equipment they buy to all the bikes and equipment every little girls dad buys .
three9zero
11/28/2012 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2012 1:50pm
Women skiers and snowboarders seem to have things pretty good. The seem have great series(s) to compete in.......and get paid pretty good, especially the pretty ones.
Girls like Gretchen Blieler
https://youtu.be/pcLLhIzhc6c
https://youtu.be/W6XcUV8iR08

and Lindsay Vonn come to mind.
https://youtu.be/i6T8LfDwQjo
https://youtu.be/09GRD0YRnYk
Crush
11/28/2012 2:23pm
Kitchens everywhere rejoice.
WOW
11/28/2012 2:31pm
SunComfort wrote:
Exactly, all other sports, the women have their own deal. If womens MX is so popular, then why cant they start their own series?! Because few...
Exactly, all other sports, the women have their own deal.
If womens MX is so popular, then why cant they start their
own series?! Because few people are that interested in watching
chicks go fast on dirt bikes. not knock'n it, but if were sooo popular
it would be able to hold its own, but it cant, it has to ride on the back
of the men's series, which has been cut down to minimums so the
fairweather fans will come out to watch. What do you propose, taking
some more meat off the mens series, so the girls can race?!
I for one, love women, but this whole thing of having to bend over
everytime a chick has an idea, is getting old.
Why blame DC or Mxsports, for all the short comings of womens mx?
Well said
11/28/2012 2:37pm
adub274 wrote:
AMA Road Racing and AMA Flat track racing!!!
Mr. Info
11/28/2012 2:44pm
Well since there is less racing its good for the tracks because the cost goes down right? Ticket prices go down right? Pro Payback goes up right? Does someone have this answer? Right.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
11/28/2012 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2012 2:55pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Well since there is less racing its good for the tracks because the cost goes down right? Ticket prices go down right? Pro Payback goes up...
Well since there is less racing its good for the tracks because the cost goes down right? Ticket prices go down right? Pro Payback goes up right? Does someone have this answer? Right.
Because people buy tickets to see WMX?

Sounds like an opportunity for Glen Helen; how about you guys put that series on there. It'll be easier and less costly for everyone involved, and you'll make a ton at the gate, which is what you seem to be exclusively concerned about.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
11/28/2012 3:01pm
Maybe next year they can drop the last three rounds and we will be done with the WMX altogether. we can only hope.
NV825
Fantasy
2711th
11/28/2012 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2012 3:08pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Well since there is less racing its good for the tracks because the cost goes down right? Ticket prices go down right? Pro Payback goes up...
Because every flagger, event staff, and everyone else involved is paid on a per gate drop basis?

I do feel for the girls because I'm sure they were expecting a minimum 6 round series and did not prefer to include amateur nationals in that, but hindsight is always 20/20 and perhaps 2014 it could be worked out to be a 3 round stop and include the amateur nationals.
11/28/2012 3:06pm
adub274 wrote:
Congratulations you have officially killed women's Mx . 3 rounds ?? What happened to incorporating Mammoth and Loretta's into the WMX Pro schedule. Do you think...
Congratulations you have officially killed women's Mx . 3 rounds ?? What happened to incorporating Mammoth and Loretta's into the WMX Pro schedule. Do you think any Girls can even get sponsors for a 3 race series ? Get a skid plate and race endurocross or WORCS because MX doesn't want you . I know most of you don't like WMX but they do bring money into the industry . Plenty of fathers buy their daughters bikes , gear and all that goes with it so they can try to be like Ashley , Tara , JP , Balbi , Creson , Whitmore , Price , Pearson . This will take money away from the industry and encourage Fathers to get their daughters into different sports . The Loretta #'s and local #'s have been growing ever since the Women went mainstream . Now they will dwindle to nothing . It might take a couple years but they have nothing to aspire to now . Even round 3 at Southwick will be the same weekend as Mammoth so they can't experience Mammoth as a pro .
My opinion is worth nothing, but I think women motocrossers should be thankful they get any time on the main program of any major championship. Women MXers sucks big time!! Slow and boring to watch.

You should be thanking DC for what he has done until now.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
11/28/2012 3:20pm
Geoff, you know all the right things to say to women.
Mr. Info
11/28/2012 3:24pm
FTE your right, you sure your not Davey Coombs under a different name. If not then Great Minds think alike. If your not Davey you must be real important. And FTE its not about making money anymore because ask each track the simple question who made money last year. If your Davey and using a different name you know who. Ask Hangtown, ask Colorado, ask Texas, ask Elsinore, ask them all. Wait there I go lying again I have this bad habit. Every track made their money back and more. Jim was right on the money when he discribed you. Are you sure your not a goverment offical. You can't wait for the Bullet Train and voted for higher taxes. You have no heart for the sport anymore. Women kicked out or what next kick out the kids from racing also, and maybe the Vets because they need to grow up and be adults. Its only a sport and everyone has the right to play until someone takes their ball and goes home so know one can.
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
11/28/2012 3:28pm
Excluding 50% of the population is never a good idea in my mind.

I hope they can get back to a televised 6 race series at some point. These girls are getting faster and faster every year and im sure the fact that they had a clear goal to aspire to has something to do with that.

I know there is still a world championship for them to aspire to, but living in australia i know myself and alot of fellow riders see the US as the pinnacle. I still hope in the future to see Ruttledge vs Tricker vs Duncan in the WMX. If they dont get the opportunity to showcase there talents on an acceptable stage there is no way in the world any of these girls will get the support needed to be able to get better or even afford to compete in a series.
crf250pilot
11/28/2012 3:30pm
Too funny!! Thanks GuyB, I needed that laugh. I was actually looking foward to the WMX next year, Was hoping to see the girl that put it on everyone this year at Lake Elsinore battle the Americans for the title.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
11/28/2012 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2012 3:40pm
Mr. Info wrote:
FTE your right, you sure your not Davey Coombs under a different name. If not then Great Minds think alike. If your not Davey you must...
FTE your right, you sure your not Davey Coombs under a different name. If not then Great Minds think alike. If your not Davey you must be real important. And FTE its not about making money anymore because ask each track the simple question who made money last year. If your Davey and using a different name you know who. Ask Hangtown, ask Colorado, ask Texas, ask Elsinore, ask them all. Wait there I go lying again I have this bad habit. Every track made their money back and more. Jim was right on the money when he discribed you. Are you sure your not a goverment offical. You can't wait for the Bullet Train and voted for higher taxes. You have no heart for the sport anymore. Women kicked out or what next kick out the kids from racing also, and maybe the Vets because they need to grow up and be adults. Its only a sport and everyone has the right to play until someone takes their ball and goes home so know one can.
Look, simpleton, I'm not Davey. The tracks attract nobody unless the series is run in such a way that the best talent ~ not WMX, the best talent ~ can take the sport to sponsors and sell them a program that will fund their racing. If that doesn't happen, the tracks have nothing on pro race day.

You're entitled to think that WMX is why 95% of the fans come to a pro race, and that cutting it will take away your gate in a big way. I think you're wrong. But your "is that you Davey posting under a different name" nonsense doesn't just make you wrong, it makes you a kook as well.

Post a reply to: MX SPORTS

The Latest