MX Sports' impact on USGP rider turnout

Husky360
8/25/2017 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2017 5:53pm
None of friends could understand why YS partnered with MX Sports but I was waiting to see the entry list before forming an opinion.

Looking at the USGP rider list earlier this week, I don't see any real difference from the USGPs at Glen Helen. There might actually be fewer US riders in MXGP next weekend than what raced the USGP at Glen Helen in 2015. I don't see where YS is gaining anything from the alliance but MX Sports is having their amateur races with 36 classes.

Good deal for MX Sports it appears but not so much for YS.

|
8/25/2017 6:46pm
Was MX Sports supposed to create more riders to race it?
RandyS
8/25/2017 6:47pm
Husky360 wrote:
None of friends could understand why YS partnered with MX Sports but I was waiting to see the entry list before forming an opinion. Looking at...
None of friends could understand why YS partnered with MX Sports but I was waiting to see the entry list before forming an opinion.

Looking at the USGP rider list earlier this week, I don't see any real difference from the USGPs at Glen Helen. There might actually be fewer US riders in MXGP next weekend than what raced the USGP at Glen Helen in 2015. I don't see where YS is gaining anything from the alliance but MX Sports is having their amateur races with 36 classes.

Good deal for MX Sports it appears but not so much for YS.

So 36 classes worth of amateur families will be traveling to Florida to race on the MXGP track the day before the MX1 and MX2 guys take over. But you don't see a benefit to Youthstream? Huh.
500guy
8/25/2017 6:54pm
Let me translate.

Boo fuckin hooo , I thought DC would force people to race this race. like that's a thing in the USA huh

The Shop

8/25/2017 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2017 6:55pm
Husky360, I agree with you, man. The MX Sports "partnership" seems essentially meaningless so far. I think we need to give it a couple or three years and see if there's any additional comingling between the FIM and AMA series. (That's assuming the partnership even lasts, which I kinda doubt it will.)

early
Fantasy
2139th
8/25/2017 7:19pm
Look at the entry list for ironman, he cant even get riders to his series
St Ann More
8/25/2017 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2017 7:41pm
Can't help but think the promoter/DC have arguably been a victim of circumstance here, what with injuries and that? Either way, if they can't get this thing to work, then the USGP could be doomed and that would suck!

DC
8/25/2017 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2017 7:35pm
MX Sports is not the promoter of the MXGP of the USA, those aren't "our 36 amateur classes," but I am glad they are there. The U.S. promoter is Unlimited MX and the venue is WW Motocross Park, the series organizer is Youthstream. All of us would like to see a viable, attractive U.S. round of MXGP. It's going to take some work and some time, but we're up for it. But none of us are going to force anyone to go anywhere to race. We all hope to build an event entertaining and attractive enough to get the interest back up in a USGP, and if we build that, hopefully they will come.

And Brownstone, it's not meaningless, it's just early. And I'm thinking it will last, but I'm an optimist, always. But there are still 29 races on the AMA schedule, and a lot of guys ready for some time off (and time to heal). We will do the best we can with the guy who do show up, and hope that we build an a must-attend MXGP of the USA.

See you guys in Jacksonville, right?

DC
Racer X

Husky360
8/25/2017 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2017 7:41pm
Not at all. I was told MX Sports was supposed to make sure they had a dismal turnout again for the USGP because YS wasn't sure if they could repeat another poorly attended USGP by themselves..

After all, there's something to be said for consistency, right?
DonM
8/25/2017 7:40pm
Man I don't understand why people don't want to go see these guys race...Charlotte was awesome last year
Jeff alessi
8/25/2017 7:45pm
I think daveys willingness to create a positive relationship with YS will be all positive, imagine if we get to see a round of the nationals and us gp together! How much more excited could anyone get seeing all of the best get to race together in a east west shootout kind of race that matters to both sides! At the end of the day this is what our sport needs to grow, this is a big step in the relationship mx sports is creating with YS. I can't wait to hear what these two major promoters come up with for all of us as fans or racers to be apart of!
APLMAN99
8/25/2017 7:47pm
Husky360 wrote:
Not at all. I was told MX Sports was supposed to make sure they had a dismal turnout again for the USGP because YS wasn't sure...
Not at all. I was told MX Sports was supposed to make sure they had a dismal turnout again for the USGP because YS wasn't sure if they could repeat another poorly attended USGP by themselves..

swtwtwtw
8/25/2017 7:48pm
So dc, constructively, drop 2 or 3 nationals and give our guys a break.
8/25/2017 7:52pm
Husky360 wrote:
Not at all. I was told MX Sports was supposed to make sure they had a dismal turnout again for the USGP because YS wasn't sure...

I just don't think it's easy as that, no matter what the relationship is between Youthstream and MX Sports, if the riders don't want to do it they're not going to do it.
500guy
8/25/2017 8:54pm
I just don't think it's easy as that, no matter what the relationship is between Youthstream and MX Sports, if the riders don't want to do...
I just don't think it's easy as that, no matter what the relationship is between Youthstream and MX Sports, if the riders don't want to do it they're not going to do it.
There is little upside to Non regulars racing the USGP

Can you imagine say a guy on Suzuki losing the title by 3 points after a guy like Say RC went 1-1 and the GP regular went 2-2 ?

There are so many factors, it's an unrealistic goal to have all of the best from both sides in a race like this.

The GP's are good on their own, it's just the US fans that are not hard core just don't care much.
8/25/2017 10:17pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
No way. It's only 12 rounds as it is. If anything drop 3 from Supercross.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
8/25/2017 10:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2017 10:41pm
Frankly, I cant believe DC even comes on here anymore. The shit that gets spewed by people is comical. Seriously, bitching about the intricacies of YS/MX Sports relationship as they involve USGP, amateur racing, blah blah blah, based solely on assumptions, at best?

Hey, I know, Im going to present a factual argument based on guesswork!
shuggs
8/26/2017 1:31am
swtwtwtw wrote:
That would be the best idea yet
dirtdog36
8/26/2017 4:15am
kzizok wrote:
Frankly, I cant believe DC even comes on here anymore. The shit that gets spewed by people is comical. Seriously, bitching about the intricacies of YS/MX...
Frankly, I cant believe DC even comes on here anymore. The shit that gets spewed by people is comical. Seriously, bitching about the intricacies of YS/MX Sports relationship as they involve USGP, amateur racing, blah blah blah, based solely on assumptions, at best?

X2
newmann
8/26/2017 6:24am
17 rounds of 450 SX and 12 rounds of 450 MX is the problem. Too much greed to realize they've killed the desire to race and retired the half the damn talent field by the time they turn 27 years old. Feld is too fucking greedy and powerful and the AMA and the OEM's have left our only hope (DC) hung out to dry. We can't even get three guys out of a population of over 300 million excited about representing our country in the MXdN without 70% of the fans whining about it being a B or C team.

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/How-to-save-motocross,132…
8/26/2017 6:46am
swtwtwtw wrote:
shuggs wrote:
That would be the best idea yet
Harry much agrees.

Much ty
8/26/2017 6:50am
newmann wrote:
17 rounds of 450 SX and 12 rounds of 450 MX is the problem. Too much greed to realize they've killed the desire to race and...
17 rounds of 450 SX and 12 rounds of 450 MX is the problem. Too much greed to realize they've killed the desire to race and retired the half the damn talent field by the time they turn 27 years old. Feld is too fucking greedy and powerful and the AMA and the OEM's have left our only hope (DC) hung out to dry. We can't even get three guys out of a population of over 300 million excited about representing our country in the MXdN without 70% of the fans whining about it being a B or C team.

Preach it newmann! 12 rounds of SX is enough. They could do 12 and give the guys several weekends off during the series. Maybe most of them could then stay healthy for MX.

The riders are the ones that will have to fix this. Don't you think? I can't see Feld & company shaving off SX rounds.

12 and 12. It's enough. The sport is brutal. MXGP does it right by giving the guys plenty of time off during the season.
Husky360
8/26/2017 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2017 3:53pm
kzizok wrote:
Frankly, I cant believe DC even comes on here anymore. The shit that gets spewed by people is comical. Seriously, bitching about the intricacies of YS/MX...

I apologize for getting the amateur promoter wrong. My USGP issue isn't just MX Sports but the alliance between MX Sports and YS. Read this from the announcement on Racer X's website and tell me if you think the rider entry list for the USGP comes even close to the goals:

MX Sports Pro Racing's cooperative supporting partnership of the USGP will help usher in a new era for the sport's global footprint. For the past two seasons MXGP has made the overseas trip to bring Europe's finest racers onto U.S. soil and close out the championship alongside the biggest names in American motocross. This new strategic alliance will begin this season with the 17th round of the championship on Labor Day weekend, September 2-3, and will continue for years to come. Currently the USGP does not have a designated home for the 2017 season and beyond, and will serve as the first priority of the new partnership between MX Sports Pro Racing and Youthstream.

"Bringing Youthstream and MX Sports Pro Racing together for the USGP will ensure that event enjoys continued success and becomes a fixture on the global racing calendar," said David Luongo, Vice President of Youthstream. "No one knows the sport of motocross and its illustrious history in American better than the Coombs family, and that expertise will help make the USGP a new motocross tradition for fans to celebrate, bringing the planet's best riders together in one place for a true showcase of this incredible sport."

In addition to the USGP, MX Sports Pro Racing will also serve as a cooperative partner to Youthstream in brining the legendary FIM Motocross of Nations to U.S. soil every four to five years.

I am hopeful that future USGPs well be better attended by US riders but given the lack of interest in US riders in the MXoN the last several years, don't see it happening.

8/26/2017 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2017 3:59pm
Rome wasn't built in a day, man.

Not to mention two months ago there wasn't even supposed to be a race at that track. Obviously that probably doesn't make any difference for the top US riders but I'm sure it does for some local riders or privateers.
Hut
8/26/2017 4:01pm
newmann wrote:
17 rounds of 450 SX and 12 rounds of 450 MX is the problem. Too much greed to realize they've killed the desire to race and...

Preach it newmann! 12 rounds of SX is enough. They could do 12 and give the guys several weekends off during the series. Maybe most of...
Preach it newmann! 12 rounds of SX is enough. They could do 12 and give the guys several weekends off during the series. Maybe most of them could then stay healthy for MX.

The riders are the ones that will have to fix this. Don't you think? I can't see Feld & company shaving off SX rounds.

12 and 12. It's enough. The sport is brutal. MXGP does it right by giving the guys plenty of time off during the season.
That's it! The only other option I could see would be hold all the races but figure a way to only allow each rider/team to race at x amount of races???? not good...
dkg
8/26/2017 4:20pm
Husky360 wrote:
I apologize for getting the amateur promoter wrong. My USGP issue isn't just MX Sports but the alliance between MX Sports and YS. Read this from...
I apologize for getting the amateur promoter wrong. My USGP issue isn't just MX Sports but the alliance between MX Sports and YS. Read this from the announcement on Racer X's website and tell me if you think the rider entry list for the USGP comes even close to the goals:

MX Sports Pro Racing's cooperative supporting partnership of the USGP will help usher in a new era for the sport's global footprint. For the past two seasons MXGP has made the overseas trip to bring Europe's finest racers onto U.S. soil and close out the championship alongside the biggest names in American motocross. This new strategic alliance will begin this season with the 17th round of the championship on Labor Day weekend, September 2-3, and will continue for years to come. Currently the USGP does not have a designated home for the 2017 season and beyond, and will serve as the first priority of the new partnership between MX Sports Pro Racing and Youthstream.

"Bringing Youthstream and MX Sports Pro Racing together for the USGP will ensure that event enjoys continued success and becomes a fixture on the global racing calendar," said David Luongo, Vice President of Youthstream. "No one knows the sport of motocross and its illustrious history in American better than the Coombs family, and that expertise will help make the USGP a new motocross tradition for fans to celebrate, bringing the planet's best riders together in one place for a true showcase of this incredible sport."

In addition to the USGP, MX Sports Pro Racing will also serve as a cooperative partner to Youthstream in brining the legendary FIM Motocross of Nations to U.S. soil every four to five years.

I am hopeful that future USGPs well be better attended by US riders but given the lack of interest in US riders in the MXoN the last several years, don't see it happening.

Sorry, having a bit of trouble following the logic here. Let me see if I got it right. Your point is that the partnership between YS and MX sports is bad for YS because either the entry list is the same as GH or because there isn’t enough of the AMA stars riding, correct?

Near as I have been able to gather the USGP was doa (dead on arrival) after the last few experiences at GH. Seems to me that MX Sports helped revive the event and at the very least they found it a home for 2017. As for the riders, if you’ve been paying attention at all to the US series, you are aware that the 450 field has been decimated by injuries this year. I realize that people like to find something to bitch about (many times just for the sake of starting a discussion board topic), so, I won’t take your post as an insult to the intellect of the human race. However, why don’t you find a different topic to complain about rather than how YS is not benefitting by a newly formed alliance that hasn’t even put on its first event yet.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
8/26/2017 4:28pm
Herlings did his part today, I bet there will be more interest in it now after watching how he handled the 450 class at the Ironman national.
Husky360
8/26/2017 9:11pm
dkg wrote:
Sorry, having a bit of trouble following the logic here. Let me see if I got it right. Your point is that the partnership between YS...
Sorry, having a bit of trouble following the logic here. Let me see if I got it right. Your point is that the partnership between YS and MX sports is bad for YS because either the entry list is the same as GH or because there isn’t enough of the AMA stars riding, correct?

Near as I have been able to gather the USGP was doa (dead on arrival) after the last few experiences at GH. Seems to me that MX Sports helped revive the event and at the very least they found it a home for 2017. As for the riders, if you’ve been paying attention at all to the US series, you are aware that the 450 field has been decimated by injuries this year. I realize that people like to find something to bitch about (many times just for the sake of starting a discussion board topic), so, I won’t take your post as an insult to the intellect of the human race. However, why don’t you find a different topic to complain about rather than how YS is not benefitting by a newly formed alliance that hasn’t even put on its first event yet.
I haven't had my coffee so am a bit grumpy.

Even with coffee, I can completely understand why you are having a bit of trouble. Perhaps you are the one that's an insult to human intellect to not see the entry list for the USGP is a good indication of how the first event will go.

dkg
8/26/2017 9:24pm
Husky360 wrote:
I haven't had my coffee so am a bit grumpy. Even with coffee, I can completely understand why you are having a bit of trouble. Perhaps...
I haven't had my coffee so am a bit grumpy.

Even with coffee, I can completely understand why you are having a bit of trouble. Perhaps you are the one that's an insult to human intellect to not see the entry list for the USGP is a good indication of how the first event will go.

Touché. Sorry for that. Guess I read to many other frustrating posts before I got to yours. Doesn’t change my opinion that the criticism is unwarranted. Probably could have said it sans the insult.

Post a reply to: MX Sports' impact on USGP rider turnout

The Latest