MX guys who run a kickstand, step in.

Vet Rider
10/27/2017 10:32pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2017 12:31pm
What kickstand are you running? This is my bike with the pro-moto one. Its awesome. Seems like it would take a lot for it to come down from a jump. Are you rubber banding them up to make sure? Do people yell fag at you when you are in the pits? Im sure nobody does lol, but in the past it was always frowned upon because it was uncool.

Im running this one because i do a lot of trails with my little guy. And I need to be able to hop off in a moments notice to help him when he dumps his bike. And this makes it much easier to get off the bike quick with out doing damage to it. Plus pee breaks are much easier. Pair that with the electric start, and this is the perfect bike for a lazy person. Lets here and see what you got.

|
KTM990SMT
10/27/2017 11:36pm
Vet Rider wrote:
What kickstand are you running? This is my bike with the pro-moto one. Its awesome. Seems like it would take a lot for it to come...
What kickstand are you running? This is my bike with the pro-moto one. Its awesome. Seems like it would take a lot for it to come down from a jump. Are you rubber banding them up to make sure? Do people yell fag at you when you are in the pits? Im sure nobody does lol, but in the past it was always frowned upon because it was uncool.

Im running this one because i do a lot of trails with my little guy. And I need to be able to hop off in a moments notice to help him when he dumps his bike. And this makes it much easier to get off the bike quick with out doing damage to it. Plus pee breaks are much easier. Pair that with the electric start, and this is the perfect bike for a lazy person. Lets here and see what you got.

I have a Honda 250x. trail bike. Came with a kickstand back in the day. I actually took it off because it was not "cool" at the time. I regret it. years later I wish I had a kickstand. Now I need to find a tree, or a buddy's side by side to park my bike against. Looking around for more kickstand options to buy an aftermarket one. Two pieces of advice I can give you: to heck with all the kickstand haters. Rock the kickstand. It is practical and it works. And careful what kind of ground you are placing the stand into. If it is kind of soft and the stand doesn't have a large footprint it will sink in over time. Believe it or not an old hotel door card does wonders here. Just place it under the kickstand and it acts like a snowshoe when you are on sand or mud.
KMC440
10/27/2017 11:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2017 11:56pm
On a mx track... not a chance in hell I'm putting one of those on. It was frowned upon because it's unsafe, I respect my fellow riders safety too much. Trail riding maybe ... probably not even then. You have a valid reason for having one on with your little one. If you ever showed up at a track I would hope they would politely require you to remove it.
JBecker 72
10/28/2017 5:21am
No way would I ever run one on a track.

The Shop

JWACK
10/28/2017 6:03am
Got one on the ole 5 Hundy. Great for desert rides.

BobPA
10/28/2017 6:31am
If you are running moto I would install one of the little rubber loops for safety. A bunch of my friends have done track days on their XC KTM's and have never thought twice about it. Modern kickstands are much better than the old 80's designs that the fools in this thread are complaining about.
10/28/2017 6:52am
i got a bike a few years back that had one that clamped on the swingarm. I took it off and never used it.
jasonward73
10/28/2017 7:22am
I run the stock KTM stand on my 450 XC-F 24/7. Moto, Hare Scrambles... whatever. Don't use the rubber band thingy either. NFG and never even know it's there.

Our Hare Scramble starts are Le Mans style so I have no choice when racing.
Forty
10/28/2017 7:38am
They’re handy as hell and design has improved dramatically but I’m one of the fools that would remove it for moto. It’s one less thing to happen poorly in a crash situation.

I’ve seen some strange ass things happen in moto crashes. No sense asking for a kickstand in the neck.
dirtmike86
10/28/2017 7:42am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2017 7:43am
Who gives a crap if they arnt cool. If its convenient then run it. I dont have one but my buddies still give me crap about having an E start. It makes perfect sense to have a kickstand out in the hills but its just added weight on the track.
mxb2
10/28/2017 7:50am
Kickstand bikes, non-moto hahhaa
Mx286
10/28/2017 8:10am
Running mx with a kickstand seems really unsafe to me. Weird things happen and it’s one less variable to deal with.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
10/28/2017 8:14am
On a track, I would struggle mentally if I had a kick stand on my bike, especially going through rhythm sections. I would have a constant thought in the back of my mind that if I case a double or triple that it would somehow come down. I realize that with the newer designs that is extremely unlikely, but I would still be thinking about it in the back of my mind - which isn't good. It would be an absolute must for me to have one of the rubber bands to secure it. When riding in the desert, I always wish I had one.
dirtmike86
10/28/2017 8:19am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2017 8:21am
Has anyone ever seen a kickstand come down while landing on a jump? Part of me thinks it might mess you up a little but the forward momentum might just kick it back. I would imagine it would take the force of landing to make it come down and at that point you are already wheels on the ground. If it came down off a lip that would be due to a faulty kickstand. Maybe iam just a dumbass.
LoudLove
10/28/2017 8:49am
In MX it's less a question of safety than need. Since most riders enter and exit the track at a designated point, and a bike stand is readily available, the kickstand is simply another moving part that adds weight.

KTM kickstands have very resilient auto-retreat mechanisms that make accidental deployments highly unlikely. Yes, they may move slightly under heavy impact, but that temporary momentum is quickly superseded by the retraction device. It's almost mandatory for off-road riding, but really just a "nice to have" in MX.
10/28/2017 9:36am
dirtmike86 wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a kickstand come down while landing on a jump? Part of me thinks it might mess you up a little but the...
Has anyone ever seen a kickstand come down while landing on a jump? Part of me thinks it might mess you up a little but the forward momentum might just kick it back. I would imagine it would take the force of landing to make it come down and at that point you are already wheels on the ground. If it came down off a lip that would be due to a faulty kickstand. Maybe iam just a dumbass.
I think the safety issue is regarding it's just one more thing that you could land on or puncture something with. Im assuming.

Since owning a enduro bike the last few years, Ive grown so accustomed to having a kickstand and headlight that I damn near thought of buying a new FE350 and building it for MX. Just not giving a fuck if I looked uncool.

That said, Im not putting a kickstand on a MX bike. But I aint gonna make fun of the guy that does.
Vet Rider
10/28/2017 9:37am
I would most likely take it off if I were to actually race. But for those practice days I would just rubber band it up.
pummel
Fantasy
528th
10/28/2017 10:05am
Tracks used to have rules- Absolutely no kick stands and headlights had to be taped up. There is absolutely no good reason to have a kick stand on a Motocross track. Too much chance for something to happen.
mxb2
10/28/2017 10:11am
pummel wrote:
Tracks used to have rules- Absolutely no kick stands and headlights had to be taped up. There is absolutely no good reason to have a kick...
Tracks used to have rules- Absolutely no kick stands and headlights had to be taped up. There is absolutely no good reason to have a kick stand on a Motocross track. Too much chance for something to happen.
X2 and broken levers, people ride with the jagged edge.
Johnny Depp
10/28/2017 10:16am
Here's a good reason, convenience. I ride my bike in all sorts of places, MX, scrambles, enduro and street. Sometimes I have the garage time to fill up a box of parts I don't need for MX, mostly I don't have the time in my week and I just roll with it as it is, even sometimes with passenger pegs and plate. I'm not in contention for any world titles at 59 years old, and I ride for enjoyment. Besides, it's fun to honk the horn on the track and turn on the signals.

colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
10/28/2017 10:17am
Please explain how a kickstand is more unsafe than a footpeg, handle bar end, lever, or hell the entire bike.
I've left the stock kickstand on my ktm for years now, and it's never unintentionally come down. Despite some nasty crashes.

The kickstand is awesome and I'll keep flying by the haters. I ain't gotta save any energy for putting the bike back on the stand Tongue
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
10/28/2017 10:32am
I've heard of people impaling themselves with kickstands, but it wasn't unique to motocross.
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
10/28/2017 12:57pm
Will the tracks you race allow that?
Johnny Depp
10/28/2017 2:48pm
imoto34 wrote:
Will the tracks you race allow that?
1 AMA race made me remove the headlight or tape it (I took it out of the mask) but none have ever said anything about anything else.
Indy mxer
10/28/2017 4:33pm
As someone said. The sport is risky enough. I try to eliminate as many of the risks as possible.

No way I'd run one for moto. Don't really understand why you would need one. The triangle stand isn't enough?

For God's sake, if your so outta shape or lazy that you need a kickstand maybe mx isn't for you.
BobPA
10/28/2017 4:46pm
There are clearly a bunch of bros in this thread who have never used modern kickstands. Lots of guys around here moto their woods bike....have yet to see a kickstand related mishap.

Next time you go to a KTM dealer, check one out on the XC's. You will understand why they are fine on the track.
JM485
10/28/2017 6:22pm
BobPA wrote:
There are clearly a bunch of bros in this thread who have never used modern kickstands. Lots of guys around here moto their woods bike....have yet...
There are clearly a bunch of bros in this thread who have never used modern kickstands. Lots of guys around here moto their woods bike....have yet to see a kickstand related mishap.

Next time you go to a KTM dealer, check one out on the XC's. You will understand why they are fine on the track.
Vital on razor sharp titanium pegs:
"So sick bro!"
"Look at the trickness!"
"Drool, so much want. . ."
"So factory!"

Vital on kickstands:
"That's totally unsafe bro"
"How dare you risk our lives bro"
"My dad's 89 XR250 kickstand always fell down bro, so this one must to"

If we're going to be idiotically rediculous about safety to the point where it defies all logic, can we at least show some consistent results on the board. . .
TeamGreen
10/28/2017 6:50pm
BobPA wrote:
There are clearly a bunch of bros in this thread who have never used modern kickstands. Lots of guys around here moto their woods bike....have yet...

JM485 wrote:
Vital on razor sharp titanium pegs: "So sick bro!" "Look at the trickness!" "Drool, so much want. . ." "So factory!" Vital on kickstands: "That's totally...
Vital on razor sharp titanium pegs:
"So sick bro!"
"Look at the trickness!"
"Drool, so much want. . ."
"So factory!"

Vital on kickstands:
"That's totally unsafe bro"
"How dare you risk our lives bro"
"My dad's 89 XR250 kickstand always fell down bro, so this one must to"

If we're going to be idiotically rediculous about safety to the point where it defies all logic, can we at least show some consistent results on the board. . .
Oh...damn!

So "Spot On"!

Laughing

Post a reply to: MX guys who run a kickstand, step in.

The Latest