MX near Memphis

Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
8/27/2017 11:08am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2017 9:07am
I may be relocating to Memphis due to work and would like to know what's in the area? And more specifically, anything good? Thanks.
|
ledger
8/27/2017 11:48am
Be careful in Memphis, certain area's you want to avoid, I don't recall any mx track's there. I picked up a new 16 YZ250F for 5800.00 OTD due to the issue mentioned, salesman said--I can't give dirt bike's away here. Check out Germantown or Cordova, Germantown being #1 and stay away from the West Side. Good luck on your move.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
8/27/2017 11:50am
ledger wrote:
Be careful in Memphis, certain area's you want to avoid, I don't recall any mx track's there. I picked up a new 16 YZ250F for 5800.00...
Be careful in Memphis, certain area's you want to avoid, I don't recall any mx track's there. I picked up a new 16 YZ250F for 5800.00 OTD due to the issue mentioned, salesman said--I can't give dirt bike's away here. Check out Germantown or Cordova, Germantown being #1 and stay away from the West Side. Good luck on your move.
thanks. I'm not worried about where to live, just where to ride!
JustMX
8/27/2017 12:37pm
ledger wrote:
Be careful in Memphis, certain area's you want to avoid, I don't recall any mx track's there. I picked up a new 16 YZ250F for 5800.00...
Mr. Ted wrote:
Your priorities are in order sir

The Shop

ledger
8/27/2017 1:24pm
Mr. Ted wrote:
Sorry I got off topic, don't know of place to ride around that area.
teamchrist
8/27/2017 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2017 3:49pm
Hidden Valley is in Covington About 45 min from Memphis. You also have a few tracks an hour or two drive down in Mississippi. North Mississippi Motorsports being one. I can't remember the name of the other. Also have archview and sky high in Missouri within a couple hours give or take. West Kentucky Motocross will be within 2-3 hours. Hope this helps.
mx317
8/27/2017 3:35pm
MX has dried up in West Tennessee except for some Hidden Valley practice days. It used to be a hotbed for moto, but now I have to head East for moto in TN. Lots of tracks in Alabama and Georgia though, but I am closer to Nashville than Memphis and its not too bad a drive for me.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
8/27/2017 4:10pm
ledger wrote:
Mr. Ted wrote:
Well if you want to be alive or have a motorcycle to ride, you will check out were to live. When I go to my client in Memphis, homicide every news broadcast. Half the employees at my client's work in memphis have either been car jack, or car stolen. Might take his advice.
JAC
8/27/2017 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2017 5:55am
As MX317 mentioned, MX has dried up in West Tennessee. But if you are willing to drive a couple of hours, there are several tracks in Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas. Try the forum on this site for ideas: https://www.mxdownsouth.com

The Memphis area consists of about 1 million people. That includes the suburbs of Germantown, Bartlett, Cordova, etc. It's easy to drive through those places and not know you weren't in Memphis. For those of us who live here, it's all the same place. Like every area that includes 1 million people, there are obviously some bad areas. But there are also lots of great neighborhoods and places of interests; restaurants, theaters, museums, music venues, a pro basketball team, a AAA baseball team, and a major university. I've lived here my entire life and my wife and I raised a son here. He went to a great school here, attends a college in Florida, and on most days he's not a jackass. He even still rides a little.

Good luck if you make the move here.

Joey
yzfmonster
8/27/2017 6:33pm
I agree with Joey. Moved here 4 yrs ago and found it not as bad as advertised. With a little common sense and awareness, we've (meaning wife & 2 small kids) have been great.

Hidden Valley MX is the only track/riding area I know of. Remember that you are close to Arkansas and Mississippi, too. I've heard good things about spots to ride in NE Arkansas. Also check in with Donnie at Graham KTM in Senatobia, MS. Great guy who races and willing to chat. Also a fellow Vital member.

Hope that helps.

Jake
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
8/27/2017 6:44pm
yzfmonster wrote:
I agree with Joey. Moved here 4 yrs ago and found it not as bad as advertised. With a little common sense and awareness, we've (meaning...
I agree with Joey. Moved here 4 yrs ago and found it not as bad as advertised. With a little common sense and awareness, we've (meaning wife & 2 small kids) have been great.

Hidden Valley MX is the only track/riding area I know of. Remember that you are close to Arkansas and Mississippi, too. I've heard good things about spots to ride in NE Arkansas. Also check in with Donnie at Graham KTM in Senatobia, MS. Great guy who races and willing to chat. Also a fellow Vital member.

Hope that helps.

Jake
Thanks. I'll be working in Memphis, for one of the big 2 employers. A lot of folks live in Germantown, Collierville or Lakeland(?). And FWIW, I lived in Chicago for a decade and have lived in Phoenix for over 20. I know a bad neighborhood when I see one.
yzfmonster
8/27/2017 6:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2017 6:57pm
yzfmonster wrote:
I agree with Joey. Moved here 4 yrs ago and found it not as bad as advertised. With a little common sense and awareness, we've (meaning...

Hope that helps.

Jake
Mr. Ted wrote:
Thanks. I'll be working in Memphis, for one of the big 2 employers. A lot of folks live in Germantown, Collierville or Lakeland(?). And FWIW, I...
Thanks. I'll be working in Memphis, for one of the big 2 employers. A lot of folks live in Germantown, Collierville or Lakeland(?). And FWIW, I lived in Chicago for a decade and have lived in Phoenix for over 20. I know a bad neighborhood when I see one.
You'll be good. My wife really likes Collierville & Germantown, and we do most of our shopping, doctor visits, etc. there. Taxes are cheaper in the county next to Shelby (Fayette Co.) so we got more house and yard for our money. Lots of good people here...welcome to the neighborhood!
Rdubs19
8/27/2017 7:00pm
teamchrist wrote:
Hidden Valley is in Covington About 45 min from Memphis. You also have a few tracks an hour or two drive down in Mississippi. North Mississippi...
Hidden Valley is in Covington About 45 min from Memphis. You also have a few tracks an hour or two drive down in Mississippi. North Mississippi Motorsports being one. I can't remember the name of the other. Also have archview and sky high in Missouri within a couple hours give or take. West Kentucky Motocross will be within 2-3 hours. Hope this helps.
Hidden valley is freaking awesome.
JAC
8/27/2017 7:24pm
Yes, Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland, and Bartlett are popular spots. It really depends on how far you are from your work and your children's school. I will admit, traffic is horrible during rush hours. So if you can live close to both your work and the school of choice, life will be much better.

We live in Bartlett, but really close to Lakeland, with easy access to I-40, which made traveling to races very convenient.

Joey
8/28/2017 6:24am
JAC wrote:
Yes, Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland, and Bartlett are popular spots. It really depends on how far you are from your work and your children's school. I will...
Yes, Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland, and Bartlett are popular spots. It really depends on how far you are from your work and your children's school. I will admit, traffic is horrible during rush hours. So if you can live close to both your work and the school of choice, life will be much better.

We live in Bartlett, but really close to Lakeland, with easy access to I-40, which made traveling to races very convenient.

Joey
I must be neighbors with JAC and not know it.
If you haven't purchased a home yet, give Bartlett/Lakeland (basically north east Shelby co.) a strong look.
Great schools and the "easy access to I-40" is a big plus.

Another cool thing with the Memphis area...just a couple hours to Loretta Lynn Ranch.
Its a great place to RV camp year round. However, this is no riding there except during designated events.
There are 2 huge woods "fun" rides there each year.
Firefly47
8/28/2017 6:40am
All I know is that every time I drive through West Memphis, I get goose bumps thinking about the West Memphis Three murders.
8/28/2017 6:43am
JAC wrote:
As MX317 mentioned, MX has dried up in West Tennessee. But if you are willing to drive a couple of hours, there are several tracks in...
As MX317 mentioned, MX has dried up in West Tennessee. But if you are willing to drive a couple of hours, there are several tracks in Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas. Try the forum on this site for ideas: https://www.mxdownsouth.com

The Memphis area consists of about 1 million people. That includes the suburbs of Germantown, Bartlett, Cordova, etc. It's easy to drive through those places and not know you weren't in Memphis. For those of us who live here, it's all the same place. Like every area that includes 1 million people, there are obviously some bad areas. But there are also lots of great neighborhoods and places of interests; restaurants, theaters, museums, music venues, a pro basketball team, a AAA baseball team, and a major university. I've lived here my entire life and my wife and I raised a son here. He went to a great school here, attends a college in Florida, and on most days he's not a jackass. He even still rides a little.

Good luck if you make the move here.

Joey
"even still rides a little" That's awesome! I remember riding with him one day at that hole in the corner of Getwell and 240. Wasn't long after that I turned my TV on and...
JAC
8/28/2017 7:20am
151 wrote:
"even still rides a little" That's awesome! I remember riding with him one day at that hole in the corner of Getwell and 240. Wasn't long...
"even still rides a little" That's awesome! I remember riding with him one day at that hole in the corner of Getwell and 240. Wasn't long after that I turned my TV on and...
Lol. The "Getwell Track" was not a great place to ride, but we went there when we had no time to drive anywhere else. I think we broke in just about every one of his small bikes there. It was better than nothing and served a purpose for us. We were thankful to guys that attempted to work the track (Getwell National Champion Ken).

I think this is the only photo I have from there. It's a pic of our neighbor on our 85.

While there are no MX tracks nearby, there are lots of places to mountain bike. One of the jewels of Memphis is Shelby Farms. It's one of the largest urban parks in the country. And it's located in the middle of Memphis.

http://www.shelbyfarmspark.org/

Joey
yzfmonster
8/28/2017 7:34am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2017 7:35am
FYI, the fall Loretta Lynn's ride day is Oct 20-22. If you make it here by then, hope you're able to make it. Looking forward to it!

Edit: Shelby Farms is awesome. Great recommendation...now I want to go ride instead of working right now
8/28/2017 9:07am
yzfmonster wrote:
FYI, the fall Loretta Lynn's ride day is Oct 20-22. If you make it here by then, hope you're able to make it. Looking forward to...
FYI, the fall Loretta Lynn's ride day is Oct 20-22. If you make it here by then, hope you're able to make it. Looking forward to it!

Edit: Shelby Farms is awesome. Great recommendation...now I want to go ride instead of working right now
This fall will be my 14th in a row counting spring and fall rides.
You used to could get a good RV spot up top so long as you went by Thursday.
Now, if you go up even as early as Tuesday...you are pushing your luck.

I've to get a mountain bike soon. Shelby farms is great I hear...along with stanky creek in Bartlett.

Post a reply to: MX near Memphis

The Latest