MX on blood thinners

Waylon
Edited Date/Time 3/7/2022 12:34am
Need some honest knowledge. Does anyone ride / race on blood thinner? Last year I developed clots in my left leg and was on Xarelto for 6 months. Was instructed no riding/mountain biking/surfing or generally anything fun. Blood work was done after 6 months and A clean bill of health was given. Now 4 months later they are in my right leg and lung. Now I'm not asking for diagnostics or sympathy, but I've come to the conclusion I'll be on this crap the rest of my life. I wear top end equipment and I know my limits, but I'll be damned if I'm sitting on my ass the rest of my life. So the question is, anybody out there ride on blood thinners? Thanks boys in advance for any input.
|
7/6/2017 5:17am
Oh wow, I don't know, Waylonbro, but I did want to say you have my sympathy - even though you don't want it. That has got to suck. I hope you find the info you're looking for and that it is good info. Did you give it a search on the interwebs?
7/6/2017 5:24am
How old are you? One big hit to the head and you could be done. Every time we have a fall come in our first question is always asking if they were on blood thinners.

Xarleto has no reversal agent too in the event of an emergency.

It might be time to switch to a quad. Of course you can always ride slow and avoid crashes like the plague. But at the end of thr day it's your choice.
Waylon
7/6/2017 5:32am
Thanks guys, and I an very aware of the risk. And as far as A quad, no effing way! I don't need A 800lb couch rolling over me. Lol. I'm 48 ride with the vets and have ridden since I was 3. I know it's easy to say "find another hobby" but have you tried? It ain't that easy! Fishing and golf are not my thing.
Mini Elsinore
7/6/2017 5:46am
I like your attitude---a lot. Always be thankful for the time you are given-----and live EXACTLY the way you want too. Let the gate fall and chase the slow guys. Wink

The Shop

354racing
7/6/2017 6:56am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2017 6:56am
In 1991 i broke a femur and pelvis at Loretta Lynn 's . Ended up with blood clots, and have been on Coumadin ever since. I'm 53 and red at least once a week. You can't just lie down and waste away.
Francis377
7/6/2017 7:21am
I work in med tech and I see a lot of people on blood thinners. Any sort of trauma to your body will put you at risk of bleeding. Even when not on blood thinners you can get some pretty big hematoma just from getting roosted. I'm sure most of us had this happen. if you can enjoy motocross while riding at a pace where your sure not to crash then you might as well. I would go trail riding if you have that option.
Gus
7/6/2017 9:44am
How old are you? One big hit to the head and you could be done. Every time we have a fall come in our first question...
How old are you? One big hit to the head and you could be done. Every time we have a fall come in our first question is always asking if they were on blood thinners.

Xarleto has no reversal agent too in the event of an emergency.

It might be time to switch to a quad. Of course you can always ride slow and avoid crashes like the plague. But at the end of thr day it's your choice.
X 2.
Airick
Fantasy
2773rd
7/6/2017 9:46am
I'm not on blood thinners, but i have a blood clotting disorder which is sort of similiar to the effect of thinners. As I've gotten older I do more harescramble type riding than moto, but that's unrelated to my medical stuff. I haven't had any crashes were my blood issue made my injurys worse, but that's not to say it cant/won't happen. I have gotten nasty bruises but that is acceptable risk, to me. I don't think about it when I ride, but if you ride and think about, that might be your answer. But whom am I to tell you if it's worth the risk to yourself?
Wandell
7/6/2017 9:51am
I developed a bloodclot back in 2011 and have been on blood thinner ever since. I wasn't racing then but was riding with my son every weekend. My son has now lost interest in riding but I still ride my pit bike on my backyard track.
kkawboy14
7/6/2017 9:59am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2017 10:05am
After my first heart failure and 1.5 years later after my open heart surgery I was riding 30 minute motos after 3 months but I was never on blood thinners. In December I had a 3rd heart failure and now I'm on blood thinners. They told me, don't do any kind of contact sports that you could break a bone because you will bleed to death. The reason for the thinners is because the heart is only at 25% ejection fraction right now and there is a risk of the blood swirling in the heart, creating a blood clot and stroke. They want the heart function to be at least 40% to get off.

Man if I just bump something I get a big bruise now.

I don't even ride my electric skateboard right now (FIIK board)
stantdm
7/8/2017 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2017 5:24pm
I am on Warfarin (coumadin). I still ride two stroke and an ATV utility vehicle but don't race. More cautious about what I do, and don't do, but I still try to do what I am comfortable with on the bike. If we ride enough then eventually we will crash but so far the damage has been that the bruises are deeper and somewhat longer lasting.

I would discuss this with your physician and be sure he understands what gear you wear and so forth. Everyone is probably a little different in their reaction to various medications so it would be important to discuss it.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/8/2017 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2017 6:40pm
Most importantly, do you currently have clots? PE? First things first.
zehn
7/8/2017 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2017 5:43pm
I'm also on Warfarin after having a massive stroke on my 20th birthday and will have to take it for the rest of my life, just like you. I'm 27 now and haven't raced since going on it. I don't know what your INR range is but I'm at 3+ and even a slight concussion could be fatal to me. I get massive purple bruises from just running into things.

I still ride (slowly) and ride MTB and downhill ski probably more aggressively than I really should, but you still need to live. I'm also more apprehensive than I used to be about certain things like moto, etc.

You can still have fun but you need to be keenly aware of the dangers of what you're doing. One thing doctors don't mention is small things like minor muscle tears become a really big issue when you're thinned out. I had a tiny muscle tear in my glute cause extreme pain for several weeks after the blood pooled around my sciatic nerve. Other injuries like joint injuries etc. become much more painful as well.

I can bet your doctor will tell you not to ride but ultimately that's your decision and you have to live with the risks it brings.
mxcrf34
7/8/2017 5:50pm
In my experience, I would say it's about what your comfortable with. I've worked in corporate wellness for quite some time and see all kinds of clients with metabolic diseases and on medications.

Pretty much boils down to what you are willing to risk. My father-in-law is on blood thinners (not sure which one) and even clipping his nails can be a tricky situation. That's about as much risk as he takes, granted he has a laundry list of problems.

And in my opinion, it seems like doctors are going to tell you the safest advice to prevent any sort of risk to you or risk of lawsuit. They treat symptoms, not causes.

As cliche as it sounds, live your life (#YOLO?). Be happy and stay active. I've seen what a sedentary lifestyle does to the human body...not good.
YamahaJT1
7/8/2017 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2017 6:13pm
If you have diagnosed DVT or similar, never ride alone ... My opinion.

Really? Only that decision can be made between you and your selected physician,,,

Hallzilla
7/8/2017 6:18pm
If moto is worth more to you than your life then ride on bro ! Seriously though I'm sure your Dr has already told you ........ "DONT RIDE" Those thinners are no Joke. Take up hiking, it's what I did when i was on Xarelto.
potatoflake
7/8/2017 6:38pm
Do not do it

You can cause internal bleeding which won't be able stop itself

I had to be on them for 12 months and it really sucked but it was a lot better than saying screw it and having something terrible happen like internal bleeding or possible death
Hank_Thrill
7/8/2017 6:49pm
Shit. I'm at the Cleveland Clinic now about to have surgery on three clots that developed in my stomach. They have been there for years apparently and I did one of the biggest marathon mountain bike races in the world last year.

I've been wondering if I'll be able to race mountain bikes again after next week.
86honda
7/8/2017 7:18pm
You have never had pain till the blood compartaminalizes in your joints from a fall on blood thinners.
APLMAN99
7/8/2017 9:02pm
If you are young, single, no kids, then risks are pretty easy to justify.

If you have a wife and/or children, I'd look at them and ask how different their lives would be after a moto crash......

Of course, we can all die of an accident at any time, obviously, but this sounds like it is upping the consequences quite a bit.
zehn
7/8/2017 9:15pm
86honda wrote:
You have never had pain till the blood compartaminalizes in your joints from a fall on blood thinners.
Very true. I had ACL recon surgery while taking warfarin... Not fun
Waylon
7/12/2017 3:27am
Thanks for the input guys. Like I said, I know the risk. Anyway an update. Back to Dr, and it looks like blood thinners indefinitly which sucks. The only good thing is I'm on Xarelto and the Dr. said if I really wanted to ride once in A while (after these clots are gone of course) that I could stop taking the thinners for 48 hours in advance, ride then take them as soon as I'm finished. Now, can't do it every weekend but, I'm thinking A few times A year. I'm going to sell my '08 crf450 and keep tinkering with my '94 cr250. It's more fun to play on.
tprice07
7/12/2017 6:33am
Waylon wrote:
Need some honest knowledge. Does anyone ride / race on blood thinner? Last year I developed clots in my left leg and was on Xarelto for...
Need some honest knowledge. Does anyone ride / race on blood thinner? Last year I developed clots in my left leg and was on Xarelto for 6 months. Was instructed no riding/mountain biking/surfing or generally anything fun. Blood work was done after 6 months and A clean bill of health was given. Now 4 months later they are in my right leg and lung. Now I'm not asking for diagnostics or sympathy, but I've come to the conclusion I'll be on this crap the rest of my life. I wear top end equipment and I know my limits, but I'll be damned if I'm sitting on my ass the rest of my life. So the question is, anybody out there ride on blood thinners? Thanks boys in advance for any input.
None of us are doctors...but if you have to ask, it's probably not worth it.

Not worth ruining your life. I'm watching a local guy lose everything because of one bad crash.

Try RC Cars.

erik_94COBRA
7/12/2017 6:54am
If you don't mind sharing, any idea why you have DVT at age 48?
Waylon
7/12/2017 2:30pm
That seems to be the question. Flew out to California and rode Glen Helen last year and after I got back to the east coast I developed one in my left leg. 6 months after thinners had blood work and got A clean bill of health. They said it was from the plane ride back. But since they are back I don't think that was the case. I get another blood test in 3 months and go from there.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/12/2017 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2017 3:35pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
After my first heart failure and 1.5 years later after my open heart surgery I was riding 30 minute motos after 3 months but I was...
After my first heart failure and 1.5 years later after my open heart surgery I was riding 30 minute motos after 3 months but I was never on blood thinners. In December I had a 3rd heart failure and now I'm on blood thinners. They told me, don't do any kind of contact sports that you could break a bone because you will bleed to death. The reason for the thinners is because the heart is only at 25% ejection fraction right now and there is a risk of the blood swirling in the heart, creating a blood clot and stroke. They want the heart function to be at least 40% to get off.

The best to you, that's a hard go. My EF was less than 15 pre transplant, went off thinners after. Bruised all the time while on them, including the inside of my fingers if I gripped something too hard.
1stSSPZ
7/12/2017 3:51pm
60 years old. Started out on Warfarin 10 years ago,(knee surgery went bad, ended up with a PE that almost killed me) switched to Xerelto last year. Still moto every weekend. Fuck it.
kkawboy14
7/12/2017 6:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
After my first heart failure and 1.5 years later after my open heart surgery I was riding 30 minute motos after 3 months but I was...

The best to you, that's a hard go. My EF was less than 15 pre transplant, went off thinners after. Bruised all the time while on...
The best to you, that's a hard go. My EF was less than 15 pre transplant, went off thinners after. Bruised all the time while on them, including the inside of my fingers if I gripped something too hard.
15% is what I was in December. Man I bit my tongue eating tonight and it has not stopped bleeding for 2 hours.

Hope your doing better now!
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/12/2017 6:58pm
kkawboy14 wrote:

The best to you, that's a hard go. My EF was less than 15 pre transplant, went off thinners after. Bruised all the time while on...
Man, glad you two are doing better. FTE, you have an LVAD before your transplant?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
7/12/2017 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2017 8:40pm
Waylon wrote:
Need some honest knowledge. Does anyone ride / race on blood thinner? Last year I developed clots in my left leg and was on Xarelto for...
I can't express this strongly enough. This is a question for your doctor, not "medical experts" here.

A friend of mine who was a world-class mountain bike racer had a heart valve replacement (with a mechanical valve), and had to run blood thinners afterwards. The sanctioning bodies wouldn't allow him to race because they feared that if he had a crash, he would bleed out before medical help could reach him.

It bugged him enough that he went back, had the surgery redone with a natural valve, and he came back to race a few more years.

I understand the desire to ride, and the reluctance to change your lifestyle. But if you have an issue with an injury at a track, you're going to also affect your friends, family, medical first responders, the track, etc.

Post a reply to: MX on blood thinners

The Latest