MX53 front tire in SoCal

OLDMOTO
7/5/2020 5:57pm
Anyone running the MX53 front tire at Cahuilla, Glenn Helen, Perris or Pala? I'm interested in how they work on both the soft dirt and particularly when it gets dry and slippery. What about the rears? How is the wear?
|
cmotodad
7/5/2020 6:03pm
I have one on the front of my CR250. Rode at Perris on Friday and it worked pretty good. Rode GH on Saturday and it wasn't even close to the MX3 on my KX450. Different bikes but you can feel the differences. MX3 was more consistent while the 53 was skatey on anything that was softer or had soft on hard base.
7/5/2020 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2020 6:17pm
Michelin starcross 5 intermediate. They would have to pay me to go back to dunlops. Cahuilla, Perris, fox, lacr and state fair regular.
Zachintosh
7/5/2020 6:24pm
I run MX3S front, MX53 rear on the same tracks. Works really well.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
7/5/2020 6:27pm
Michelin starcross 5 intermediate. They would have to pay me to go back to dunlops. Cahuilla, Perris, fox, lacr and state fair regular.
“ They would have to pay me to go back to dunlops.”

Well... guess you’ll be using Michelin’s forever then ! Tongue

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
7/5/2020 8:36pm
I've been using an MX33 (front) there and it's pretty good, I thought the MX3S was better though.

Just put on an MX53 rear though and it was good. Wanted to see how it'll last compared to MX33 rear.
7/5/2020 8:36pm
I’m running mx53 rear at all those tracks and it’s okay. It doesn’t work very well when the track is wet (obviously) but it’s pretty good later in the day when it’s dry and blue groove. I’ve been wanting to try the front
Brent
7/5/2020 8:47pm
the 53 front works in the afternoon when things dry out, but it's not so good when things are soft.

I have them on my bikes now, but Im going to change to the 33 front this week to see if it is any better in wet sand like at fox
bvm111
7/5/2020 9:12pm
Ping seems hot to trot on the 53 right now... be cool if he could chime in on why!
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
7/5/2020 10:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2020 10:10pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
Anyone running the MX53 front tire at Cahuilla, Glenn Helen, Perris or Pala? I'm interested in how they work on both the soft dirt and particularly...
Anyone running the MX53 front tire at Cahuilla, Glenn Helen, Perris or Pala? I'm interested in how they work on both the soft dirt and particularly when it gets dry and slippery. What about the rears? How is the wear?
I've noticed any good tyre, in this case we are discussing a front. We found a new tyre has a window of optimal performance.

The compound heats up and cools off, heats up and cools off and with each cool down the compound becomes harder and will loose performance on certain surfaces.

The same applies to a new tyre which has sat of a shop shelf for extended periods. It does not perform as intended when in use.

As we do not have access to the factory compounds we have our insiders who ensure we receive fresh batches when needed.

Buy you preffered brand from a dealer who moves the most stock therefore ensuring you receive rubber that has not been sitting weeks on the shelves.

TeamGreen
7/5/2020 10:21pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
Anyone running the MX53 front tire at Cahuilla, Glenn Helen, Perris or Pala? I'm interested in how they work on both the soft dirt and particularly...
I've been running the MX53 at all those tracks except Perris. It's been much better wear-wise (than a 33) and just slightly...but, less of a sand tire. It's much better in harder dirt/soil.

In the rear it works about the same (as I wrote about the front) and lasts waaaaaaaaay longer.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
7/5/2020 10:25pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
I've been running the MX53 at all those tracks except Perris. It's been much better wear-wise (than a 33) and just slightly...but, less of a sand...
I've been running the MX53 at all those tracks except Perris. It's been much better wear-wise (than a 33) and just slightly...but, less of a sand tire. It's much better in harder dirt/soil.

In the rear it works about the same (as I wrote about the front) and lasts waaaaaaaaay longer.
What took you so long ? Lol
I already knew how much you like that tire. Tongue
TeamGreen
7/5/2020 10:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2020 5:48pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
I've been running the MX53 at all those tracks except Perris. It's been much better wear-wise (than a 33) and just slightly...but, less of a sand...

langhammx wrote:
What took you so long ? Lol
I already knew how much you like that tire. Tongue
Works pretty good off-road, too...

Doesn't it?
dpingree101
7/5/2020 10:55pm
Better grip on dry or hard, still decent in wet. Also, it doesn’t claim out of ruts or search like a 33 does. It also absorbs smart chatter better and doesn’t roll when out under a load. My go-to with a 33 in the rear.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
7/5/2020 11:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2020 11:24pm
Better grip on dry or hard, still decent in wet. Also, it doesn’t claim out of ruts or search like a 33 does. It also absorbs...
Better grip on dry or hard, still decent in wet. Also, it doesn’t claim out of ruts or search like a 33 does. It also absorbs smart chatter better and doesn’t roll when out under a load. My go-to with a 33 in the rear.
What’s your take on the MX3S front ? I always liked it, but the side knobbies would rip off before the tire was worn out. Curious if they fixed that problem when they brought it back ?
MZ193
7/6/2020 11:04am
It sucks big time on sand, and on hard packed isn't that great, even tho it lasts a lot.
MidSoft 32 on the front is the best.
On the rear, it depends, Maxxis 7312 if i remember correctly was really good, Dunlop MX3S is okay, but also Pirelli MidHard is fine.
If i were you, i'd go midsoft on the front and mid hard on the rear. Both from pirelli.
Thank me later
7/6/2020 1:02pm
I’ve really enjoyed the 53 front and rear for the summer months out here when the track is only some what soft until like 11am. Have that everything round here maybe besides cahuilla gets pretty dried out and hard. Definitely has a more planted feeling entering the corners. I would like to try out a 33 rear 53 front once we get into fall and see how that works.
bvm111
7/6/2020 5:21pm
Better grip on dry or hard, still decent in wet. Also, it doesn’t claim out of ruts or search like a 33 does. It also absorbs...
thanks Ping!
Mr. Info
7/7/2020 12:56pm
Remember the knobby structure on the MX3S or MX32 was that a low air pressure the knobs would start to tear. So the MX53 front has better bridge structure to stop this but because of that it has changed the grip. I would just stay with the 53 and run a heavy duty tube and 12psi. Thats what I do on my Husky. I raise it to 13.5 for SRA GP's because of the rocks.
And depending on the year my 2017 Husky has the Air Fork and it is a about 5mm longer fork so I lower the Clamps 5mm past the 2nd line to turn better as well. This is just me. I also run lower air at 132 PSI because I let their be room to pump up and 2 out on compression from full soft but still have the feel I need. I weigh 206lbs and it works great.

Post a reply to: MX53 front tire in SoCal

The Latest