MXA's '18 450 Shootout? Did I miss it?

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
Edited Date/Time 10/18/2017 3:56pm
Is it around somewhere? The 2018.5's are almost out.
|
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/17/2017 5:30pm
Myke wrote:
They're saving it for the magazine...so another month or two I guess.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/17/2017 5:33pm
Myke wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Thanks, didn't even think of that.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/17/2017 5:39pm
Myke wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Myke wrote:
Ours has only been up for a month now TongueLaughing

Working on getting the 250F Shootout started...
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/17/2017 5:43pm
Currently you can check out our '18 450 Shootout, Keefer's, DirtRider's, TWMX's, and DirtBike's (sorta, they only posted the winner)...

MXA just finished theres a week or so ago, but are holding it for print from what I was told...

CycleNews did one right after ours, not sure when it's being released though.

Small website called DirtBikes.com is working on one...not sure on that either.

The Shop

Cancerman
10/17/2017 6:26pm
ML512 wrote:
Myke wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Ours has only been up for a month now TongueLaughing

Working on getting the 250F Shootout started...
ML512, You did a great job with your shootout. Very "Real world". You keep getting better, each year. Hand salute!
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/17/2017 6:27pm
Cancerman wrote:
ML512, You did a great job with your shootout. Very "Real world". You keep getting better, each year. Hand salute!
Thank you sir! Greatly appreciated.
JBernard_401
10/17/2017 7:02pm
ML512 wrote:
Currently you can check out our '18 450 Shootout, Keefer's, DirtRider's, TWMX's, and DirtBike's (sorta, they only posted the winner)... MXA just finished theres a week...
Currently you can check out our '18 450 Shootout, Keefer's, DirtRider's, TWMX's, and DirtBike's (sorta, they only posted the winner)...

MXA just finished theres a week or so ago, but are holding it for print from what I was told...

Whats the rationale behind MXA being the only one holding out results? Would that ever be a good thing vs your competition?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/17/2017 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 7:11pm
ML512 wrote:
Currently you can check out our '18 450 Shootout, Keefer's, DirtRider's, TWMX's, and DirtBike's (sorta, they only posted the winner)... MXA just finished theres a week...

Whats the rationale behind MXA being the only one holding out results? Would that ever be a good thing vs your competition?
Being a media outlet that gains more of their revenue from their print version, they're trying to keep it as relevant as possible. But a Shootout is so timely, it's hard to argue how it's relevant when it comes out two to three months later than the competition. There's plenty of stories that are "evergreen", meaning they're good to read anytime...which suits print. But in my opinion a bike Shootout is too timely to do that with, that's why other print outlets such as DirtRider and TWMX do an online version but keep some deeper details for print. DirtBike is owned by the same publisher as MXA and I think is under similar pressure to keep the print-side very relevant...so they only revealed the winner, which is better than nothing.

TWMX has a very strong online following, so the story works well there. DirtRider might be within their last year of existing as a print presence, so I think they'll push more online as things move forward.

Honestly, our group and Keefer Inc seem are the only two available that seem to have all the details, so definitely good for the both of us.

I can't see why you'd keep a Shootout for print when you're limited to a readership of around 50,000 there...ours has been seen by over 200,000 people in a month already...between our on-site numbers and YouTube.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/17/2017 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 7:31pm
Well I couldn't wait. Picked this up from Dustin at B&B Cycles in Victorville last Friday.

Vital and Keefer's shootouts were what I went by, and a personal reply to an email by Keefer that I sent him asking about how it would compare to the '08 crf450 I was riding pushed me over the edge to plunk down the cash.

I was looking for MXA's to see what they were giving for set up tips.

ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/17/2017 7:32pm
Myke wrote:
Well I couldn't wait. Picked this up from Dustin at B&B Cycles in Victorville last Friday. Vital and Keefer's shootouts were what I went by, and...
Well I couldn't wait. Picked this up from Dustin at B&B Cycles in Victorville last Friday.

Vital and Keefer's shootouts were what I went by, and a personal reply to an email by Keefer that I sent him asking about how it would compare to the '08 crf450 I was riding pushed me over the edge to plunk down the cash.

Ride it and drop me and/or Keefer emails, either of use would be glad to help with setup based off your feedback...MXA settings are decided pretty much based off REM conditions...

Enjoy it man!
JBernard_401
10/17/2017 7:36pm
ML512 wrote:
Being a media outlet that gains more of their revenue from their print version, they're trying to keep it as relevant as possible. But a Shootout...
Being a media outlet that gains more of their revenue from their print version, they're trying to keep it as relevant as possible. But a Shootout is so timely, it's hard to argue how it's relevant when it comes out two to three months later than the competition. There's plenty of stories that are "evergreen", meaning they're good to read anytime...which suits print. But in my opinion a bike Shootout is too timely to do that with, that's why other print outlets such as DirtRider and TWMX do an online version but keep some deeper details for print. DirtBike is owned by the same publisher as MXA and I think is under similar pressure to keep the print-side very relevant...so they only revealed the winner, which is better than nothing.

TWMX has a very strong online following, so the story works well there. DirtRider might be within their last year of existing as a print presence, so I think they'll push more online as things move forward.

Honestly, our group and Keefer Inc seem are the only two available that seem to have all the details, so definitely good for the both of us.

I can't see why you'd keep a Shootout for print when you're limited to a readership of around 50,000 there...ours has been seen by over 200,000 people in a month already...between our on-site numbers and YouTube.
Makes sense, thanks for the detailed explanation. And I'll mirror what the guy said above about the Vital reviews, really awesome in depth stuff. I can only imagine how much time that takes on the riding side, much less writing it up properly. Also awesome job when you're on Pulp, the more techy explanation the better for some of us so its awesome to have that insight you and Keefer bring. I could listen to that for hrs and I'm sure there are tons of others that can too.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/17/2017 7:41pm
Makes sense, thanks for the detailed explanation. And I'll mirror what the guy said above about the Vital reviews, really awesome in depth stuff. I can...
Makes sense, thanks for the detailed explanation. And I'll mirror what the guy said above about the Vital reviews, really awesome in depth stuff. I can only imagine how much time that takes on the riding side, much less writing it up properly. Also awesome job when you're on Pulp, the more techy explanation the better for some of us so its awesome to have that insight you and Keefer bring. I could listen to that for hrs and I'm sure there are tons of others that can too.
I'm guessing I'll be back on Pulp sometime after 250 Shootout. Keefer's is scheduled a week after mine, so we should both have them up quickly and could chat about it on an episode sometime later that month. I'll bug him about it when we're both done.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/17/2017 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 7:47pm
Myke wrote:
Well I couldn't wait. Picked this up from Dustin at B&B Cycles in Victorville last Friday. Vital and Keefer's shootouts were what I went by, and...

ML512 wrote:
Ride it and drop me and/or Keefer emails, either of use would be glad to help with setup based off your feedback...MXA settings are decided pretty...
Ride it and drop me and/or Keefer emails, either of use would be glad to help with setup based off your feedback...MXA settings are decided pretty much based off REM conditions...

Enjoy it man!
Thanks, will do! I will be at Glen Helen all day this Thursday working on getting it dialed in now that I have the correct spring rates in it, so I am sure I will have questions after that.

racer495a
10/17/2017 7:57pm
Myke wrote:

Congrats on the new bike. Just got one tooth up on the rear sprocket will be MXA's advice. Starting to see a lot of the 18 hondas at the local track lately.
Brent
10/17/2017 8:18pm
ML512 wrote:
Ride it and drop me and/or Keefer emails, either of use would be glad to help with setup based off your feedback...MXA settings are decided pretty...

Enjoy it man!
Not true, Last Thursday I saw one of their guys do one lap on the main track...

Silly
JBernard_401
10/17/2017 8:33pm
ML512 wrote:
I'm guessing I'll be back on Pulp sometime after 250 Shootout. Keefer's is scheduled a week after mine, so we should both have them up quickly...
I'm guessing I'll be back on Pulp sometime after 250 Shootout. Keefer's is scheduled a week after mine, so we should both have them up quickly and could chat about it on an episode sometime later that month. I'll bug him about it when we're both done.
Rad. Please limit yourself to Class 2 and lesser narcotics this time before the 250 review! Kidding!

kiwifan
10/17/2017 9:51pm
Lets be real, it wont be a Honda and will be a European bike
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/17/2017 10:04pm
Myke wrote:

racer495a wrote:
Congrats on the new bike. Just got one tooth up on the rear sprocket will be MXA's advice. Starting to see a lot of the 18...
Congrats on the new bike. Just got one tooth up on the rear sprocket will be MXA's advice. Starting to see a lot of the 18 hondas at the local track lately.
Thanks!
GPrider
10/18/2017 7:37am
Myke wrote:

racer495a wrote:
Congrats on the new bike. Just got one tooth up on the rear sprocket will be MXA's advice. Starting to see a lot of the 18...
Myke wrote:
Thanks!
what spring rates did you go to? I have a 17 rear spring, and the forks, I have one 18 and one 17 fork spring. going to test this weekend
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/18/2017 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2017 3:56pm
racer495a wrote:
Myke wrote:
Thanks!
GPrider wrote:
what spring rates did you go to? I have a 17 rear spring, and the forks, I have one 18 and one 17 fork spring. going...
what spring rates did you go to? I have a 17 rear spring, and the forks, I have one 18 and one 17 fork spring. going to test this weekend
I weigh 210lbs and I stayed with the stock rate fork spring and changed to a 5.9 rear shock spring. 5.6 is stock.

Post a reply to: MXA's '18 450 Shootout? Did I miss it?

The Latest